How do you determine that you have read a good Visual novel ? ^_^

Mr. Meogii

Any vn that makes me cry gets a higher score than it would have otherwise. Little Busters is the only vn that has ever made me start full-on sobbing at the end, which is part of the reason it's my favorite VN. Comedy has a similar effect- if it kept me laughing without getting stale, it was a good VN. The only other thing that really affects my decision is how attached to the characters I got. A VN could have an amazing story, but if I don't care about the characters, I probably won't remember it over fondly. Like, I thought Swan Song had a really great story, but absolutely none of the characters were particularly likeable to me, so that knocked it down a few points.

As for nukige... well, it should be obvious how those are judged.

DETERMINING A GOOD VISUAL NOVEL PART 1a

First :

Number of tears                                                                           d(VNDB rating)            

----------------------   +  ∑ Excitement!  X   (MOE) ( Hnngggggg)   -     ---------------------    =     β

Time                                                                                    d (Fuwanovel)

If

β  ≤    ∓  Waifu   

Then it is a good VN.

I forgot to mention:

This is the best equation I've ever seen.

obviously i feel satisfied when finished & never felt the urge to pause it midway, like taking a 2-3 days break after one route. hard to explain, but when i went all kyuuunnn while reading, then its been something very good.

I usually judge the game overall once I complete it. It doesn't matter how much I may like the characters and everything.. if the ending doesn't fit for a great conclusion then I'd give it a lower score.  A good VN leaves me with a memorable feeling.. my favorite kind is when I feel a bit mind-blown and everything fits together well... or the kind that makes me feel strongly, and causes me to reflect deeply after I've finished playing.

If the VN doesn't make me reflect much after playing like, "oh ok, I finished it.. it was decent. Now what do I play next?" then it probably wasn't that good to me.  If I really liked something, I'd probably reflect on what happened, why it amazed or touched me so much, and what I learned from it more personally.

I think it'd be similar to anime stories.

If the vn could convey whatever feelings amd thoughts it has to me, I would say I have read a good vn. However if I am left unaffected by whatever happened then it is not good. That's mostly for normal vns. As for some action-based vns , I judge by rather did it make my blood bump up wiyh excitement or not? But in the end I think conveying its feelings makes it good.

(We are talking only about non-nukige vns, right?)

If I'm not pissed off by any heroine routes and not bored by going through the endings, I usually consider the VN I read is good. A lot of heroines pisses me off or bores me tho (Tsubame, Maki, Kotori, Nene, etc).