college in japan any tips?

jibzoiderz

Yo guys im turning 4th year in philippines (last year of highschool) and I plan on studying in japan and get a scholarship. Any tips on starting college life in japan cause i heard japanese are racist to fellow asians and stuff like that :unsure: :unsure:

I would love to hear some words from originalren on this matter since he is living there,

I often watch youtubers talking about what is it to be living there and how once in a while they face racism, most of the stories are from them trying to eat in some small restaurant and the owners wont let them in because they are foreigner, seems like a very "normal" thing to encounter but then again this is something I only heard about from others (many many youtubers living there tell this story)

Well, that was a humorous exaggeration, but from what I've heard, Japanese people do indeed see foreigners more differently than one would in most other countries, which can be attributed to their very highly homogenous population. In short, if you're clearly not Asian, you will never become "one of them"[1]. I haven't heard very much about other Asians, but I'm sure that a problematic degree of racism does exist toward them[2]. But then again, I'm lumping all non-Japanese Asians together.

hmmm....since im fiipino (hair and skin color similar to japanese) i think i can manage to "blend in"

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that was a humorous exaggeration, but from what I've heard, Japanese people do indeed see foreigners more differently than one would in most other countries, which can be attributed to their very highly homogenous population. In short, if you're clearly not Asian, you will never become "one of them"[1]. I haven't heard very much about other Asians, but I'm sure that a problematic degree of racism does exist toward them[2]. But then again, I'm lumping all non-Japanese Asians together.

Im half japanese and I went to highschool in japan, the Jappanese are pretty indifferent to tourists  now if you're not full blodded japanese or happen to be from some other asian country they can be a tad elitist/nationalistic....