To Heart 2 for PC Translation Project

ittaku

9 hours ago, *anoyoruniyakusokushita said:

I can be the proofreader if you want. What do I have to do?

Thanks very much for the offer! I already have an efficient proofreader in @Benji Price. A 2nd proofreader pass would be helpful but is not essential and unless you are very efficient, fast and committed to doing it in a short time space, another proofread would unnecessarily slow down the final release at this stage. If you are all of those, I can send you a proofreader's test and detailed instructions for what is required, but remember this is 97,000 lines of text we're talking about that would be proofread to do the whole thing. It's best that proofreaders are consistent for the whole writing to correct differences in style. PM me if you're still interested.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a dream last night that a professional company picked up my translation and released the game in all its glory... but with my 1st pass unedited untranslate-checked script and I pleaded with them to update to the latest edited version to do the game justice but they kept refusing... Anyway that's not the first time I've dreamt about this project which has been with me for over 8 years now.

As for an update, the graphic editor @Blakeis close to finishing his decensoring and my editor/proofreader @Benji Price has almost finished his edits on Manaka's route. Once those are complete there will only be the remaining proofreading left.

1 minute ago, ybnrmalatall said:

I figured I should let you know that your website looks like crap and is super hard to read.

Anyway do you have any plans to translate "To Heart"? The first one that is.

I know and I don't really care since it's not even a token gesture, just a holding place for the downloads.

No.

So I've done a playthrough/proofread of my own of Manaka's route now that @Benji Price committed his edits. I found this quite disappointing, not because the route is bad, but because it has been the most seriously neglected route on the translation side. It was the second route translated after Konomi's, likely around 7 years ago, when my Japanese was pretty bad. However Konomi's route has had numerous iterations with some degree of translation checking and multiple edit passes so is much more polished. Later routes had the benefit of my Japanese improving so got progressively better translations. Manaka's hadn't received any translate check whatsoever and was still based on my original translation which was rather bad in areas. So I took it upon myself to play the whole route through looking for obvious mistranslations that broke the flow of logic in the story and corrected them, and changed any scene where I could hear what was said clearly didn't match what the translation said. Then I got towards the end of her route, where the real substantial part of the plot is fleshed out, and the scenes are much longer and was devastated at how bad it was in that section. So I've largely retranslated the last 10 or so scenes which missed many important plot points and the end result is now much more respectable. It's still far from perfect but at least it conveys the story far better.

What was most interesting about this experience was that I had originally thought Manaka's route quite dull, but after retranslating it, it was much more rewarding. The relationships between characters made much more sense and there were numerous things with innuendo that I missed completely the first time around. It brings up something I've been trying to tell people for ages that there really is no point reading a bad translation because it just does not do the original story justice - potentially on a scale so great that the story isn't even recognisable; I even did it to myself on this one. I used this game translation as impetus to continue learning and practice for my own Japanese and to that end it's served its purpose but I didn't want that legacy to taint the final product.

Nonetheless, I still don't feel that I'm a great translator and it does pain me somewhat knowing that the final version of this will never receive a translation check from someone else more skilled to really do it justice. I accepted this reality a while ago and for the most part I think the final product is still respectable, but Manaka's route highlighted to me just how bad it could have been. Even this close to finishing the project, I'd still happily delay releasing it if a translate checker came along to take it up to the next level - but at 97,000 lines I doubt anyone's going to put their hand up and who knows how long it would further delay this project that's already lasted 8 years.

Thank you for your hard work!
Myself, I'm a bit on the fence with translating, seeing as how I play many VNs with either VNR or ITH, as long as it makes acceptable sense, I'm okay with it. If it straight up lunacy I usually quit the game lol, so far that's only happened twice. But I'm sure that this one will be good. I want Tama-nee to tease me

53 minutes ago, ittaku said:

So I've done a playthrough/proofread of my own of Manaka's route now that @Benji Price committed his edits. I found this quite disappointing, not because the route is bad, but because it has been the most seriously neglected route on the translation side. It was the second route translated after Konomi's, likely around 7 years ago, when my Japanese was pretty bad. However Konomi's route has had numerous iterations with some degree of translation checking and multiple edit passes so is much more polished. Later routes had the benefit of my Japanese improving so got progressively better translations. Manaka's hadn't received any translate check whatsoever and was still based on my original translation which was rather bad in areas. So I took it upon myself to play the whole route through looking for obvious mistranslations that broke the flow of logic in the story and corrected them, and changed any scene where I could hear what was said clearly didn't match what the translation said. Then I got towards the end of her route, where the real substantial part of the plot is fleshed out, and the scenes are much longer and was devastated at how bad it was in that section. So I've largely retranslated the last 10 or so scenes which missed many important plot points and the end result is now much more respectable. It's still far from perfect but at least it conveys the story far better.

What was most interesting about this experience was that I had originally thought Manaka's route quite dull, but after retranslating it, it was much more rewarding. The relationships between characters made much more sense and there were numerous things with innuendo that I missed completely the first time around. It brings up something I've been trying to tell people for ages that there really is no point reading a bad translation because it just does not do the original story justice - potentially on a scale so great that the story isn't even recognisable; I even did it to myself on this one. I used this game translation as impetus to continue learning and practice for my own Japanese and to that end it's served its purpose but I didn't want that legacy to taint the final product.

Nonetheless, I still don't feel that I'm a great translator and it does pain me somewhat knowing that the final version of this will never receive a translation check from someone else more skilled to really do it justice. I accepted this reality a while ago and for the most part I think the final product is still respectable, but Manaka's route highlighted to me just how bad it could have been. Even this close to finishing the project, I'd still happily delay releasing it if a translate checker came along to take it up to the next level - but at 97,000 lines I doubt anyone's going to put their hand up and who knows how long it would further delay this project that's already lasted 8 years.

Thanks man, I remember trying to read the english translation of ToHeart2 back on 2012 and gave up on it even though I liked Manaka the most.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...