Japanese chat game (for language learners)

sanahtlig

@elairiah

ごめんなさい。実は、前文章が違って書きました。「鶏は道を通りだと、鶏の通りの理由は何ですか」は私の言うことの志向。

Sorry. Actually, I wrote the previous sentence incorrectly. "When the chicken crosses the street, what is its reason for crossing?" was my intention.

Comments and suggestions (I may be wrong):
前文章 -> 前の文章 (or 前に adverbially)
違って -> maybe 間違って would have been better?
書きました has to be passive if 文章 is the subject -> 書かれました
通りだと -> 通ると
鶏の通りの理由 would mean "the reason for crossing the chicken" I think -> 鶏が通る理由
(Or more simply using 何のために (what for): 何のために通るのですか?)

あぁぁ、私はそのことに大きな違いをしまった、またごめんなさい。

Ah... again I'm sorry for leaving that big discrepancy.

Comments and suggestions:
I'm not sure but you may have wanted to use (間)違ってしまった instead of をしまった.
Also you need the て-form instead of the た-form to coordinate your sentences -> しまって I think
(Or you can make two sentences and end your first at しまった.)

その文章を書いて時、私が思いませんでした。

When I wrote that sentence, I didn't think [?].

Not sure about this one. Comments:
書いて時 -> 書いた時 here you actually need the predicate version た instead of the continuative て
I don't really know what you meant to say by 「私が思いませんでした」

@astro:多すぎ失敗だ。援助にありがとうございました。でも、そうなことは頭痛になりますか。

@astro: There are too many mistake. Thank you for your help. However, are such things becoming a headache ? [???]

I didn't get the end of the sentence. Besides, I think:
多すぎ失敗だ -> 失敗が多すぎる; the basic rule is 〜い (adj) -> 〜すぎる (-ru verb)
援助にありがとう -> 援助をありがとう
そうなこと -> did you mean そんなこと?

@sanahtlig

@Renumnumさん:まあ、そうでしょうねえ。ちょっと粗相かも知らないです。気おつけます。

Well, that's true. I was perhaps a little careless; I'll pay more attention.

Comments:
かも知らない -> did you mean かも知れない ?

Same as elairiah, I also don't get what you meant by 死になければ in your other sentence

とにかく、皆さんは最近日本語で何を読んでみたのですか?
私はすでに翻訳したライトノベルを読んでいます。まず英語で一度読んでから、また日本語で同じ文を読むのです。

とにかく、皆さんは最近日本語で何を読んでみたのですか?

私はすでに翻訳したライトノベルを読んでいます。まず英語で一度読んでから、また日本語で同じ文を読むのです。

Anyhow, what was the latest thing in Japanese that everybody read? Lately I've been reading a translated light novel. To start with, I hardly ever read in English, also I read Japanese at the same speed I read in English. (I'm not too confident in my translation of the last sentence. Could somebody tell me if my translation was valid, and if not, what did I interpret wrong?)

私はついさっきSNOWを読んだ。私は失楽園(Milton's Paradise Lost)を読んだからParadise Lost (エロゲ)迚も欲してを読みたい。

At best I screwed up a bit with this sentence, most likely I screwed up a lot. So somebody please help me out (お願いします).

Anyhow, what was the latest thing in Japanese that everybody read? Lately I've been reading a translated light novel. To start with, I hardly ever read in English, also I read Japanese at the same speed I read in English. (I'm not too confident in my translation of the last sentence. Could somebody tell me if my translation was valid, and if not, what did I interpret wrong?)

About 私はすでに翻訳したライトノベルを読んでいます。まず英語で一度読んでから、また日本語で同じ文を読むのです。

I think he meant that he is reading a novel that has already been translated, and that what he's doing is first reading in English and then reading the same sentences (not "speed") again in Japanese.

Hopefully renumnum can confirm that by and by...

(I can't add anything to the convo right now; it's time to retire and Japanese takes me a long time to write...)

About 私はすでに翻訳したライトノベルを読んでいます。まず英語で一度読んでから、また日本語で同じ文を読むのです。

I think he meant that he is reading a novel that has already been translated, and that what he's doing is first reading in English and then reading the same sentences (not "speed") again in Japanese.

Hopefully renumnum can confirm that by and by...

(I can't add anything to the convo right now; it's time to retire and Japanese takes me a long time to write...)

私はすでに翻訳したラノベ = A light novel that I have (already) translated

私はすでに翻訳されたラノベ = A light novel that has (already) been translated

私はすでに翻訳したラノベ = A light novel that I have (already) translated

私はすでに翻訳されたラノベ = A light novel that has (already) been translated

But that would imply that renumnum was the one who translated it (is that true?)

But that would imply that renumnum was the one who translated it (is that true?)

Oops, I guess I wrote that wrong then. Of course it's not I who translated it, as that would make no sense. I just forgot to use the passive... I have some trouble with the passive; sorry about that, and thanks @astro for clarifying. ^_^" (And please do not hesitate to point out other mistakes I made if you have some time to spare...)

Well, since we're all learning (except those who aren't...), it's part of the game to guess at what others are trying to say ! (And @zoom909's understanding of the sentence was right, though my form was wrong, sorry.)

私はついさっきSNOWを読んだ。私は失楽園(Milton's Paradise Lost)を読んだからParadise Lost (エロゲ)迚も欲してを読みたい。

Just recently, I've read SNOW. Since I've read Milton's Paradise Lost, I really want to get the eroge Paradise Lost and try reading it.

As far as I can tell:

* it's not incorrect but unecessary to repeat 私は since the topic stays the same;

* I've seldom seen 欲っする as a verb, though 欲しい is very common;

* I don't get the を after 欲っして, though it would make sense I guess without を and て as a coordination.

Too lazy to correct everything, but the things that bugged me most:

痛い vs 痛んでいる。 my eye hurts vs my eyes are are in pain right now?

勉強で vs 勉強に why de and no ni there mmm

I'm not ready for this thread yet :P my japanese is too basic and bad right now xD

I'm not ready for this thread yet :P my japanese is too basic and bad right now xD

まあ、新米のうちは皆がミスをすることは自然でしょう……と言いたいですけど、やはり間違えるならまだ少し恥しいですね。

Plus, once you get it wrong a few times... you get used to the shame of failing to express yourself everytime. :-'

More seriously, I think we're all trying to say things at the limit of our own level, and that's why we make mistakes, but that's also how we get better.

まあ、新米のうちは皆がミスをすることは自然でしょう……と言いたいですけど、やはり間違えるならまだ少し恥しいですね。

Plus, once you get it wrong a few times... you get used to the shame of failing to express yourself everytime. :-'

More seriously, I think we're all trying to say things at the limit of our own level, and that's why we make mistakes, but that's also how we get better.

It's not about feeling shame or something (well a little bit maybe :P ) we all make mistakes I know but my level is really basic right now, I will improve a little bit and come back with a few lvls up, gonna kill some particle and kanji mobs :P my goal is to handle N5 by July and N4 by the end of the year (with a lot of effort)

痛い vs 痛んでいる。 my eye hurts vs my eyes are are in pain right now?

勉強で vs 勉強に why de and no ni there mmm

You generally only use 痛んでいた to say "was hurting" but if you're using the verb for 痛い then you'd still only use 目が痛む to say "my eyes hurt."

Similarly, if you wanted to say "class is starting," you'd write 授業が始まる and not 授業が始まってる

In Japanese you actually say "class is going to start" (before it actually starts; as in the start of class is imminent) as opposed to "the start is taking place right this moment." The reason is because the point in time where the class is actually in the state of starting lasts only for a split second. After that, class is already in session (and not "start-ing"). Since でいる suggests a persistent action taking place, it does not make sense for it to be used in these cases.

It is actually the opposite for words like 知っています。If you're trying to say "I know," you say 知っています (not 知ります) and if you want to say "I didn't know," you'd write 知らなかった (not 知ってなかった)

As for 勉強、に is used to indicate movement or change of state, so that can't be used here. You can think of で as being used for "B, as a result of A." For example, 学校で忙しい = Busy cus school

• 2 weeks later...

書くのは無理だ(わ = very feminine marker lol)

Well, I know the main use and intonation is very feminine, but...

Isn't it used in natural speech from time to time by young guys without being overly feminine? I see it occasionally in youtube vods.

Well, this isn't the first time I've been lol'd at for (half-jokingly) using that. 散々笑われてました。