Has your enjoyment from gaming remained the same throughout the years?

Nayleen

Yes, because I've always stuck with classic video games.  Because of anime and because of emulation.

My gaming days started with the NES and Super Mario Bros.

But I was also aware of the popular computer games and arcade games of the 80's, even the pre-NES ones because were still around--people hadn't started throwing them out yet.

Then, you know what was happening with video games of the 90's, everyone was thinking 3D is state of the art, let's go 3D, and 3D hardware acceleration was also taking off.  But I had already discovered anime at that point, was already playing games with anime characters--and most of them were 2D.  Occasionally someone would do an anime style game in 3D, but because 3D at the time was an ugly cardboard-cut-out-looking polygonal mess, they never really looked right.  So I ended up on the other side of the 2D/3D divide for a long time (probably until Idolmaster for 360 came out--I looked at the performances on youtube and said to myself, This, this is the proper use of 3D).

Meanwhile I really was impressed with the prospect of real-time software emulation.  I was one of the early adopters, buying the Williams Arcade Classics for PC, and locating Dave Spicer's arcade emulator.  I was particularly impressed with MAME, because of the relative ease at which they seemed to be adding games--much faster than I expected once it got rolling.  I wanted to find out how the emulation really worked, so I joined the MAME project for a couple of years, working on sound drivers for some of the 80's games.

Anyway, before I knew it I was caught up in the emulation stuff.  Through emulation I got:

-a chance to thoroughly play the arcade games I could never really afford to as a kid

-games for systems I never had the chance to buy before they went out of production

-most importantly for me, access to Japanese games that never made it to the U.S. at all.

Also, there's one important thing about classic video game designs:  they need minutes to play, not hours.  You can spend hours playing them on days when you have the time, but you don't have to spend hours just to feel like you're getting into it.

I shudder every time someone mentions a game where they do "grinding."

Finally, I have managed to almost completely avoid the mobile gaming market.  I just can't understand "gaming writ small"...

I've started gaming in the '80s and... I still love games to this day. Indie games, AAA games, western games, Japanese games, I still really enjoy gaming. I started playing a lot of the NES classics like mario, zelda, mega man, etc, and moved on primarily to PC gaming in the mid '00s once I could build my own decent PCs. I still enjoy many different genres, though. Just this year I've had a lot of fun with GTAV PC, Environmental Station Alpha, Invisible Inc, Sunless Sea, Cities Skylines, Dirt: Rally, Kerbal Space Program 1.0, and Besiege to name several off the top of my head. And I could not possibly be looking forward to The Witcher 3 any more than I currently am. I dunno, after gaming for 25 years, getting started as just a small tyke, I still really enjoy it. And I will very heavily disagree with anyone who says that games are worse in general these days than they used to be. Some of the greatest games of all time have been released in just the last several years.

Oh, and I also play lots and lots of Hearthstone.  :amane:

Never having owned a Nintendo console or played a Nintendo game master race :makina:

You're not missing much these days

The last worthwhile console from Nintendo was the SNES

(unless you count mobile gaming, which I don't)

For all the people saying they can't feel the same magic as when they were kids, just pick up Kirby game.  It will be back in no time. 

I tried exactly that maybe a year or two ago, and Kirby Mass Attack was just... not very fun. Fortunately, I still get the magic every now and then from a particularly good game. The most recent one that pops to mind for nostalgia + novelty magic was Link Between Worlds.

You're not missing much these days

The last worthwhile console from Nintendo was the SNES

(unless you count mobile gaming, which I don't)

Personally, I consider Gamecube to be the Nintendo Golden Era. 

I tried exactly that maybe a year or two ago, and Kirby Mass Attack was just... not very fun. Fortunately, I still get the magic every now and then from a particularly good game. The most recent one that pops to mind for nostalgia + novelty magic was Link Between Worlds.

Dude, Mass Attack is the Black Sheep of Kirby.  I'm a hardcore Kirby fan and even I didn't like it. 

Dude, Mass Attack is the Black Sheep of Kirby.  I'm a hardcore Kirby fan and even I didn't like it. 

Good to know. I was wanting to give that yarn one a try, but the Wii was so underused I almost never even had it hooked up to the tv, and laziness always won out.

Personally, I consider Gamecube to be the Nintendo Golden Era. 

I'm going to do my best to not judge you. SNES all the way.

You're a very black and white kind of guy ey. Neptunia games are all identical aside from the spin offs.

Japan is even worse than the West. But I guess you haven't played any HD:N's. I'd recommend either

waiting for Re;Birth 3 or getting Re;Birth 2 they are pretty fun.

do you not see the irony in remarking that western games are bleak because they are all sequels then hype up a sequel at the end, though im not up on neptunia so maybe that was a joke that went over my head and its not the actual next sequel in line.  

bold,color and font increase for emphasis.

Good to know. I was wanting to give that yarn one a try, but the Wii was so underused I almost never even had it hooked up to the tv, and laziness always won out.

I'm going to do my best to not judge you. SNES all the way.

Epic yarn is fun but not particularly challenging.  Super Star Ultra is probably one of the best.

Nope.  Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Air Ride, Pokemon Colosseum.  Definitely the pinnacle. 

Fuck video games. 

Fuck indie video games.

Fuck AAA studios

All bow and worship cinematic experiences in 30fps of enjoy talking to try hard pc fags who brag about their 1444p monitors and super maxed out gfx cards while they play shitty games like Skyrim where you do the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again and then enjoy hearing, "Graphics arent everything" while they play games where graphics are the only thing and brag about how great it is.

I hate gaming now. I hater gamers now. So yes, my enjoyment is way below what it used to be. If I am not enjoying a game, I quit. Even if its in the first 10 minutes. Its automatically a bad game. 

Nowadays I rarely get as exited about games as did when I was smaller but  the rare times I get exited about games now, I get even more exited than used to. It was more like when I was smaller everything felt amazing, but nothing felt super amazing.

Newer Games like Witcher, Persona and Dark Souls have been such unforgettable experiences. I literally locked up in my room to play them and could hardly do anything else because I was so immersed in them and experienced excitement that topped my childhood experiences.

So in a way my passion has become more unstable. It's harder to get even interested in most of the games, I gave up on AAA titles years. I'm playing less and I'm buying less games, because I can't find games that I want to play. I mostly play JRPGs now, those games haven't lost their charm yet. I like that style of game play and story telling so I can play those even when I'm not feeling super exited. 

bold,color and font increase for emphasis.

I know what you said. It could be intepretated multiple ways, new to the Re;Birth series but did play the originals, or played one of the spin-offs but not the originals.

Fuck video games. 

Fuck indie video games.

Fuck AAA studios

All bow and worship cinematic experiences in 30fps of enjoy talking to try hard pc fags who brag about their 1444p monitors and super maxed out gfx cards while they play shitty games like Skyrim where you do the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again and then enjoy hearing, "Graphics arent everything" while they play games where graphics are the only thing and brag about how great it is.

I hate gaming now. I hater gamers now. So yes, my enjoyment is way below what it used to be. If I am not enjoying a game, I quit. Even if its in the first 10 minutes. Its automatically a bad game.

People where boasting about best systems since the NES days in fact it was worse then since it was in adverisements.

1444p resolution thats 4 more pixels than my 2560 x1440p monitor, but then again it's not a 12K triple 4K screen setup running quad gtx 970 sli's so it must be for scrubs, I bet you can't even get over 100 frames per second in crysis 3 with SSAO on 32x. TopKek m8.

Gamers have been dousche nozzels forever nothing new about it.

I actually love those guys. They represent what I still like about gamers. Thoughtful, friendly, and helpful people willing to spend time with newbies and help them learn the game.

This is rare. Most gaming forums devolve into complete and utter fanboy butthurt raging with elitism and insults.

Nowadays I rarely get as exited about games as did when I was smaller but  the rare times I get exited about games now, I get even more exited than used to. It was more like when I was smaller everything felt amazing, but nothing felt super amazing.

Newer Games like Witcher, Persona and Dark Souls have been such unforgettable experiences. I literally locked up in my room to play them and could hardly do anything else because I was so immersed in them and experienced excitement that topped my childhood experiences.

So in a way my passion has become more unstable. It's harder to get even interested in most of the games, I gave up on AAA titles years. I'm playing less and I'm buying less games, because I can't find games that I want to play. I mostly play JRPGs now, those games haven't lost their charm yet. I like that style of game play and story telling so I can play those even when I'm not feeling super exited.

I too have gone almost full weeb when it comes to gaming I have 5 games to play all Japanese 4 of the JRPG's. Persona 4: Golden is pretty cool I'm just not usually in the mood to dedicate time to it, Hyperdimension Re;Birth 2 is pretty fun but super-repetitive good for gaming for like an hour or two in the evenings. My main game right now is Atelier Shallie. Green Shallie is best girl. What JRPG's are you/will you be playing this year.

I too have gone almost full weeb when it comes to gaming I have 5 games to play all Japanese 4 of the JRPG's. Persona 4: Golden is pretty cool I'm just not usually in the mood to dedicate time to it, Hyperdimension Re;Birth 2 is pretty fun but super-repetitive good for gaming for like an hour or two in the evenings. My main game right now is Atelier Shallie. Green Shallie is best girl. What JRPG's are you/will you be playing this year.

Right now I'm only playing Tales of Hearts, I have completed most of the interesting games that came out this spring. I'm really looking forward to summer and early autumn though, tons of really interesting games are coming out. Mainly Operation Abyss, Dungeon Travelers 2, Lost Dimension and Ar nosurge Plus. JRPGs are pretty much the only games I can get hyped about anymore. 

Also now that the Witcher 3 is coming out, I'm really hoping that it can make me as exited as the previous ones. I'm hearing good stuff about it but the recent incidents in gaming industry have made me super cynical about everything. It can't look at positive reviews anymore and believe that game is actually good. I'm pretty sure that Witcher 3 is going to be good, but distrust all around makes it really hard to get hyped. The overall rotten and dishonest atmosphere in the general gaming community just kills all excitement about everything.

It was nice to be young and innocent and believe that the game you bought was the best thing ever and not care what others thought.

Seeing comments of cynicism and distrust about gaming here makes me really angry (frustrated might be a bit better). Nevertheless, I don't want to start a flame war and to each one his own.

As for myself, I have never stopped gaming ever since I was 3 (currently 19) and my love for gaming has never faltered, nor have I gotten nostalgic. Allow me to elaborate: 

There are always good games out there, wherever they may be. You just have to find them. I think that nowadays it's just easier to identify the bad apples and they are everywhere, in all mediums. People complain about directors such as Michael Bay and Co. , singers like Nicky Minaj and Meghan Trainor or Lil' Wayne and Miley Cyrus, modern art that isn't as beautiful as the classics of yore. Is that all there is? No.

Gaming has grown. More players are involved now than when there only big players such as Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, etc... Sure, there are easy formats that have become comodities and bland standards, although that does not mean that great things don't appear anymore. Game companies are geting greedier and caring less about the consumer and just producing cash grab sequels, of course, but we still have great creators and designers going around. Gaming isn't completely worse, you just have to separate the wheat from the chaff, moreso nowadays than ever.

Tired of the modern military shooter? Wolfenstein: The New Order would like to speak to you.

Want a deep, captivating RPG? Pillars of Eternity awaits you.

There are many other examples and I won't go around naming things in which I am not proficient in, since RPGs and FPS are what I play now, mostly.

As for my tastes, I don't think I ever stopped enjoying any types of games, I just began enjoying more genres. I still love Devil May Cry as much as when I was 12, Doom and Serious Sam as much as when I was 10, military shooters as much as when I was 14-15 and MMOs as much as when I was 16-17  (don't play anymore due to lack of friends). There are still many things to be played out there... you just have to find them :)

Sorry for the wall of text and keep enjoying games, in whatever way you prefer!

Right now I'm only playing Tales of Hearts, I have completed most of the interesting games that came out this spring. I'm really looking forward to summer and early autumn though, tons of really interesting games are coming out. Mainly Operation Abyss, Dungeon Travelers 2, Lost Dimension and Ar nosurge Plus. JRPGs are pretty much the only games I can get hyped about anymore. 

Also now that the Witcher 3 is coming out, I'm really hoping that it can make me as exited as the previous ones. I'm hearing good stuff about it but the recent incidents in gaming industry have made me super cynical about everything. It can't look at positive reviews anymore and believe that game is actually good. I'm pretty sure that Witcher 3 is going to be good, but distrust all around makes it really hard to get hyped. The overall rotten and dishonest atmosphere in the general gaming community just kills all excitement about everything.

It was nice to be young and innocent and believe that the game you bought was the best thing ever and not care what others thought.

doesn't help when you have the new witcher shown on conan claiming its 1080p when its not. Microsoft, gotta love all that false advertising.

Seeing comments of cynicism and distrust about gaming here makes me really angry (frustrated might be a bit better). Nevertheless, I don't want to start a flame war and to each one his own.

As for myself, I have never stopped gaming ever since I was 3 (currently 19) and my love for gaming has never faltered, nor have I gotten nostalgic. Allow me to elaborate: 

There are always good games out there, wherever they may be. You just have to find them. I think that nowadays it's just easier to identify the bad apples and they are everywhere, in all mediums. People complain about directors such as Michael Bay and Co. , singers like Nicky Minaj and Meghan Trainor or Lil' Wayne and Miley Cyrus, modern art that isn't as beautiful as the classics of yore. Is that all there is? No.

Gaming has grown. More players are involved now than when there only big players such as Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, etc... Sure, there are easy formats that have become comodities and bland standards, although that does not mean that great things don't appear anymore. Game companies are geting greedier and caring less about the consumer and just producing cash grab sequels, of course, but we still have great creators and designers going around. Gaming isn't completely worse, you just have to separate the wheat from the chaff, moreso nowadays than ever.

Tired of the modern military shooter? Wolfenstein: The New Order would like to speak to you.

Want a deep, captivating RPG? Pillars of Eternity awaits you.

There are many other examples and I won't go around naming things in which I am not proficient in, since RPGs and FPS are what I play now, mostly.

As for my tastes, I don't think I ever stopped enjoying any types of games, I just began enjoying more genres. I still love Devil May Cry as much as when I was 12, Doom and Serious Sam as much as when I was 10, military shooters as much as when I was 14-15 and MMOs as much as when I was 16-17  (don't play anymore due to lack of friends). There are still many things to be played out there... you just have to find them :)

Sorry for the wall of text and keep enjoying games, in whatever way you prefer!

great attitude to have really, sadly some of us don't have the luxury of looking at that clouds silver lining were to busy trying to bail the water out the boat.

Epic yarn is fun but not particularly challenging.  Super Star Ultra is probably one of the best.

Nope.  Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Air Ride, Pokemon Colosseum.  Definitely the pinnacle. 

Oh, sure, I definitely played the shit out of Super Star Ultra way back when it came out. Of course it's great, though.

It's a SNES game.

Oh, sure, I definitely played the shit out of Super Star Ultra way back when it came out. Of course it's great, though.

It's a SNES game.

I've played the original and while good it doesn't compare and have any of the extra content that makes SSU great.   Dream Land 3 was also amazing. 

Return to Dream Land, 3D, Amazing Mirror, and Canvas Curse are all great non-SNES games and are just as good as SSU. 

I still hold that Kirby 64 is the best though.  Nothing can beat how much fun it is to mix copy abilities like that. 

I've played the original and while good it doesn't compare and have any of the extra content that makes SSU great.   Dream Land 3 was also amazing.

The best part for me, in both the original and the re-release, was The Great Cave Offensive. That part of the game is freaking gold. I think when I played Super Star Ultra I got rather annoyed by some part of Meta Knight's Revenge levels and eventually just moved on to something else, so I didn't get to play a lot of the new content.

Return to Dream Land, 3D, Amazing Mirror, and Canvas Curse are all great non-SNES games and are just as good as SSU. 

I still hold that Kirby 64 is the best though.  Nothing can beat how much fun it is to mix copy abilities like that. 

Not sure if I ever played any of those, but I definitely never played Kirby 64, somehow. I think the series had too many bad moments (in particular, I remember renting Kirby's Dream Course from Blockbuster and disliking it quite a bit) so I missed out on a bunch of its high points. Pretty disappointing. In hindsight, I realize Kirby's Dream Course is a totally different thing, but I guess when I was a kid, I just saw Kirby on the shelves and wanted to play it, and then I started ignoring anything with Kirby on it because the last game I'd played tagged that way kind of sucked.

I'll try to pick up one of those you recommend and give it a whirl.