2014 Japan copyright infringement law shutting down sites

Emries

As some of you may have noticed, several manga sites and anime sites are starting to be shut down. Just today, gogoanime, a particularly large anime streaming site, was shut down in one day after receiving a subpoena from Japan. Here is the list of sites being hit and sent court summons. Unfortunately, Nyaa and Batoto included. The list starts on page 11.

http://www.meti.go.jp/policy/mono_info_service/contents/downloadfiles/140414.pdf

Also, for some reasons, Little Caesar is included as number 24. No wonder their pizza tastes like cardboard; there were manga in them XD

This is a bit of a pain as I literally cannot legally watch most anime due to Crunchyroll etc. not having anything in my country.

I highly doubt they'll be able to bring down nyaa though as that site is focused on piracy and thus, like TPB, probably has some sort of countermeasure against this.

Not to mention that when a site gets shut down, it will be replaced soon after.

This is a bit of a pain as I literally cannot legally watch most anime due to Crunchyroll etc. not having anything in my country.

I highly doubt they'll be able to bring down nyaa though as that site is focused on piracy and thus, like TPB, probably has some sort of countermeasure against this.

Not to mention that when a site gets shut down, it will be replaced soon after.

You can bypass Crunchyrolls country limitations by using some form of proxy.

Doing something like that is pointless,

1.)they can't shut down every site on the list (Youtube, Piratbay XD as if they care)

2.) shutting down a few hundret sites is nothing compared to the number of existing site (I made myself a list of all sites I found when this was announced, more than 1400)

3) There'll just be new sites

I like how they quote an estimated 20 billion lost each year because half of the US using these sites. Let's face it; that's probably an imaginary 19.5 billion because most of the people who do use those sites probably can't read Japanese and wouldn't buy in due to that reason :P

The report you linked is from last year. They've already been sending DMCA and stuff since then, including nyaa & co. They might have managed to shut down some sites recently but there's nothing really new in all of that since they've been active for a year already.

I like how they quote an estimated 20 billion lost each year because half of the US using these sites. Let's face it; that's probably an imaginary 19.5 billion because most of the people who do use those sites probably can't read Japanese and wouldn't buy in due to that reason :P

They're probably also calculate with the same price as it is in japan.

Ha, I can  name several sites they've missed...er, not that I use any of those sites or anything :nervous::paranoid:

I have a list of more than 1000 they missed, some of them are almost as big as kissanime and I'm sure there are many more.

isn't the problem with most free VPN and Proxy services that they are insanely slow?

You could also use the firefox plugin Hola Unblocker, it works fine on alosmt every region restricted site, not problem with watching videos.

The original takedown information might be from last year, but a lot of sites were hit just this week, so the original post is indeed right. The problem lies indeed with content with international licenses than just with Japanese copyrights being infringed, it's the countries with a lot more money on the line that are causing the "problem" - they're not wrong, they're just dicks about it.

They did a DDOS attack on Nyaa in October.  However, it came back up... eventually.  To be blunt, those sites probably just didn't have the resources to rebuild after getting hit or they were silly enough to be based in countries that actually enforce copyright laws on foreign entertainment that hasn't been licensed.

*Copy and paste from Skype*

Well, if you're doing illegal stuff then you can't expect the world to accomodate you in your practice. It used to be if you were doing illegal stuff you expected to have to work at it a little to get your goods, but kids these days want the process to be free AND easy. What a weird world :P

I'll be ecstatic if every anime or manga site gets closed down, and people who want free stuff have to use the darknet. It won't stop piracy, but it will force those who want free goodies to have to work at it a bit. Work is good for the soul, you know.

This point of view is the proud product of Rooke's grumpy old man thinkings. 

Most of the sites in the list are still alive. I know some get shutdown because of their owner's own will (they were just afraid of being charged).

And my school's wifi started blocking Nyaa from last week <_<

It won't stop piracy, but it will force those who want free goodies to have to work at it a bit.

Including you :lol:

*Copy and paste from Skype*

Well, if you're doing illegal stuff then you can't expect the world to accomodate you in your practice. It used to be if you were doing illegal stuff you expected to have to work at it a little to get your goods, but kids these days want the process to be free AND easy. What a weird world :P

I'll be ecstatic if every anime or manga site gets closed down, and people who want free stuff have to use the darknet. It won't stop piracy, but it will force those who want free goodies to have to work at it a bit. Work is good for the soul, you know.

This point of view is the proud product of Rooke's grumpy old man thinkings. 

While a lot is indeed to get it for free and without "work" it doesn't mean it's everything like that. Specially when it comes to anime/manga. You can't simply find it anywhere, it's hard to get those stuff out of japan, depending on the country it will be harder or easier. Even if you can buy from the internet not everyone is able to do so even if they work and are "honest" people. The main problem here, is that the piracy about this exists mainly to reach more people that it would not reach.

I'm not against piracy, but I'm not in favour as well. You just need to put yourself in both places. But in this case, if they're planning on taking everything down alot of people won't have access to those stuff that easily and I'm not talking about money or work in here.

BTW I'm talking about self experience, just until last week there was no possible way for me to get manga/anime legally. And even now it's not certain I can have what I want... I can't buy from the internet because my debit card only works in my country and doesn't allow international transferences and all the stores in my country need to be in person or me going to pick it up there and that's not a reliable way for me. I could probably watch in some site legally (crunchyroll maybe, never really checked it) but with my current internet I can't. I just can't way too slow, I would need to download the stuff from my cousin's net so I could watch it at home, but that's not possible without piracy.

What I'm trying to say is that piracy got pros and cons, so I can't really defend it but I can't be against it. If most things would be cheaper and/or more easily accessed around the world then piracy would not be needed. Just sayin'. kthxbai

Most of the sites in the list are still alive. I know some get shutdown because of their owner's own will (they were just afraid of being charged).

And my school's wifi started blocking Nyaa from last week <_<

Including you :lol:

Yeah most of the sites are still alive, but it seemed like a Lot of activity suddenly happened this week with several sites being shut down at the same time due to receiving subpoenas. Might be some momentum in this subject, or just a sudden surge - we'll see. I wouldn't fault the owner being afraid of being charged though - getting a court summon in the mail when you're supposedly anonymous is kinda surprising :P

kind of sad to see gogoanime go offline, i used to use it a lot, now i download just about everything from horrible subs.

And before we get into the copyright/ pirate lecture let me inform you of this:

1. I live in holland

2. this means i cant watch everything from crunchytroll

3. if i want to watch everything without ad i would need to pay

4. Paying the full pound for something wile not getting acces so everything is a ripoff!

5. I am Dutch, so I am stingy

6. I will not willingy and knowngly let myself get ripped off!

that about sums it up, nice and rude. :wahaha: