Least liked protagonist?

Rabbit

Sigh.

No, you're right. Yuuji is cool. Yuuji is snarky, sarcastic, lucid. Suspisciously, unbelievably so. He's so smart and capable, yet everyone around him is so dumb. What a stud, waking up every single day at 4:45AM and running 16km before school even starts. How can anyone resist Yuuji? He's so perfect, in that imperfect way modern society loves. Strong, composed, always knows the answer. He's there to show the others how stupid they can be or that they are not strong, both physically and mentally, as they think. He's so great - It's almost the role of everyone else in the story is to make him look better.

So what I'm getting is that he's bad because he wakes up early? I really don't see the relevance to that statement at all. It's like calling Shirou bad because he has red hair, or Kenichi because he carries a case around. It's just a thing they happen to have/do and I am unsure as to why that was even mentioned. 

Makoto is the epithome of an awful protagonist. I'm still wondering whether he was made like that on purpose, but it's really, really difficult to feel sympathetic for him. I'd say that everything evil that happens within the story is only his own goddamn fault. I also agree with hetare protagonists and this preety much sums everything up.

Makoto was designed to be a terrible protagonist from the start, no doubt. You're not supposed to feel empathy towards Makoto, you're supposed to feel empathy towards the people that get dragged into his mess. This is where the VN fails to deliver, though. The side characters are so mind numbingly stupid it can be considered a miracle they haven't forgotten how to breathe by the end of the story. The whole ordeal is built up to reward you for making bad decisions and purposely get one of the many 'bad ends'. If he wasn't, the bad endings would feel really out of place and the VN wouldn't have reached its cult status. This is also why the good endings are so boring and unrewarding.

But yeah, fuck that asshole.

No. That's not the point.

I'm just screwing with you. C: 

But despite what has been said I still can't imagine why people would have him as 'least liked protagonist' unless you have a generally small pool of VNs played. I can agree he's an ass and a bit of a gary stue, but his character is still too entertaining for me.

Huh, first time I ever hear about this- not like I talked too much about Hanachirasu, though.

I absolutely loved Akane and was rooting for him all along, but what I'm surprised about is that it wasn't an enjoyable read. I rated it an 8 to stay more or less consistent to my standards, but on the enjoyment scale, Hanachirasu was an incredibly nice read that I'd suggest to most people. Have replayed the last scene several times, even with the suspense lost. 

I assumed he was universally hated.

Can't really see how anyone could like him. The rape, murder, general douchebaggery, and the fact that he let Igarasu kill Chou (or whatever her actual name was; been a while) just so that they both had done so for the sake of being entirely even — all irredeemable strikes against him.

Hanachirasu repeated itself far too much. The info dumping was too excessive; generally feeding you the same information over and over again. I found the writing fairly uninteresting and predictable. Saw the plot twist coming when Akane started talking about how he had found

a new sister however many years prior to the events at the dojo occurred. The visor and short hair couldn't fool anyone.

Great art and music like with any Nitro+ title, but I wouldn't otherwise recommend it to anyone when you have superior revenge VNs out there.

Necroposting with a slightly off-topic post, but I haven't had a chance to post in a while.

I guess I'm the only one that thinks yuuji is somewhat tolerable, he is not a bad person, maybe his methods are a bit unrealistic

(come on it's a vn where one of the heroines has 2 "minds" or persons in her body, don't

expect realism)

but he does care for the ones around him and he is like that because well plot stuff :P but why nobody hates Ryou from eden* then?He behaves pretty much the same way and all the girls around him are in love with him too with no rhyme or reason, again the "instant fall in love" things is a common trope used in vns :shrug:

I assumed he was universally hated.

Can't really see how anyone could like him. The rape, murder, general douchebaggery, and the fact that he let Igarasu kill Chou (or whatever her actual name was; been a while) just so that they both had done so for the sake of being entirely even — all irredeemable strikes against him.

Hanachirasu repeated itself far too much. The info dumping was too excessive; generally feeding you the same information over and over again. I found the writing fairly uninteresting and predictable. Saw the plot twist coming when Akane started talking about how he had found

a new sister however many years prior to the events at the dojo occurred. The visor and short hair couldn't fool anyone.

Great art and music like with any Nitro+ title, but I wouldn't otherwise recommend it to anyone when you have superior revenge VNs out there.

Necroposting with a slightly off-topic post, but I haven't had a chance to post in a while.

Hm...I had my fun with all the swordsmanship infodumping- at the time I didn't find it excessive, though I'll have to re-check it now to see whether or not that's true. I found Akane loveable for the very reasons you see as irredeemable strikes against him.

The plot twist was in fact pretty easy to see, though.

You do have several superior revenge VNs out there, but this one is still good imo. Would still suggest it to most people, though it's no kamige. 

So here's one that no one has mentioned so far. Although, I guess it's not that surprising as it seems not many people here read BL games.

Tomoaki from Hadaka Shitsuji is an irredeemable piece of trash. I read through one route of that VN and no protagonist has ever pissed me off so much. I downloaded that terrible game when I just started playing visual novels and it almost made me stop reading them because it was so terrible. I can never unsee some of the things he did to the butlers. 

I would say Takumi from Chaos Head, but the thing is, a character is great character if it intended to makes you hate it, so I didnt dislike the guy though I hate him, and I didnt dislike the fact that I hate him. Hmm, confusnig.

You hate him because he's a realistic depiction of a 16 y/o japanese hikikomori, and you like him because he's a well executed depiction of a 16y/o japanese hikikomori. 

From all the VN's I played so far, I'll have to go with Tomoya from Clannad.

Tomoya acts like a jerk

in after story with ushio not in the real ending, but it's not all black and white he kinda have his reason to act that why, I'm not saying it was ok but i understand him,

other than that he is a pretty cool character imo.

Suffer with me~  :makina:

Why would you do that to yourself? I'm laughing.

because reverse psychology, the red big button! (and I'm an idiot :P )

You don't like him? I'm surprised. Why not? I thought he was pretty funny.

It's not that I don't like him, he's quite a good protagonist and he can be rational at times (but that does depend on the player's decision) except I just happened to enjoy Takuya's perviness (YU-NO), Phoenix Wright's Wit, Rintarou's alter ego (Steins;Gate) and Junpei's post traumatic stress disorder moments (999) more entertaining to watch in the long-run.

Take note that I still haven't finished Clannad (I just finished one ending so far and I think it was the one with the girl giving out wooden sculptures). There is a chance that he might grow on me more once I resume the game.  :P I kind of lost interest in it for now but I hear that Fuko's ending is nothing compared to the rest so I might continue it soon, and it can maybe also be the translation/version I ended up playing (2004). 

I got Swan Song and Clannad to finish and I'm not planning on playing more than two visual novels at once, so we'll see~

It's not that I don't like him, he's quite a good protagonist and he can be rational at times (but that does depend on the player's decision) except I just happened to enjoy Takuya's perviness (YU-NO), Phoenix Wright's Wit, Rintarou's alter ego (Steins;Gate) and Junpei's post traumatic stress disorder moments (999) more entertaining to watch.

Take note that I still haven't finished Clannad (I just finished one ending so far and I think it was the one with the girl giving out wooden sculptures). There is a chance that he might grow on me more once I resume the game.  :P I kind of lost interest in it for now but I hear that Fuko's ending is nothing compared to the rest so I might continue it soon, and it can maybe also be the translation/version I ended up playing. 

I got Swan Song and Clannad to finish and I'm not planning on playing more than two visual novels at once, so we'll see~

fuko's route is one of the best imo really interesting but the true route is the nagisa's one, to be honest all of the routes are really good so you are missing  alot and the translation is not that bad.

Swan song vs clannad oh boy they are night and day, swan song will leave you more depressed and hopeless than any other vn

fuko's route is one of the best imo really interesting but the true route is the nagisa's one, to be honest all of the routes are really good so you are missing  alot and the translation is not that bad.

Swan song vs clannad oh boy they are night and day, swan song will leave you more depressed and hopeless than any other vn

To be honest, the first few hours of Clannad was very hard for me to get into since it kind of seemed like a generic teen drama where nothing much happened (boy meets girl, and they simply do what people would normally do in a normal plain life). I started to think that pure romance wasn't my thing. It did take a little while for me to adapt. However, at some point regarding the route I was on, I ended up enjoying it more when 

I realized that supernatural aspects started to come into play; how people started to forget a girl they randomly met and I was a bit confused at first to realize that she was there in front of the protagonists and in the hospital at the same time. That intrigued me to the point where I had to know what exactly was going on and it pushed me to play until her end.

To be honest, the first few hours of Clannad was very hard for me to get into since it kind of seemed like a generic teen drama where nothing much happened (boy meets girl, and they simply do what people would normally do in a normal plain life). I started to think that pure romance wasn't my thing. However, it did take a little while for me to adapt but regarding that ending I ended up getting, I ended up enjoying it more when 

I realized that supernatural aspects started to come into play; how people started to forget a girl they randomly met and I was a bit confused at first to realize that she was there in front of them but in the hospital at the same time. That intrigued me to the point where I had to know what exactly was going on and it pushed me to play until her end.

yeah that's why I think it was one of the best routes and fuko its just amazing :P sadly it's the only route that has

supernatural things

the other ones are regular drama but they are well written and they got some very good plot twist so it's really fun to read.

there are other supernatural stuff in the novel  (once you beat a route you get those white orbs) but it's hard to explain without ruining you the whole plot.

It's not that I don't like him, he's quite a good protagonist and he can be rational at times (but that does depend on the player's decision) except I just happened to enjoy Takuya's perviness (YU-NO), Phoenix Wright's Wit, Rintarou's alter ego (Steins;Gate) and Junpei's post traumatic stress disorder moments (999) more entertaining to watch in the long-run.

Take note that I still haven't finished Clannad (I just finished one ending so far and I think it was the one with the girl giving out wooden sculptures). There is a chance that he might grow on me more once I resume the game.  :P I kind of lost interest in it for now but I hear that Fuko's ending is nothing compared to the rest so I might continue it soon, and it can maybe also be the translation/version I ended up playing (2004). 

Oh, I see. That makes sense. He is not exactly the most interesting protagonist that I can think of. I just didn't think he was that bad either.

I actually didn't finish Clannad. I watched the anime (a few times) and because of that, reading the visual novel was kind of boring. Clannad is actually one of the only anime based off of a visual novel that I like prefer.

So here's one that no one has mentioned so far. Although, I guess it's not that surprising as it seems not many people here read BL games.

Tomoaki from Hadaka Shitsuji is an irredeemable piece of trash. I read through one route of that VN and no protagonist has ever pissed me off so much. I downloaded that terrible game when I just started playing visual novels and it almost made me stop reading them because it was so terrible. I can never unsee some of the things he did to the butlers. 

I was actually kidding when I first recommended that game to you. I did not know anyone would plunge into that game willingly (as a beginner visual novel, nonetheless)...

I was actually kidding when I first recommended that game to you. I did not know anyone would plunge into that game willingly (as a beginner visual novel, nonetheless)...

Haha, I figured that. Sadly, I had already read the terrible thing before you recommended it to me and as like my second visual novel. I was kind of tricked into it by my jerk of an online friend lol~