Monobeno -Happy End- Translation Project

l0li

I don't care what the Japanese do. In the first place, this isn't an instance of someone misusing Japanese to sound "cool" or whatever, but directly altering already existing Japanese in a way that diminishes the original. If the Japanese want to butcher written works so that they just pass the "readable" level then that's up to them. Saying that something is okay because other people do it is never a good argument.

Just a warning the following link is NSFW, it contains nude lolis:

http://www.lose.jp/wp/imp

Anyway, to reward all those who voted in the 'which character should get the most H-scenes' poll, they have now provided the same image but this time with all the girls nude. They have also created their second poll (though they may want you to write in Japanese for this one) asking for one costume you think would suit each girl. Also they posted the first poll results.

124 took the top, of course, everyone loves those frilly outfits I guess. The two girls with huge breasts got a polite 'get the hell out of our loli game' and took the last two slots. I dunno why 130 did so bad but she managed to come in after even 114 who was all the way down in 5th. I guess a lot of folks decided that 114, while adorable, wasn't really someone they would want to have sex with (though apparently they'd rather her than the actual adult-looking ladies).

Judging from the results, I'm guessing if there are three main characters for the new game they will be 124, 143 and 158, or 'loli tween and teen'.

For laughs, please come up with interesting costumes to recommend for the girls. I doubt our voices will be heard over the hordes of Japanese guys who will be spamming 'MAID MAID MAID MAID MAID MAID SCHOOL SWIMSUIT MAID MAID CAT' but it never hurts to ask.

Edit: Sorry if this seems like a tangent or people don't know what I'm talking about. This is a continuation of earlier in the thread when Lose put up a poll about characters for their new project. I don't think it warrants it's own thread, so I'm just sticking it in this Lose-related project. Hope you don't mind.

Edit2: I told them I wanted to see 124 in a Santa suit.

Anyway, to reward all those who voted in the 'which character should get the most H-scenes' poll, they have now provided the same image but this time with all the girls nude. They have also created their second poll (though they may want you to write in Japanese for this one) asking for one costume you think would suit each girl. Also they posted the first poll results.

124 took the top, of course, everyone loves those frilly outfits I guess. The two girls with huge breasts got a polite 'get the hell out of our loli game' and took the last two slots. I dunno why 130 did so bad but she managed to come in after even 114 who was all the way down in 5th. I guess a lot of folks decided that 114, while adorable, wasn't really someone they would want to have sex with (though apparently they'd rather her than the actual adult-looking ladies).

Judging from the results, I'm guessing if there are three main characters for the new game they will be 124, 143 and 158, or 'loli tween and teen'.

For laughs, please come up with interesting costumes to recommend for the girls. I doubt our voices will be heard over the hordes of Japanese guys who will be spamming 'MAID MAID MAID MAID MAID MAID SCHOOL SWIMSUIT MAID MAID CAT' but it never hurts to ask.

Edit: Sorry if this seems like a tangent or people don't know what I'm talking about. This is a continuation of earlier in the thread when Lose put up a poll about characters for their new project. I don't think it warrants it's own thread, so I'm just sticking it in this Lose-related project. Hope you don't mind.

Needs more cat. Also I think Santa suit would be really nice on her... dat gap moe.

Well I wish the translating team good luck and please find a good TLC .  

Listen to the criticism and ignore the naysayers. 

I like furry hentai and everything, but, wtf...

Like I said it would just be for giggles. No single vote is going to outweigh the massive amount of Japanese guys who will be voting for stuff like 'maid' 'naked apron' 'school swimsuit' and all the usual suspects.

Despite the mountains upon mountains of lolis, this isn't really a game I actually care much about. As such, I'm not gonna stop you guys from potentially creating a translation worse than Moenovel (at this point, it's definitely not an impossibility).

As some of you may know, I'm not one to sugarcoat my words but I'll try my hardest not to sound like a dick: this game is kind of hard to mess up, so after reading the points both sides have brought up, here are my two cents.

Let's get real - misplaced 'support' isn't going to make the translator better. The only logical way the translator is going to improve is by actually studying, instead of spending his time making misTLs he thinks is right. And no, hiring a TL checker is just as inefficient when you could be hiring a translator who is actually competent at the language. It's fairly easy to tell when someone is ready to start a game translation, and it's clear that this person isn't. That is a fact. A game like this should definitely not take 5 years to translate (that's less than 30 lines a day). It makes me cringe thinking that someone is planning to waste five years of their life enforcing wrong translations into his mind - again, counterproductive - when they could be actually getting better at the language.

But wait, astro! Translating is practice too!

True to an extent. This only works if your level of Japanese is already at a certain level. If your proficiency is below that threshold, you may as well be inventing your own dialect of Japanese under the pretense of 'studying the language'. Imo, if you're doing something for practice, you should not publicly release it in the first place. I've translated a few visual novels as practice on my own, but I've only showed the TLs to one or two people (who I know are good at Japanese) for feedback.

With all that said, it is ultimately up to the translator if he wants to go on with this or not. I'm writing this because it's only fair for the person in question to know what he's signing up for, and that there are better alternatives if he wants to get better at the language. All I can see is a bunch of people urging him off a cliff, and mislabeling that as kindness and compassion.

・ As a side note, for those of you who suggest that "readable" is a passing grade when it comes it quality standards, then I present to you an example that may change your mind:

A prime example of bad translations that dramatically skew the experience for the viewers. Most notably at 15:40 - the subs make the short-haired girl look like the bad guy, when she was actually helping them. lol

A prime example of bad translations that dramatically skew the experience for the viewers. Most notably at 15:40 - the subs make the short-haired girl look like the bad guy, when she was actually helping them. lol

If you apply the standards of official German dubs, that sub is actually 10/10 quality lol. I mean seeing "moe" translated as "creamy" is sort of disturbing or is it just me...?

Anyways, the language used in this game is actually on the simple side. With the translator(s) already stumbling over unsophisticated lines as demonstrated in this thread, that's really not the best sign. That's just plain reality and there is no denying it. However, I don't dare to presume to discount serious effort of people. Effort in itself is inherently, while it can arguably be misplaced, never pointless - it's just a matter of perspective. What I'm trying to say is, if the people involved in this project see value in going through with this project and believe they can achieve a result that is conform to their perceptions of what they want to achieve, it is straight out presumptuous to knock them of their feet from the very outset. In addition to that, even if the end result is insufficient from other perspectives, there are still going to be numerous people who will gladly read it and have their fun with it. As such, I don't believe it's warranted to declare that it's "worthless".

Good luck with the project.

I have been waiting for this game to get translated (and I know, MG and even JAST USA will not put their hands on this game). And this has been answered.

Might as well cast my opinion...

All fan translations should be treated as being of suspect quality until proven otherwise.

So before you complain, remember that no one deserves a quality product for free, and that fan translators have just as much of a right to benefit from a project as their audience.

This.

I couldn't care less about a low quality translations due to the fact that we aren't even paying them for this. I would rather complain if you spent several bucks for an "official" translation that turns out as actual machine translation.

Anyway, I wish I could help, but I don't have any kind of skills to help with these VN projects. All I can do is pray for this project's success.

I promised a certain Chrono-y someone that I would stay out of these sorts of debates in the future, but I still think this whole problem of TL quality and preference would disappear with multiple translations.

Let's get one thing straight though. The idea that Fuwa disallows anything other than 'unconditional support and cheering' for bad translations is a strawman, it's thrown out by people (usually from the translation community) who feel the need to not only criticise, but to abuse and bully 'bad translators' out of participating in translation projects. They feel the need to do this because generally only 1 translation per project is made, and if a sub-standard translation is produced then people will be stuck with it. They'll then throw out words like "respect" and "advice."

really couldn't give a toss. We all like our visual novels, but Fuwanovel will not let people behave like arseholes because they feel entitled to perfect fan-translated stories. Criticism is allowed (I dish out a ton of it,) abuse is not. Nor is bullying behaviour. I trust Nosebleed's statement when he said a certain person crossed the line and I think he did the right thing to pull it up before things got out of hand (which has happened before.) He's a pretty savvy guy. 

That being said, I'll probably have to pass on this. I'm very sensitive to english prose and this project doesn't match my standards. The thing is I'm not going to try and demand the translators abandon their project, even if this was a game I was eagerly awaiting a translation for. People are free to follow their own path, people should be free to make their own mistakes (if it is one) and shouldn't be afraid to make mistakes, and there will be an audience for this who doesn't really care for 100% accuracy or fluency. 

@Nosebleed

Are you sure you are reprimanding the right guy? Candycorm posted a perfect example of constructive criticism (#70). Then, the project coordinator completely disregarded it, and posted some utterly ridiculous stuff instead of addressing any of the mentioned issues. Is it okay to demand respect only from one side of the discussion?

Yeah, Nosebleed reprimanded the right guy. This may come as a shock to people but a person doesn't have to accept criticism, advice, or lectures if they don't wish. It's their life to lead. It's not about disrespect, it's about point of view, and saying it's disrespectful that somebody won't allow you to force your opinion on them is pretty silly.

LOL. This poll, I just stuff everyone with gothic lolita dress.

I would like to wish you the best of luck on this project. Wether the translations turn out to be good or bad I will read it. They are pretty much gauranteed to be better than a machine translation and I was already planning on reading this novel in VNR. But it looks like I best be patient and wait and hope for the completion of this fan translation.

• 2 weeks later...

The next chapter has begun in the continuing saga of Lose trying to crowdsource ideas for their next VN.

So this time the reward image was all the girls in their underwear. And Lose basically said 'Wow you guys gave us way too freaking many costume ideas, please pick from this gigantic list for each girl which one you'd like to see especially'. Which seems kind of bizarre since why wouldn't everyone just re-pick what they picked last time? Also they made the list for each girl the same. Also they said some people asked for 'forbidden' costumes, which if I remember Japanese law correctly means they wanted some of the younger girls to have H-scenes while wearing grade school backpacks.

The number and diversity of school swimsuits asked for boggles my mind. I guess I was naive to think 'school swimsuit' in and of itself was a costume, but no Japanese erofans are connoisseurs apparently and are very specific about exactly what kind of school swimsuit they want.