SC2013 - Vax's Blog [Kanji Stage]

Vax

Hey everyone. I've stolen Tay's design because I'm about as creative as a potato.

So, this is my second attempt at learning Kanji. The last time I tried to tackle this beast got to around the 1100 mark and decided I could take a break for a day. The problem was that day turned into about a year and so all that time I spent learning went to waste. :(

I hope that having to report my progress to you guys (or lack of) every few days will stop me from thinking the lethal "I'll skip just one day".

Goal 1: I want to learn the Kanji, Kana, and grammar for Japanese in 2013.

Goal 2: I want to read at least part of a visual novel in Japanese in 2013

Study Time: I'm getting up at about 8am, grabbing some breakfast and then learning the new Kanji for the day. I'll then do something else for about an hour, come back and hit Anki. I'll use Tay's advice and timebox the reviews throughout the day when I don't have the time in the morning or when the review pile is looking scary.

Where I'm at right now: I already know Kana and I'm currently on Day 3 and I've been doing 25 new Kanji a day. I felt I could squeeze in a few more but I know how quickly the reviews can pile up so I'm sticking to 25 a day. if I REALLY want to study more I can always do some reviews.

I'm aiming to post about once a week. If I hit any kind of milestone you may hear from me a bit earlier. ;)

Day 7

I'm 265 kanji in with no days missed and everything seems good at the moment. I found the first 200 really easy because I somehow remembered them from when I last attempted to climb Mt. Kanji. I guess that goes to prove the method works.

I'll keep aiming for 25 a day (I sometimes do some more due to the Anki deck) but if I feel it getting a bit much I'll just reduce it to about 15. I'd much rather go slow than risk burning out again... that ain't fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Way to go, sir! I hope to see an update soon, but it sounds like you're doing well. If you start having a crazy schedule, I'd recommend scaling back to 10 (goes almost instantly) -- which is what I've been doing lately -- but if you can keep up the 25, more power to you : )