Signatures Hub

Rose

CnC = Constructive Criticism

Alright here it goes:

First of all, as much as possible, follow the rule of thirds. It helps greatly in having the viewer look at the intended part of the piece. It's applicable in almost everything unless you're really aiming for something complete different. Like some sort of a design where you have the subject at the center and having details (text) in either side.

Secondly, resizing renders. As much as possible, resize renders proportionally. You can do this by ctr+T then drag diagonally while holding shift. I'm not sure what you did this one since it looks like it was flattened but renders doesn't necessarily have to fit in the whole signature. Just the important parts (face, upper body, etc) whatever you think needs to be in the signature but fitting the whole thing isn't recommended.

Thirdly, text. As much as possible, try not to divide text. Put it in a simple way like having a main text and putting a sub text below. Separating them confuses the viewer and sometimes take away the attention from the render itself.

Fourthly, sharpening. This is a bit of a guesswork on your part since this can be too much or not enough. Try to sharpen the important parts but that doesn't necessarily mean the whole render. This is one way of sharpening.

You don't have to follow this since it's only one method. There are multiple ways you can sharpen and you should go with what fits best in your style.

Lastly, colors. I know, I'm not one to talk since most of the works I did here are monotone but that doesn't mean it's correct (I have tons of mistakes). Try to use different colors. You could search up complementary colors to know which colors fit together. Try to limit it to two tho. Handling three or more colors can be quite a challenge.

I also thought about blurring but this is mostly preference. I blur stuff to oblivion while others just do it subtly. Some also don't blur stuff at all and just darken stuff.

That was a nice read, though I know and I've been told most of it already. Yeah, the image wasn't resized properly but I now do it right, don't worry. I personally really like divided text and I think it looks good most of the time, though I understand the point you're making. Same for sharpening as it was with resizing, though I'm still not exactly good at it yet. Hm, colors is really subjective, I personally loved them. I can't blur for shit T_T. Thanks for the input, I'll keep them in mind even more in the future.

I just made this but I don't have any font on my notebook so I used this one, does anyone know a font that would fit it better? Also, which looks better, 1 or 2?

v1

vvmIUcw.jpg

v2

OUTTmCX.jpg

Roach-kun... Dai Suki!

sorry I couldn't resist

B-Baka!

Today, I had this random thought that basically went like "I want to make something with that girl from Tokyo Ghoul as the render".

And I haven't even watched Tokyo Ghoul.  :sachi:

RXv9Yvt.png

Random thoughts:

I tried to make it looks dark and creepy, but damn it was harder than I expected. I think I will just stick with my cute and flowery signature. ヽ(◕‿◕✿)ノ

Not really sure if the broken glass looks good, maybe I should've lower the opacity a bit more...

Also the right area looks reaaally empty compared to the left one. Maybe I should move the blood to the right?

I'll probably edit it again and add some text on top of the glass later. For now, I need some sleep.  :sleep:

Well I can't stop your from liking that kind of text. Well it also has their charm in them if you do them right, just a bit more difficult. Sharpening and stuff is more on application rather than theory so getting your hands dirty in practicing would be better. You'll get the hang of it with enough time and effort. Also, you can just forget blurring and stick with darkening the supposedly blurred parts. Although I wouldn't recommend it. A little gaussian blur of 2px in the background is usually enough.

I'd go with the first one. The contrast in the second one is too stronk and too widespread. The whole thing just pops out. And I think you overdid the blurring with this one. You did get it right to put it but the face but try to spread it a little over the upper body, too. Having the face as the sole focus looks creepy. I like the colors tho. Oh yeah and you could also try covering the render's unimportant parts with something else. They usually use abstract c4d with this one. And a little tip on the choice of render. This one had a perspective from above so choosing a background appropriate to that would be the best. Using an abstract background that has no perspective doesn't really fit.

Sorry for being too critical. I just can't help it. I'll stop it you want tho.

Yeah, I like it a lot, just gotta keep experimenting until I'm able to use it properly, I'm aware that it's not for all situations. Care to elaborate more about the blur x darken?

I honestly just blurred because of reasons, funny thing is that I don't even notice it now, must be a feel that comes with time. If by unimportant parts you meant the thing to the right or the clothes, I see them as needed because of the character. That's a Wanderer from Ragnarok Online and the clothes and the weapon are really important to define it, otherwise there's no way I'd be able to know it, more of a personal matter I guess. Hm, I'm really bad with backgrounds, what kind of bgs would you suggest there?

Relax, just be cool. As long as you're not mindlessly flaming people or being arrogant, it's all fine. Feedback is always good and I'm sure all of us who're making signs appreciate it.  :wafuu:

B-Baka!

Today, I had this random thought that basically went like "I want to make something with that girl from Tokyo Ghoul as the render".

And I haven't even watched Tokyo Ghoul.  :sachi:

RXv9Yvt.png

Random thoughts:

I tried to make it looks dark and creepy, but damn it was harder than I expected. I think I will just stick with my cute and flowery signature. ヽ(◕‿◕✿)ノ

Not really sure if the broken glass looks good, maybe I should've lower the opacity a bit more...

Also the right area looks reaaally empty compared to the left one. Maybe I should move the blood to the right?

I'll probably edit it again and add some text on top of the glass later. For now, I need some sleep.  :sleep:

Yeah, lowering the opacity should be good. I honestly didn't noticed the blood until I read your random thoughts rofl. I think the left are could use just a little bit more of content, not sure if moving the blood would be the answer. The bottom left corner is a bit weird imo.

Your usual style is really good but this one was also great, though it's visible that you're not used to it. If you're enjoying it, keep it up. :mare:  

I really need to get on the forums more. Just noticed this. Great stuff. 

Shameless advertisement, go! http://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/blog/19-fabulous-on-fuwa/

Yeah, I like it a lot, just gotta keep experimenting until I'm able to use it properly, I'm aware that it's not for all situations. Care to elaborate more about the blur x darken?

I honestly just blurred because of reasons, funny thing is that I don't even notice it now, must be a feel that comes with time. If by unimportant parts you meant the thing to the right or the clothes, I see them as needed because of the character. That's a Wanderer from Ragnarok Online and the clothes and the weapon are really important to define it, otherwise there's no way I'd be able to know it, more of a personal matter I guess. Hm, I'm really bad with backgrounds, what kind of bgs would you suggest there?

Relax, just be cool. As long as you're not mindlessly flaming people or being arrogant, it's all fine. Feedback is always good and I'm sure all of us who're making signs appreciate it.  :wafuu:

That would be quite a feat to master that kind of text. I just stick with the simple ones because it's easier to use and faster to make. Typography is one of my weakest points so I try to keep it simple so I'll not mess up so much.

Hmmm there are two ways to stop attention from going to certain spots; blur or darken.

Blur is more popular because it's easier to use and more effective. Some people just don't like how blur looks so they keep it to minimal or none at all. Alternatively, you can just darken stuff. For background in general, just create a new layer on top of the bg and fill it with black color. Keep it in Normal and adjust the opacity. Around 10% ~ 20% should work. You could also erase some parts you want to keep bright for reasons. For the whole sig itself, use a soft black brush and brush it over the parts you don't want attention in a new layer. I usually use a really big brush on this one and brush it outside the workspace. You could also just use a smaller brush and precisely cover the parts you don't need. You'll need to adjust the opacity on this one. Use Darken/Overlay/Normal. Darken and Normal works the same with this one but Overlay is a bit trickier. You'll see what I mean when you use it yourself.

As for choosing what to blur and what not to blur, it comes in time, yes. Hmm as for me I don't directly blur stuff. I do it in the end and just use an inversed layer mask for the sharpening. If I can say any guideline, I only have the ones that cover the render blurred. Like those vector circles or something. And yes, most of the time I blur my backgrounds to oblivion.

Hmm for choosing backgrounds I usually stick with the ones that have the similar theme and/or color with the render. Although there are exceptions when I really want a background and adjust the coloring of it myself. You could manipulate the color of the render/background by using Selective Color. It helps a lot when you really need to fit two things together. Like I said above, I blur my backgrounds to oblivion because I'm too lazy to choose one myself. But the above guidelines should help. 

The background you'll need with this render is kinda tricky. The perspective of this one is from above if I'm not mistaken so a background with the same perspective is a must. That or use abstract bg like you used with this one but add some c4ds to give a sense of depth. C4ds are really convenient to use since blurring them appropriately gives a really good sense of depth.

I'm glad if you're picking up some stuff in my blabbering. But practice is the key here so practice when you have some free time. Simply reading about this will help but knowledge + application is the one that'll be your best teacher.

Yeah, lowering the opacity should be good. I honestly didn't noticed the blood until I read your random thoughts rofl. I think the left are could use just a little bit more of content, not sure if moving the blood would be the answer. The bottom left corner is a bit weird imo.

Your usual style is really good but this one was also great, though it's visible that you're not used to it. If you're enjoying it, keep it up. :mare:

Wait. Now that you mention it, the bottom left part looks waaaaay too blurry compared to the rest of the signature.

I wanted it to look like it's the furthest part from the render so I blurred it a little, though it seems I went overboard at some point. Maybe I should rotate it a little too so it doesn't cover too much space.

I don't really like the look of the glass effect honestly, but it was the best image I could find on google. I guess it's time to search for some broken glass brushes. :sachi:

Thanks for your feedback!

Request: For now, I would like an avatar, please~
Character: My request is a vertically split frontal with Heiwajima Shizuo on one side and Alucard from Hellsing Ultimate on the other if possible
Render: This is where it gets tricky, I don't have any matching pictures :/ If someone is able to draw this well also, that would be an amazing alternative but I can't really contribute much with regards to renders  :vinty:

Typography: n/a

Other: Be prepared to have my eternal gratitude should you do this for me <3

Request: For now, I would like an avatar, please~

Character: My request is a vertically split frontal with Heiwajima Shizuo on one side and Alucard from Hellsing Ultimate on the other if possible

Render: This is where it gets tricky, I don't have any matching pictures :/ If someone is able to draw this well also, that would be an amazing alternative but I can't really contribute much with regards to renders  :vinty:

Typography: n/a

Other: Be prepared to have my eternal gratitude should you do this for me <3

I honestly couldn't find anything close to good enough for a split frontal, mostly due to Alucard having almost no renders. I haven't watched Hellsing so I can't tell the difference between the classic and the Ultimate one, but I believe it's the clothes? Anyway, I found nothing with the Ultimate one as well. I tried making a diagonal split but I have mixed feelings about the results. You don't have to take any of them, I can try to look a bit more or even maybe try to make a good render if you want me to.

This one was the first try. Alucard's render is kinda weird and you could argue about the character being him or not since there are none of his special traits I guess. 

Ebr9IsG.jpg

This was the second and it's easy to say that it's Alucard here, though the render doesn't mix well with Shizuo. 

NiMhHfN.jpg

I honestly couldn't find anything close to good enough for a split frontal, mostly due to Alucard having almost no renders. I haven't watched Hellsing so I can't tell the difference between the classic and the Ultimate one, but I believe it's the clothes? Anyway, I found nothing with the Ultimate one as well. I tried making a diagonal split but I have mixed feelings about the results. You don't have to take any of them, I can try to look a bit more or even maybe try to make a good render if you want me to.

This one was the first try. Alucard's render is kinda weird and you could argue about the character being him or not since there are none of his special traits I guess. 

Ebr9IsG.jpg

This was the second and it's easy to say that it's Alucard here, though the render doesn't mix well with Shizuo. 

NiMhHfN.jpg

That would be quite a feat to master that kind of text. I just stick with the simple ones because it's easier to use and faster to make. Typography is one of my weakest points so I try to keep it simple so I'll not mess up so much.

Hmmm there are two ways to stop attention from going to certain spots; blur or darken.

Blur is more popular because it's easier to use and more effective. Some people just don't like how blur looks so they keep it to minimal or none at all. Alternatively, you can just darken stuff. For background in general, just create a new layer on top of the bg and fill it with black color. Keep it in Normal and adjust the opacity. Around 10% ~ 20% should work. You could also erase some parts you want to keep bright for reasons. For the whole sig itself, use a soft black brush and brush it over the parts you don't want attention in a new layer. I usually use a really big brush on this one and brush it outside the workspace. You could also just use a smaller brush and precisely cover the parts you don't need. You'll need to adjust the opacity on this one. Use Darken/Overlay/Normal. Darken and Normal works the same with this one but Overlay is a bit trickier. You'll see what I mean when you use it yourself.

As for choosing what to blur and what not to blur, it comes in time, yes. Hmm as for me I don't directly blur stuff. I do it in the end and just use an inversed layer mask for the sharpening. If I can say any guideline, I only have the ones that cover the render blurred. Like those vector circles or something. And yes, most of the time I blur my backgrounds to oblivion.

Hmm for choosing backgrounds I usually stick with the ones that have the similar theme and/or color with the render. Although there are exceptions when I really want a background and adjust the coloring of it myself. You could manipulate the color of the render/background by using Selective Color. It helps a lot when you really need to fit two things together. Like I said above, I blur my backgrounds to oblivion because I'm too lazy to choose one myself. But the above guidelines should help. 

The background you'll need with this render is kinda tricky. The perspective of this one is from above if I'm not mistaken so a background with the same perspective is a must. That or use abstract bg like you used with this one but add some c4ds to give a sense of depth. C4ds are really convenient to use since blurring them appropriately gives a really good sense of depth.

I'm glad if you're picking up some stuff in my blabbering. But practice is the key here so practice when you have some free time. Simply reading about this will help but knowledge + application is the one that'll be your best teacher.

Guess I'll try using blur more and see if I find it comfortable to work with, though darken seems to suit my style better just by looking. And yeah, your backgrounds are always screaming rofl. I'll work more with the selective color then, if it helps with bgs, I'll take anything, though like I said, I lack all the bgs I had so it's even harder now for me. T_T

Yeah, practice is important but from reading you can cut through a lot of the trial and error process, which accelerates the rate of your growth as a designer. It's good to share feedback like this, I got a new trick or two already just from this short spam of time that the thread has been up.  :wafuu:

Wait. Now that you mention it, the bottom left part looks waaaaay too blurry compared to the rest of the signature.

I wanted it to look like it's the furthest part from the render so I blurred it a little, though it seems I went overboard at some point. Maybe I should rotate it a little too so it doesn't cover too much space.

I don't really like the look of the glass effect honestly, but it was the best image I could find on google. I guess it's time to search for some broken glass brushes. :sachi:

Thanks for your feedback!

You're welcome. =D

I myself tried doing this but it seems close to impossible. The proportions of the characters in the original design is quite different. It's really obvious when you focus on the facial details. Well if we had two illustrations that was drawn by the same artist then it might be possible.

I think this approach would be the most realistic. Idk about you guys but I have no ideas left on how to do this other than the one Rose did.

Yeah, I don't think it's possible unless someone makes an original art of it. 

Guess I'll try using blur more and see if I find it comfortable to work with, though darken seems to suit my style better just by looking. And yeah, your backgrounds are always screaming rofl. I'll work more with the selective color then, if it helps with bgs, I'll take anything, though like I said, I lack all the bgs I had so it's even harder now for me. T_T

Yeah, practice is important but from reading you can cut through a lot of the trial and error process, which accelerates the rate of your growth as a designer. It's good to share feedback like this, I got a new trick or two already just from this short spam of time that the thread has been up.  :wafuu:

Hmm there are downloadable packs that contains some good bg along with a set of useful stuff like c4ds, stock images, psd references, etc.

Here's the site: http://sig-lab.com/forum.php

I think they're called resource packs or something. I've only downloaded a couple of packs but they're pretty useful.

Although most of my backgrounds are from google-kun that I searched for on the spot for some specific things and found itself in my hard drive.

They also have some tuts here so you might wanna read through some when you have some free time. They have some for basic and advanced users alike. I'm not one who uses tutorial much (personal reasons) but they should help you with some stuff.

Glad to be helpful with this kind of things. Throw me in some feedback to when I post up stuff here.

The original idea I had was similar to the profile picture of the user on fuwanovel (I cannot remember his name or if he even has that profile picture still) that has Makise Kurisu and a character from Muv Luv Alt. with a vertical split down the middle and it only showed they're faces for the most part iirc. The designs for those two lined up really well though  :wafuu:

Ebr9IsG.jpg

NiMhHfN.jpg

That second one was awesome on Alucard's part but like you said it conflicts with the Shizuo picture simply because the latter doesn't reflect Shizuo's character perfectly. One where Shizuo looks pissed, has more facial expression, or is doing something would be preferable like:

You don't

have to use these specifically btw although I definitely like these two a ton, especially the first one.. My only condition is I would like it to remain as faithful to the original design as possible (there happens to be a lot of otome-esque pictures of Shizuo that don't really look like him when it all comes down to it, who knew  :yumiko: )

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2011/332/9/0/render_shizuo_by_misakiamour-d4hl2v0.png

http://www.renders-graphics.com/image/upload/normal/shizuo_render_v3.png

I do like it though ^^ and if you guys want to try more for fun, I would appreciate that as well~

I actually stumbled upon an Alucard picture that seems to complement the first render that resembles my current profile picture very well although I do not think this one is a render yet. You think it'd work as a render in the diagonal style of split that you did?

hs_alucard118.jpg?=123

I myself tried doing this but it seems close to impossible. The proportions of the characters in the original design is quite different. It's really obvious when you focus on the facial details. Well if we had two illustrations that was drawn by the same artist then it might be possible.

I think this approach would be the most realistic. Idk about you guys but I have no ideas left on how to do this other than the one Rose did.

Yeah my biggest fear was the incompatibility of the two art styles/character designs although they would look pretty bad-ass together (the source of my interest)

The original idea I had was similar to the profile picture of the user on fuwanovel (I cannot remember his name or if he even has that profile picture still) that has Makise Kurisu and a character from Muv Luv Alt. with a vertical split down the middle and it only showed they're faces for the most part iirc. The designs for those two lined up really well though  :wafuu:

That second one was awesome on Alucard's part but like you said it conflicts with the Shizuo picture simply because the latter doesn't reflect Shizuo's character perfectly. One where Shizuo looks pissed, has more facial expression, or is doing something would be preferable like:

You don't

have to use these specifically btw although I definitely like these two a ton, especially the first one.. My only condition is I would like it to remain as faithful to the original design as possible (there happens to be a lot of otome-esque pictures of Shizuo that don't really look like him when it all comes down to it, who knew  :yumiko: )

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2011/332/9/0/render_shizuo_by_misakiamour-d4hl2v0.png

http://www.renders-graphics.com/image/upload/normal/shizuo_render_v3.png

I do like it though ^^ and if you guys want to try more for fun, I would appreciate that as well~

I actually stumbled upon an Alucard picture that seems to complement the first render that resembles my current profile picture very well although I do not think this one is a render yet. You think it'd work as a render in the diagonal style of split that you did?

hs_alucard118.jpg?=123

Yeah my biggest fear was the incompatibility of the two art styles/character designs although they would look pretty bad-ass together (the source of my interest)

I'm aware of the user you're talking about, though I think both images were from the same artist, probably it was intended to be like that from the beginning, not sure though. I quite liked the outcome I got using the second picture you suggested, tell me what you think about it. And the Alucard's image is not working, if you fix it I could try to work with it.

I also tried adding a border, yay or nay?

v3

DbFxTt0.jpg

v3 with border

LpM8TXL.jpg

I'm aware of the user you're talking about, though I think both images were from the same artist, probably it was intended to be like that from the beginning, not sure though. I quite liked the outcome I got using the second picture you suggested, tell me what you think about it. And the Alucard's image is not working, if you fix it I could try to work with it.

I also tried adding a border, yay or nay?

v3

DbFxTt0.jpg

v3 with border

LpM8TXL.jpg

Oooo I really like how that turned out~ the border looks nice as well

Here's the other alucard image, I think a split with the other two would look pretty fantastic too, then I could have two to go to  :sachi:

8pwzApU.jpg

I really appreciate it btw ^^

Oooo I really like how that turned out~ the border looks nice as well

Here's the other alucard image, I think a split with the other two would look pretty fantastic too, then I could have two to go to  :sachi:

8pwzApU.jpg

I really appreciate it btw ^^

I'll work on it later/tomorrow, it'll take a bit more of work but I think the outcome might be good. I'd do it now but gotta go to uni soon.  :vinty:

No rush, thanks rosey~

I couldn't use the render that you use on your current avatar because it's chopped top and bottom, it wouldn't fit well no matter what I did so I tried a different one, I liked the outcome but Alucard's render and this one don't mix too well on their styles, but I think it was good regardless. From all of those, my personal favorite was v3.

v4

2aBi1QO.jpg

v4 with border

0WuxE5q.jpg

Request: Signature. I don't know about dimensions XD
Character: Mami of Madoka Magica

18000f8000de3cf46dc3b8acf48b65a8.jpg

Render: Lol wut?
Typography: Afraid of someone coming stronger coming along to challenge you? That kind of thinking is only for losers. 
Other: Nothing that I can think of, but if you can't fit the last bit of the typography on, I don't mind it being left off :)