Problems running old visual novel from 2001

xPearse

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I guess here will do. That said, I've been trying to get a kinda old game from 2001 running correctly but I've been having a problem. The first game is BitterSweet Fools. Now, it installs fine but I'm not hearing any music in the game. Did anyone else run into this problem? Any solutions? 

P.S. - I'm running the game on a Windows 7 PC.

Is it an original or obtained from a torrent? If I recall correctly, Bittersweet Fools didn't had any TL; it needs to run in japanese locale and I'd recommend trying to run it in a compatibility mode as well, either the 98/ME or XP/2000 modes. Check the options and see if the sounds isn't accidentally turned off by default and try to chose an appropriate sound driver if the game requires it. Certain external audio cards and adapters (like the ones used by gaming headsets) often have problems with playing sound in older games; some of those issues can be resolved by turning off sound acceleration in the windows sound options. There is a possibility as well the game folders might not be nested properly, or the audio filepaths are wrong. Post a screencap of the main folder and I'll see what can be done.

Bittersweet Fools was Minori's debut title. Are you interested in translating it, or something? :holo:

keep in mind that running games in compatibility mode is not the holy grail, when it comes to playing the olden ones. in many cases you´ll still face difficulties with displaying the game correctly in fullscreen mode.
because those games we´re talking function without having high requirements, its advisable to play them on a surrogate-pc with windows xp installed. should be sufficient in most cases

Bittersweet Fools was Minori's debut title. Are you interested in translating it, or something? :holo:

Hee hee hee. Exactamundo. Though, I'm not a hacker so I have no clue how to access the games script to make changes. And I'm also unsure if this game has security or compression stopping people from doing just that.

2001 version comes with seperated bgm and game disks. You would need to insert/mount the bgm disk/iso (in my case, it is bfs_game.bin)

Derp. I didn't even consider that. Works fine now. Thanks a lot.