Grisaia no Kajitsu - Heroines routes analyses

Rose

6mYFByj.jpg

jTi7LYE.png

Initial considerations

I have a friend with whom I have a little game of exchanging analysis about great animes/mangas/novels/etc every once in a great while, I ended up doing it about Makina's Route of Grisaia no Kajitsu and I thought it would be cool to post it here since it's a forum specially about visual novels.

I talked to him a bit about the route so he had the general idea about her whole story, but have in mind while reading that he didn't actually play the game so the analysis ended up quite big since I had to summarize the route a bit.

After editing most all of the images, I forgot to save some of them as project files so there might be a few grammar/typing mistakes here and there, please ignore them.

This topic will contain heavy spoilers so if you intend to play the game/route or if you're currently playing, it might be wise for you to avoid reading this. However, feel free to read and discuss if you don't mind about spoilers, everyone is welcome. There will be only one image that is probably taken from either Grisaia no Meikyuu or Grisaia no Rakuen, not a big spoiler by any means but just to keep it in mind.

Summary

1. The Prodigy

2 . "You have officially leveled-up from onii-chan to papa"

3. Seed of the World Tree I

4. Seed of the World Tree II

5. Seed of the World Tree III

6. The civilians

7. The pariah

8. The victims

9. The soldiers

10. The martyr leader

11. The Messiah

12. The Fool

13. Temperance

14. Death

15. Decision

16. A "good" end (?)

The Prodigy

45WzRzn.jpg

One of the cicada sisters, blessed and cursed with slow aging genes (not a given info but pretty obvious), Irisu Makina is among the top routes in Grisaia no Kajitsu, the outstanding character development mixed with an amazing plot and speckled with relatively good and well-timed humor, make it second only to Amane’s route (based on statistics collected through forums).

Her first appearance shows something close to a super energetic kid, only to later become a super shy person. The first sign of her personality is actually shown here, despite looking like a retarded at first, she slowly demonstrates that she worries about being hated by Yuuji more than simply being afraid of him. Due to her background, she spent most of her childhood in a hospital and because of that, she didn't lived the life time when kids start copying adults habits to better adapt to the world, causing her to copy lots of traits from her classmates in Mihama, Yuuji's speaking style and Amane's kansai accent in special. Makina also consistently fails when trying to speak a few words, some examples would be “Clawfish”, “Aromanocaris, Alomanocaris and Anomacaris”, “Hageron Bubble”, the correct versions being respectively “Crawfish”, “Anomalocaris” and “Halogen Bulb”. Some small features by this point, however, it’s later revealed that they have more meaning than it’s shown.

Makina appearance follows the loli style of character, her small body and childish behavior gives even more power to this stereotype. However, what lies behind the cute little-sister lollita? The quote with most impact during the early stages of the novel by her is something pretty simple: “Mom hates me”, with this small one, Frontwing was able to get our curiosity on this little loli. What happened in her past? Does her mother truly hate her? The background who made her attend to Mihama, just how dark the roots of this girl’s damage are?

"You have officially leveled-up from onii-chan to papa"

A badly written email triggers the opening discussion of Makina’s Route. Yuuji is suddenly promoted from “onii-chan” to “papa”, the confusing meaning of those words bring both of them in a talk that teaches us a bit more about her.

A girl that has always been given everything, the best of the best in any material matter she could ever wish, is now in front of her fake onii-chan, asking him to become her “papa” and even offering money on top of that. We’re revealed a bit of her past, the death of her father and now how much she wishes for someone to replace the lost family. Yuuji is also a kid who lost his family really early, in this situation, could this little role-play truly bring any kind of joy to their hearts? On top of that, the doubts start rising on his head: Does he deserve something like a family? Is he strong enough to protect this new family?

Even while being concerned about that, something proves to be more worrisome than himself: Makina. The way she keeps throwing money at him and claiming every time to have more if the quantity ain’t enough for him, at the same time, she trembles in terror, fearing being rejected by the one she finally found qualified to fill the hole that was made in her heart. “What is right? What is wrong? Those are trivial meters, as long as you have money your problem should be no more”, that’s how she learned to solve her problems, no one ever had a reason to worry about teaching her about morals or ethics. Here you can either accept or reject the money.  If you reject: You’ll agree to play the role of a pseudo-Papa to try and agree to try to find out together with her what a family is, being free to go to the another route. If you accept: You’ll be entering her route.

Once you accept the money, she’ll entrust you with a check worth 70 million yen (something around 700,000,00 U.S dollars) and you’ll officially accept it and become her father. Yuuji is not the image of an ideal father in any possible way, but as a father, there’s one thing he was able to promise: “Even if everyone else in the world becomes your enemy, I’ll always protect you”. A girl who desired a father, who offered absolutely everything she had for that objective, and a boy who desired a purpose, who was willing to do anything to keep her safe, together in a journey  that could change the world.

Yuuji is not the image of an ideal father in any possible way,

but as a father, there’s one thing he was able to promise:

“Even if everyone else in the world becomes your enemy, I’ll always protect you”

Seed of The World Tree I

It didn’t took long until some “problems” started to appear in their lovey-dovey family role-play. The first minor one being Makina’s different perception of a normal father catching Yuuji by surprise when she forced a french kiss upon him, which ended being the first improvement in their family relationship, even if not exactly like expected, followed by classmates in shock due to the level up Yuuji got, him holding hands with Makina and his tsundere attitude, ending into a reunion to discuss about them.

Sometimes irritating, sometimes soothing. Might this be what familiar love is…?

This is what I need to protect. I feel like I’m starting to understand - not just the meaning of those words, but also the raw emotions they signify.

The greatest wall showed when JB was informed about the situation as she revelead that the Irisu are not simply a super-rich family, they’re extremely powerful and Makina was their eldest daughter although disowned. Her father death was also revealed as an accident caused to his existence posing a disadvantage to the national interests. To make things worse, both were connected to Ichigaya in a way. Yuuji’s company is definitely not a healthy one when it comes to people, even if by the time he didn’t cared too much (partially because of lack of solid information), it was already obvious that the darkness was already lurking their future, just like it did with their pasts.

Not long after that, Makina’s previous condition was revealed as a 24/7 stay in the hospital for a long time, adding some spice and right after that, mixed with sugar during an exercise scene. It’s a classic to add information that seems not that relevant and then drop something more easily remembered to drift away the reader’s attention, it’s kinda cheap but it gets the job done. Yuuji gets his hands on data regarding Makina and her family, a matriarchal family who came from a long time ago, tainted by corruption in large-scale. As a newcomer, Irisu Masataka (Makina’s father) wasn’t involved nor was informed about anything, however, the shocking truth of realizing his own participation made him try to bring everything to justice and ultimately lead him to the accident that took his life.

Makina who was considered a prodigy by the time, was kidnapped and her father was forced to head to a spot alone with a huge quantity of money in exchange for his daughter, in the end, he was shot down after the hands-off. The ruthless killers weren’t so kind to spare the under 10 years old kid, they left her there tied, watching as her father’s body decayed until she got rescued 6 days later. Severe mental trauma, two years in a completely uncommunicative state, one more to be able to answer yes or no, another one to put thoughts coherently into words and yet another one to get back the ability to express normal human emotions. A sister from another father, a prodigy talent used by the family only to get more cash, a father destroyed by the kindness in his heart, the trauma that locked her for years. The thoughts started to consume Yuuji’s mind and the soil is set in the seed tray.

The question finally rises:

lq5Dqim.jpg

“Can I really do something for Makina, like my master did for me?”

Seed of the World Tree II

For time being, the darkness that was slowly swallowing them became steady and quiet. Some time is given so we can learn more about Makina and develop deeper bonds with her, we’re presented a bit of her prodigy skills, seen her undergo the task of surviving a new part-time job and realizing wishes from the past. Among those skills, she proved herself as an amazing sniper and showed that her speech wasn’t merely broken, it was made to seem broken since it was easier and fit her better. It goes without saying: If after a storm comes a calm, by following this logic, a storm is surely to come once more.

Yuuji and Makina drive to his master’s grave, a fun trip overall with some interesting details about the so called master, Asako. Sometime later everything goes down as Makina witness a bombing, the car in which her sister who happened to be shopping got in was blown up and that made a deep mark on her heart for more than just the fact that they’re sisters. Had she not been hospitalized for so long, Irisu Sarina would never have been assigned as the proxy successor of the clan and would be now living a happy and carefree life to some extent. Sarina was the offspring of her mother with a man from the branch family, she wasn’t supposed to know about the sister existence but happened to do so after a slip of tongue from one of the servants. After holding herself for so many years not to call to her little sister because she was afraid of ruining her perfect easy life, in the end that life was destroyed by herself either way.

That evening something was taken from her and soon enough, the consequences of those events showed themselves. A phone is as convenient as it isn’t, you can receive calls anytime but you’re expected to always pick them up and you gotta be ready because not all of them might be good. Makina’s grandfather calls her and asks for her return, being declined, he gives her some time but it was obvious by then that the choice wasn’t that simple as a yes or no from the girl.

Soon enough, a warning shot comes, a gang is setup to shoot the bakery where Makina works as a sign, a way to try and impose fear upon her, the branch family makes it clear that they don’t want her back and are thirsting for revenge. The soil was now moistened. This event was the trigger to Yuuji’s actions, he decided it was time to move and he went straight for the queen, Irisu Kiyoka, Makina’s mother and head of the family.

Seed of the World Tree III

RFtOTni.jpg

The soil has been set in the seed tray and was already moistened, will the seed of the world tree finally be planted?

A woman who’s on the top of the world, who’s able to hate her own child, the head of the Irisu family. This is the person that Yuuji is trying to talk to in order to free Makina from the chains who bind her, stepping into a territory filled with the enemies, he sits down with Kiyoka.

It’s worth to note that from the very beginning, Yuuji was aware that she wasn’t to be taken lightly, a person who judges a man’s worth based on the shoes they’re wearing is someone who his master warned him to be careful about, in no time, she proves that the warning was indeed true. She was able to sniff his true nature with ease, a mad-dog to the bone. In the end, talking don’t get you anywhere with someone who sees people that don’t bring profit to her as garbage.

Without any accomplishments, the return is even heavier once another call brings bad news.  As much as an ally, fire can be one of mankind’s most formidable enemies, once something burns for too long, it’s hard to even recognize how it was before. Opening a bakery was a dream of Makina’s, one she started having after doing her very best to step forward on her own will, learning how to bake, how to talk to costumers, a needed experience in order to reach her goal, for her childish fantasy if you put in terms of how it was decided… However, human beings want a future, they wish for something and they strive for it… A dream is close to be the very soul of a person, to step on or to laugh at someone else dream is one of the most disrespectful acts one can do... And there it was her dream, being burned down. That night, a part of her soul was burned down with the bakery. 

"While many can pursue their dreams in solitude,

other dreams are like great storms blowing hundreds,

even thousands of dreams apart in their wake.

Dreams breathe life into men and can cage them in suffering.

Men live and die by their dreams.

But long after they have been abandoned they still smolder deep in men's hearts.

Some see nothing more than life and death.

They are dead, for they have no dreams."

-Griffith, Berserk           

She couldn’t ask for help, there was no one in the world who could possibly do something without being punished by doing so, in this moment, she didn’t even had her dream to comfort her, all she could do was seek comfort in her papa’s arms. That same night, she got a new light in her life, she was loved as a woman by the man she loved. A phone call was made in that same night, a dangerous call that destroyed the seed tray that was being set, the seed of the world tree rejected her destiny. At last, the final phone call is made. JB calls Yuuji and gives him a mission that had to be executed by the best of the best among Ichigaya, a mission approved by the three great powers of Japan’s darkness with clear orders: Eliminate Irisu Makina. Getting his hands on data regarding the whole Irisu family, Yuuji starts his research and learns everything about that which he wants to protect, together they decide to run away, even if it means living in a constant war against the world. Before leaving, Sachi presents them with a seed of an apple tree, a seed to symbolize their hope of meeting again one day to eat its fruits together, a seed of hope.

The civilians

tumblr_mr9af5raK81rcwfsgo1_500.gif

"… papa… it’s burning… the bakery’s… burning…"

It doesn’t matter how it is conveyed, war always affect civilians that have no reason to be harmed. The warning bullets are shot and terror is implied in the heart of the bakery owner and his wife. The fire is set, a piece of a dream is burned down together with the treasure of an innocent. 

The pariah

Irisu Masataka, the only one among the leaders of his clan who could be called an individual of genuine integrity. He wasn’t a natural born Irisu, he married into the family so he was kept away from the darkness only to learn by himself the truth: He was inside a corruption machine. Masataka was one of the greatest fathers I've seen in a game and a man of a pure heart, who tried to take the clan into a straighter path in concern of his new-born daughter future, he tried to bring light where darkness reigned only to be denied the right to exist.

After being communicated about his daughter kidnap, he followed the orders and gave the criminals the money without warning anyone about the matter. The assassination was carried by members of the branch family, using the convenient chance they had in hands, they killed Masataka just as planned and left Makina there.

After being shot innumerous times, he managed to still do his best to ease his daughter suffering, he apologized for the circumstances in which she was born and even smiled to the end, hoping she would remember it.

B6w1RKa.jpg

“Makina… What about you? Are you… Injured? Does it hurt anywhere…? I’m fine too… It doesn’t hurt at all… It’s true… It doesn’t hurt at all… Even though I’m bleeding so much… Mysterious, isn’t it…? I’m not in any pain…Don’t worry about it… That’s the way it’s supposed to be. You didn’t do anything wrong… I’m sorry, Makina. If you hadn’t been born as my daughter… you never would’ve had to go through this… I really am sorry… Hey, look, I’m smiling… It means I’m fine… Have I ever lied to you? I’m smiling because I want you to remember my smile, the smile you just said you loved… Thank you, Makina. I’ll be taking a nap now, didn’t get much sleep last night…

I’m sorry…”

Masataka wasn’t only denied the right to exist, he saw first handed how easily he and his beloved daughter were substituted, his parental love was stepped on by his killers and his body was left to rot in front of the powerless girl tied to a pillar in the middle of the summer. During summer the decomposition process is accelerated and a rotting body is one of the worst sights anyone can have, the last things he was able to give to Makina was that sight, the one who led her to decide and say the last words she planned on ever saying: “Papa… you liar…”

The victims

Irisu Makina and Irisu Sarina are both cursed by their fates, kids born under the roof of a matriarchal dangerous family, caught in the middle of an internal war between the main and the branch family by being used as tools for the control of the Irisu. Makina as the legit successor had it rough since the beginning, once she was hospitalized after her father brutal assassination, her sister was forced to stand-in for her as the future head of the clan. The accident regarding Masataka not only destabilized Makina’s mind, it also took Sarina out of her easy and simple life into a world of stress and pressure.

It’s ridiculous to hold children accountable for the sins of their fathers, but there is no place for such beautiful thoughts in the world where the higher ups of the clan lived. Makina lost her sanity, her existence was hidden away from her family and on top of it all, she lost her father, the only ally she had in this world. Sarina lost her childhood, her innocence was stolen away from her, even lost the freedom she once had. It doesn’t matter who you are, no one is safe from becoming a victim of war.

This quote is from another awesome game and it will be used as a reference in the following three topics of the analysis:

“Just because soldiers are on the same side right now, doesn’t mean they always will be. Having personal feelings about your comrades is one of the worst sins you can commit. Politics determine who you face on the battlefield. And politics are a living thing. They change along with the times. Yesterday’s good might be tomorrow’s evil. A soldier has to follow whatever orders he’s given. It’s not his place to question why. But you’re looking for a reason to fight. You’re a natural born fighter, but you’re not quite a soldier. A soldier is a political tool, nothing more. That’s doubly true if he’s a career soldier. Right and wrong have no place in his mission. He has no enemies and no friends. Only the mission. You follow the orders you’re given. That’s what being a soldier is.”

-The Boss, Metal Gear Solid 3

The soldiers

The quote is perfect to explain the situation in which the agents sent to the field are. It’s very likely that each one of them received information regarding what kind of person they were dealing with, even if just a brief file. For those in Ichigaya, 9029 betrayal was surely a big thing, there were diverse sayings in their workplace: “Being targeted by 9029 is like struggling to push out a turd that just doesn’t know when to quit”; “No matter how ugly thinks look, 9029 pulls through”; When 9029 participates in a mission, failure isn’t an option”. Now they were hunting the same man they admired and feared, but there was no point in complaining or questioning about it, they are dogs supposed to follow their orders and report “Mission accomplished” once they return.

The martyr leader

JB always worked prioritizing stability and safety, a low-risk low-reward kind of person who would gladly sacrifice the “small” for the “large”, she couldn’t simply give up on that principle that late in the game, she sacrificed too much already to do so, even if it was for Yuuji. She endured the suffering of having him betray her and she never failed to try to convey the best procedure against him once the assaults started. She endured the suffering like a martyr while paying for the sin of her feelings.

No matter how strong a defense is, a stronger attack will eventually win over it but that only applies when the attack is actually superior. Many reckless actions were taken in order to try and take care of the fugitives, all of that due to the failure of a commander that Otsuka (a superior who was responsible for the operations) was, refusing to change his perspective on the matter after being crushed time after time by Yuuji’s superior abilities. JB was always present when the orders were issued, she showed her knowledge not only on a tactical level but also proved to be the one who best understood the way Yuuji dealt with things, constantly trying to avoid as much damage as possible for the sake of her underlings, always trying to approach the matter in the safest way possible. Not every leader is the top head, some of them are entrusted to command units, factions, armies, but JB proved herself, she showed the marks of a true leader.

The messiah

Free from his chains, a beast born to fight and kill is now unleashed and it'll destroy any possible enemy blocking the way toward it's objective. For Makina to escape from the Irisu’s hands, she had to stay away from them for more three years or to eliminate every single individual who posed a threat to her, not an easy task by any means when it comes into account that she threatened the head of the clan and posed real danger to them. If someone in this world was able to bring freedom to her, it was Yuuji: The number 9029, the one who could accomplish any job. If it was a battle against the world, then only the best in the world could stand a chance, to protect her at all costs, to give her freedom he was ready to once again stain his hands with blood shed by the devil in his right arm. With everything in place, the tarot cards can now be revealed.

The fool

ytLN41F.png

Different from Kazuki, Makina embraced foolishness instead of developing her geniality to the maximum. By threatening her mother of giving away the secrets of the family, an spontaneous and unexpected action done by an impulse caused by the fire, she ended in a situation where her only way of surviving was to follow Yuuji in a new life, a new journey headed into the unknown.

Despite their situation, she had faith in him, she believed on his abilities even when things seemed to be going in the wrong direction. She felt protected, loved, she was happy to be by his side. Even so, foolishness led to carefree action that drew the next card of the deck, by going back to the place where the seed of hope was left behind after an attack, Makina faced two armed agents and managed to take one down, but failed to finish the other one properly, being shot by him afterwards.

Temperance

ENp1y0e.png

Yuuji rushed to Makina’s aid but he was too late, the injuries where too much for her to survive a trip back to the hospital, that’s when JB appears. Not to kill her, not to take him under custody, JB was carrying the seed of hope and she had the means to slow the blood loss enough so the girl would survive the trip to the hospital. Every action so far was taken aiming to harm those two, but right now, JB found the middle ground, not there as a leader but as a soldier following orders to deliver the seed back to its location. Even if he was afraid of giving her away, there was no point in resisting so he combined forces with JB to do the things only they could do, to find a balance in order to save her. Makina was entrusted to JB and Yuuji drew the final card.

Death

GjttTt3.png

When faced against inexorable forces, there is nothing one can do other than riding his fate. The only hope of changing the situation was to eliminate the only obstacle in their way, the final obstacle needed to be overcome in order to close this door of suffering to open a door to the unknown. It wasn’t about what he could do anymore but about what he had to do, Irisu Kiyoka had to die. Yuuji infiltrated the Irisu Global Headquarters and is now face to face with his target. Now all the cards are revealed, all that remained was to interpret their meaning but one last talk was needed.

Decision

jyeFY5E.png

D5qGqYZ.png                                    vfQsLcz.png

A “good” end (?)

Despite the title given in this part, by no means I’m trying to say it wasn’t good but the way it was conveyed kinda felt like it could have been better.

Firstly, wounds caused by a shotgun are incredibly dangerous since it carries not only the penetration power from most regular guns, it got an immense destructive radius. The pellets not only pierce the body, they destroy flesh, bones and anything else in the way if hit close enough. In the bad end only one bullet was possibly lethal: The one that hit an unspecified point in his right flank, the blood loss is also a viable explanation but from the details given later in both ends, it seemed like he lost way more from the shotgun than from the handgun. Later it was explained that the lost arm was what released him from his old job, based on this, his death in the bad end became too much of a diabolus ex machina while his survival in the good end too much of a deus ex machina. 

It’s also worth to remember that in the bad end the apple tree stopped it’s developing, kinda expected since it was the bad one but there is not even a single mention about it during the good end, truly disappointing since it had such an important role in the plot. It might be just me but I had high expectations for a pretty CG where everyone from Mihama would gather below a huge apple tree smiling and having fun. It was a good ending but not the one this route deserved. 

Final considerations

The good end was probably the only part of this fantastic character route I didn’t felt 100% satisfied with, even the slow start was particularly ok for the final outcome. It’s the only rival to Amane’s route (statistically talking) and for a good reason, my VN list is so small it isn’t even close to being moderate (only 5 read, 2 of them being super short) but I’ve accumulated enough mangas, animes, movies, novels, books, etc to say that this was one hell of a good story, definitely worth the time it takes to read through it all.

The tarot cards were chosen for a possible interpretation of their acts being similar to the meanings the cards can have, I'm not exactly an expert at tarot but I'm currently learning a bit about it so there might be some mistakes.

I searched the forums and didn't found anything like an analysis, it's probably something most of you might not be used to seeing but in this short time here, I noticed that there are many here who have different opinions about lots of things, I hope that this topic brings forth those whose perspective about the matter differ from mine so we could possibly have a nice talk/discussion. I'd  also appreciate if you could give me some feedback, remembering to consider the things I said in the beginning. 

f2wOCN5.png

Initial considerations

This will be my second analysis for Grisaia, this time featuring Amane’s route and also a small bonus that’s not really that big, but it’s still a curiosity. I chose to go for this one because it’s in my opinion, the best one in the game and I hope that it’ll help me get in high spirits to keep up the good work. I’ll try my best to give this magnificent work an analysis that’s on par with it.

Summary

1. The Slut
2. Do I deserve to be loved...?
3. Why me?
4. The cockroach's codex gigas
5. The howling angel, Kazami Kazuki
6. The howling angel, Kazami Kazuki II
7. Inhuman
8. The cockroach
9. The hunter
10. Decision

The Slut

zhw2fDx.png

One of the cicada sisters, an excellent cook and a slut. With the biggest turn-around flashback in the game, the cliffhanger on the bad end and the help of the arguably best character in the game, one who surpasses even the main character, Suou Amane is recognized as the girl with the best route in the game in terms of overall story quality.

At first sight, she seemed like a scaredy-cat who was afraid of bugs, turning out a bit later to actually be the onee-chan character. Right at their first encounter, Amane reaction to Yuuji’s surname gives a hint that she had some kind of connection to him, freezing upon hearing it and having her surprised sprite used. During the whole common and most of her own, she’s nothing more than a perverted big sister role-player, who comes from a restaurant owning family and switches to kansai accent when pissed off. Later on, despite maintaining most of her original traits, some others are revealed to have a deeper reason than just being part of her personality.

For the looks, Amane is the hottest when it comes to the three measures department. She’s also the tallest among the girls and the oldest of the students. Everything about her screams: “Onee-chan,” at the readers. Early on during the common route, she asks Yuuji to be his boyfriend, she claims to have fallen in love at first sight and upon being rejected, accepts simply being his big-sister. His doubts begin to have more and more meaning as the game progresses, but this perfectly convenient girl, could someone like her really exist?

A beauty with huge breasts falls in love with me at first sight, then unilaterally lavishes attention on me out of sheer affection?

Her skill at cooking is superb; and in contrast to her seemingly rough, careless attitude,

she’s unusually attentive to small details and highly considerate of others’ needs.

A good woman, any way you look at her. Of course, I think that’s the exact reason I can’t rid myself of my doubts.

“Why would she fall in love with me, of all people?”

Do I deserve to be loved…?

Amane’s dedication toward being a good big-sister to Yuuji never fails to amuse, but his doubts never cease to exist. Her tendency to underestimate men triggers the choice for the route.

Even when put in a situation where one would be pissed off, Amane smiles and accepts it as an unavoidable outcome. No matter how many times she affirms that her love for Yuuji is real, her words seems hollow and confusing, however, her smile is considered genuine by him. Even when things don’t look natural, a sincere smile can throw those doubts away, that’s double the truth for someone whose common sense is questionable. Tricking her into closing her eyes for a kiss, you get to make a choice.

·         This calls for shock and awe. Steal a kiss with overbearing force.

·         This is idiotic. Can’t let myself get caught up in her nonsense.

Choosing the latter, you won’t get into her route nor have a romance with her, but an inner monologue will happen where Yuuji demonstrates that despite not romantically, he loves her like a family. Amane became to him someone like JB and his deceased master. Choosing the former, you’ll kiss her forcefully with the intention of alerting her of how dangerous men can be. After a brief discussion, while not getting him to be her boyfriend, she gets to become his girlfriend, although it’s confusing at first, the rules imposed to their relationship clear that away. Due to circumstances, Yuuji cannot entirely devote himself to Amane and say that he belongs to her, but he’s willing to accept her devotion and love to him and he’s ready to protect her at all costs. The path of a girl’s redemption, the past that broke a boy’s life, when those two interconnect, the wheels of fate begin to turn.

There’s no reason why people fall in love;

or perhaps you could say the reasons are frequently impossible to express in words.

I do understand that much. But still, I can’t help but think

“Why me?”

Despite the abnormal amount of sex for a relationship that barely started, they weren’t much different from a regular couple. But with time, Yuuji notices that Amane got a weird appreciation for the peaceful days they lived together. For him who knows that the ability to appreciate such things comes either with old age or by being forced to realize the value of such calm and normal days, only suspicious feelings fill his head.

"But to be honest, I’m still uncertain about this woman in many respects. About her motives; about the depth of her feelings toward me."

In the end, those feelings were proven to be right. As Amane sneaks into his room for a special wake-up service, her true thoughts are revealed.

"Have I… actually fallen in love with this man…?

Well, if so… that’s fine, I guess. Either way,

it doesn’t change the fact that I need him…"

But for him, who didn’t knew that, there was no point in thinking that much about things, she respected that his past was not something she should pry on and thus, he should have at least the same amount of respect toward her. However, is that really how things should be?  Reasons to strength his doubts started to raise left to right, from Chizuru and JB saying that they imagined things would end up like that (referring to them becoming a couple), to Yumiko’s warning him about her possible suffering, no matter how strongly he wanted to, the uncertainty in his heart could not be dismissed.

The cockroach’s codex gigas

Festivals are times to create happy memories, to have fun and enjoy the moment. People from different places gather with that purpose, and sometimes it’s possible for the past to come haunt you. If God does exist, then he has a terrible sense of humor. Girls from Amane’s past notice her in the festival and talk a bit about a certain incident involving her, also mentioning a nickname that marked her life forever: Cockroach.

Be it for the best or the worst, Yuuji happened to hear them. But he’s not the only one who gets his hands on some information, that brief moment where those girls noticed Amane, gave the hunter a glimpse of his prey.

Once in the dorm, Yuuji questions Amane about her past and how can he help her. She reveals her relationship to his sister and gives him her diary. Each page brings a different mix of feelings, a diary of her days in hell, filled with mankind’s sins and disgraces, the true devil’s bible. 

The howling angel, Kazami Kazuki

BLjYQIb.png

The howling angel, Kazami Kazuki II

6IvHs1I.png

Inhuman

M9nfgIJ.png

The cockroach

"Is other people's misery... really that much fun to you...?"

XbpJaOU.png

The hunter

There was nothing else to be done for her sake. Killing her wouldn’t bring her salvation. The only one who could give her forgiveness was herself. Yuuji understood that very well and made it so she would live for his safe from that point onwards. Their love was real and that was settled, but there was still a small piece out of place in his mind, for there was no way Kazuki simply died like that, leaving no proof behind. It was a brave action to decide to go back to the place where the accident happened, but more than bad memories would be waiting for them.

"The man stinks. The scent of bloodlust, tinged with madness."

Despite the popular opinion on him, Sakashita Keiji was a beast on his own rights. He was definitely not a simple old-man with a gun like people tend to describe him. He managed to stealthily approach and vanish in a way not even Yuuji was capable of keeping up. He was a hunter, one with superb skills, trained by a marine said to be the greatest sniper, even among the elite.

During the hunt, he never gave his prey enough space to observe him and always kept at least a shell in his double-barrel shotgun, as insurance against a counterattack. His stealth skills were sharpened to hunt any living thing that could sense a presence from far away, he never approached his target with carelessness even if it seemed like there was no risk. He cautiously observed the surroundings in search for any possible trap, as well as constantly analyzing mentally all the data he gathered about his prey, from background to physical build.

Seriously injured and being hunted by a ghoul, the time to make a choice comes. To run away with Amane for being unable to leave her alone once more in that place, or to run away separately for being unable to ignore battle instincts?  

Decision

es1nvc8.png

Final Considerations

Thanks for reading this huge wall of text and images, you seriously should be proud of yourself! I enjoy a lot doing this analysis, but I also ran into some technical problems like my microsoft word suddenly crashing and leaving me with literally nothing of my analysis. I think the greatest barrier was while reading Angelic Howl. I'm on a restrict diet being controlled by a nutritionist so reading about girls being hungry was definitely not fun. But leaving those details aside, I believe to have achieved something good here. In special, I hope that more people stop undervaluing Sakashita Keiji (the hunter) since he was a truly worthy antagonist given the situation. I really fail to see how come he's viewed as a simple old man by many readers, since not only we got detailed explanations about the whole hunt and even Yuuji had to accept him as an amazing hunter.

For those who don't know, Codex Gigas is the name of the biggest medieval manuscript, people call it the Devil's Bible, hence my decision to use it as part of a title. Please, feel free to criticize my work be it about the art or the analysis itself.

Announcement banners archive

• Amane's banner

ForovJE.png

Bonus

Common Route Foreshadowings

Grisaia is famous for it's long and comical common route, but it's true value is revealed once the game is fully completed. That's when people notice how subtly they were told many of the things that would happen in the future (speaking about the game progress, so flashbacks included), this is foreshadowing. By re-reading it, it's actually pretty scary just how many of those existed, and for no apparent reason, I decided to make a list of all the ones I managed to notice.

I didn't considered any of the route choices scenes as part of the common route despite the game saying so. The reason for this is that depending on your decision, you'll automatically be inside a route that's not the common one, so it felt better to exclude them from the list.

How to read:

Scene title

• Context

“Possible quote”

"Possible reply/replies or next quote"

Warning: I'm aware that some of the following happenings could arguably be removed from the list, and also that some happenings could be added. If anyone notices any of the previous cases, feel free to notify me and I'll evaluate it. In case it proves necessary, I'll correct it as soon as possible.

Opening

• On their first meeting, Sachi asks if Yuuji is not an intruder, he proceeds to explain her that no one will admit they’re an intruder if asked. She changes the question to “are you not an intruder?” and gets as a reply:

“Flexible thinking isn’t your strong suit, clearly.”

• Sachi wearing a maid suit due to a suggestion taken by her as an order. Later, it’s said that she chose her room (3rd room next from the stairs in the first floor) because someone said that her name kinda rhymed with room three

“From “you’re kind of like a maid,” a certain conversation eventually shifted to “why don’t you try on a maid uniform?”. Finally, “now that you’ve actually put it on it really suits you, so you should wear it when you can” – and so according to that suggestion, I attempt to wear maid clothes whenever it’s possible for me to do so.”

“Well, as you know, my name is Sachi. Apparently, that “sorta rhymes with room three!” and so I was encouraged to – “

• Sachi asks how she should address Yuuji, in response he claims that she may call him whatever she wants.

“In that case, would it be acceptable if I addressed you as “Yuu-kun?”

• Amane brushing Makina’s hair, Yuuji comes and a conversation starts, Yuuji answers amane’s question with another question, she then answers:

“I think someone once said that answering a question with a question is proof of stupidity”

• Amane upon hearing Yuuji’s full name, completely freezes. Later, she tries to ask him something but decides to wait until she got her thoughts together.

School Killer Yumiko

• Yumiko tries to stab/cut Yuuji with a box cutter. A bit later we’re told that according to Amane, it seems that Yumiko has something of a habit of brandishing retractable knives at people.

Surprise Party

• Amane asks Yuuji if he has a big sister, her sprite shows a sad/reluctant face which persists until the topic is changed

“You seem, uh, pretty used to women. Do you have an older sister or something?”

Catnip and Clawfish

• Yuuji inner monologue about Makina’s freedom

“I’m sure that she brings that little pocket of naturally peaceful space with her wherever she goes. I think that’s something worth envying, and it’s probably very precious to her as well – Which might well be why she doesn’t want to step outside this sanctuary of a school when she can avoid it. Inside this sanctuary that would crumble in a moment without protection of others”

• Makina tells Yuuji that her mother hates her.

Pack Sachi first!

• Yuuji explains about bamboo differences when making intricate goods, later claiming that: “If you can tell the difference between the two it’ll come in handy when you’re trying to live off the mountains. Keep it in mind”. Following that, Michiru says that she doesn’t think that female students typically need to worry about living off the land, leading to Amane agreeing in an unusually weak tone.

Hold your hand

• Amane is said to be depressive by Yumiko:

“She’s purposefully making a fuss. Is she that afraid of people realizing she’s depressive?”

“What do you mean?”

“Exactly what I said. Even so, I find this preferable to the old Suou-san’s incredibly timid behavior, so I’ve already accepted it as the lesser of two evils.

• Amane recalls Kazuki way while talking to Yuuji

“Spare me. I can’t get any cuter than I already am. All the other girls will get jealous and start picking on me.”

“…Hehe… that tongue of yours… anyone ever tell you it reminds them of someone?”

• Amane mentions a traumatic accident in her past

“…The truth is, because of a traumatic accident in my past, I feel real uneasy unless I’m holding hands with someone…”

Crab Mayo

• Yuuji doesn’t go to dinner in Amane’s room, she then goes to his room with a plate of food and talks to him about food.

“What the heck. You children disappoint me. There’s lots of boys and girls in this world who can’t eat even if they want to, you know?”

Idiot Girl, Fake Tsundere

• Although not for Sachi, Yuuji does say:

“I see, understood. But that utter lack of awareness might cost you your life someday. Please make sure to look both ways for cars before you cross the road.”

• Sachi upon hearing Michiru’s misconception about the Hito (person) character drawn on the hand superstition, mentions:

“Michiru-sama’s body works in such convenient ways. I’m rather envious…”

• During a talk in the dorms, the following quotes are said:

“Well, anyway. I’m just glad that vacant head of hers hasn’t put her life at risk. Ahahaha.

“Perhaps the original Michiru-sama has in fact wandered off a cliff and died, and the current generation is an entirely different person…”

“A dev’l lives inside Chiruchiru…”

“Mmkay, g’night everybody. Onii-chan, you just forget about Chiruchiru an’ have nice dreams, okay?”

“Is it really oaky to just forget about her?”

Scaredy-cat

• Sachi mentions that she already saw Sakaki startled, Yuuji then thinks:

“Sakaki? It doesn’t seem like she’d bat an eyelid even if the dorm exploded under her.”

Running Cadence

• While suspecting Amane to be an assassin, Yuuji mentions in his inner monologue:

“Her lack of interest in my past makes sense if she’d already received an overview of my background.”

Michiru’s Ritual

• While observing Michiru’s bleaching ritual, Yuuji thoughts appear as follow:

“As I’m leaving, it occurs to me that Michiru’s movements are also similar to those of a zombie. If that woman is in fact one of the undead, I suppose I’ll have to put a bullet in her head. Compared to walking the earth as the living dead, I’m sure she would want it that way.”

Super Self-Defense

• After coming back from the police station for the second time, Yuuji find Makina waiting for him. Once decided that they’d be going back to Mihama, she grabs his hand.

“You don’t need to squeeze that hard, I’m not going to vanish all of a sudden.”

“…You promise?”

A Rich Diet

• Amane quotes Kazuki when Yuuji talks about geniuses.

“Yep. When you become a genius, what you gain isn’t admiration so much as envy and enemies.”

Thrilling Extreme Sports

• Upon getting a sprain, Yuuji pig-backs Amane to the infirmary, on their way he tells her not to make light of leg injuries, due to the fact that soldiers get abandoned when they can’t walk.

“…Soldiers, he says… Well… I guess…Yeah, you’re right… The injured ones… die first…

• Trying to see if there’s any past connection between him and Amane, Yuuji thinks:

“I was entertaining the possibility she might have been some childhood friend I’d parted from in tears or what have you, but I’m pretty well convinced that isn’t the case.”

A Sweet Diet

• Amane tries to feed Yuuji and he seems to refuse, she then explains

“I don’t know about your past, and even if I did I couldn’t do anything about it. Other than offer you hollow sympathy, which I won’t. I know how miserable that feels on the receiving end. Maybe this is just me making myself feel better. Sorry. But could you please deal with it?”

Reflections on a reflection

• Chizuru asks Yuuji his thoughts about his classmates, having him state:

“In others words, Michiru’s so weak tha she feels the need to project hollow menace in self-defence. The girl wouldn’t last a minute on her own. She has to form symbiotic relationships to survive… In that sense, Sachi’s a unique presence in Michiru’s life. If you ask me, Michiru might be trying to figure out “Just how selfish can I be before Sachi rejects me?” by slowly pushing at the limits of her kindness.”

“Sachi, eh…? On the surface, she’s just insanely serious about everything. Kind of an awkward girl. I think she believes diligent obedience is her only redeeming feature. Guess you could classify her as a “tortoise” rather than a “hare,” but it seems more like she’s decided that for herself… like she’s just given up on developing her talents any further. Basically, she’s the type who thinks about resolving a huge problem over the course of ten years of hard work. She seems incapable of even considering a search for easier methods, let alone turning to others for help… The girl’s faithful to her orders, but she doesn’t think about efficiency when carrying them out. It’s almost like she’s punishing herself. If someone doesn’t teach the girl to let off some steam, she’s going to explode someday.”

“If you ask me, Makina’s kind of the exact opposite of Michiru. She plays up her own weakness to take advantage of the protection of others. Like her bizarre speech patterns and quirky habits – The aggressive way she cuddles up to people, all that. I think it’s something she does by instinct to invite compassion from the strong."

Don’t Stop the Friendship

• Having a chat in the common room, the friendship topic arises and Yuuji says to Michiru:

“Not to worry, Michiru. You can always make friends inside your head. They’ll never reject you.”

• A bit later, Amane asks him about his friends, triggering the following thoughts:

“As a kid? My friends, eh… Hmm. The words bring to mind a young girl I met under some very unusual circumstances. Our relationship was basically about helping each other stay alive, but I guess you could have called it a sort of friendship. Then again, after a while she disappeared from that place, and I was left to fend for myself again.

• Once he starts talking about his “buddies” as he prefers to call them, he mentions that it’s good to learn who you can count on to watch your back, and who you can’t expect anything from, as well as how to deal with the latter. Having heard this, Sachi summarizes it by saying: ““Dealing” with the… incompetent…?” With teary eyes, soon making Michiru get a bit down herself.

And your Hobbies are?

• Commenting about Yuuji’s calisthenics exercises, Makina with a sad face says:

“Existence is unendurably painful… And yet, I can do nothing but go on living…”

• A bit later, having her delusion about hobbies destroyed, Makina tells Amane that:

“Don’t take it so hard, kid. I bet you’ll find somethin’ worth living for one of these days. So for now, you just hang in there and be th’ very best housewife ya can be, alright?”

• The topic changes to Michiru’s masturbation habits, Sachi then comes and delivers the final blow to Michiru, making her blow and say that she’ll blow the building sky-high, the maid then answers:

“Michiru-sama, blowing up a structure of this size would require significant expertise, as well as access to fairly powerful explosives. I don’t think it’s a practical means of resolving your problems, whatever they may be.”

• Makina on the next day mentions:

“It’ll be okay, Chiruchiru! Ya got lives to spare!”

The Silver Bullet’s Target

• Near the sea, Michiru and Yuuji talk a bit and she gives him what she believes to be how other people see her

“That’s just one small part of the true Michiru.”

• A bit later, she shares her opinion about the night sky with him

“Can’t help it, that’s what it seems like to me. So I just don’t look at the sky at night. It’s kind of scary, and it makes me feel lonely… It makes me feel like I’m not myself anymore.”

• Eventually, the conversation becomes about death

“Everyone around you will probably be running around worrying about the funeral, but what do you care? There are many different ways to get to that point, but ultimately I think everyone’s just sleeping for eternity.”

Tailing

• After stalking Sachi for a while, Yuuji aborts his mission and talks to her, she introduces him to a cat she has been taking care of together with other kids from the neighborhood. Noticing she’s quite fondle of the cat, Yuuji asks if she doesn’t want to take the cat to the dorms

“As long as none of the others have an allergy or whatever, I doubt anyone’s going to complain if you’re a little selfish for once…”

“I mustn’t be selfish. A selfish girl who causes trouble for others is a bad girl. And I mustn’t be a bad girl.”

Pumpkin and YB

• Michiru quotes Amane about getting too self-conscious

“Get too self-conscious and you’ll turn into an ugly human bein’, ya know?”

“Hmm… it’s a little tough to explain. Basically, if you get too obsessed with what everyone thinks of you, it’s easy to lose your individuality… Your values and style get thrown off little by little…”

Parent-Teacher conference

• After a brief talk from Amane about how Sakaki’s father is, Makina comments:

“Smells like th’ sorta grown-up I ain’t too fond of.”

I know! Let’s go to the beach!

• Talking about her size and how she was physically in the past, Amane mentions:

“Mmm… Well, there was this period of time where I didn’t got anything decent to eat, and ever since then my metabolism has been totally different… Diet isn’t quite the right word, but… Mmm, well, something kind of similar, I guess? Anyway, I came pretty close to dying from malnutrition… And after that, my body started storing fat like crazy.

Makina’s Abnormal Talent

• While Yuuji and Michiru have a talk about her personality, Makina appears suggesting a way to rebuild her

“Chiruchiru’s a tsundere, as we all know. But I think there’s a sweet, adorable girl hidin’ beneath that prickly surface, just waitin’ to emerge. We can rebuild her! Better, stronger, less of a sourpuss.”

“No way! Absolutely not! I want to be who I am, thank you very much.”

• A bit later, upon having Michiru talk gently to them, Yuuji congratulates Makina.

“Congratulations, Makina. You’ve flipped her psychological switch. At long last, the true Michiru has broken free of her tsundere shell.

Bonbore Brand Manjuu

• Michiru sacrifices herself in order to make Sachi not pulverize herself or anything of the kind, by eating the by then melted ice cream demanded by Amane. Yuuji later gives her pills to help the girl with her indigestion and thinks:

“The bitter scent of uncoated seirogan pills tickles my nose as I turn away from the tsundere woman’s room. It might be a simple misunderstanding on my part, but I’m beginning to think she may have a surprisingly thoughtful side.”

Storming the Beach 1

• Forgetting to dress her casual clothes after going back to put on her swimsuit, Michiru becomes the clown of the moment, triggering Yuuji’s commentary:

“Come now, Michiru’s sacrificing what little dignity she has left for our amusement. Why not enjoy her buffoonery a while longer?”

• While interpreting her death, Michiru says the same last words as the girl from her past:

“…I’m going… ahead, okay…?”

Storming the Beach 2

• While making a hole towards Michiru’s genitalia on the sand hill she just built, Sachi starts talking about a past happening on her life:

“This is somewhat thrilling, isn’t it? It makes me remember my childhood… The time I played in the playground sand box with a boy from the neighborhood… The pair of us burrowed through a big pile of sand from opposite directions… and at halfway point, our hands brushed against each other… That sweet flutter of the heart…"

Changelog

May 13, 2014:

• Original thread with Makina's analysis only created.

Oct 3, 2014:

• New thread (this) created;
  • Moved Makina's analysis;
  • Amane's analysis announcement, release date previewed to be Oct 5, 2014.

Oct 10, 2014:

• Improved the topic aesthetics a bit;
  • Created a spoiler for the "Coming Soon" banners;
  • Created a spoiler for the "Bonus";
  • Moved Amane's announcement banner;
  • Added Amane's analysis.

Due to a few technical issues + the appearance of new ideas to improve the quality, both visual and informative of the analysis, I'll unfortunately have to delay it with no previewed date, but I'd guess around next sunday it'll be up. (Also, I just got Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, so I'll be dividing my time to play it)

Guys, can someone tell me why do people think that Makina's route is the best route in Grisaia?I read the comments about which route was the best, and a lot of people said that you should save Makina's route for the last,since it's the best and blah blah blah.Well,I did that and I was dissapointed to the point I had to hold CTRL because I found it boring.

To tell you the truth,I think that Yumiko's route is the 2nd best route (1st one being Amane's),and people say that it's the worst route and blah blah blah.

I'm kinda confused about people's tastes.

Guys, can someone tell me why do people think that Makina's route is the best route in Grisaia?I read the comments about which route was the best, and a lot of people said that you should save Makina's route for the last,since it's the best and blah blah blah.Well,I did that and I was dissapointed to the point I had to hold CTRL because I found it boring.

To tell you the truth,I think that Yumiko's route is the 2nd best route (1st one being Amane's),and people say that it's the worst route and blah blah blah.

I'm kinda confused about people's tastes.

I tried to explain so in my analysis, but to simplify: It's huge. Her route involves not only her romance with Yuuji but it brings forth both their pasts to light, even though his was not completely explained. We get to learn a bit more about Ichigaya's methods, hierarchy and some secrets. Makina development is way bigger than people give her credits, she changed so much from the opening until her epilogues. The story truly starts to get into the main plot by half of the Seed of the World Tree scenes, so it's expected that people get bored.

I'd rather not comment much about Yumiko's route since I plan on doing an analysis about it soon, but overall it's really bad. Honestly, it's not much about taste, it's about being critical about the quality of what you're reading. For example, I believe Amane and Makina are tied with the best routes of the game, but I didn't enjoyed Makina's route that much as my personal tastes go. 

Hype. That is the sole reason.

If you go into a route after hearing about how "awesome" it is, chances are your expectations will be too high and then you'll end up being disappointed and going "it wasn't that good". In this case, Makina.

Likewise if you go into a route after hearing how "bad" it is you can end up going "it wasn't that bad! I liked it!". In this case, Yumiko.

I've fallen prey to hype myself a few times already and so I NEVER read about other people's thoughts on routes anymore until after I've played it.

I personally played Yumiko -> Michiru -> Sachi -> Makina -> Amane and would rank the routes Amane > Makina > Sachi > Yumiko > Michiru

~~~

Excellent analysis on Amane's route, Rose! I like the amount of effort you put into all of the pictures and quotes :D

If you go into a route after hearing about how "awesome" it is, chances are your expectations will be too high and then you'll end up being disappointed and going "it wasn't that good". In this case, Makina.

Likewise if you go into a route after hearing how "bad" it is you can end up going "it wasn't that bad! I liked it!". In this case, Yumiko.

I've fallen prey to hype myself a few times already and so I NEVER read about other people's thoughts on routes anymore until after I've played it.

I personally played Yumiko -> Michiru -> Sachi -> Makina -> Amane and would rank the routes Amane > Makina > Sachi > Yumiko > Michiru

~~~

Excellent analysis on Amane's route, Rose! I like the amount of effort you put into all of the pictures and quotes :D

• 2 weeks later...

I really fail to see how having her lover in a trash bag is a good end at all. Nor how living a dream with her lover is a bad end at all.

Thanks, but my writing is not that good, I just manage some fancy words in a fancy way. You could probably find way better writers in the forums, it's just that they choose not to actually write anything.

WHY U NO LUV LOVERS IN TRASH BAGS,U YANDERE HATER!

Ok,let's see this from your point of view:

How's letting Makina's mother live a good ending at all,and why is killing her a bad ending?

;Also,(this is not going to have spoilers tag because it isn't a spoiler at all,but you have been warned in case)can you tell me why pulling the trigger has anything to do with Makina ending up pregnant?This is going to be gross,but did Makina

do it with Yuuji's corpse?

......(I'll stop using spoilers tags from now on because I already know that you read Makina's route,so spoiler tags aren't necesary to begin with)

What's wrong with JB?It's like she never cared about Yuuji to begin with.This is true for the bad ending,since even after Yuuji's death she keeps working at her job like nothing happened.

The whole 9029 situation....seriously?Makina barely had any sniper-training (it was mentioned at the start that she even had bad eyesight ,and she's not an athlete.I don't remember exactly where,but the game shows that Makina is not that good at sports). If I'm right,the Good ending takes 1 year after the events of Makina's route. Ok,let's say that she SOMEHOW trained and has good sniping-skills and is decent at sports. Even if that does makes sense (which doesn't),why does she have Yuuji's spot? From what we know,Yuuji had to go through several years of specialized training before he could become a "real" agent,so why does Makina get an important spot out of nowhere in a year? Deus Ex Machina detected..

The whole H-Scene with Makina was for nothing.In fact,the only thing it did is break the good Dad-daughter relationship Yuuji had with Makina.It just felt..........way too weird.

At this point,let's be honest.Can you even call the Good ending a "Good ending" at all?She had to leave her Mihama Academy friends behind,she has to kill people to get money, she has to take care of Yuuji all by herself....

Oh wow,I never wrote a comment this long. I feel tired,meh. Anyway,I'll stop here,since pointing out plotholes is ruining even more my memories of Makina's route.

Hey,how did we get here?This was supposed to be a Heroine route analyses,yet here I am trying to crush Makina's route so badly just to point out why I think it was bad.I hope this doesn't ends wrong.

WHY U NO LUV LOVERS IN TRASH BAGS,U YANDERE HATER!

Ok,let's see this from your point of view:

How's letting Makina's mother live a good ending at all,and why is killing her a bad ending?

;Also,(this is not going to have spoilers tag because it isn't a spoiler at all,but you have been warned in case)can you tell me why pulling the trigger has anything to do with Makina ending up pregnant?This is going to be gross,but did Makina

do it with Yuuji's corpse?

......(I'll stop using spoilers tags from now on because I already know that you read Makina's route,so spoiler tags aren't necesary to begin with)

What's wrong with JB?It's like she never cared about Yuuji to begin with.This is true for the bad ending,since even after Yuuji's death she keeps working at her job like nothing happened.

The whole 9029 situation....seriously?Makina barely had any sniper-training (it was mentioned at the start that she even had bad eyesight ,and she's not an athlete.I don't remember exactly where,but the game shows that Makina is not that good at sports). If I'm right,the Good ending takes 1 year after the events of Makina's route. Ok,let's say that she SOMEHOW trained and has good sniping-skills and is decent at sports. Even if that does makes sense (which doesn't),why does she have Yuuji's spot? From what we know,Yuuji had to go through several years of specialized training before he could become a "real" agent,so why does Makina get an important spot out of nowhere in a year? Deus Ex Machina detected..

The whole H-Scene with Makina was for nothing.In fact,the only thing it did is break the good Dad-daughter relationship Yuuji had with Makina.It just felt..........way too weird.

At this point,let's be honest.Can you even call the Good ending a "Good ending" at all?She had to leave her Mihama Academy friends behind,she has to kill people to get money, she has to take care of Yuuji all by herself....

Oh wow,I never wrote a comment this long. I feel tired,meh. Anyway,I'll stop here,since pointing out plotholes is ruining even more my memories of Makina's route.

Hey,how did we get here?This was supposed to be a Heroine route analyses,yet here I am trying to crush Makina's route so badly just to point out why I think it was bad.I hope this doesn't ends wrong.

There was actually no reason to use spoilers from the beginning, this thread is made to be discussed with details from the whole novel, anyone here is warned of this fact since I wrote it in the introduction to the thread. I'm saying this but it's only theory, the only facts we have are that killing her will take you to the bad end and not killing her will take you to the good end. If you choose to kill her, you end up dying, since you simply charge against the enemies without proper planning, it's natural to expect bad things. Not killing her is indeed questionable, but if you think about it from Kiyoka's point of view, it's something scary enough to stop her from doing anything. She didn't knew if Yuuji survived in the end, but she was scared. The one who was protecting Makina was a man able to infiltrate into the Irisu's main building all by himself, and that same man was the first person to ever hit her, a woman who had never been beaten before, not even by her own parents. Kiyoka discarded people as if they were nothing, but for someone who grew up like her, considering the first man to ever touch her aggressively a "nothing" was not a possibility, therefore encouraging her not to chase Makina anymore.

That is a plot thing. When you read a novel, consider the different endings as different universes. Also, doing it with a corpse won't make you pregnant, that's for sure.

We are not given info about JB's thoughts during the bad end. If you think about it, she was even good enough to take Makina in and have her work as 9029, not only to give the girl income, but that would also allow her to monitor Makina's actions and protect her in a way. If you wanna extend it to the whole route, JB is a leader. Her duty was to follow the orders she was given and that is what she did, personal feelings are something they're taught to discard in that job - This was said during the common route as well. 

Makina indeed didn't had a good way with sports, but her sight was perfect, I re-read the whole novel not that long ago and there was no mention whatsoever to her eyesight. Yuuji himself noticed that the girl actually had talent for sniping and personally trained her. As for sports, there was probably no real need for her to develop that much in that area, since the identity of 9029 is actually something not revealed to the other workers of Ichigaya, so she could only do the job from the sniping position. And remember, Makina is a prodigy, she is someone who could have been on the same level as Kazuki is she worked hard for that. 

In their situation, that end was excellent. They were facing against the world, losses were expected from the beginning and thinking they could have a fairy tale "forever happy ending" is being extremely optimistic. They had to leave their friends behind, but in the end they still got each other, they had protection from Ichigaya and Makina had her bakery, something that she dreamed of having one day. 

This is not pointless! This is the whole point of analyzing stuff, to have a discussion about it. As I said in the introduction image, discussion is what I'm mostly aiming to generate here.

There was actually no reason to use spoilers from the beginning, this thread is made to be discussed with details from the whole novel, anyone here is warned of this fact since I wrote it in the introduction to the thread. I'm saying this but it's only theory, the only facts we have are that killing her will take you to the bad end and not killing her will take you to the good end. If you choose to kill her, you end up dying, since you simply charge against the enemies without proper planning, it's natural to expect bad things. Not killing her is indeed questionable, but if you think about it from Kiyoka's point of view, it's something scary enough to stop her from doing anything. She didn't knew if Yuuji survived in the end, but she was scared. The one who was protecting Makina was a man able to infiltrate into the Irisu's main building all by himself, and that same man was the first person to ever hit her, a woman who had never been beaten before, not even by her own parents. Kiyoka discarded people as if they were nothing, but for someone who grew up like her, considering the first man to ever touch her aggressively a "nothing" was not a possibility, therefore encouraging her not to chase Makina anymore.

That is a plot thing. When you read a novel, consider the different endings as different universes. Also, doing it with a corpse won't make you pregnant, that's for sure.

We are not given info about JB's thoughts during the bad end. If you think about it, she was even good enough to take Makina in and have her work as 9029, not only to give the girl income, but that would also allow her to monitor Makina's actions and protect her in a way. If you wanna extend it to the whole route, JB is a leader. Her duty was to follow the orders she was given and that is what she did, personal feelings are something they're taught to discard in that job - This was said during the common route as well. 

Makina indeed didn't had a good way with sports, but her sight was perfect, I re-read the whole novel not that long ago and there was no mention whatsoever to her eyesight. Yuuji himself noticed that the girl actually had talent for sniping and personally trained her. As for sports, there was probably no real need for her to develop that much in that area, since the identity of 9029 is actually something not revealed to the other workers of Ichigaya, so she could only do the job from the sniping position. And remember, Makina is a prodigy, she is someone who could have been on the same level as Kazuki is she worked hard for that. 

In their situation, that end was excellent. They were facing against the world, losses were expected from the beginning and thinking they could have a fairy tale "forever happy ending" is being extremely optimistic. They had to leave their friends behind, but in the end they still got each other, they had protection from Ichigaya and Makina had her bakery, something that she dreamed of having one day. 

This is not pointless! This is the whole point of analyzing stuff, to have a discussion about it. As I said in the introduction image, discussion is what I'm mostly aiming to generate here.

So,Makina ending up pregnant in the Bad Ending is still a mystery,or a plothole maybe? This is the only thing that's confusing me. Why didn't she end up pregnant in the Good Ending and why did she end up pregnant in the bad ending?

Humans can't be taught to discard personal feelings, no matter how hard someone tries. For example, didn't Yuuji decide not to kill Kiyoka because of her relationship of mother and daughter with Makina? JB should  have reacted to Yuuji's death in the Bad Ending (have at least gotten a line where she expressed how she felt,or something like that).

Makina's eyesight wasn't bad?Hmmm,I should re-read Grisaia,since I'm missing something.

Ok, I take your point that she is being monitored by JB and that she doesn't needs to develop in sports area,but what if,while in sniping position, an enemy who was closer to her, saw her and Makina has to either run away or defend herself in a hand-to-hand combat? Also,she's

exposing herself to constant danger while working as 9029 (no to mention that she kills people,something that isn't good at all), so even if JB is monitoring her, it's still way too dangerous.

So,Makina ending up pregnant in the Bad Ending is still a mystery,or a plothole maybe? This is the only thing that's confusing me. Why didn't she end up pregnant in the Good Ending and why did she end up pregnant in the bad ending?

For the same reason in Yumiko's 'bad' ending she has a son rather than a daughter like in her good ending: the writers.

Humans can't be taught to discard personal feelings, no matter how hard someone tries. For example, didn't Yuuji decide not to kill Kiyoka because of her relationship of mother and daughter with Makina? JB should  have reacted to Yuuji's death in the Bad Ending (have at least gotten a line where she expressed how she felt,or something like that).

Makina's eyesight wasn't bad?Hmmm,I should re-read Grisaia,since I'm missing something.

Ok, I take your point that she is being monitored by JB and that she doesn't needs to develop in sports area,but what if,while in sniping position, an enemy who was closer to her, saw her and Makina has to either run away or defend herself in a hand-to-hand combat? Also,she's

exposing herself to constant danger while working as 9029 (no to mention that she kills people,something that isn't good at all), so even if JB is monitoring her, it's still way too dangerous.

I don't think it's a plot-hole. Decisions are there to change the outcome of the game, consider it the decision of the writers to add some more "misfortune" to the girl.

He mentions that even if Kiyoka isn't worthy being called a mother, she still is one. He fails to kill her, but it wasn't because Makina was her daughter, it was because he remembered that he couldn't kill anymore.

They can. It's not like there'll be literally no feelings left, but hiding and suppressing them are within human capacity. She could have had a line in the bad end regarding Yuuji's death, it wasn't something that would have a big impact on the story focus itself, so saying she should have is a bit too much. It would have been nice, I agree with that, but I also enjoyed the absence of that.

If you find it, please tell me where that's said. 

It is dangerous, but her life was something that already should have been taken at that point, even if she's doing something bad that risks her life, she's still alive. This wasn't a story where you could expect a forever-happy ending, shit was fated to happen given the situation, this was actually pretty nice compared to what I expected. Snipers are not positioned somewhere people can easily access, actually, they're positioned in places people shouldn't even be able to notice until it's too late. Besides, she managed to almost take down two armed agents by herself even with her physic and with only a brief training on self-defense, she wouldn't be in the best situation facing someone hand-to-hand but she'd still probably do better than some trained agents. Hell, she even had her sliding dash that surprised Yuuji himself.

Y U NO DO SACHI'S ROUTE YET

Great job!  I don't have the time to fully read the entire post, as I'm multitasking right now, but you've piqued my interest, and I shall read every word.  I do love me some Kajitsu discussion  :3

I'll probably do Sachi last, it's my favorite route so I feel like finishing this with it. Thanks! I'll be waiting to read your thoughts about it.