How do you determine that you have read a good Visual novel ? ^_^

Mr. Meogii

So how do you guys come to a conclusion ?

I personally feel that if the novel I've read is not my preferred genre and I still end up liking the crap out of it then it's a great novel. It really doesn't take much. I prefer to be simple. But i'm sure that is not the case with everyone. 

Another way for me to tell is if I feel extremely sad that the novel has finished :P

I feel a VN is good when it engrosses you into it's story, makes you emotionally attached to it's characters and is overall enjoyable to read. Another way I tell is if the VN makes me feel or think differently about something I wouldn't normally think about.

When I'm legitimately sad that it is over and it drives me to take a look at its' half-baked fandisks/spinoffs that are not translated, getting frustrated by the lack of scientific progression of mankind (aka the VN reader), than giving up on trying to learn japanese in a day and just look up the spoilers. Than I get mad at myself for putting that much effort into trying to read a cash-in on the franchise.

DETERMINING A GOOD VISUAL NOVEL PART 1a

First :

Number of tears                                                                           d(VNDB rating)            

----------------------   +  ∑ Excitement!  X   (MOE) ( Hnngggggg)   -     ---------------------    =     β

Time                                                                                    d (Fuwanovel)

If

β  ≤    ∓  Waifu   

Then it is a good VN.

When it didn't made me cringe and the good things overwhelmed those that weren't. Otherwise I just pit them into oblivion and pray to the universe for them to fade into obscurity, before someone, somehow considers them "decent". Judging from the ammount of current, horribly written eroge being successful on the market, it isn't particulary effective.

Depends on the intensity of the emotions it makes me feel. It also depends on how well built is the story: how does its themes fit in every character, the symbols of the story, how do the routes mix with each other, etc. The memorability of the scenes also count. But one thing that will have a big role for me to classify the VN is how well-focused are the routes. If the routes tend to drive too much away from its conflict or the heroine, it's very well-likely I will consider it a bad VN or even drop it.

Another important aspect: the soundtrack. The soundtrack will contribute very much on how you will "feel" the moments of the VN.

There's a lot of other criteria, but those are the main ones.

The same kind of feeling one gets after knowing they read a really good book. :D

It happens rarely, but when it does, it's when it can change your mindset permanently in the best possible way.

999 did something that no other game or movie ever did; it successfully made me shed a few tears here and there (Mother 3's ending almost did), and that's the first time I somewhat cried by delving into any fictional work. The good soundtrack and its genre in regards to all the mysterious and dramatic situations contributed a lot to the experience.

YU-NO was also a thrill all the way through. I started playing it without expecting too much but it didn't take long until I realized I was playing a hidden gem. As a sucker for sci-fi, time travel (Back to the Future fanatic here) and parallel universes, the game's execution already made me indecisive on which game I preferred between 999 and this one.

To answer the thread's question, I became an entirely different man in 2011 after playing through 999; it makes me glad that I accidently discovered it online. I was in dire need for more and at the end it made all other games seem a lot less interesting in contrast to what I just played. I was badly looking for something similar.

Then I became someone else entirely again after playing through YU-NO, only about 2 months ago (2015). I'm sure it was the presentation, the soundtrack, the plot, the twists and the game's mechanic and the science fiction that I fell for; basically everything. The map system/time/flow chart was an awesome aspect, maybe my favourite, and one of the earliest games to use such a system. I'm not sure if there were other games that executed such a system like that before though.

I'm truly looking for a life changing experience again. I can easily tell that I've read a very good visual novel when I constantly reminisce on what I've just experienced: and it goes like this: "did that really just happen?" or "why did my universe have to end?! I don't want to go back into reality! Bring me back!"

DETERMINING A GOOD VISUAL NOVEL PART 1a

First :

Number of tears                                                                           d(VNDB rating)            

----------------------   +  ∑ Excitement!  X   (MOE) ( Hnngggggg)   -     ---------------------    =     β

Time                                                                                    d (Fuwanovel)

If

β  ≤    ∓  Waifu   

Then it is a good VN.

Depends on the intensity of the emotions it makes me feel. It also depends on how well built is the story: how does its themes fit in every character, the symbols of the story, how do the routes mix with each other, etc. The memorability of the scenes also count. But one thing that will have a big role for me to classify the VN is how well-focused are the routes. If the routes tend to drive too much away from its conflict or the heroine, it's very well-likely I will consider it a bad VN or even drop it.

Another important aspect: the soundtrack. The soundtrack will contribute very much on how you will "feel" the moments of the VN.

There's a lot of other criteria, but those are the main ones.

If the vn could convey whatever feelings amd thoughts it has to me, I would say I have read a good vn. However if I am left unaffected by whatever happened then it is not good. That's mostly for normal vns. As for some action-based vns , I judge by rather did it make my blood bump up wiyh excitement or not? But in the end I think conveying its feelings makes it good.

(We are talking only about non-nukige vns, right?)