September's Crazy Idea!

Tay

(Image Removed)

I have a big announcement, but I'm not going to outright tell you what it is!
Click on the above image to download a windows version of the announcement!
(Link Removed)

15 minutes to finish (and only if you read slowly!)!

Only takes 16 MB!

No Install -- Delete When You're Done!

Magic, Adventure, Romance (not really)!

A big announcement at the end!

Please download and play!

The original post is preserved here:

You know how a lot of discussion in the volunteer boards has been circulating about making a "What are Visual Novels" video for the site?

What if--and I know this is crazy--we made a "What are Visual Novels" VISUAL NOVEL!?!? Using something like Ren'Py!

We could keep it ~25 MB, and different users could write the different sections. In the game itself we could use their avatars or selected images as the narrator of their section!

What are your thoughts?

PS: I suggest Ren'Py because I've used it before and have a decent grasp on how to use it. Any ideas are up for discussion, tho : )

Edited by Tay

pffft, it actually sounds pretty fun (: i wouldn't mind helping with sprites and cgs + programming (i've made games with it before)

i still think a video would be..better? because it'd be something they'd just click and watch and it's a format they're more used to, also they wouldn't have to download it.

just imo, because i have tried to get a couple of my friends to play VNs and the only way of really introducing them would be for them to play it, but when i told them they had to download stuff they were just like 'haha lol too much work' :/

maybe it should just be another option instead of the vid, y'know, for the cool people who are interested after watching the vid and actually want to try reading in that format but aren't too comfortable downloading a huge game,patching it, etc??

meh xD

I completely agree. I think a video is absolutely necessary. The *possible* VN would be something "additional" for "hands on" learning. We could even do it in story form.

Edited by Tay

As much as I've become unhealthily obsessed with perfecting that blasted video I still think this is something I wouldn't mind getting my teeth into~

Like everyone said it's definitely gonna be an "advanced" sorta thing - not really aimed at absolute beginners - but I think it will be a pretty neat way of tackling some of the finer points of the issue in lighthearted way. We could iron out things like what we love about them, make recommendations, debate our views on H-scenes, or even flesh out the implications of copyright law. Might even throw in a segment where I argue against everyone else my crazy ideas against categorization and terminology :lol: If we have a good artist who can churn out some good chibi art, it's something I can imagine happening~

So yeah, keep me posted!

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT! PLEASE SCROLL UP TO THE FIRST POST IN THIS THREAD TO LEARN MORE!

DOWNLOAD AND PLAY THE ANNOUNCEMENT!

Takes 15 minutes to finish (if you read slowly)!

No Install!

Total of 16MB!

Delete when you're done!

Some updated thought about the announcement (if you haven't played my announcement, please do so! Scroll up to the top of this topic to find it!):

After some talk on IRC I got to thinking about how the best way to get introduced to Visual Novels is through a good visual novel (VDZServer's words). My mini-story used to announce my decision to produce a visual novel may have been a little misleading.

I don't think writing a story-based VN will be at all successful at introducing people to the medium. Instead, I think it might be fun to make a VN where the characters are users on these forums and we:

• have a FAQ section where different people's characters answer common questions
  • tell about our first/favorite VNs and make suggestions on where to start
  • give suggestions of which games to go to after you finish an entry-VN
  • and whatever else we think could be helpful

It's not intended to change the world or be a super-VN.... but I think it would be fun to have different fuwanovel users as characters who answer Qs and give suggestions, etc :). A little fuwanovel community in a VN.

I HAS PLOT IDEA~

It later transpires that the heores' only hope of defeating demon lord Harry Kinomoto is by securing the sacred trinity of love, tolerance and [pink]encouragement[/pink], Endor later informs them that the best way to harness these mystical energies is through ancient texts known only to the world as "Visual Novels". Doing so, however, was no easy task, and fraught with dangers like the retardedness of some uber-dense protags, the remarkably suspect intent of some very handsome bishounen, the dangerously misplaced romantic intentions of some absurdly-affectionate little sisters, countless hordes of angry anons screaming something about "Mai Waifu" or "Husbando", and even the occasional chainsaw-wielding yandere.

However, our heroes prove successful, and with their newfound powers manage to defeat the demon lord . However, just as Harry Kinomoto begins to fade away, he deals the duo a mortal blow that scatters their VN-acquired powers all around the globe. He then turns to Sakura, looks her straight in the eye, and speaks the following words:

You have done well, but now another needs your aid. Seek out the Martyr who goes by name Aaeru, and together with her army recapture the powers of the sacred trinity that is rightfully yours. Now GO, my daughter, and show unto the world the light that VNs are destined to bring!!!

...and then the demon lord turns into a pink staff that floats gracefully into Sakura's hand.

DO IT, hero. I dare you; no - triple dare you~~~ :ph34r: