Saya No Uta:Extended Thoughts and Questions (SPOILERS)

babiker

so, i finished saya no uta today, and man… what a story. from reading a few posts here and there, I thought it was going to be a story that was all-dependent on the h-scenes (which I regularly skip).  The only thing that made me give it a try was a YouTube review, which mentioned that it was a lot deeper, if you can look behind the bloody full stuff in it. And boy… was I in for a ride.

Well for one thing, the horror is as real as everybody say’s, if not more. If you don’t want scary stuff, you might want to stay clear from this one…

As for the most question that intrigued me; the question of love: is it really a good thing to protect the ones you love, regardless of whom they are? When do you know you, or they, have crossed the line? This VN sure did put in quite a different way…

And, guys, for those of you who have tried it, and even if you haven't; out of the two choices that were given to you in the game, which would you truly and sincerely choose? to live in a mad world with a cute girl, or a sane world with a nasty monster… Even if the story tried to convince me other wise, I’d still go for the later. but I wanna know your opinions.

And, for those of you who believe that this story is impossible to understand without the h, mind telling me why? Even though I skipped it, I still felt like I got the hole picture. And please don’t turn this into an h-scene argument. all we need is another thread were everybody is calling each other pervert. what I’m asking for is clear: for those of you who believe the h is necessary to understand this particular story, I would like to here your reasons.

Over all, awesome story. As the guy in the review said, it’s really dark, with rape, murder, cannibalism, and all kinds of horrors… but if your willing to look behind that, you’ll find a deep, touching, and over all amazing story.

I wouldn't say that the story is impossible to understand without the H-scenes, but they are far more important to the story than H-scenes normally are. I mean, there's an H-scene which is a threesome with a mentally broken sex slave, just that fact in and of itself tells you quite a bit.

And the choice isn't "mad world + cute girl" or "sane world + monster", Fuminori never actually sees Saya the way others do. So the choice is more like "mad world with your beloved" or "sane world without your beloved". And I am generally opposed to change, so I'd probably pick the former.

As for the most question that intrigued me; the question of love: is it really a good thing to protect the ones you love, regardless of whom they are? When do you know you, or they, have crossed the line? This VN sure did put in quite a different way…

And, guys, for those of you who have tried it, and even if you haven't; out of the two choices that were given to you in the game, which would you truly and sincerely choose? to live in a mad world with a cute girl, or a sane world with a nasty monster… Even if the story tried to convince me other wise, I’d still go for the later. but I wanna know your opinions.

Saya no Uta copes with a wide variety of disturbing subjects and that's what the author went for I believe.

Rape, pedophilia, murder, slavery and brainwashing. You'll find anything to some extent.

However the question isn't about living with a "cute girl".

It's a question of sanity.

You can't possibly live in such a world on your own without going insane, it's just not possible.

However, the Main Character found someone right before turning completely mad and fell in love with her.

It's not a question of cute or not, it's a question of company, of loneliness. They got closer to each other because the only had each other.

The longer the amount of time passed, the stronger they were bounded.

The first choice is a choice of love.

Love is different from any other kind of emotion. It's much stronger.

Some people would sacrifice anything for the people they love, some wouldn't.

As for the H scenes, it's to make the game the most disturbing you possibly can.

Without the H-scene it would have been regular horror.

Rape, Hentai takes that to the next level. 

It's not hentai to fap (if you did you are a freak).

I'd like to add a quote which illustrate the game perfectly for me :

"Those who believe in the worth of meaningless things like human wisdom and valor--- are those lucky who have not looked into the Abyss" - Kouji

I would choose a first, world sucks either way, but with first option you at least have someone dear to you near you.

Many people say that a true ending in this VN was a bad ending, but I disagree and think that it was one of the best, happiest and most romantic endings that I know of.

I loved this VN because it's psychology and romance and it's one of my top 5 VNs.

And yea, I think that H is totally trivial in this VN as well as in all others.

I wouldn't say that the story is impossible to understand without the H-scenes, but they are far more important to the story than H-scenes normally are. I mean, there's an H-scene which is a threesome with a mentally broken sex slave, just that fact in and of itself tells you quite a bit.

And the choice isn't "mad world + cute girl" or "sane world + monster", Fuminori never actually sees Saya the way others do. So the choice is more like "mad world with your beloved" or "sane world without your beloved". And I am generally opposed to change, so I'd probably pick the former.

That doesn't mean that his view is wrong true.

Saya no Uta copes with a wide variety of disturbing subjects and that's what the author went for I believe.

Rape, pedophilia, murder, slavery and brainwashing. You'll find anything to some extent.

You can't possibly live in such a world on your own without going insane, it's just not possible.

However, the Main Character found someone right before turning completely mad and fell in love with her.

It's not a question of cute or not, it's a question of company, of loneliness. They got closer to each other because the only had each other.

The longer the amount of time passed, the stronger they were bounded.

The first choice is a choice of love.

Love is different from any other kind of emotion. It's much stronger.

Some people would sacrifice anything for the people they love, some wouldn't.

As for the H scenes, it's to make the game the most disturbing you possibly can.

Without the H-scene it would have been regular horror.

Rape, Hentai takes that to the next level. 

It's not hentai to fap (if you did you are a freak).

I'd like to add a quote which illustrate the game perfectly for me :

"Those who believe in the worth of meaningless things like human wisdom and valor--- are those lucky who have not looked into the Abyss" - Kouji

For me there was noting disturbing in this VN to begin with. Or rather I could say that I don't find anything to be really disturbing in this world. But I still loved this VN so if you think that a main point of this VN is to be as disturbing as posible I think you missed a point.

Well, i suppose it's a matter of perspective, though the way you put it sounds more accurate.

Yes, but he was given two ways to end his insanity: continue living with saya, or return to how everything was. that's the choice I'm talking about. even if he loved her, would he still be willing to give up all his past friends up for her, when he has the ability to turn hes friends into what they used to be,  normal humans?

For me there was noting disturbing in this VN to begin with. Or rather I could say that I don't find anything to be really disturbing in this world. But I still loved this VN so if you think that a main point of this VN is to be as disturbing as posible I think you missed a point.

0_0. like, nothing? wow, I'm impressed.

I would choose a first, world sucks either way, but with first option you at least have someone dear to you near you.

so the normal world, when he's friends looked human, sucked?... ok, mabey...

Ah, heh... Song of Saya... the one game that I try to stay away from because I'm a mouse when it comes to horror. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to sleep for a week if I ever played that game.  :unsure:

cant blame you man, i mean i didn't even realize Lucia's route in rewrite was supposed to be scary, but when it came to this game... it hit the spot real good... or should i say bad? either way, its probably the most horror filled story i have ever read.

Yes, but he was given two ways to end his insanity: continue living with saya, or return to how everything was. that's the choice I'm talking about. even if he loved her, would he still be willing to give up all his past friends up for her, when he has the ability to turn hes friends into what they used to be,  normal humans?

Returning to how everything was with all those people having died around him is a stupid choice in itself. Besides, I don't think it's a very strong love when you can't give up your friends for it if you know for sure you can be with the one you love that way (and the other person's not forcing you).

Ah, heh... Song of Saya... the one game that I try to stay away from because I'm a mouse when it comes to horror. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to sleep for a week if I ever played that game.  :unsure:

You'll be fine! I have mouse in my name and I got through it just fine B).

Thinking about it, you guys are right--the H scenes are indeed well integrated into the tale. A succinct and memorable experience :).

so the normal world, when he's friends looked human, sucked?... ok, mabey...

Yea I think that that kind of normal, average life with nothing special in it suck, some people might be able to enjoy that kind of life but not me.

Yup, noting at all.

cant blame you man, i mean i didn't even realize Lucia's route in rewrite was supposed to be scary, but when it came to this game... it hit the spot real good... or should i say bad? either way, its probably the most horror filled story i have ever read.

It was supposed to be scary? :blink:  You sure someone didn't troll you about that?

It was supposed to be scary? :blink:  You sure someone didn't troll you about that?

well at least at the beginning. i think....

B) good one! :D

It was supposed to be scary?  :blink:  You sure someone didn't troll you about that?

No, as stated above, I'm just a mouse when it comes to anything resembling horror.  :wacko:

Yeah, Babiker got that from a youtube review of Rewrite I made

No, I know myself; I would not get through that game just fine. 

(I mean, chirst, I got nightmares from freaking Luigi's Mansion as a kid....)

There's a difference between being scary and being creepy, and Saya no Uta goes for the later rather than the former. It doesn't attempt to scare you with gruesome scenery, monsters and death - instead, it makes you cope with it. When the story starts, you might think that everything is gross and horrible, and you want nothing more but to get away from it. But just like Fuminori, you gradually get used to the macabre by the constant exposure, and by the time the choice presents itself to escape the hell, it is very well possible that you don't even want to take it anymore - I know that I did not. And that's the truly creepy thing about the story in my opinion; you get used to the grotesque so much that by the end, what the protagonist does seems perfectly right. After all, it's for Saya, right?

There's a difference between being scary and being creepy, and Saya no Uta goes for the later rather than the former. It doesn't attempt to scare you with gruesome scenery, monsters and death - instead, it makes you cope with it. When the story starts, you might thing that everything is gross and horrible, and you want nothing more but to get away from it. But just like Fuminori, you gradually get used to the macabre by the constant exposure, and by the time the choice presents itself to escape the hell, it is very well possible that you don't even want to take it anymore - I know that I did not. And that's the truly creepy thing about the story in my opinion; you get used to the grotesque so much that by the end, what the protagonist does seems perfectly right. After all, it's for Saya, right?

Your so right! i remember at the beginning, when i had to choose the option of "obscure grotesque images" just to get through the dam thing, but by the end, i didn't really care ether way. i just got use to it. creepy...

For me there was noting disturbing in this VN to begin with. Or rather I could say that I don't find anything to be really disturbing in this world. 

It'd be interesting to know how that came about.  I'm the same way, but that's mostly because of stuff I got exposed to early in life.  Watching what used to be people get dragged ashore covered in 2nd and 3rd degree burns when you're 6 years old tends to leave an impression that is tough to top.

And that's the truly creepy thing about the story in my opinion; you get used to the grotesque so much that by the end, what the protagonist does seems perfectly right. After all, it's for Saya, right?

Indeed...

In real life, most of us would find the act of rape and cannibalism to be atrocious and inexcusable. To find these things as such is the result of a life time of societal mental training, essentially it's the result of the morals we've been taught from birth.

Yet in Saya no Uta, we're put into a situation in which even though we are against these things to begin with... we can somehow find them justifiable by the end.

Did anyone actually root against Saya and Fuminori at the end? I know I didn't... and that scares me. In the context of the game, my morals were bent and twisted until I was on the opposite side of issues I've never even considered debatable. What I think the game was going for was to show people how easily our views and beliefs can be changed.

In the eyes of Fuminori, the immoral became moral, and the insane became sane. It's an excellent way of showing how sanity is, in fact, subjective to the viewer. And given the right stimulus, anyone can be driven into thinking monstrous acts are normal. That is the true terror this game seeks to inspire in my opinion.

Did anyone actually root against Saya and Fuminori at the end? I know I didn't... and that scares me. In the context of the game, my morals were bent and twisted until I was on the opposite side of issues I've never even considered debatable. What I think the game was going for was to show people how easily our views and beliefs can be changed.

well, i sure as hell rooted against him. in fact, during my first round i actually

chose the ending were kouji kills him, and found it to be very satisfying. i could even say i liked it better than the one were saya turns into the butterfly thingie.

I suppose it comes down to how powerfully your belief in your moral code is. If its strong enough, nothing can change it. though i will admit this game succeeded in making me get use to guts and entrails a lot more than I use to be... stuff that i would have never contemplated even looking at before, I now stare at without blinking and eye. This game has fully convinced me that VN's have a much higher success rate at changing the audience than any other medium i know of, whether it be movies, video games or novels.

Dam, its like the more i talk about this game, the creepier it gets...

It's not as gory as I thought it would be. Even Sweet Pool, another Nitro+ game (Nitro Chiral to be exact) is more gross and equally as unpleasant as Saya No Uta. And that's without getting into games like Euphoria, the upcoming Fraternite, Swan Song, Kara No Shoujo or Cartagra.

That's not saying it's a tame game. It's far from it.

Yes, one of the points of the VN was to make it as disturbing as possible.

But Hopefully your read the rest of my post and learned that it wasn't the only one.

The VN raises many moral issues.

What can be justified ? Was is morality ? Is it only subjective ? What is right ? What is wrong ?

And I shortened the list quite a bit.

The Vn makes you think, and to do that it has to be disturbing. If you hit someone with a rock he'll be forced to acknowledge it.

But Hopefully your read the rest of my post and learned that it wasn't the only one.

What can be justified ? Was is morality ? Is it only subjective ? What is right ? What is wrong ?

The Vn makes you think, and to do that it has to be disturbing. If you hit someone with a rock he'll be forced to acknowledge it.

This ^

This is exactly what Saya no Uta is all about and why I like it so much. 

It's not as gory as I thought it would be. Even Sweet Pool, another Nitro+ game (Nitro Chiral to be exact) is more gross and equally as unpleasant as Saya No Uta. And that's without getting into games like Euphoria, the upcoming Fraternite, Swan Song, Kara No Shoujo or Cartagra.

That's not saying it's a tame game. It's far from it.

Well, with Chiral yaoi stuff that would be already more uncomfortable to me than anything else aside, I don't think comparing Saya no Uta to titles from ClockUp, which are made for a very specific audience to fap to rather than disturb them, is really fair. Besides, it is the philosophy that's supposed to creep you out, not the imagery.

And yeah, Kara no Shoujo can be more disturbing just because how grounded it is compared to Saya, but again, different kind of disturbing.

If that is what you wanted to say with your first post I think you chose a rather bad words to express it, at least I failed to understand that you ware pointing out to that.

And while I agree that those are some points of VN as well as many others I disagree with your last statement that in order to think about it you have to find it  disturbing.

And I would also like to say that morals are subjective as a fact and that this VN is just showing that as part of it's story. As a proof from real life take an instant my country ware the most taboo unmoral thing you could do is being gay witch goes against common morals far more than killing and raping while in most countries it is not considered to be unmoral at all. I myself find most morals both from my country and others to be rather stupid.

If that is what you wanted to say with your first post I think you chose a rather bad words to express it, at least I failed to understand that you ware pointing out to that.

And while I agree that those are some points of VN as well as many others I disagree with your last statement that in order to think about it you have to find it  disturbing.

And I would also like to say that morals are subjective as a fact and that this VN is just showing that as part of it's story. As a proof from real life take an instant my country ware the most taboo unmoral thing you could do is being gay witch goes against common morals far more than killing and raping while in most countries it is not considered to be unmoral at all. I myself find most morals both from my country and others to be rather stupid.

I prefer to be an observer most of the time, but this post is too disturbing to ignore. Can you tell me what part of world you live in that being gay is worse than murder and rape? are you sure you're not spouting some random nonsense? And where the hell in this world that murder and rape is accepted by moral? Last but not least, i'm sorry if somehow i misunderstood your english is worse than my third grader cousin and i am doing best to comprehend it.

Morals are subjective but are often turned into something that is just "common sense". But in any case you have to find extreme examples to get people to question their morals. I think this is what maefdomn also meant though. Like in Saya the question "Who is actually the bad guy?" could rise. If you don't pick Saya it would go against some common morals, and I don't think many people actually saw Saya as a bad person at all.

Taking your example it could be something like, person 1 is getting abused or raped or something terrible but a gay person saves his life. After that the gay person is shot by the police for being gay but the people who made person 1 go through a terrible experience just return to their homes like nothing happened. This could make person 1 doubt his morals.