Fuwacast Revival

OriginalRen

Gd5GYtp.jpg

Please Note: I made a new thread regarding the podcast revival because the old 1 only has a single follower, and I damn well know that nobody will read it and nothing will happen. For some reason it dropped from 18 followers to 1, and that 1 follows be default, so don't get mad because I posted a new thread. Deal with it. Anyways...

It's podcast revival time everyone! I want to record an episode as soon as possible, and I thought the best way to get back into things is to have a "welcome back" episode, featuring a total of 3 guests who are frequent players of visual novels. Here is the topic (as suggested by solidbatman some time ago) that I had in mind:

Episode 12: Introducing a Genre - How to Attract Newcomers to the VN World

As the title suggests, this episode will be about how we as visual novel enthusiasts can introduce newcomers to the genre and what you think are the most effective ways in doing so. Example questions may include:

• What games do you recommend every newcomer checks out when it comes to playing visual novels?
  • Which games do you think newcomers should avoid?
  • If you are a veteran of VNs (translated or not), is there any advice you have for someone just starting out? On the contrary, if you are new to the scene, what sorts of questions do you have if any?
  • Major companies (Sekai Project, Mangagamer, etc.) are working hard to translate VNs for the world and bring the genre to many players, both old and new. What are you opinions on their style of business?
  • Do you feel gaming platforms such as Steam are a good introductory way of showcasing visual novels?
  • Would you recommend OELVNs or Japanese translated VNs for those who are just starting out? What are your opinions when comparing the 2?
  • What kinds of genres exist in visual novels, and which ones do you think are the easiest to get into and enjoy?
  • Do you recommend watching anime adaptations (if they exist) for VNs?

These are just some of the questions I can think of for the podcast. For the actual cast itself, I would like to feature members from across the spectrum, meaning I would like a visual novel (translated or untranslated) reader who has been on the scene for quite some time, in addition to someone who is new to the world of VNs. Overall, I want 3 volunteers for this cast. Please volunteer if you are interested below. Podcast episodes last about 60 minutes, and all details can be found in the OP of the main thread:

/index.php?/topic/5077-fuwanovel-podcast-fuwacast-official-thread">http://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/5077-fuwanovel-podcast-fuwacast-official-thread

Thanks again guys, and I look forward to seeing some volunteers! The sooner we get going, the better!

I remember thinking "What the hell is this?" when I first checked the Visual Novel Discussion subforum.  Unfortunately, I don't think I fit in to any of those categories, and even if I did, I probably wouldn't know how to answer.

While I can't say that I will ever probably listen to them, I wish you the best of luck on attempting to reanimate this corpse.

Please Note: I made a new thread regarding the podcast revival because the old 1 only has a single follower

• Would you recommend OELVNs or Japanese translated VNs for those who are just starting out? What are your opinions when comparing the 2?

I remember thinking "What the hell is this?" when I first checked the Visual Novel Discussion subforum.  Unfortunately, I don't think I fit in to any of those categories, and even if I did, I probably wouldn't know how to answer.

While I can't say that I will ever probably listen to them, I wish you the best of luck on attempting to reanimate this corpse.

Back when I was in high school English class, my teacher always yelled at me for mixing numbers into words.  I had never got why he did it until about last year when I read a news article that did it over frequently when not dealing with either large numbers or math.  Wiktionary tells me these are most probably pronouns, not numbers, so please spell them out. There is a fine line to cross my friend, and I think you just did.  OCD has been engaged.

I've been following the English VN scene for 12 years now, and I've been reading Japanese VNs using translation tools for about 8 years. I could fill the "veteran" slot if you'd like. You can check my VNDB profile for the spread of titles I've played.

I should add that if you're looking for someone who's really enthusiastic and bubbling over with ideas on how to attract newcomers to VNs, I'm probably not the the right pick. My attitude is fairly cynical. I am however pretty knowledgeable about the scene in general. I could potentially serve as a counterbalance if you find someone of the more bubbly type.

~~

Also, I think a new thread for every podcast is a good idea. A sticky is a great way to get people to miss an active thread. A sticky is best for conveying an announcement / general information post that isn't subject to change, as in general people will look at it once and then ignore it.

Oh I am so happy that fuwacast is coming back. Also I wish you would just make a thread about every new podcast since that's easier for a lot of people to notice. I am really sorry for my incompetence so I can't really help much but then again I am happy that there are many volunteers up till now :D Really looking forward to it.

On a side note, it's probably that I don't really understand the meaning of OCD but what does it have to do with writing numbers in words or actual numbers?

Lol this would have been a helpful podcast to see before I convinced my boyfriend to read a VN with me and he picked out Grisaia. I've never read it and I don't know if it's newcomer friendly I just know there is a lot of talk around it and out of 50 or so different VNs I he looked through this is the one that stood out to him.

I can't really contribute to the podcast the way others can but I'd be very interested in seeing this for future recommendations for friends, and maybe a good second/third VN for my BF if Grisaia works out well.

I've been following the English VN scene for 12 years now, and I've been reading Japanese VNs using translation tools for about 8 years.  I could fill the "veteran" slot if you'd like.  You can check my VNDB profile for the spread of titles I've played.

I should add that if you're looking for someone who's really enthusiastic and bubbling over with ideas on how to attract newcomers to VNs, I'm probably not the the right pick.  My attitude is fairly cynical.  I am however pretty knowledgeable about the scene in general.  I could potentially serve as a counterbalance if you find someone of the more bubbly type.

I would love to volunteer and as I've said previous I've been playing vns for quite some time (Ever 17 when you could still purchase it). I would definitely be considered a veteran as far as reading visual novels actually goes. If I can't manage to make this one hopefully you'll at least invite me for a future one. I'm assuming this would be done via teamspeak?

I would love to volunteer and as I've said previous I've been playing vns for quite some time (Ever 17 when you could still purchase it). I would definitely be considered a veteran as far as reading visual novels actually goes. If I can't manage to make this one hopefully you'll at least invite me for a future one. I'm assuming this would be done via teamspeak?

You should seriously update your VNDB profile. :P

You should seriously update your VNDB profile. :P

I've been using notepad to store my info for what seems like forever...I recently deleted my vndb info because I wanted to change my votes on a lot of titles all at once and figured redoing it would be quicker...I seem to have forgotten to redo it. Thanks for the reminder...I get distracted easily.

I do not know whether to classify myself as a beginner or a moderate reader of VNs anymore ever since I began visiting Fuwa, so you veterans "grade me" if you wish ;)

I find the idea of participating in a podcast interesting, though my college schedule might get in the way. As for answers to the topics provided, while they might not be deeply developed, I can share my two cents on these matters if you find me fitting :)

My score card would look something like this:

Novice: 1-4 VNs

Apprentice: 5-14

Initiate: 15-49 

Journeyman: 50-149

Adept: 150-499

Master: 500+

That's a simplification, as it would also be weighted by the length of the games, as well as the breadth of genres they cover.  By the time you've graduated from Journeyman, you'll likely have developed an area of focus that you're more or less an authority on.  In my case, that's eroge with gameplay.

Rumors abound of a legendary "Deity" status that awaits those who complete more than 1500 VNs.  Many have strived for this status, but typically end up succumbing to real-life obligations, waning interest in the hobby, or the most dreaded of them all: erectile dysfunction.

Lol this would have been a helpful podcast to see before I convinced my boyfriend to read a VN with me and he picked out Grisaia. I've never read it and I don't know if it's newcomer friendly I just know there is a lot of talk around it and out of 50 or so different VNs I he looked through this is the one that stood out to him.

I can't really contribute to the podcast the way others can but I'd be very interested in seeing this for future recommendations for friends, and maybe a good second/third VN for my BF if Grisaia works out well.

Grisaia is a double edged sword.  It is perfect as a beginner VN as is does simple route selection, great and intentional writing, and in general showcases what you can expect from a top quality VN in the current market.  This is why it is also a double edged sword; because it is so good, finding a VN that can stand up to it after you've finished it is tricky, and often you will have to ease yourself out of expecting something like it except once in a crimson moon.

Back on topic:

My score card would look something like this:

Novice: 1-4 VNs

Apprentice: 5-14

Initiate: 15-49 

Journeyman: 50-149

Adept: 150-499

Master: 500+

This scale probably needs to have a multiplier of about 1/3 on it, or at least be normalized over a bell curve.  Bar anyone who knows Japanese, finding over 50 VN's that are translated and fit your interest is fairly difficult, and I would say nigh impossible as it currently stands.  Like anything else, I would say that before even starting a VN, you probably already have an idea of what your interests are in because of either books, manga, or movies.  If you haven't picked up on certain patterns in the genre you are interested in by the 20th game and can predict how the general layout of the VN is by the 30th, something is wrong.  This holds true for most mediums, so saying that 150 is required to be an authority is somewhat silly. 

Bar anyone who knows Japanese, finding over 50 VN's that are translated and fit your interest is fairly difficult, and I would say nigh impossible as it currently stands. 

That's a feature in the (admittedly arbitrary) scoring system, not a bug.  Nonetheless I have encountered VNDB profiles which list hundreds of English-only games.  These people do exist.

It's kind of hard to say you're an authority on a foreign literary medium when you're restricted to the 5% of works that get translated.  That's even more dubious than claiming to be an authority on Japanese history and not being able to read the primary source material.  I'd propose that if you can't browse untranslated titles in your area of focus and comment with authority on which titles are worthy of being licensed, you're not an "authority" in any meaningful sense of the term.

I have sent PMs to the people I would like to be featured on the podcast! Stay tuned for more details. If you weren't featured this time around, don't worry; I plan to have another episode very soon. Also, if you have any suggestions for future episodes, as always, post them in the main thread linked below.

http://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/5077-fuwanovel-podcast-fuwacast-official-thread

Thanks again for all the volunteers!

I've mostly forgotten what it's like being new to vns (though I'm not veteran by any means)... I think when I first played VN's I loved it when each VN would suck me in, and I wished for each story to have a huge payoff at the end (be it emotionally (katawa shoujo), or plot wise (ever-17, steins gate, g-senjou no maou). Now, besides for enjoyment, I play to see what VNs are "about". If it's a simple concept, then how the scenes and characters are layed out. If it's a complex subject matter, then that itself.

Saya no Uta is oddly enough a good starter VN for anyone who can tolerate the material, because it's has a very strong impact on the reader (who is unlikely to have encountered the combination of music, sfx voice, and text)

One thing I've noticed about VNs as a genre is that there are extremely few fantasy novels. Also, the premise of a self-insert character/wish-fufillment oddly, seems to be uniquely a LN feature.

Rumors abound of a legendary "Deity" status that awaits those who complete more than 1500 VNs.  Many have strived for this status, but typically end up succumbing to real-life obligations, waning interest in the hobby, or the most dreaded of them all: erectile dysfunction.

There are already very few people who went to 1500 anime, so 1500 VNs is kinda hard to imagine lol. LoSs is probably the english-speaking person who played the most VNs and he's only at 800 or something.

Tbh, english-speaking people who played 100+ titles are already very rare...