Conditions of play (trying to sound all academic X'D)

InvertMouse

So I moved houses recently, and I am liking my new room quite a bit. That large window beside my bed lets the moonlight peer into my room, so even with the lights switched off, I can still see a little bit. Moving houses also gave me a chance to get rid of all my clutter, and I got a new laptop and mattress along the way. Ready for some relaxation, basically.

Last night, I snuggled into bed, flipped off the lights and read a bit of Fragments’ Notes on the iPad. Is this a game everyone in the community is going on and on about? Maybe not, but I enjoyed the read before I dozed off for the night, because I found the environment so relaxing.

That made me think, setting up the ideal reading environment can help quite a bit. Locking that door so you can maybe do some embarrassing roleplay. If there is something you have always wanted to try out, why not put yourself in a space where you can do so?

On the flip side, if someone barged into your room after every other sentence, you might have a hard time enjoying any game. For handheld games, I tend to play them when I commute, which is fine and all, but that sun keeps glaring off my screen, making it hard to see. Little things like that can spoil an experience.

I wanted to ask if you folks have any creative setups for VN reading? If not right now, maybe some ideas we can potentially try out? Perhaps putting yourself into a position where you can play the music nice and loud without getting yelled at. Just the idea of testing out something different could be enough to make you smile a little more. I prefer to game alone, but other people might want to try and set up a reading group, for example. One time, I heard a workmate talking about how he loved to watch films at home with some red wine. We could do the same, possibly.

My other question is, got any iPad VNs to recommend? Or maybe just some games. Sorry for potentially derailing the chat.

Thanks for putting up with these rambling thoughts. Really hope to read about yours :D.

I'm pretty uncreative when it comes to how I read VNs.  Door shut and locked, headphones on, window shut and blinds down (my neighbors can see right into my room if I don't, since our houses are connected via the roofs and garages), crappy light in my closet on so I can see, pillow on my chair, and if it's early in the morning or late at night, I shift my pillow to the right side of my chair and slouch like hell so I can pull my blankets over my lower body and get nice and warm.  I generally don't eat or drink things when I read VNs, since I hate auto mode and not having a free hand to mash Enter or LMB with.

(Talks with a deep British accent) Well, my dear friend, first I select a single game from my expansive library of visual novels on my desktop. Preferably one I have yet to complete. After deciding which one to partake in I close my door to my room, then lock it. After making sure that my window in my room is covered up, I then go into my secret safe, located behind a painting of Mayuzumi Yukie, and pull out a 32 oz. bottle of lotion. I then boot up the visual novel, go to the harem route and wank like no tomorrow.

in all seriousness though, i just lock my door, or make sure to boot up another game in the background, or open a youtube video and if someone comes in just hit control to minimize the vn.

EDIT: Not control but the windows button.

in all seriousness though, i just lock my door, or make sure to boot up another game in the background, or open a youtube video and if someone comes in just hit control to minimize the vn.

EDIT: Not control but the windows button.

I play VN at school and I don't give a damn about people looking at me like an alien :D

I play VN at school and I don't give a damn about people looking at me like an alien :D

Excuse me, did you drop these? Because based on your post I'm guessing they're yours:

uVxE51D.jpguVxE51D.jpg

It's a "huge balls" joke, in case you didn't get it

I don't really care how I play VNs, as long as there's no chance someone will be able to look at my screen without giving me a second or two to react (I alt-tab because I make a point of turning off the windows key on every PC I own, fuck the windows key). Back seat of the bus, library seat with my back facing the wall, in my room, etc.

Doesn't really matter. I played through Tsukihime and Fate/stay night on my phone during the long commuting hours to and from university. And I don't like wearing earplugs so it was on mute the whole time and I still enjoyed the visual novel. Maybe more so because I hate shirou's character voice.

I don't have any specific conditions for playing Novels. I might read them with other people in the room if they are all-ages and if not, I just alt+tab really fast to avoid scandals or just play them when I'm alone and nobody else is awake. I read with headphones on, but I do everything with them on so I don't think it counts.

I'm pretty uncreative when it comes to how I read VNs.  Door shut and locked, headphones on, window shut and blinds down (my neighbors can see right into my room if I don't, since our houses are connected via the roofs and garages), crappy light in my closet on so I can see, pillow on my chair, and if it's early in the morning or late at night, I shift my pillow to the right side of my chair and slouch like hell so I can pull my blankets over my lower body and get nice and warm.  I generally don't eat or drink things when I read VNs, since I hate auto mode and not having a free hand to mash Enter or LMB with.

^

This is legit how I do things too :P