Romance with a happy ending?

CapnBlaze

Greetings all - new here to the forum and it looks like an awesome community!

Before I get flamed for this post, yes I saw the pinned thread containing a title of the same name - that is in large part what is prompting this post.

My question is in part about one of the items listed there - Da Capo

I've been reading the comments on some site and a number of posts comment on how a lot of routes made people cry.

I recently finished the first of the Muv Luv trilogy ....

While I LOVED the characters and most of the plots,

all the endings were bittersweet with at least one person being devastated, broken hearted, and having their dreams shattered! It was all so well done that I was an emotional mess for a week afterwards! Thank God I read posts about the rest of the trilogy. Even just reading the brief messages about them was heart rending!

I have no desire to repeat that - ever! 

Before I read it, I would be most appreciative of any feedback about Da Capo specifically and other recommendations where the VN is truly a happy ending. Thank you!

Thank you Astro. Are there any recommendations of what I'm looking for?

I am looking for a romance component, prefer adult themed for at least some portion, and while I don't mind some drama in the middle, everything needs to work out happily in the end. No one devastated or emotionally scarred for life.

There's no helping if someone get hurts while the other is happy to be with their loved one right?

Have you tried Amagami?

Edit:

You could also try Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu, Princess Lover! (not the OVA right?). I couldn't think of anything interesting which doesn't involve someone to get hurt or someone to be rejected painfully.

There's no helping if someone get hurts while the other is happy to be with their loved one right?

Have you tried Amagami?

Edit:

You could also try Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu, Princess Lover! (not the OVA right?). I couldn't think of anything interesting which doesn't involve someone to get hurt or someone to be rejected painfully.

Thanks for responding FW. I have not read the ones you mentioned and wiil look into them.

I was hoping there might be VN simply about people falling in love. There are many compelling tales (outside the VN world) that don't involve love triangles (or quadrangles, etc). Also I would think stories can be made where the paths not followed just mean those people don't fall in love - they could even still all be good friends. I don't believe a story has to end with.someone being left in pain. Also please don't misunderstand me, I am not saying there shouldn't be difficulties faced - just that everything works out ok in the end. I just don't know if there are VN like that.

EDIT: Just looked into your suggestions. Princess Lover looks perfect if it can be found in English (or patched). Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu also looks very good  - just wish it went a little further than pg-13.

• Kono Oozora ni, Tsubasa wo Hirogete
  • Hoshizora no Memoria

^Lighthearted romance

Others:

• Steins;Gate (TRUE ending)
  • Grisaia no Kajitsu (Warning: there ARE bad endings that are emotional-scarred-for-life tier; use a walkthrough to get the good endings when the end game choices come :P)

IF we are talking about VN's, you could also try G-senjou no Maou (beware of the bad endings) especially  Usami route.

You could also try Hoshizora no Memoria and Shinigami no Kiss wa Wakare no Aji. They're also good.

Majikoi is also good but unfortunately, only partial patch is out.

I'm just going to second some of the other opinions here. Probably two of the best romantic VN's with happy endings that I can think of are G-senjou no Maou and Grisaia no Kajitsu. Even then the happy endings can be real tear jerkers. Be prepared to shed manly tears. Haru's route from GsnM and Sachi's route from GnK stand out as endings that are really happy (particularly Sachi's) but make your face explode with wetness.

Edit: I don't consider Steins;Gate to be a romance VN - Do you guys? 

I'm really surprised what are y'all going to sell as a romantic VN :blink:

- Grisaia no Kajitsu ?! Of course there are some romantic endings but inbetween it's mostly suffering and I don't know if the author of that thread wants that

- G-Senjou no Maou ?! (I only played a little till now) But i think it's the same as Grisaia

Pure romance, light hearted and happy endings???

- Kono Oozora ni, Tsubasa wo Hirogete -> Of course!

- Hoshizora no Memoria -> Maybe, the good endings were really happy

- Canvas 2 -> you can question the whole quality of the VN, but the endings mostly were really happy

- Deardrops -> In the end here also everyone was happy

It'd be easier to make a list of VNs for you to avoid... Any harem romance eroge is going to be filled with happy endings, usually there are sad bits thrown into certain endings because drama makes that non-main heroine's ending more interesting, but almost all of them end up happy.

If you want something really happy and go-lucky, I recommend Shuffle! There are no bad endings and the game has a funny and happy common route before getting into the drama of the chosen girl's individual route without getting overly dark.

I'm really surprised what are y'all going to sell as a romantic VN :blink:

- Grisaia no Kajitsu ?! Of course there are some romantic endings but inbetween it's mostly suffering and I don't know if the author of that thread wants that

- G-Senjou no Maou ?! (I only played a little till now) But i think it's the same as Grisaia

Pure romance, light hearted and happy endings???

- Kono Oozora ni, Tsubasa wo Hirogete -> Of course!

- Hoshizora no Memoria -> Maybe, the good endings were really happy

- Canvas 2 -> you can question the whole quality of the VN, but the endings mostly were really happy

- Deardrops -> In the end here also everyone was happy

Hmm, only problem I have is that out of those 4 I think I would only call "Deardrops" good and I'm not so sure Riho's ending is a happy one (perspective I guess)  :P The MoeNovel TL of Konosora is um... objectively pretty bad, but I would agree that the tone of it is pretty light hearted. 

Obviously most moeroge will have happy endings, but as you'd probably agree I wouldn't call most of it worth playing hahah  :lol:  

Hmm, only problem I have is that out of those 4 I think I would only call "Deardrops" good and I'm not so sure Riho's ending is a happy one (perspective I guess)  :P The MoeNovel TL of Konosora is um... objectively pretty bad, but I would agree that the tone of it is pretty light hearted. 

Obviously most moeroge will have happy endings, but as you'd probably agree I wouldn't call most of it worth playing hahah  :lol:  

All 4 of them were worth the time I spent on them. KonoSora is great if you can handle the translation (I could ;) ). HoshiMemo is also a great one. Canvas 2 may be not the same quality like the rest but If you like that kind of VN you'll also like Canvas 2.

Well, that's just for starters i guess. I did start playing on moe eroge until I tried G-senjou

Thats also not completely correct, sorry ;) ... There are people they just like to read and play stuff that make them feel good and who do not want to read sad things (myself included). There are enough sad and tragic things in this world so I don't want to have that also in a VN.

Thats also not completely correct, sorry ;) ... There are people they just like to read and play stuff that make them feel good and who do not want to read sad things (myself included). There are enough sad and tragic things in this world so I don't want to have that also in a VN.

First, I wanted to take a moment and thank everyone for the responses! It is very appreciated.

I quoted Ezee because he pretty much sums up my view too for the most part. Comedic stuff is great. I also don't mind drama and difficulties/sad bits - it can make for a great story. I just need for everything to work out in the end. Muv Luv being an example of superb story telling that is ruined for me by

the amount of heartbreak

in pretty much every single ending of every single path.

@ jjm152  I have no shame in shedding manly tears   :)  As long as they are happy ones.

I just previewed Shinigami no Kiss wa Wakare no Aji and I am going to give that one a shot. The shuffle one also looked promising! I'll post here when I'm done in case anyone is interested/cares for my mini-review/opinion.

Does anyone know if Fate/stay Night works out OK? Given how much the site is talking about the translation project I am curious to read it.

Thank you again everyone! Feel free to keep posting suggestions! I am interested.

REVIEW from the Happy Ending perspective: Shinigami no Kiss wa Wakare no Aji

This will be spoiler heavy so I am putting a tag on the whole thing. It makes it easier to read overall.

The game has 3 paths you can take. The one 'true' path is only unlocked after completing the first two. I started with Honoka and it seemed it was practically everything you could wish for. Make sure you view the scene after the credits. Although her best friend Rin is carrying a major torch for the main character, Makoto, I never really identified with Rin or felt overly sympathetic to her in terms of her losing out to Honoko.  Honoko is kind and wonderful, passionate in private without being slutty, and it was (at first) a wholly satisfying read. 

The next path I followed was Shizuku. She is his non-blood related sister. I am not into incest but since it was not blood related I could sort of over look it - although there were frequent times they really pushed the brother/sister thing in your face. I found it a bit over done in that regard especially as both have a good moral center and I felt their characters would actually be stressing the fact they were not blood related much more to give them moral grounds to stand on. I also found the scene where they start their physical relationship a bit forced - it just didn't flow right for me. Even with that it was mostly satisfying (at first) from a romance perspective. Although it left me feeling a little, but not too, bad about Honoka being left high and dry. Also there was a disturbing dream scene about the lost love Hiyori (she died when Makoto was a child), but I was able to write that off .... at first.

The final path was the 'true' path. Kohaku (aka Hiyori as it later turns out). I am really not into lolicon and it was very hard for me to overlook that - even with her body being a supernaturally constructed Shingami one. To be honest it was not even necessary to the storyline to make her that young - in fact it would have made more sense for her body to be same age as Makoto. The thing is this story line reveals the whole background and totally destroyed any happiness for the first two paths. Hiyori in essence gets abandoned by her true love if either of those paths were followed And not just abandoned, herr heart is lost and her existence is a Shingami one of death and coldness (the cold part is referenced multiple times through all 3 paths - but it is not until the Kahaku path that it is revealed what is meant). While the writers did a decent job sugar coating it, at the core it is a very bitter pill if either of the first paths were to have happened. And even with the true path, while it is technically a happy ending - it was done in a way that left me unsatisfied. It was not only ham handed in the way it was handled (very Deus Ex Machina) but it was esoteric leaving what happened vague, undefined, and unsatisfying no matter how it's interpreted. Was all the bad stuff a dream? A different reality (in which case everyone left behind is devastated - even with him being able to do a final day of farewell)? Time travel where Hiyori and Makoto never died (somewhat better interpretation but still not entirely satisfying as you are left in their younger 5 year old bodies and how everything is now rewritten for the other characters is left to the imagination)?

Summary: I would not recommend this for people looking for a strictly happy ending even though all three paths are technically happy ones.

On the good side, I did love the layering and complexity that is revealed through following the different paths. The writing for the most part is well done - I am not ashamed to say I laughed and also shed a few tears.I enjoyed the art work (although there could have been a little bit more variation) and most of the voice acting. It also deserves mentioning they did a superb job in making the three paths individual - you are not reading a copy/paste of the exact same thing you already read previously in the other paths with just a few new bits tacked on.

Edit: If anyone appreciates the above review please give it a like or post a quick note so I know. If there are those that appreciate it, I will continue to post them. Thanks!

Does anyone know if Fate/stay Night works out OK? Given how much the site is talking about the translation project I am curious to read it.

The Fate scenario and Heaven's Feel Normal ending are bittersweet type endings, both  UBW's endings and Heaven's Feel True ending are ones where things work out well enough for the central characters.

REVIEW from the Happy Ending perspective: Shuffle!

OK I just finished Shuffle  - here is my review and thoughts for those who are interested.

The bitter in the bittersweet of this is very low. I would include this on the list for people looking to avoid bitter VNs – in part because I have only found one VN without any bitter (neko para - It was the first vn I ever read (if you don't count games). I didn't review it here because I read it before arriving to this forum. If I get a request I will give it a review).

•   My feelings on Shuffle were mixed. There were many elements I truly loved. It feels like it started very strong with some awesome thoughts, potential, and possibilities of intertwining stories. And then it feels like part way through interest was lost in the project and there was a rush to finish it and check off boxes of what kind of eroge content to include.

I really liked Kaede and Asa’s storylines – although Asa had elements that felt unfinished to me. Primula was also excellent but I downgrade it because not only is it lolicon (which I really don’t like), it was totally forced lolicon – she is only one year younger than Rin so why the heck did she need to be pre-pubescent? (in answer to my own question it is probably an attempt to give the ‘thrill’ of lolicon without the guilt. In fairness they do explain it as she is an unaging homunculus – just like Asa’s mother. It still struck me as contrived and unnecessary though)

I found Nerine's path to be particularly bad. It felt forced or ‘not right’ in many places. One example of many is when Rin and Nerine are losing their virginity together by him slamming her from behind. He is a caring romantic type and while I have no issue with them trying that out at a later point – it just really did not fit him (or her for that matter) for that to be their first time with each other let alone first time ever.

Other things that I didn’t care for were:
    • Numerous unaddressed logical issues such as in the Asa storyline - there is an eroge scene in the infirmary while ignoring that there would be a nurse there. 
    • There were also a number of instances to where the text did not match what was going on in the scene – one example is saying Rin pulls down a bra and the picture shows it being pulled up. Or saying that he is looking at a pulled down top while the picture shows him in a 69 position looking at her underwear.
    • While I liked Sia’s plot twist and most of the path, both her and Nerine’s path seemed to not logically mesh with the rest of the story arcs – they are in love with him and intending to marry him no matter what. But in their paths they don’t really follow that through
    • The music was ok but it loops in a jarring and distracting way – it repeatedly distracted me from the story.
    • Outside the Nerine and Sia story arc there are numerous references to polygamy being allowed in the world of the gods. I was expecting at least one story arc with a happy end for all with the characters together as sister wives. Didn't happen and wasn't even addressed. In fact it's left as an open question as to what happens with Kareha in the Asa story arc
    • While this seems to be common in VNs it still bothers me that a male character is able to have multiple orgasms with 0 recovery time in between
    • I don't know how much of this is a translation issue vs a scripting issue but some of the word choices were questionable for me. For example, when writing a romantic, loving scene I would not include the term 'slimy'. While I have no issues with being graphic and realistic, other terms without negative connotations could be picked to denote similar concepts. I also could have done without being told he could taste urine.
    • As long as I am talking about scripting, I would have been happy to have done without the peeing scene in the middle of a romantic part. Although I will admit the joke at the end of it was funny.

Summary: Overall I am happy I read the VN. While I have many issues with this VN I think the pros outweigh the cons (just barely – but they do).

note: if you would like to see more reviews like this please post a note or give this post a like.