The Nexus Project (Recruiting)

Sammeh

25auelh.png

vTdK2GD.png

THE NEXUS PROJECT

Hello everyone!

I checked in with you just a little while as a writer looking for projects to work on. Somehow I stumbled my way into an accomplished programmer and designer named Helvetica Standard who is currently working on the famed OELVN Violet Hill. We got to talking and came up with an idea for a visual novel. A project of sorts. One we believe has a lot of potential.

The Nexus Project tells the story of Keiji Nakamura, a childhood prodigy. He learns at an extremely fast rate and his prowess with technology is second to none. But you wouldn’t know that by just looking at him. All he does is sit around on his computer all day, doing nothing. His parents, thinking that he's wasting his potential, transfer him to a prestigious boarding school. Thinking he's finally got some peace and quiet after a stressful move, a cyber terrorist cell codenamed 'The Nexus' begins to attack the people of Japan. Keiji, being one of the only people in the world who knows how to stop them, has to make a choice to either sit there and possibly let his world plunge into darkness or take a stand against this threat and realize his destiny.

So far we have two people on the project that will be sticking with it the whole way through.

Sammeh: The one and only. I will be the project leader and the head writer for the VN. I am more than willing to hear all ideas when it comes to story as I wish this to be a collaborative project. I have been writing for eleven years and have received numerous awards and have been approached by different publications during that time.

Helvetica Standard: The master programmer. He designed the logos for this game and studio that you see in this thread and he will be doing the entirety of the design. He’s currently heading up an OELVN project of his own called Violet Hill and has a lot of experience in the field, having been programming for two years and has been designing the entirety of his working life.

Genre:

Thriller, mystery, and romance. It takes place mainly in a highschool in the present day.

Why did we start this project?:

Honestly, I just love visual novels, so I put out a casting call and Helv was the first person to answer seriously. After that I found he was very serious about the project and obviously so am I so we clicked immediately as a team. We want to contribute to the industry as another OELVN that makes its mark.

Is it free?:

It’s free. While its overall length and the work put into it might indicate otherwise, we will be releasing the project as free.

Length/Scope of the Project:

The project will be a massive undertaking for this team. We are aiming for a story that will be 35+ hours in length with five routes and a couple bonus routes. The writing for the story is not even close to being final or finished, but this is the plan thus far.

What We’re Looking For:

Anything, honestly. However, particularly, the one thing we need most of all is an artist. Unfortunately, until we actually have an artist on the project with a decent amount of skill and can make the commitment of working on a VN we can’t really move forward with development. This means any CG/BG artist is welcome. This is a top priority at the moment, to find an artist. What we also need is a composer for the project, Q.C., and editors.

Contact Information:

The easiest way to reach us is through the following outlets.

Email: [email protected]

Fuwanovel: Sammeh or Helvetica Standard

LemmaSoft: Sammeh

So in essence we are in dire need of an artist, BG or CG, and we can use anything else at the moment right now. Please contact us if you wish to know more.

Believe me, if you want to start a visual novel project, then you yourself have to be good at something. If you are not even confident with your own ability, then better put your idea on hold.

I do believe I'm good at writing, I just don't want to make it seem like I'm boasting or anything.

Hey there,

This a really simple, real post and I'll just get it all out there.

I love visual novels. I really do. I find that they are one of the most fun past times in general that one could have and I have some really warm and happy memories from reading them as well. For a medium of media, that's really important to me, and it's why I'm also a big gamer and writer, because I have similar memories while gaming and reading.

For a long while I've wanted to create a visual novel. I've read that entire guide that we have on this forum and a bunch of other ones on other forums. I've downloaded TyranoBuilder and Ren'Py (still trying to get my head around the latter) and while I know that coding isn't for me, I've still tried to learn all I can about it. However, I've never tried to pursue it because of a lack of confidence that I could create something worth spending a lot of time on and not only that, but I have little to no art skills, musical skills, or programming skills to speak of, all I can do is write, and while I may personally believe that I'm a decent writer, it's not enough to get a product out there.

Projects come and go, many of them fail, many of them end up falling apart, but when one succeeds, it's really special. I've been on this site for almost a year and I was apart of a community waiting for a Majikoi patch to come out, and when it did, it felt like a victory for everyone. It was indescribable in a way. Katawa Shoujo, while I am aware there are mixed feelings about how justified a reputation it has, is the most successful OELVN I know of and it came from this very thing. An idea on a board somewhere in the far reaches of the internet.

So I'd like to go ahead and just put out the call. I'd like to make one. I'd like to write for one. But of course there's going to be people that need to come on and help me and I'd love for that to happen. Artists, editors, musicians, other writers, programmers, anyone who'd like to do something, we should do something.

If you'd like to do this with me, let's get in contact. Let's start coming up with ideas, cause I'm going into this as blind as you are. Let's make something special.

Thanks for your time.

It seems like Tyranobuilder has a good UI and they said it was intuitive so learning the language shouldn't be that hard. They have their own Scripting Language (TyranoScript?) that's supposed to be for VNs so I think you can learn it with some effort. Or there are some free and willing people here that can do it for you. I'm pretty sure I've seen some people here that should know programming or something.

At the very least you have the willingness to do it and you said you can write. I assume that you already have an idea of the story or something so it should be a something of a start. If you want some quality work, like from artists for character sprites/background/etc. then you might need to pay since the good ones are usually on commission.

I'd like to say that I can help you with editing/proofreading but it seems you're already good enough to do that. Also, I don't really have that much free time in the future.

I'm not sure if I can help you with anything at all but I'm rooting for you.

I do believe I'm good at writing, I just don't want to make it seem like I'm boasting or anything.

Go and say what you honestly think about your skills. People would likely join if they see that you're quite capable. Maybe throwing in some achievements might help since they are proof that you can do something.

Oh, feel free to boast actually. People are more likely to join if they know that you have the necessary skill to make the PJ a success.

It seems like Tyranobuilder has a good UI and they said it was intuitive so learning the language shouldn't be that hard. They have their own Scripting Language (TyranoScript?) that's supposed to be for VNs so I think you can learn it with some effort. Or there are some free and willing people here that can do it for you. I'm pretty sure I've seen some people here that should know programming or something.

At the very least you have the willingness to do it and you said you can write. I assume that you already have an idea of the story or something so it should be a something of a start. If you want some quality work, like from artists for character sprites/background/etc. then you might need to pay since the good ones are usually on commission.

I'd like to say that I can help you with editing/proofreading but it seems you're already good enough to do that. Also, I don't really have that much free time in the future.

I'm not sure if I can help you with anything at all but I'm rooting for you.

Go and say what you honestly think about your skills. People would likely join if they see that you're quite capable. Maybe throwing in some achievements might help since they are proof that you can do something.

First of all, thank you both for your suggestions, I appreciate both :)

I took both of your pieces of advice and added some additional notes about my 'qualifications' you might say. How long I've been writing, what kind of accomplishments I've achieved, etc. etc.

Thank you very much for rooting for me and for at least attempting to figure out something to help me out with. Again, I really appreciate it.

First of all, thank you both for your suggestions, I appreciate both :)

I took both of your pieces of advice and added some additional notes about my 'qualifications' you might say. How long I've been writing, what kind of accomplishments I've achieved, etc. etc.

Thank you very much for rooting for me and for at least attempting to figure out something to help me out with. Again, I really appreciate it.

Hmm come to think of it I might have something I can help with. Depending on what you're exactly planning to go with the VN, I could help with the GUI design. I've made some programs with GUI for school stuff but most of them are for formal stuff, like designing for a payroll/database/etc but I did have one experience where I needed to design for a game. The main idea was rock-paper-scissors but my partner and I made it into something like a turn-based game with elemental skills or something. I'm not making any promises but I might be able to help in making buttons or something if time allows it and if I can actually do it. Please don't count me in or something yet. If I'm sure that I can participate in this, I'll let you know.

And those are some seriously good achievements in writing. The farthest I got in writing was essays and reaction papers lol

Hmm come to think of it I might have something I can help with. Depending on what you're exactly planning to go with the VN, I could help with the GUI design. I've made some programs with GUI for school stuff but most of them are for formal stuff, like designing for a payroll/database/etc but I did have one experience where I needed to design for a game. The main idea was rock-paper-scissors but my partner and I made it into something like a turn-based game with elemental skills or something. I'm not making any promises but I might be able to help in making buttons or something if time allows it and if I can actually do it. Please don't count me in or something yet. If I'm sure that I can participate in this, I'll let you know.

And those are some seriously good achievements in writing. The farthest I got in writing was essays and reaction papers lol

Awesome. If you are able to do that, just let me know, and I'd love to have you aboard. That'd be cool if it works out.

Really? Well, thank you. I don't often get that so that's a nice change.

It'd be nice if you can share us at least what kind of game/story you're planning to make. That way perhaps some people might want to help you if it is interesting enough.

Upon your suggestion, I went into a little bit more depth when it comes to my ideas. It's the second edit on the page if you'd like to read it.

Hm...it would seem you're a fairly skilled writer, if your pedigree seems to be any interpretation.  Do you have any examples of your writing we could use as well?  Just standard procedure for me personally these days - it's a good move at figuring out how good a project could be in the long run.

The concept is 'passable' but the conflict isn't strong enough from my perspective.  You would need something more substantial.  What is it that ties the story together?  Is it something thematic, or the setting?  Maybe its how a single character deals with the problems at hand?

Hm...it would seem you're a fairly skilled writer, if your pedigree seems to be any interpretation.  Do you have any examples of your writing we could use as well?  Just standard procedure for me personally these days - it's a good move at figuring out how good a project could be in the long run.

The concept is 'passable' but the conflict isn't strong enough from my perspective.  You would need something more substantial.  What is it that ties the story together?  Is it something thematic, or the setting?  Maybe its how a single character deals with the problems at hand?

Hm. Depends on what you're looking for, I guess. If you want longer prose, I have a few things I could show you. If you want poetry, I have a few things I could show you. It just depends. I'll most likely send it to whoever's interested in a sample rather than post it here just to not muddy up the original post with non VN-relative information. Although that'd likely come after an understanding between the two of us has been made.

All good points to make. I guess if I did a more substantial writeup of the concept, I'd explain these things.

However, Satsuki makes the point I'm trying to get across very well. I don't want to write down the whole story, even though I'm not dead set on this idea, I don't want to spoil a plot that could end up being the entirety of the VN I will be working on. It's intentionally left vague because it's an idea and it's one that's subject to change, take it as that base value rather than a fleshed out idea. Of course, if you'd like to come aboard the project and would like to go a bit more in depth with me on the idea, then by all means, go ahead.

you could do a summary or lore about the story, it only needs like 2 paragraphs. a little advice about writing is trying new words (example: synopsis= summary ), writers who do fancy words are more recognise than people who just add words.

you could do a summary or lore about the story, it only needs like 2 paragraphs. a little advice about writing is trying new words (example: synopsis= summary ), writers who do fancy words are more recognise than people who just add words.

Definitely, but again, it's an idea that I'm not even sure where to go with. Maybe I'll write something else up when it comes to a synopsis that has a little bit more material to it, since that was just a short little thing I threw together.

However, thank you for the advice. I'm always looking for advice on, well, anything :)

This hacking story, with all honesty, interested me quite a bit. The possibilities here are endless especially if you have enough knowledge in networking and security.

I did think it was an interesting premise myself, it's why I decided mentioned it above other ideas. I think the subject of ethical hacking is something so rarely touched on by modern media that it's pretty fresh. The idea of narrating the coordination of a DoS attack or the protagonist attempting social engineering, hell, just cyberwarfare in general is a really cool premise.

This hacking story, with all honesty, interested me quite a bit. The possibilities here are endless especially if you have enough knowledge in networking and security.

I second this. Having knowledge in these subjects could be really helpful to make things more realistic. Although writing things that are too technical for the 'normal' readers might not be a good idea.

The synopsis looks good to me. It feels like this will be a battle of brains with tons of scheming. Maybe something like Death Note.

Considering this is about hacking, the UI should be somewhere around the sci-fi territory and I have a few ideas on what to make it look like. Ugh I REALLY want to participate in this project only if school didn't happen. Well, not really, I need to finish my degree but ugh.

I second this. Having knowledge in these subjects could be really helpful to make things more realistic. Although writing things that are too technical for the 'normal' readers might not be a good idea.

The synopsis looks good to me. It feels like this will be a battle of brains with tons of scheming. Maybe something like Death Note.

Considering this is about hacking, the UI should be somewhere around the sci-fi territory and I have a few ideas on what to make it look like. Ugh I REALLY want to participate in this project only if school didn't happen. Well, not really, I need to finish my degree but ugh.

I'm just gonna give you my honest thoughts:
You want to make a VN? go for it. Let no one tell you otherwise.

Be driven by your passion and motivations and never be discouraged because there will be trouble, walls, skeptic people,

negative feedback and such. you keep pushing forward and stay strong. Your will is going to fuel the inspiration of many

and people will join you in your endeavour sooner or later.

Why I'm telling you this? Because 1.5 years ago I started this journey the same way you did. Alone, armed only with my

love for VN's and no previous knowledge on what to do. Now we have an established project and our team is full of kind,

talented people driven by the same motivations and towards the same goal.

Don't give up and be true to your goal and your project will never die.

PS. I'm glad you read the resources we have here. They are there to help encourage people like you with the dream of making

a VN. The ren'py guide (made by yours truly) is a WIP and I plan to add more to it when I have the time. :P

PS.2 You're welcome to check our project thread, it might be good reference for you: http://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/2957-violet-hill-community-based-visual-novel-project-demo-released/

As a fellow project leader, you have all my support and if you need anything don't hesitate to contact me. I'll help you however I can.
Welcome to VN developing! :D

PS.3 Sent you a PM, be sure to check it out! :)

I'm just gonna give you my honest thoughts:

You want to make a VN? go for it. Let no one tell you otherwise.

Be driven by your passion and motivations and never be discouraged because there will be trouble, walls, skeptic people,

negative feedback and such. you keep pushing forward and stay strong. Your will is going to fuel the inspiration of many

and people will join you in your endeavour sooner or later.

Why I'm telling you this? Because 1.5 years ago I started this journey the same way you did. Alone, armed only with my

love for VN's and no previous knowledge on what to do. Now we have an established project and our team is full of kind,

talented people driven by the same motivations and towards the same goal.

Don't give up and be true to your goal and your project will never die.

PS. I'm glad you read the resources we have here. They are there to help encourage people like you with the dream of making

a VN. The ren'py guide (made by yours truly) is a WIP and I plan to add more to it when I have the time. :P

PS.2 You're welcome to check our project thread, it might be good reference for you: http://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/2957-violet-hill-community-based-visual-novel-project-demo-released/

As a fellow project leader, you have all my support and if you need anything don't hesitate to contact me. I'll help you however I can.

Welcome to VN developing! :D

PS.3 Sent you a PM, be sure to check it out! :)

All amazing advice and I replied to your PM. Hope to hear back from you soon :)

Hi there

I'm willing to help you with scenario/routes if you'll have me. I have a bit of experience with VN writing since I'm currently involved in another VN project. Sadly, that project is currently on hold (probably until september) since our manager/producer is having real life issues. So, I'm looking to devote my time to another project for the time being :sachi:

About me and my writing: I've been writing since I was little, but I never really got into pursuing it as a career or anything because of real life issues (lack of confidence for one). What triggered the spark for me was writing reviews for a community driven site called Sputnikmusic (samples below) which caused me to realize that writing was something I was actually quite passionate about and wanted to try getting more experience in writing at a productive level. I can't say I have a ton of experience writing stories and such but I'm motivated and willing to improve! 

Examples of my writing:

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/50539/Deathspell-Omega-Drought/

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/42706/Protest-the-Hero-Scurrilous/

http://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/10198-giveaway-love-at-first-sight-steam-key/?p=283558

PS: I'm willing to write a special sample for you if you so desire

PPS: If you're serious about this, you should consider recruiting on lemmasoft. It'll at least be easy to fill all the writer positions like that.

Hello FUWA!

Some of you already know me so I don't really need an intro but we can't have that. It would be rude ;)

So, I'm Helvetica Standard, "Helv" for short, "Veti" for some others. (so I suppose you can call me however you like xD )

I'm currently project leader for Violet Hill and recently decided to join Sammeh's project as a Programmer.

I'm looking forward to seeing this VN come to fruition and I give you all my warmest regards.