Eden* They Were Only Two, On The Planet [Review - spoiler free]

Nyanko

I recently finished Eden* and since the translation will probably be out not too long from now (Eden* - Fully translated and edited), I wrote a review for it. I also noticed a lot of people tried and really enjoyed Planetarian when it got released on Steam. I felt Eden* is similar, so it might be interesting!  ^_^

Eden* is a small kinetic novel written by Kagami Yū (also known from ef: A Fairy Tale of the Two) and published by minori. Eden* got released as all-ages together with an 18+ patch under the name of eden* PLUS+MOSAIC. I read the all-ages version so I can’t say anything about H-scene quality or other differences in CGs. Both versions are being translated at the moment by MangaGamer, so there will be an English patch available soon. If I had to compare Eden* to other VNs, Narcissu and Planetarian come to mind. So if you enjoyed one of them, you should check this out.

This review is spoiler free.    Eden* Review

I didn't like Narcissu or Planetarian one bit, but this is minori we're talking about! Not being hyped for eden* is out of the question. Nice review, by the way.

I'm worried about the 18+ version though. Since this is a linear plot game with several heroines, it will probably involve sleeping around with no consequence. I hated Kamidori because of it.

Good review! Unfortunately, some might take this like spam, even if it's not. Could you post a quick summary here for us? (First paragraph maybe?)

No we won't take this as spam ^^'

Nethertheless, it's nice seeing more and more member reviews here.

Just a question, is this a spoiler free review ?

Good review! Unfortunately, some might take this like spam, even if it's not. Could you post a quick summary here for us? (First paragraph maybe?)

Thank you :)  And sure, I'll add the first part of the review.

No we won't take this as spam ^^'

Nethertheless, it's nice seeing more and more member reviews here.

Just a question, is this a spoiler free review ?

Yes, it's spoiler free 

Thanks!

Quick question, since I can't remember if you mentioned it or not. How many hours did you clock with Eden?

I'm a slow reader in general, so Japanese is even worse. It took me ~13 hours. This means you should be able to finish it in <10 hours. 

I didn't like Narcissu or Planetarian one bit, but this is minori we're talking about! Not being hyped for eden* is out of the question. Nice review, by the way.

I'm worried about the 18+ version though. Since this is a linear plot game with several heroines, it will probably involve sleeping around with no consequence. I hated Kamidori because of it.

I also really wonder what they did with the 18+ version. I really wonder if they just put in 1 scene for every heroine.. or just picked a few that would fit the best 

Yes, it's spoiler free 

It was written right at the 5th line of the review ._. stupid me

Nice review, if it's a short game I might read it since I loved Planetarian.

This is one of my personal favorites. I noted in my review that Eden is a classical contrast to visual novels that open with complex settings and intricate character relationships, but fail to close, leaving holes, needless infodumping, and wasted potential that couldn’t be exploited to begin with. Eden offers a simple and predictable plot that leaves just enough time to develop its small but focused set of rather mature characters. No random twists, miracles, drama, deus ex machine whatnot, those who should die, die, and vice versa.

Notable downsides are a journalist whose purpose is mostly fanservice and annoying eye blinking. Character art is mediocre, although the background CGs are beautiful. Sadly it’s getting translated I heard.

From what I have heard all the scenes (except maybe Sion's, don't remember) are accessed through a side menu and all (except maybe Sion's again) are non-canon dream stories. So they're just extras.

This is one of my personal favorites. I noted in my review that Eden is a classical contrast to visual novels that open with complex settings and intricate character relationships, but fail to close, leaving holes, needless infodumping, and wasted potential that couldn’t be exploited to begin with. Eden offers a simple and predictable plot that leaves just enough time to develop its small but focused set of rather mature characters. No random twists, miracles, drama, deus ex machine whatnot, those who should die, die, and vice versa.

Notable downsides are a journalist whose purpose is mostly fanservice and annoying eye blinking. Character art is mediocre, although the background CGs are beautiful. Sadly it’s getting translated I heard.

Yes,the journalist was annoying and completely out of place..