How Can Visual Novel Players Expose Newcomers to the Genre?

6jHyfMj.jpg

Hi Fuwanovel,

I would like to try something out with the Fuwanovel podcast that I hope will be received well by the community and facilitate more visual novel discussion here on the forums and outside of the website with friends. This idea was originally suggested by sanahtlig when he thought that The Major and I should make a few changes to the YouTube videos of the podcast to help traffic people into listening to older episodes. I wanted to take that a step further with this test thread. I apologize that it isn't as eye catchy or enthusiastic as some of my other work I have posted, but with all of the recent stuff that has occurred in the past couple of days on Fuwanovel, I am still extremely stressed about posting things I used to be comfortable with, so I am going straight to the point and trying to remain neutral.

Anyways, I just finished recording episode 12 of the podcast. The topic was about how newcomers should be exposed to VNs. 5 members gave their opinions about what they felt were good selections for them to play. Whether you are a veteran, newcomer, female, or nukige player, all sides of the matter were addressed. Using that topic from the most recent recording, I wanted to open up the discussion to the forums as well to see what you think.

Linked below is the podcast episode. You can either listen to it on my Mixcloud account or download it directly (in mp3 format) from my Google Drive.

Mixcloud: https://www.mixcloud.com/OriginalRen/test-test

Direct Download: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7ivNNDDfsj5cGFMTUFfcTY0enc/edit?pli=1

After listening to the podcast episode, feel free to share your own opinions about this topic in the thread. Listed below some of the questions that were asked in some way or another during the cast.

Some questions that were asked during the podcast:

• What games do you recommend every newcomer checks out when it comes to playing visual novels? Which VNs do you think they should avoid?
  • How important do you feel comedy is when introducing newcomers to a VN? How important are emotional situations?
  • Major companies (Sekai Project, Mangagamer, etc.) are working hard to translate VNs for the world and bring the genre to many players, both old and new. What are you opinions on their style of business?
  • Do you feel gaming platforms such as Steam are a good introductory way of showcasing visual novels?
  • Would you recommend OELVNs or Japanese translated VNs for those who are just starting out? What are your opinions when comparing them?
  • Name 1 visual novel that you absolutely think nobody should ever play ever. Why did you chose it?

Feel free to answer any or all of these questions in the thread. If there is something in the podcast episode that you want to expand or comment on, feel free to do this as well. This area is meant for discussion about the episode and the overall theme of how we can expose new members to visual novels, regardless of what you like.

Why am I creating this thread?

I think this is a good idea for a few reasons. First, I think this is a good chance for people to share their opinions about the podcast if they were interested in volunteering but didn't get the chance to join. People who aren't comfortable with talking in person can also join the discussion and share their thoughts about the given topic.

Second, I was hoping that after this thread's discussion dies down in a week or 2, I could post older episodes of the cast using the same format and start a whole new discussion topic about something related to VNs. I will try to avoid the themed episodes from the previous recordings (Grisaia, Hoshizora) so spoilers don't become an issue, but the rest of the episodes might be interesting. By doing this, I hope more people will facilitate in visual novel discussion and actively want to suggest and volunteer for future episodes.

Finally, I think this is good for the moderating team on Fuwanovel. Instead of discussing threads that are cluttering the chatter section, they can focus their attention on something that will have a lot of varying opinions and be fun to participate in I hope.

Anyways, I hope this thread and others after it help spark some discussion in the visual novel section of the forums in the coming weeks. I also hope people become more interested in the podcast a little more as a result. Thanks again.

Wow, not bad at all. Was pretty interesting to hear. (Though honestly your reasons for getting into VNs are disturbing as crap :P)

Looking forward to more from you guys, especially Sanahtlig and Suikashoujo.

This is just a reminder to ask if people would be interested in discussing the podcast episode. Remember that you don't need to listen to the episode if you don't want to, but feel free to participate in the discussion of the questions that were asked during it.

Here is a list of the questions in case you forgot:

• What games do you recommend every newcomer checks out when it comes to playing visual novels? Which VNs do you think they should avoid?
  • How important do you feel comedy is when introducing newcomers to a VN? How important are emotional situations?
  • Major companies (Sekai Project, Mangagamer, etc.) are working hard to translate VNs for the world and bring the genre to many players, both old and new. What are you opinions on their style of business?
  • Do you feel gaming platforms such as Steam are a good introductory way of showcasing visual novels?
  • Would you recommend OELVNs or Japanese translated VNs for those who are just starting out? What are your opinions when comparing them?
  • Name 1 visual novel that you absolutely think nobody should ever play ever. Why did you chose it?

I think this was very good idea and you did very good work with it OriginalRen.

Here is my answer for the question

• What games do you recommend every newcomer checks out when it comes to playing visual novels? Which VNs do you think they should avoid? I recommend Ever 17 out of infinty for newcomer since the story are very good and the VN are not very hard to read and the VN they should avoid are Yandere since the are alot of blood in it.
  • How important do you feel comedy is when introducing newcomers to a VN? How important are emotional situations? I feel its very important since the can get Newcomer to laugh and get them to like the VN more.
  • Major companies (Sekai Project, Mangagamer, etc.) are working hard to translate VNs for the world and bring the genre to many players, both old and new. What are you opinions on their style of business? my option are very high since they do very good work with translate VNs since its not very easy job.
  • Do you feel gaming platforms such as Steam are a good introductory way of showcasing visual novels? yes since its easy buy VN there and sometimes you would find VNs you like on sale.
  • Would you recommend OELVNs or Japanese translated VNs for those who are just starting out? What are your opinions when comparing them? I would recommend OELVNs and my option about OELVNs are very good.
  • Name 1 visual novel that you absolutely think nobody should ever play ever. Why did you chose it? euphoria and why I chose it well its because i dont think its very good game at all and the game look very bad.

Hmm... first my list of VNs to avoid introducing people to initially:

Cross Channel (because Taichi is an acquired taste)

School Days (for obvious reasons)

Muv-Luv (all of them)

Comyu

Second, my list of recommendations for beginners, based on genre preferences for the individual

Fantasy/Sci-fi:

Tsukihime (because if you don't play this first, you'll probably not get around to it, and that is a waste)

FSN

Ayakashibito

Slice of Life

Clannad

Little Busters

Ikikoi

Hoshimemo

Horror:

Saya no Uta

Demonbane

Unique:

Grisaia

Narcissu

Eden*

Non-ero:

Katawa Shoujo

Phenomeno

Ever17

Higurashi (for similar reasons to Tsukihime)

To be blunt, a lot of it is a combination of impact of narrative, impact of visuals, and impact of design.  In other words, if you want to interest someone, first find their tastes, then hit them with a VN that suits those tastes and has a lot of impact.  That's if they are willing to try it in the first place.

You're cool for always being entertaining, but sorry I didn't listen to the podcast. I always lose patience in a recording that long. :amane:

This is just a reminder to ask if people would be interested in discussing the podcast episode. Remember that you don't need to listen to the episode if you don't want to, but feel free to participate in the discussion of the questions that were asked during it. Here is a list of the questions in case you forgot:

Firstly, thanks Ren for making the thread. Encourage and making accessible more discussion is never a bad thing.

I have an opinion, but it kinda sucks. I'm not sure how people react to different titles and what they are looking for.

Rather than that, I feel like it would be nice to spread knowledge about VN's among the anime/japanese-media communities. Rather than recommending titles first. Make it so that anyone who is curious can check VN's out, without too much blind stumbling. Essentially, make the term and medium VN more widely known among the greater community, similiar to how most people know what vocaloids are, even if they aren't fans themselves.

Compared to anime:

-longer storylines, often tens of hours.

-heavy reading without gameplay

-multiple routes, usually but not also having a romantic connection to each of the heroines.

-yes, most japanese VN's do have H-scenes.

Notable points:

Nearly all Vn's have multiple routes and romance is very common, making it good for the moe romance lover.

Light-hearted VN's have tons of dialogue and comedy, for those who couldn't get enough of their favorite show.

Vn's have OST's as well!

For those who enjoy large grand stories that gradually reveal themselves and build up, there are those VN's too.

Plot-based VN's are good for those who like stories with the anime feel, but with more detail and substance to them.

Narrative and length often make for greater immersion. Imagine an anime you really got into over time. Many VN's have that feeling.

You're cool for always being entertaining, but sorry I didn't listen to the podcast. I always lose patience in a recording that long. :amane: 1. Short ones with wide appeal like Narcissu and Planetarian. Also, 999 because it's a good work to counter the thought, "Why not a book?" I wouldn't recommend really long ones, like Umineko and MLA. But they're still good.

2. I think it's relative to their tastes. Japan's comedy may not be to a newcomer's liking, after all. Emotional scenes are more important, as being able to get emotional in a scene is proof that it affected you. Even less emotional works like E17 are good because of them.

3. Hmm, I'm not really informed on how they do things, so I can't answer this.

4. Of course. A lot of people don't even know what a VN is. That little exposure would help. Although some things don't help, like people complaining about Steam's censorship. I saw an article on Kotaku referring to VNs as "sex games" and I think it details what people think of them a bit.

5. If a person has been exposed to Japanese culture, then I would say a VN would be good. If not, an OELVN would be good to ease them in. (Unless it's heavily Japan-influenced.)

6. Hmm, I haven't disliked a VN among those I've played. So I'll just say Sakura Spirit. Even if I haven't played it.

Recommending stuff for newcomers is not easy because it depends on so much what the person in question likes and can tolerate. Some people are fine running in to H-scenes and stuff, but not everybody. And it's always better to make them read something that interest them.

But the stuff I could recommend to every VN newcomer would be Steins;Gate, and zero escape games if they happen to like games. They both have great and intense story, which will surely leave a strong impression and thus make them crave for more. Or so I hope. 

Comedy is always good thing to have, but it's not necessary depending on the experience the newcomer is seeking. Emotional situations on the other hand are really important, if you manage to make the newcomer care about the story so much that it manages to affect the newcomer emotionally, it's already a win. 

Steam would be good place to introduce people VNs trough all-ages games, but sadly it's not there yet. It lacks major VNs that could work as a killer app, and the steam community surrounding VNs is also pretty awful The bashing of all-ages versions and "censorism" makes it really hard to judge what is actually good and not.

If the VN strikes the newcomers interest and is actually good, I wouldn't care about being OELVN or not. But I still would rather recommend translated one, since there are differences in style and content.

It is interesting you mention the fact that you would like the term "visual novel" to become more popular for players, yet Japan doesn't even know what that term means and instead calls VNs PC games. In fact, when a western audience thinks of a PC game, they might think of games you can find on Steam or the like.

What are you opinions about this specifically? When or where do you think the term visual novel became the norm outside of Japan? Along that note, do you feel visual novels can only encompass the Japanese style of writing and culture?

Japan might actually have a similiar problem, in that many people will have an idea of what eroge is, but probably only those in the know understand that the story and chars is the dominating factor. Using eroge in english is terrible outside the established community because it requires an explanation (ero+game), and then another (well, but there's a lot of ones with really good stories as well!). Plus, the term visual novel is conveniently a lot closer to the medium's technical definition.

As for what the medium is capable, of course the format can support english language and story structure. As for naming conventions, I would go for: Visual novel (mostly thinking about Japanese VN's, but can also be them as a whole), and western visual novel (with the explanation that visual novels first became a thing in Japan).

Ill state my opinion on a way to introduce people that's entierly new to this japanese entertainment world, which means they haven't interacted with anime, manga, hentai or VN before, I'm gonna stick with english words to describe genres etc. to help newcomers and make it easier to explain to people that isn't used to this world.

It's all about taste when it comes down to it, if you like action, sci-fi, drama, romance etc, sex scenes may be a aspect aswell, for people that is entierly new to japanese entertainment and enjoys drama, romance and tearjerkers i'd recammend the two VNs that introduced me into VN and anime alike, Clannad and Katawa shoujo, they are both simple to read, they have little to no sex scenes that may scare newcomers away. I believe that it's easy to get into and katawa shoujo aspecially because it's probably alot easier for westerners (I think... It's been a while since ive read it).

If you or the person you are introducing VNs to is more into sci-fi, action and/or thriller i'd recommend Steins:Gate & Fate/Stay Night, I haven't read those to personally yet, but they have little to no sex scenes and they are both made into anime that should be decent or good, i think it'd be easier to get into for people that prefer this genre of entertainment and is completely new.

The biggest problems with my recommendations are that they might be too long for a newcomer. I, personally have always prefered longer VNs to get more in touch with the characters but this might not be for everyone so a shorter VN might be better. I haven't really read alot of short ones so I find it a little hard to recommend one, but if someone asked me right now i'd say Ripples, it's extremely short and it's westernized, not a bad VN, but i'd say it's too short and too westernized to get properly introduced to japanese entertainment. Other than that maybe planeterian, I haven't read that one, yet, either but it's a KEY production so it's probably not bad.

And on a side note, i'd say that you probably want to stay cleer of VNs that has excessive h-scenes even if he asks for it, and aspecially VNs that has rape, loli, futa and other fetishes that can be considered extreme or wrong, tho they are mostly only on nukige there may be some non nukige with that that kind of things, i know of a few with rape.

I'm not sure if comedy is important or not tbh, because japanese humour and western humour isn't allways the same, that's not to say that westerners can't laugh of the japanese jokes and vice versa.

I think this will mostly depend on the person, if the person enjoys humour than it's important, but if he prefers thrillers, etc. than it might not be too important.

I think introducing them to emotional situations might be one of the best factors to get newcomers to stay, ofc it depends on tastes but i'd say most people would end up in a love/hate relationship with VNs like me, or they would love it. Some may hate it, the emotional situations that is, but i don't think it would be too many. Me personally got into VNs becuase of the emotional situations in katawa shoujo and Clannad.

My opinion is pretty much that they are doing a good job of it, it just gives me more things to read so it's hard to have any other opinion about it ^^

Yes, definitive, because it's mostly gamers who uses steam and alot of people sees it and get curious about it, alot of people that didn't know VNs exists will learn about it. The only thing, is that they remove sexual content entierly. It may be postivie or negative depending on how it's viewed, I think it's probably easier to digest for newcomers if there's little to no sexual content, and if you want sexual content there is usually ways to get it even if you bought it through steam as ive read it.

Thanks for making the episode!

1) It depends on what the person is interested in reading.

-If it's romance and I think they're okay with hentai, I'd recommend them Crescendo. Mostly because it has character routes very different from each other. I think they could find the kind of romance they're looking for in one game, whether it's a light-hearted or more dark feel they're wanting. There's also routes with almost no hentai until the end, and also routes that have it more often so they can choose what they're more comfortable with.

-If they're looking for some gameplay element, I'd recommend them 999 or Danganronpa, because they are very interesting and fun.

-If I don't think they'd be okay with hentai content, I'd recommend them Katawa Shoujo since it has the skip h-scenes feature on it. Or I'd recommend them Steins Gate if they hadn't watched the anime yet, and wanted a good, interesting story.

-If they want an Otome.. I can only think of Hakouki to recommend, since I haven't played many.

I think I'd avoid recommending nukige games, unless they specifically asked me for it. I wouldn't want them to get the impression that that's all VNs are about and scare them away.  :nervous:

2) Again, depends on the person. Comedy can be good if that's what they're looking for and enjoy. For me, I think the emotional connection to the story/characters is more important. Because if it touches them in an emotional way it'll be more engaging, memorable and probably want to experience that again.  So instead of something just funny, I'd recommend them more on what feeling they want to experience.

3) I'm just happy they're making VNs more available and visible for people to enjoy. 

4) Actually I've never used Steam but know of it.  I do think it's a good way of introducing people to VNs though.  Depending on the types of VNs available on there, it could be a bad or good thing... because people who haven't gotten much exposure to them may assume all VNs are like the ones on Steam.  

5) I haven't played many OELVNs, so can't really say much about them. I'd probably recommend the Japanese translated VNs just because those are the ones I've read more of.

6) I can't really think of one that no one should ever play.. since people may like things even if I don't.  But~ a VN that came to mind that I wouldn't want to recommend others is School Days, lol.  That's just because I thought the h-scenes in them were Horrible and cringe-worthy... and I was biased on what I wanted to happen in the story (and it didn't).  Instead of playing the VN, I'd just tell people to watch the anime instead.

Recommending stuff for newcomers is not easy because it depends on so much what the person in question likes and can tolerate. Some people are fine running in to H-scenes and stuff, but not everybody. And it's always better to make them read something that interest them.

But the stuff I could recommend to every VN newcomer would be Steins;Gate, and zero escape games if they happen to like games. They both have great and intense story, which will surely leave a strong impression and thus make them crave for more. Or so I hope. 

Comedy is always good thing to have, but it's not necessary depending on the experience the newcomer is seeking. Emotional situations on the other hand are really important, if you manage to make the newcomer care about the story so much that it manages to affect the newcomer emotionally, it's already a win. 

Steam would be good place to introduce people VNs trough all-ages games, but sadly it's not there yet. It lacks major VNs that could work as a killer app, and the steam community surrounding VNs is also pretty awful The bashing of all-ages versions and "censorism" makes it really hard to judge what is actually good and not.

If the VN strikes the newcomers interest and is actually good, I wouldn't care about being OELVN or not. But I still would rather recommend translated one, since there are differences in style and content.

Ill state my opinion on a way to introduce people that's entierly new to this japanese entertainment world, which means they haven't interacted with anime, manga, hentai or VN before, I'm gonna stick with english words to describe genres etc. to help newcomers and make it easier to explain to people that isn't used to this world.

It's all about taste when it comes down to it, if you like action, sci-fi, drama, romance etc, sex scenes may be a aspect aswell, for people that is entierly new to japanese entertainment and enjoys drama, romance and tearjerkers i'd recammend the two VNs that introduced me into VN and anime alike, Clannad and Katawa shoujo, they are both simple to read, they have little to no sex scenes that may scare newcomers away. I believe that it's easy to get into and katawa shoujo aspecially because it's probably alot easier for westerners (I think... It's been a while since ive read it).

If you or the person you are introducing VNs to is more into sci-fi, action and/or thriller i'd recommend Steins:Gate & Fate/Stay Night, I haven't read those to personally yet, but they have little to no sex scenes and they are both made into anime that should be decent or good, i think it'd be easier to get into for people that prefer this genre of entertainment and is completely new.

The biggest problems with my recommendations are that they might be too long for a newcomer. I, personally have always prefered longer VNs to get more in touch with the characters but this might not be for everyone so a shorter VN might be better. I haven't really read alot of short ones so I find it a little hard to recommend one, but if someone asked me right now i'd say Ripples, it's extremely short and it's westernized, not a bad VN, but i'd say it's too short and too westernized to get properly introduced to japanese entertainment. Other than that maybe planeterian, I haven't read that one, yet, either but it's a KEY production so it's probably not bad.

And on a side note, i'd say that you probably want to stay cleer of VNs that has excessive h-scenes even if he asks for it, and aspecially VNs that has rape, loli, futa and other fetishes that can be considered extreme or wrong, tho they are mostly only on nukige there may be some non nukige with that that kind of things, i know of a few with rape.

I'm not sure if comedy is important or not tbh, because japanese humour and western humour isn't allways the same, that's not to say that westerners can't laugh of the japanese jokes and vice versa.

I think this will mostly depend on the person, if the person enjoys humour than it's important, but if he prefers thrillers, etc. than it might not be too important.

I think introducing them to emotional situations might be one of the best factors to get newcomers to stay, ofc it depends on tastes but i'd say most people would end up in a love/hate relationship with VNs like me, or they would love it. Some may hate it, the emotional situations that is, but i don't think it would be too many. Me personally got into VNs becuase of the emotional situations in katawa shoujo and Clannad.

My opinion is pretty much that they are doing a good job of it, it just gives me more things to read so it's hard to have any other opinion about it ^^

Yes, definitive, because it's mostly gamers who uses steam and alot of people sees it and get curious about it, alot of people that didn't know VNs exists will learn about it. The only thing, is that they remove sexual content entierly. It may be postivie or negative depending on how it's viewed, I think it's probably easier to digest for newcomers if there's little to no sexual content, and if you want sexual content there is usually ways to get it even if you bought it through steam as ive read it.

You guys both mentioned emotional scenes being important in a VN. What kind of emotion do you think would strike newcomers the most: romantic emotions (relationships) or life changing events (death, family, etc.)?

Thanks for making the episode!

1) It depends on what the person is interested in reading.

-If it's romance and I think they're okay with hentai, I'd recommend them Crescendo. Mostly because it has character routes very different from each other. I think they could find the kind of romance they're looking for in one game, whether it's a light-hearted or more dark feel they're wanting. There's also routes with almost no hentai until the end, and also routes that have it more often so they can choose what they're more comfortable with.

-If they're looking for some gameplay element, I'd recommend them 999 or Danganronpa, because they are very interesting and fun.

-If I don't think they'd be okay with hentai content, I'd recommend them Katawa Shoujo since it has the skip h-scenes feature on it. Or I'd recommend them Steins Gate if they hadn't watched the anime yet, and wanted a good, interesting story.

-If they want an Otome.. I can only think of Hakouki to recommend, since I haven't played many.

I think I'd avoid recommending nukige games, unless they specifically asked me for it. I wouldn't want them to get the impression that that's all VNs are about and scare them away.  :nervous:

2) Again, depends on the person. Comedy can be good if that's what they're looking for and enjoy. For me, I think the emotional connection to the story/characters is more important. Because if it touches them in an emotional way it'll be more engaging, memorable and probably want to experience that again.  So instead of something just funny, I'd recommend them more on what feeling they want to experience.

3) I'm just happy they're making VNs more available and visible for people to enjoy. 

4) Actually I've never used Steam but know of it.  I do think it's a good way of introducing people to VNs though.  Depending on the types of VNs available on there, it could be a bad or good thing... because people who haven't gotten much exposure to them may assume all VNs are like the ones on Steam.  

5) I haven't played many OELVNs, so can't really say much about them. I'd probably recommend the Japanese translated VNs just because those are the ones I've read more of.

6) I can't really think of one that no one should ever play.. since people may like things even if I don't.  But~ a VN that came to mind that I wouldn't want to recommend others is School Days, lol.  That's just because I thought the h-scenes in them were Horrible and cringe-worthy... and I was biased on what I wanted to happen in the story (and it didn't).  Instead of playing the VN, I'd just tell people to watch the anime instead.

When introducing someone to the genre of visual novels, how would you go about explaining the different terms that are used (i.e. = nukige, otome, eroge, etc.)?

Scenario Question Follow-Up:

Imagine that a friend of yours played a visual novel for the 1st time. They did not enjoy it, and found that those types of games aren't very interesting (i.e. = they played the Sakura series on Steam). Still, they are willing to give it another go. How would you convince them that not all VNs are like that and how would you convince them to keep trying?

When introducing someone to the genre of visual novels, how would you go about explaining the different terms that are used (i.e. = nukige, otome, eroge, etc.)?

Well, I only used those terms on here because I'm assuming everyone knows what I'm talking about ;p. 

At first, I wouldn't worry too much about the different terms. I'll just think about what kind of VN I should recommend them based on what they are looking for in general. Like whether they want to play something aimed towards dating male or female characters, no hentai vs hentai or lots of it, or maybe something just more focused on the story overall.  I'll ask them questions like that to narrow down what they would like to play.  I don't think it's necessary to explain and get them to understand those terms, especially as a newcomer... and they might be weirded out too, if I try to make them learn that kind of stuff, lol.

Maybe when they actually become interested and want to learn more about VNs, I'd try to explain the terms for them so they can more easily look up the type of games they are wanting to play.  That's how I'd usually go about it.  ^_^

Still, they are willing to give it another go. How would you convince them that not all VNs are like that and how would you convince them to keep trying?

I'd try to explain to them that not all VNs are like the one they just played, and try to recommend them something else different.  Probably tell them to go play something I really really like, like 999 or Danganronpa... and if they don't enjoy it nor have any appreciation for it, I give up.. because how could anyone not like that?!  :jinpou:

You guys both mentioned emotional scenes being important in a VN. What kind of emotion do you think would strike newcomers the most: romantic emotions (relationships) or life changing events (death, family, etc.)?

I think it's dependent on the person, me myself is a hopeless romantic and I love the romantic problems(That really makes it look like i'm lyin about being a hopeless romantic xd) as long as they get back together, but I think, if you want to hit the largest amount of people than i'd say life changing events would probably be the best choice.

Ah yeah, it also depends on wether or not the person gets into the characters, heroine and protagnoists alike, if they don't then emotional scenes might not be as important for them as it would for others.

Imagine that a friend of yours played a visual novel for the 1st time. They did not enjoy it, and found that those types of games aren't very interesting (i.e. = they played the Sakura series on Steam). Still, they are willing to give it another go. How would you convince them that not all VNs are like that and how would you convince them to keep trying?

Depending on the friend, if hes a anime fan or not etc, if it's a person that enjoys anime than i'd pick a anime that's maybe disliked or alot like that VN than i'd point out that all anime is not like that, maybe i'd do the same using a tv show as an example.

If it's a friend new to this kind of entertainment than i'd just try my best to explain that all VN is not like that and fish up a VN that I believe he would like out of his tastes and personality and i'd tell him to give it a try if he wants to, if he doesn't want to or he still dislikes it than I'd give up because VN is not for everyone, just like reading normal books is not for everyone.

That differs so much from person to person, but generally something with really strong impact. Usually those strong impacts became to most memorable parts of your experience, it doesn't really matter what the actual emotion in question was.

Many newcomers are probably expecting romance from VNs, so something really romantic and heartwarming should work. Bittersweet emotions could work as well. The combination of positive and negative emotions creates really strong impressions.

I would make them play something different from the one they played to show that there are all kinds of VNs. One way could be making them play something really impressive and well written like Type-Moon stuff, even if that wasn't something I would have recommended initially.

You mentioned that people should avoid the Sakura series, yet at the same time think Steam should be an able medium for the genre. Do you feel the Sakura series has tarnished the image of VNs for people who find them on Steam?

Hmm, I was just joking at first, but thinking about it, I would say yes. From my understanding, the image of VNs are pretty bad for two reasons, one being that there's porn in most of them. There being quite the amount of Nukige doesn't help. Sakura Spirit comes across as a "porn game" despite there being none, and its quality is poor. I also bet it would be easier to come across that than a random Nukige on say, Mangagamer's site. Personally, the moment I saw the cover art my judgmental side cringed. Although I guess there are more Nukiges out there than the plot VNs but the people turned off by the porn should be shown that despite it there is something of worth. I doubt they'll find what they're looking for in Sakura.

For the follow-up question, I think I'd try to pique their interest in a good story, and bring up the fact it's a VN later.

Question to everyone else:

If someone you want to get into VNs is pretty adamant about not doing so, how would you go about it?