Time travel, universe jumping, and all media related to it.

colekitt

Well I think it's about time that we have this thread seeing as no one else will talk about it with me. This thread will be devoted to media and theories relevant to time travel. I'm obviously including jumping to a parallel universe that is on a different point in the timeline, although this would be slightly different from time travel the possibility that there is another universe that was created after ours but contains the exact same people and rules exists. Well I think for the most part we'll just be complaining about how bad movies or anime did with time travel, but even still I at least hope we get one person from the future. I highly recommend the girl who lept through time, it's an example of a movie that did horribly with the science of time travel but is still good just so that we can actually get some posts here you might as well tell us about any media that you liked including time travel. Now I wait for this to become the most popular thread out there, then we'll get famous scientists here and they will discover time travel and I will be recognized as the person who brought together the scientists that made time travel possible.

I'll be the fucking downer and claim that time travel isn't possible. For one simple reason.... there are no people (or evidence of people) from the future, now in the present.

...and even if it was possible, a civilization that managed to develop an energy source and the required tech for a time machine wouldn't dare use it. Why would they risk ruining their utopia?

I'll be the fucking downer and claim that time travel isn't possible. For one simple reason.... there are no people (or evidence of people) from the future, now in the present.

Well to be fair if time travel was possible people wouldn't be too eager to show the people from the past, it could create a paradox. If say the person who invented a time machine were to go back in time and everyone found out about it then the version from the past might have a different life and not be capable of creating the machine so he would never have gone back in the first place. Just because their is no evidence of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, the same could be said for all religions yet billions of people still believe in those.

...and even if it was possible, a civilization that managed to develop an energy source and the required tech for a time machine wouldn't dare use it. Why would they risk ruining their utopia?

Well that would make sense in theory but what about the nuclear bombs dropped on Japan in WWII if Japan had developed nuclear bombs and retaliated with them it would have started a war the likes of which have never been seen. Yet America decided to use such an advanced and dangerous technology it's safe to assume if presented with the same choice again only with time travel they'll make the same stupid decision.

Time travel requires you to solve the issue of breaching causality, and for that you need at least two parallel universes. Any fiction that tiptoe around that with "If I'm not seen then it's okay" is getting it wrong since there's more or less no way you're not breaching causality by time traveling. And it doesn't really matter, to be honest, since it's for the sake of fiction.

Well to be fair if time travel was possible people wouldn't be too eager to show the people from the past, it could create a paradox. If say the person who invented a time machine were to go back in time and everyone found out about it then the version from the past might have a different life and not be capable of creating the machine so he would never have gone back in the first place. Just because their is no evidence of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, the same could be said for all religions yet billions of people still believe in those.

In fictional stories, generally, if someone go to the past and rewrite history, it's rewriten for every human being, thus, for example, if someone kils hitler in the past and Nazism don't rise, we won't remember Hitler and we'll live in a world where Hitler never came to power.

Thus, we won't remind the memories of the old world.

well when you traveling through time, you are adding yourself to the already existing you in the past. why? because the universal law says that matter cannot be created or destroyed out of nowhere. there are many ways to travel outside the jumping theory but requires heavy damage and thus people never use these theories.

1) rewinding/fast forward time - its like staying still in one place and everyone is living in normal time but you can easy be killed as well. example: if a car crash in that spot you might die from it or if the space was free but someone added a rock you become one with the rock (who knows what happens next).

2) pause time - not many know this but when you pause time, you also pause yourself because you are not prepared to even enter that part of the universe (so it never works, even though it did work). if you did prepared then you going to have a hard time in that place since 3 things can hurt you. (A) the air is pause when you enter that universe so everything is like space. (B) if even you got past the air breathing part, the air modules cant be moved there too many and that means you cant move. © even if you got air and movement, you will never be able to see anything, light cant travel faster than time and pausing time will make light into complete darkness (also its cold in that world, you could die from the cold).

3) Paradox - if you killed your own parents and prevent them from giving birth to you, that means you will still exist with all the memories and so forth. why? because of the universal law that matter cant be created or destroyed. the bad news would be that when you travel back to your own timeline you will be known has nobody, even the government doesn't know you, the person who hire you won't know you. (A) if you use paradox to tell the past you on what the winning lottery are that means you will win them, however what happens next is confusing like if you did win the lottery that means you could stop building the time machine but the future you is coming back that only means two of you are added in the universe. (B) this never been proven but if past you and future you touch each other, it can mean an explosion of a size of a super nova.

thats how time traveling works, i have research time traveling for my whole life and i know everything about it.

my list that go with what i say:

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

red vs blue seasons 1 through 3

Steins;Gate

DBZ

Mirai Nikki (you wont understand it at first but soon you will)

That isn't what I mean by "evidence", if someone shot hittler wouldn't there be records of the murder of a art student by the hands of a person that oddly has no documentation on who he is? Perhaps someone with clothing and a weapon of unidentifiable origin?

The new universe will simply think that this person was a part of the world, and will never think that Hitler was killed by a time traveler.

If you remember well from steins;gate, every time you go to another world line, the old reality was forgotten and the people's memory rewriten.

That isn't what I mean by "evidence", if someone shot hittler wouldn't there be records of the murder of a art student by the hands of a person that oddly has no documentation on who he is? Perhaps someone with clothing and a weapon of unidentifiable origin?

Well there are how many school shootings in a year for all we know there was someone among them who was going to do great but terrible things in the future. And was stupidly killed altering the timeline and we are all living out the outcome of a world without that person. Just because people are killed doesn't mean they get world recognition.

Going forward and backwards in time is entirely possible, Einstein's General Relativity shows us that it's possible, and many of its effects have been verified to exist, time dilation for one. Time moves at different speeds for different frames of reference, so to "time travel," you just need to be in a different frame of reference to those you want to interact with. That only works for going forwards though, we have no ideas on how to go backwards, but it's still "time travel" I suppose.

Also, ChuShingura 46+1. I'm reading it now and it's all time travel, and when the protag dies he goes back to day 1.

I love this!

The concept of altering histories are what I love in stories when it comes to plots.

I'm afraid of spoiling by displaying my all-time favourite games that induces such a concept, so I'll put a spoiler tag:

YU-NO and Chrono Trigger are among my favourite games of all time for referring to time travel or parallel universe. The next spoiler tag are games that are more secretive about the concept, which is not much in the synopsis but part of the discovery and shocking value for when the player arrives at a point in the game:

The Zero Escape Series and Steins;Gate. They're also in my top list.

Does anyone know any other games related to the genre of Time Travel and Universe Jumping? It's the reason I'm here right now, seeking out other gems that like to experiment with those concepts.

As a long-term fan of the movie "Back to the Future", the idea of time travel has been carving me over the years into becoming a scientist (which I'm not yet, but hoping to be in the near future). It has influenced me into wanting to know more about the flow of time and the universe. Experimenting with and experiencing any fictional work of that kind can change a person's life. Well, it did for me, it's as if one's life can change completely after reading a very good book and you end up contemplating on what you have read for the next few days. It's the kind of feeling I always have when it comes to that kind of media.

Such epic stories make us wonder and make us ask questions, the right kind of questions that can be innovating and make us curious enough to be proactive and that's when we become one of the people who's capable of shaping the world.

There's a PC game called "cryostasis : the sleep of reason" who deals with "time travel" in a psychic and a mystic way.

It looks too good for my computer but there is this 3DS game that may or may not deal with parallel universes called bravely default.

I had completely forgotten about it till now but I believe that telltale released a back to the future game. If you have ever seen or played a telltale game you should know how it's played but I do recall it being pretty good.

• 3 weeks later...

ill just say that the amount of unsolved cases a year of homicide is staggering and not in just third world nations . even here in the usa we have a huge number of cases that are never solved and no one is ever arrested. http://anepigone.blogspot.com/2013/01/rates-of-unsolved-murder-by-state.html have some slightly out of date stats.