music while gaming, your own or the ost?

krill

when i play games i almost always listen to one of my playlists that i made for the purpose of playing to game too. with some games if i like the sound of the ost i will listen to that instead but its rare. so what about you guys do you only use the ost? or do you play your own music? do you have a preference? if you use your own music what kind do you usually play as you game?

Depends?  If I'm playing a game that requires a crap ton of grinding, I usually switch to my own music so the game's OST doesn't start to drive me insane.  I almost always listen exclusively to OSTs otherwise, though, except if I've memorized all of the tracks by heart and am getting sick of them.

i have 2 categories of games i play, either i play a vn and ofc listen to the soundtrack and voice acting or i play something like monster hunter or dark souls or a fps, in which case i play music, news, podcasts, creepypastas, everything i need to listen to

there's nothing like getting you're head ripped of by a rathalos while listening to totalbiscuits soothing voice :lol:

i slightly disagree with this, not all games are crafted so the ost impacts the experience of playing the game. look at something like GTA 5 , the radio stations you choose has no real impact of the experience your gonna get, and i could argue that a good game with a bad ost or even a mediocre ost is actually better served by me listening to my own mix that i made for that style of or individual game. 

I still remember some PS2 motorcycle game I had that had an entire Slipknot album as part of its soundtrack, can't say i ever got tired of doing backflips while feeling like I'm summoning Satan.

But if it's just generic looping music it eventually just wears out as you play through it several times, even if it's beautifully crafted.

Theere have been several VNs in which I really enjoyed the OST and there have been others that made me palm me face. I love listening to my own stuff when playing video games though. I'm a huge music fan so music is a big part of my every day life... It's no surprise that my love for it tranfers over to gaming

I never ever listen to music when playing a Vn or even a normal game. I think it takes you out of the immersion. SFX and ost are important for setting the mood. Besides I'm more reading than really "playing" anything. I want to be able to concentrate on my reading. Lyrical music gets in the way of that.

I listen to my own music if I'm playing something something like a moba or hearthstone. Or sometimes with strategy games like xcom or civilization. I'll listen to the game's soundtrack for everything else. It helps for immersion, I trust the designers to use the right music to put you in the right mood for whatever you're doing. This goes for RPGs, open world games, action games, etc. They know best, and I'm not going to be so presumptuous as to overrule them on that, potentially worsening the experience for myself.

RPGs/VNs: In-game music

MMOs: I'll either be watching a Let's Play in another window or listening to a book on tape... I feel like I'm always wasting time playing an MMO if I'm not doing at least one other thing at the same time. Yeah I don't play MMOs much anymore

FPS: I used to listen to Disney songs when I played these, but I haven't played an FPS in a while. They used to be fun when I was still living with my parents and the wanton bloodshed was thrilling because I felt so naughty playing them, but now I can't really get in to any game that doesn't have a plot that hooks me so I tend to avoid FPSes except for a rare few with great stories in which case I usually use in-game music to preserve the atmosphere

Considering my Disney CD selection at the time consisted mainly of either Lion King or Oliver and Company... yeah that's probably exactly what happened. Though it probably wasn't people I was shooting. Military shooters weren't a big thing at the time, so it was more about shooting monsters or aliens.