Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai! Wanko's route opinions. (spoilers)

So I finished Wanko's route a while ago and have yet to do her after story, but I wanna talk specifically about her main route and what people think of it. This topic will have spoilers for Wanko's route obviously, and maybe spoilers for other routes as well, so at least finish Wanko's route before reading this.

What are your opinions on Wanko's route?

I personally enjoyed it more than the other girls route. The other girls route sort of ended in a crazy "everything turns out alright for everyone" way. Sometimes the routes do so in a very........... odd way.

What I liked about Wanko's route is that she tried her hardest to achieve her dream, harder than probably anyone we could meet. She poured her heart and soul into being an assistant to her sister and ultimately doesn't reach it.

It is heartbreaking, especially the scene where she cries after learning what happened in the tournament.

You could argue that it is Chris's fault that Wanko wasn't able to achieve her dream, but 1: Chris didn't know what she was doing and B: Wanko would've still lost against her sister. Wanko just didn't have the talent to a be a martial artist worthy of being an assistant to a master.

Now on to what I liked about this route. As I said, this is the only route in the game where a character has a dream and it isn't fulfilled by the end of it. At least not her original dream. Plus this route has a great moment between Wanko and Momoyo. Where the characters and the readers see Momoyo cry for the first time. It shows just how much Momoyo loves her sister and how this choice was probably the hardest shes ever had to make in her life.

What I liked about her route was it sort of had a Clerks 2 vibe to it (if you haven't seen that movie go see it. Doesn't matter if you haven't seen the original before you see it. I didn't and still enjoyed it.) since the characters realize that "This may not be the greatest life on earth but its pretty good."

Sometimes in life there are battles you are not meant to win. Sometimes you give it your all and still lose. Its heartbreaking and can even be traumatizing but there is always hope and maybe through the struggles a new path opens up.

In short, that's what I liked about Wanko's route. It was the most memorable for being harsh but honest.

Your thoughts?

Even though Wanko's not my favorite character, I have to say it was the best translated route for me.

I think most people who have read it will agree when you say it's heartbreaking and of course, that includes me. It's by far the most emotional heroine route up 'til now and I think it tries to give a message to the readers/players, the message being that you won't be able to reach your goals all the time but that doesn't mean you have to give up, you have to keep trying until you either achieve what you want or you realize you should be doing something else. (What did I just write?)

I believe this route earned Chris some unjustified hate from some readers/players.

Among the translated content, it was the more emotional route. To be honest, I'm not sure how I'd rank the heroine's routes against one another. I don't think Wanko's was necessarily my favorite, but I do have greater criticisms of the other routes. It was definitely more meaningful.

What I liked about her route was it sort of had a Clerks 2 vibe to it (if you haven't seen that movie go see it. Doesn't matter if you haven't seen the original before you see it. I didn't and still enjoyed it.) since the characters realize that "This may not be the greatest life on earth but its pretty good."

I see where you coming from with that, that's not actually too strange of a parallel. If you haven't yet, I'd recommend watching Clerks. It's the stronger film of the two and is among some of my favorite movies.

I have seen Clerks since then and I still enjoy the second one. The second one felt more like a resolution to their story while the first just felt like "Well, that just happened. Moving on."

Plus I can relate to the attitude at the end of the second one of like "Yeah we're probably not gonna make a million, get the pretty girls, the fast cars, but what we ended up with is still pretty sweet."

It comes from the fact that Wanko is the heroine that Majikoi damages most. I love it when that happens. You grow tired of characters just 'winning' from sheer effort or raw persistence after failing once or twice (sometimes none at all). Here, not only does Wanko fail, she also gets denied of her hopes and dreams. Unlike the premise of most other Majikoi routes that revolve around "keep trying and you'll get there", her route touches on "sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on."

Wanko is also ultimately the most fragile character of Majikoi despite her carefree and tenacious exterior. She is also the weakest of the five main heroines. Seeing her very determined to push her limits was very heartwarming, and it gave me the thought that the route was about to build up to her proving everyone wrong by surpassing her own physical strength. This may be the only route where that wouldn't happen. 

I may be overrating it a bit but it carries emotional weight rivaled with most other visual novels out there, not only within Majikoi standards. Other than that Wanko was a pretty interesting character that kept me intrigued throughout the route, but the route itself has the most amazing premise and may the the only one where the heroine actually falls and picks herself up.

HOWEVER, I have not played Miyako's route, though I really hope the story messes her up a bit because the more pain a heroine has to endure, the more relatable she gets and the more sympathy you feel towards her (i.e. more emotional)