There's a specific type of VN I like playing, I feel like I've gone through most of the translated ones. Help!

Sammeh

Hey there Fuwanovel,

It's been a goddamn while. Been reading all this time, just haven't been posting. Glad to be back :)

Now, to get to the point of this thread, I have a specific genre of VN I like to read, not to say I won't go out of these boundaries and read other stuff, but I like to read this sort of thing.

Rather than give a long paragraph explaining what it is, I'll put bullet points. A couple of these don't have to apply, but the majority should.

•Takes place in school or at least, the protagonists are young.

•Good art style, I can't get through VNs with bad art.

•Happy endings, even if the plot itself is depressing.

•An good or at least an interesting plotline.

•Romance is a must in some fashion

•Slice of life, but also can be action.

•H-scenes would be appreciated.

•English translated.

Now, you may think that's not all that uncommon, but here are the actual VNs pertaining to this style that I have read.

If My Heart Had Wings.

Grisaia no Kajitsu.

G Senjo no Maou.

Fate/Stay Night.

Katawa Shoujo.

Cross Channel.

Ayakashibito.

Steins;gate.

Deardrops.

Kira Kira.

Majikoi.

Comyu.

Have I exhausted all english versions of this? And if I have, what should I go onto?

Thanks so much,

Sam!

Hey there Fuwanovel,

It's been a goddamn while. Been reading all this time, just haven't been posting. Glad to be back :)

Now, to get to the point of this thread, I have a specific genre of VN I like to read, not to say I won't go out of these boundaries and read other stuff, but I like to read this sort of thing.

Rather than give a long paragraph explaining what it is, I'll put bullet points. A couple of these don't have to apply, but the majority should.

•Takes place in school or at least, the protagonists are young.

•Good art style, I can't get through VNs with bad art.

•Happy endings, even if the plot itself is depressing.

•An good or at least an interesting plotline.

•Romance is a must in some fashion

•Slice of life, but also can be action.

•H-scenes would be appreciated.

•English translated.

Now, you may think that's not all that uncommon, but here are the actual VNs pertaining to this style that I have read.

If My Heart Had Wings.

Grisaia no Kajitsu.

G Senjo no Maou.

Fate/Stay Night.

Katawa Shoujo.

Cross Channel.

Ayakashibito.

Steins;gate.

Deardrops.

Kira Kira.

Majikoi.

Comyu.

Have I exhausted all english versions of this? And if I have, what should I go onto?

Thanks so much,

Sam!

Princess Evangile :sachi:

Please tell me you actually intentionally sorted your list by order of title length.

Anyways, your tastes actually encompasses the large majority of VNs made. Maybe there's not quite the same ratio with english-translated ones, because translators have been averse to those kinds of titles until recently. But still, you have not come close to exhausting english language titles like that.

To name a few: The Da Capo series, most Key titles (although the earlier ones may not have art that's up to your standards), ef - a fairy tale of the two, and Hoshizora no Memoria.

There are more, but if I dig much deeper the VNs are going to vary in quality by quite a bit.

...Well. That was simple.

Please tell me you actually intentionally sorted your list by order of title length.

Anyways, your tastes actually encompasses the large majority of VNs made. Maybe there's not quite the same ratio with english-translated ones, because translators have been averse to those kinds of titles until recently. But still, you have not come close to exhausting english language titles like that.

To name a few: The Da Capo series, most Key titles (although the earlier ones may not have art that's up to your standards), ef - a fairy tale of the two, and Hoshizora no Memoria.

There are more, but if I dig much deeper the VNs are going to vary in quality by quite a bit.

Of course  :P

I looked at the Da Capo series and I didn't really like the art, but maybe I was just being harsh. I'll take another look. I've seen a lot of recommendations for Key titles before, never played one, and I think I'd like to give it a shot sometime. Never heard of Ef, but I'll give it a look. And I've seen Hoshizora no Memoria but heard mixed things about it. Is it decent?

That's the issue here. There are actually quite a few with my tastes, but, they're not always good.

You could start off with Little Busters, my favorite Key title. Da Capo 1's art was a bit rough and to be honest so is its writing, DC2 is a large improvement in almost every way, and has decent art in my opinion. DC1 is skippable if you want. Ef is a solid VN that's focused heavily on the romance and had a rather large art budget for its time, there are a crapload of CGs. Hoshizora no Memoria is... decent. It's pretty well liked around here and I probably like it less than most but I still had fun with it during a couple routes.

ef ends... neutrally? It tries not to make it out to be too sad, and to end on an somewhat hopeful note. And that's just one story out of five.

the main story (i think it was even if they were all relevant) it is really sad and the ending was really depressing, she got raped and abused over and over by this guy his "brother" and at the end when she was able to achieve some happiness she dies!! it is depressing as hell even if she turns into an angel.

The others yep they are somewhat happy.

Anything by KEY, if you want good/decent artwork than I recommend Rewrite or Little Busters, there won't be any H-scenes but it contains all of your other points. Clannad is highly recommended despite not having amazing art.

Symphonic Rain, a great VN and a high recommendation for people that like romance. It has slice of life, enjoyable music, maybe not amazing art, but I quite liked it, it doesn't contain H-scenes though there are good ends if I recall correctly.

Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo, good artwork, great story, contains H-scenes, romance and I believe the endings were good. I can't see why you wouldn't enjoy it if you liked most of the VNs you posted.

I've seen a lot of recommendations for Key titles before, never played one, and I think I'd like to give it a shot sometime.

If you want to read a Key title, then I recommend Rewrite: https://vndb.org/v751

Rewrite follows all the mentioned priorities such as:

A Highschool setting, Interesting plotline, good art & visuals, Romance, Slice of Life & Action, etc.

But like most Key titles, Rewrite has no H-Scenes.

But it has a Oppai Route which is a hundred times better than any H-Scene

•Takes place in school or at least, the protagonists are young. (Yep)

Good art style, I can't get through VNs with bad art. (Subjective, so I can't say)

•Happy endings, even if the plot itself is depressing. (VN made me tear from happiness)

•An good or at least an interesting plotline. (Plot meshes up well in the end. Unlike VNs where choosing what to eat changes the whole plot)

•Romance is a must in some fashion (Yep)

•Slice of life, but also can be action. (No action)

H-scenes would be appreciated. (Sorry)

•English translated (Yep)

Symphonic Rain : ) Reasoning in Parentheses.

Wow! Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone.

I would like to clarify while that I would like H-scenes, they are not a deal breaker. Notice that I did put down Steins;Gate on my list of ones that I enjoy that also apply. While I am a bit pervy, I'm not that bad... ">.> <.<"

I'll definitely try Symphonic Rain, Rewrite, Little Busters, Princess Evangile, Sharin no Kuni, and try out all of Decay's suggestions.

It seems that I have not begun to scratch the surface. Awesome. I love that.

Also, Dokken, love Dragon's Crown. Good choice.