police officer in trouble for using a clannad meme

krill

seriously? people are to hyper sensitive.  so apparently just using a meme thats used all over the net constantly hell ive seen it used here plenty of times is enough to start some shit.  what are your guys thoughts on this? did he go to far? was this way to over sensitive of a over reaction? 

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-05-13/police-officer-lands-in-hot-water-after-sending-clannad-meme-image-with-racial-pejorative/.88140

To be fair, the tension between cops and black people in the USA has been pretty high recently, from what I've heard. It's still an overreaction though, they'd be better off suspending the cops that kill people without pay, not the ones sending "offensive text messages".

Nowadays, it's like one is walking on eggshells all the time thanks to the PC (Politically Correct) society that we live in. Whether it be at our jobs, academia, or in a public space there are certain words that illicit a pavlovian response out of people, thus resulting in punishment for daring to use said 'forbidden' words like 'nigga' or any other word that can offend someone. Unfortunately for this guy, he was made an example of by his employers and will no doubt be denigrated in the media for some time.

Just goes to show you, can't entirely trust that the person receiving your message won't report  you for using language that seems in any way offensive to them. A lot of people seem to get off on hyperbole, just ignore them and don't choose to self-censor your words just to please someone else's expectations of what constitutes as 'proper language.' Someone may argue that because he's in a position of power he should take heed of his words in order to not inflame certain minorities, but if that's the case then we should hold everyone to the same standards. It irks me when I hear when someone gets mad because someone uses an 'offensive' word against them, but at the same time turns around and calls their peers by the same 'offensive' word. In conclusion, nothing to see here folks, just another example of how topsy-turvy this world is.

After discovering that sitting down is a form of oppression, statues of old English authors are oppresive to minorities, that disease names are triggering and that greek mythology should require trigger warnings for students, this seriously (and sadly) doesn't even faze me anymore.

We now live in a world where being offended automatically seems to give you entitlement to have it your way. We really need to colonize Mars soon and leave these people here on Earth.

After discovering that sitting down is a form of oppression, statues of old English authors are oppresive to minorities, that disease names are triggering and that greek mythology should require trigger warnings for students, this seriously (and sadly) doesn't even faze me anymore.

We now live in a world where being offended automatically seems to give you entitlement to have it your way. We really need to colonize Mars soon and leave these people here on Earth.

So basically...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaY9k6tuLog

I personally wouldn't have sent that to my superior, but still, if he was off-duty and nobody else saw it, there was no reason for it to become a media shitstorm.  At the most, a private reprimand would have sufficed.  Public shaming for something this small is disgraceful to the people running the police station, and paints a target on the poor guy for doing nothing more than privately joking with someone.

"Students in the UK are also questioning the lack of diversity in higher education. They are asking: 'why isn’t my professor black?'"

What the actual fuck.  I mean, you can ask them to do a reverse Michael Jackson, but I wouldn't be surprised if they got offended.  I honestly don't give a crap what race, gender or sexual orientation my professor is, as long as I like their teaching style and they're a good teacher.  I don't understand why people feel the need to bring race into just about everything.  Feeling a need to have a professor of a certain race is really weird, no matter what race that is.

in like 95% of workplaces in America, if your boss finds you sending this image to someone while on the job, you'll be in trouble. I mean, this guy basically just got a slap on the wrist because it's innocuous, but let's be real, no supervisor can actually afford to overlook something like this completely. That's just the way of things.

It was quite obvious that there was no ill intent from Blunt, but who the hell sends internet memes to their supervisor ON THEIR DEPARTMENT PHONE. Isn't it kinda common sense that you communicate with your supervisor like they were a combination of God, your parents, and a world leader you actually respect?.... and not like one of your "internet friends".

Oh wow this is hilarious.

America ruins everything. Always.

I can sympathize with it being an offense (please try to understand that he's on a job plus he's talking to his superior) but I can't understand why it needs to be posted in the mass media. Some people might find it interesting but come on people. He's only one person that did one mistake. No need to put it in the news for everyone to see in expense to the offender.

People nowadays are too desperate for news fodder.

I don't agree with this in the slightest, but he still should have been a little more cautious. I remember one of my past managers talking about how he'd never add any of his co-workers as friends on any kind of social network or forum until they were no long working with each other. And considering all the backlash you can get from posting the wrong thing on the internet, I don't blame him in the slightest. It's much easier to do something stupid on the internet than it is in real life, you're better off keeping both entities of your social life separate.