ACEN: Ryukishi07

Yotek

So I figured I'd make a post here just to give some information on Ryukishi07. He is one of the special guests at ACEN (Anime central) this year. I'm a terrible writer but figured I'd give some information/highlights that I got from one of his panels today. Also, I'm crazy tired so I'll clean it up later. Tomorrow, I'll either update this post or just add a new one about his new game announcement.

So first, some pictures. Please forgive my photography, I don't have very steady hands.

Here is his panel slideshow (yeah.... he only had one slide)

aOt6yyg.jpg

Here are a few pictures of him.

V3h8XgI.jpg

wxp3LxD.jpg

2P8SKul.jpg

uTir43T.jpg

Again, unorganized list of interesting points, will be cleaned up later.

The main discussions of his panel was related around his writing of Higurashi and Umineko.

The writing style that he uses is a bit different than most. Instead of creating outlines and having expectations for his endings, he has a more fluid free writing system. He will often write without having any idea how he is going to end his stories.

One of the biggest influences for writing was his friend BT. He would write out ideas and provide them to him to see how he would respond. His goal was often to create surprise in his staff and readers (As I'm sure any of us are aware of if seeing any of his work).

An interesting story that he told us was that when creating Higurashi, he was actually very influenced by the film "Independence Day". At one point, he was actually trying to find a way to make them fight aliens. (thank god he didn't). Apparently, there is a section where Keiichi and Rika are preparing for a fight, and that was taken from a scene in that movie. (Never seen the movie... I know, I'm horrible). Ever since then, he has a strict rule of not consuming content when writing.

He is a big zombie fan... though not so much Japanese zombies. He likes the way they portray zombies in the West. Also.... He's not apposed to the idea of creating a game where zombies go for girls panties. (Yes, I'd play that too)

With characters, he always has 2 sides to them. The example he used was Rika. She comes of a young, cute, and super sweet. However, when alone, she is actually quite different. He also avoids telling how characters feel. Instead of telling you, he likes to convey their emotions and motives through their words and actions. He feels that by doing so, it builds a better connection as it is your interpretation. It also prevents having a very solid baseline so he can throw you for a loop later.

An interesting question that was asked was about the setting for Higurashi. He got the idea for the setting after reading Seishi Yokomizo's "The Village of Eight Graves". (That was a interesting fun fact).

Now for some Umineko information. (FYI, It's on my to play list, so this is even more of a text dump than anything else).

Umineko was fun for him because of the fact that there was so much feedback after each game he came out with. He actually would go through all the feedback he could to see how people were responding to his game. Umineko actually turned into a game for him as well. As the readers were taken down different paths, he got to enjoy how they responded and created fun for them as well.

One thing I found unique was that he actually changed the 3rd game. Originally, there was a character that was introduced in the 5th game. This was actually intended to be the 3rd but he didn't want to drive everyone into despair.

The last thing I have was a fun "quote" from his panel. Granted, everything he said was through a translator (my Japanese isn't good enough yet) but it stuck out to me. "The sadistic edge of writing is important". I think this can be interpreted in a lot of ways. He really made it apparent that the writing itself is his inspiration. It could be the sadistic part is the feedback from his audience, or even the content of his works. However, I think one thing is for certain. From what I have experienced of his works, they are amazing and I look forward to giving an update on his new game tomorrow.

Hope at least someone found this useful. Please chalk up all errors to my horrible writing, note taking, or poor tolerance for sleep deprivation and alcohol.

EDIT: Part 2 Here- http://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/10153-acen-ryukishi07/#entry282310

Damn, I'm so jealous. Thanks for this. The following are just my ramblings.

The writing style that he uses is a bit different than most. Instead of creating outlines and having expectations for his endings, he has a more fluid free writing system. He will often write without having any idea how he is going to end his stories.

Were his culprits ever brought up? I'd be surprised if they weren't, as they scream, "I'm the culprit!", when you read his works again. Other than that, I guess it works well with the looping style of When They Cry.

One of the biggest influences for writing was his friend BT. He would write out ideas and provide them to him to see how he would respond. His goal was often to create surprise in his staff and readers (As I'm sure any of us are aware of if seeing any of his work).

The style definitely is obvious. Most people criticize Higurashi on its shock value and for it deliberately confusing the reader as much as possible. That's the biggest weakness of When They Cry. BT was his editor, right? I also heard he died. That's quite sad.

With characters, he always has 2 sides to them. The example he used was Rika. She comes of a young, cute, and super sweet. However, when alone, she is actually quite different. He also avoids telling how characters feel. Instead of telling you, he likes to convey their emotions and motives through their words and actions. He feels that by doing so, it builds a better connection as it is your interpretation. It also prevents having a very solid baseline so he can throw you for a loop later.

That's pretty noticeable. And it works well, seeing as it's another thing When They Cry is praised on.

An interesting question that was asked was about the setting for Higurashi. He got the idea for the setting after reading Seishi Yokomizo's "The Village of Eight Graves". 

I haven't read that. I thought it Kusarihime, but I haven't read it either. :P

The last thing I have was a fun "quote" from his panel. Granted, everything he said was through a translator (my Japanese isn't good enough yet) but it stuck out to me. "The sadistic edge of writing is important". I think this can be interpreted in a lot of ways. He really made it apparent that the writing itself is his inspiration. It could be the sadistic part is the feedback from his audience, or even the content of his works.

I'll remember that quote.  :D It's nice to know that he's close with his audience, although I bet a lot of people hate him after Umineko's EP8. I think he needs to distance himself more though.

I didn't have a problem with it, but self-inserts are a bit...

Hope at least someone found this useful.

I definitely did. Thanks. I eagerly await for the update.

He will often write without having any idea how he is going to end his stories.

Yeah, that shows lol :P

One thing I found unique was that he actually changed the 3rd game. Originally, there was a character that was introduced in the 5th game. This was actually intended to be the 3rd but he didn't want to drive everyone into despair.

W-wait, we could have had Erika as early as chapter 3? Dammit Ryukishi, why didn't you go for it!

Otherwise he seems to be easily influenced by fiction he consumes, and he doesn't seem to consume a lot. That's probably why people call him out on writing about the mystery genre but not knowing much about it...

W-wait, we could have had Erika as early as chapter 3? Dammit Ryukishi, why didn't you go for it!

So much for "the sadistic part of writing". On the bright side, she would've been a boy, so we wouldn't get that wonderful dress of hers.

If you ask me, one reason I loved Erika was that she was there when Beato was at her lowest, so if they had to share the spotlight for long I'd gravitate towards Beato more. But they didn't, so she really shined, especially when they clashed.

Part 2:

Here are some pictures from the 2nd panel
VPWaPzv.jpg

o3masMf.jpg

7ZvMWdT.jpg

Here are the videos I took from the panel. First one is about the new game and a new project he will be announcing soon. The other 2 are Q&A that he wasn't able to get from a prior session. 

If you can't handle shaky camera, don't watch. The room was so cold I was actually shivering the whole time.

Not very different at all actually. There are those who write with and outline and those who let the story dictate where it goes, and obviously there are those who land somewhere in the middle of those extremes. Terry Pratchett, for example, would jot down 10,000 words without knowing what the story was even about *shrugs.*

Interesting read though :)

No con would be complete with out an appearance from important VN publishers. Sadly, only Mangagamer showed. Oh well...

Visual Novel USA was there as well. They were waaaaay in the back of the exhibition hall. However, unlike Mangagamer, they were a bit pushy towards their customers and the VN's seemed to be a bit overpriced.