my thoughts about G-Senjou

hussien-11

please don't read if you didn't finish the game

hi guys, I've finished playing G-Senjou no Maou, and felt that I want to share my thoughts about the game, it was a very emotional experience for me, this is - in my opinion - the power of the japanese entertainment, sure .. there is better stories ... better written or acted, but how many stories can touch you the way this game do ? how many stories can move your heart as this one ?  this is a story that almost anyone can relate to, it's not just a Thriller or Yakuza Drama, it's a story about revenge, money, salvation, love, courage, relationship, family, it's about the battle between your ideals and the reality you live, it's a great human drama that carries the writer's sincere thoughts and beliefs.

The second Chapter and Tsubaki's Route

( me ? or your family ? )

one of the best chapters ( actually, all of them are excellent ) in the game, escpecially with the great character development, not only with Tsubaki but also Kyousuke! his life was always hard, he was very poor and suffered greatly from this with his mother, it's only natural for him to grow as a realistic person, even cold, he value's money very much and to him money gives you power and everything you want in your life. more importantly.. no one can humiliate you when you are rich, you don't have to bow your head to anyone.

well... can you say that he's wrong ? most people consider money to be the most important thing in their lives, but Tsubaki is different, she's a naive and pure person because her family was lovable so she don't know anything about the hardships of life, she don't know the importance of money, but this is what makes her a unique person... Tsubaki is pure, honest girl. anyone of us can take a lesson from her like kyousuke did when he bowed infront of gonzou to show him his gratefulness. the beauty of life doesn't just lie in better clothes or being a powerful person, you can also feel more beauty when you are able to forgive a person that insulted or hurted you from your honest heart.

this is a topic that people will have different opinions about it, but is money everything in life ? I, as a person, don't think so, because there is things very dear to me that money can't replace.

finally, I will not forget to point out the brilliant storytelling, and how maou reacted when he met Tsubaki and what he said to her: "I will make you human", it was very fun to watch Tsubaki seeks the desires of life that she so long ignored.

The Third Chapter and Kanon's Route

Azai Kanon's story is one of failure and success, I can honsestly say that her mother is a very common case in the middle east, where every parent wants his son or daughter to be perfect, or at least the perfect image of what he or she wanted to be, and because there is nothing perfect in our lives, children became distanced from their parents, they simply don't understand each other. but there is something very important to learn from Kanon! in the end .. a mother is a mother, and a father is father, a mother is someone who is ready to sacrifice her own life for your sake. kanon became able to respect her mother, and accepted her with her faults, kanon also realised that the world doesn't revolve around her, she became less selfish, and a better person.

I would also like to praise the writing that described her latest performance, what a wonderful storytelling!

The fourth Chapter and Tok... Mizuha's Route

( Aren't we ... Identical ? )

I know that the general opinion about this chapter that it's the weakest one in the game. to me, this is a story that I will not forget, and one of the game's strongest parts. I was ... lucky ? when I played this chapter because I finished the main events by mistake before playing mizuha's chapter lol. anyway, what I gained by this is the understanding of Tokita Yuki's character, I understood her suffering, her reasons, her personality, what a poor girl... so, what she did in mizuha's route impacted me heavily, this brilliant girl gave her sweat younger sister everything, she even sacrificed her feelings for kyousuke for her sake! there is one person in the world that Tokita Yuki can't hate, and that person is her younger sister, Mizuha Shiratori.

Yuki's conversation with Maou was one of the best that I've ever read! every sentence, every word had a meaning and was crafted carefully, and the battle to have the lead in the conversation between them was amazing.

my favorite scene ( maybe in the whole game ) is when Tokita finally meets her little sister again, her sister acts like she is still the young cute girl that she always was. Tokita lost weight, she speaks with a different tone, she know that she will be catched soon, but she wanted to reassure herself about her precious sister.

Mizuha Shiratori was overshadowed heavily by her brilliant sister, but she learnt something very valuable that can change a person's life, she learnt how to be a considerate person, and how selecting your words carefully can change others too!

The Fifth Chapter

again, the general opinion about this chapter that it's the best one in the game, but I didn't like it as much as the other chapters, there is - in my opinion - some weak points. for example, Usami Haru's development ? it was not as deep as the other girls, and I felt that she and kyousuke did nothing in this chapter other than running.

the strong point to me was Maou himself, his story, intentions, beliefs, he was not a pure evil at all, his actions were driven by his desire to save his father. sure, what he did was wrong, as he killed and decieved countless people, but he believe that what a country did with his own father was also wrong and unfair. didn't we agree that nothing in life is perfect ? the law is also not perfect.

’Maou's plan was very well done and convincing, it's hard to write a terrorist act of this scale, there is some weakness about how the japanese police and goverment reacted ( they would've taken an extreme measures with any means necessary ). anyway, Maou was a great character, a true twisted genius, and his final test caused a tragedy as he turned another person into a killer successfully!

this is a game that I will not soon forget.

Overall it was alright but I loved the ending. 

It was painful to read Kyousuke lie to everyone about how he felt and the realisation that his daughter bears the same curse that Haru and himself.

Glad you enjoyed it though!

The usual criticism of G-Senjou is that the "Maou isn't Kyousuke" reveal is an asspull and that Maou's convenient disappearance in the side routes makes no sense. Did you feel that way?

Also just curious, have you read Sharin no Kuni?

i never understood why Kyouske conveniently got headaches or work when Maou was on the action ;d

THE UGLY;

Kyousuke Azai's personality put me off, and I don't think his backstory justifies that at all. I get that he has a certain superiority complex and is highly intelligent, but he's such a dick that he's almost difficult for me to sympathize with. Had he a little more humanity, the game would be more tolerable.

More...

Kanon's resolution with his mother didn't make any sense. Gonzou's death could've been more weightful. None of the BGM really stood out. And (this might be the translation) several explanation scenes are needlessly drawn out it makes Kyousuke, Usami, and Tokita sound like a smartass.

THE AWESOME:

This is highly subjective. Tsubaki was my best segment, in that the character evolves to the worse under the influence of Kyousuke Azai, and you get to see it slowly unfold. It was the most uncomfortable to play, thus has that emotional impact I was looking for. Best route still falls with the true one (Usami)

I might also be in the minority when I say I loved the extended ending. Didn't feel forced like some say. It was a great punishment for Azai, it shows how he has evolved and provides him with some sort of closure.

I don't like often, but this is well deserved.

Thank you for giving a more devellopped impression of a game. Thank you ;_;

I do agree that Tsubaki's story was very well though.

Maybe not the best storywise but Tsubaki as a character was much more complex and can lead to many questions regarding humans.

As you said, she's pure, inoccent and is oblivious and the dangerous world around her.

She has the attitude of a child when you first think of it.

It's like watching a kid learn. She learns about love, hardships, responsability, choices.

Her live may have been sunny and peaceful, it's not something that will be forever. And Maou is the one to operate that change.

As you said, a strong emphasis is put on the desires that appear in the character. Desire for clothes, for money, for anything leads her away from the things that really counted for her, which is her familly, her peaceful nest.

But every character in this game can be analysed the same way.

Gonzou was a truly interesting character for example (in my opinion).

Kanon's story was too classic for me too appreciate it fully. The parents relfecting their desires/ambition on their children is a subject that is overused. Thus, making something that stands out from it is incredibly difficult and I don't think they managed it (It was good though).

Regarding Mizuha... I don't remember her route ._. at all.

But it don't have and bad thoughs about it so I guess it was good ._.

As for the true route, which is centered on Maou, i found it really interesting.

I think having a short episode presenting us his past was a really good narrative choice.

It helps us understand.

Something that I personnaly try to do as much as I can when I read VN is thinking about "What if it was me ?". Trying to think where X character comes from, his experiences.

And that was very well done in G-Senjou.

(Little rushed but i'll finish later, maybe ...)

The usual criticism of G-Senjou is that the "Maou isn't Kyousuke" reveal is an asspull and that Maou's convenient disappearance in the side routes makes no sense. Did you feel that way?

Over the course of the whole game they indicated and hinted that Maou might be Kyousuke, Therefore, when the moment came I couldn't say I was to surprised to find out that assumption was mistaken. Actually, all I did was use my personal rule: "If my deprived brain can see the plot twist coming, then it's probably a double plot twist".

That means, they hint that something might be up so obviously, that you just know it can't be that simple.

Regarding his disappearance in the side routes.

If all hell broke loose while Kyousuke was too busy flirting, we'd get stuck on a bad end, and you wouldn't want that, would you?

He probably just phoned his dead brother and told him to hold the horses, we'd arrive at the true route quickly enough anyways. 

Regarding his disappearance in the side routes.

If all hell broke loose while Kyousuke was too busy flirting, we'd get stuck on a bad end, and you wouldn't want that, would you?

He probably just phoned his dead brother and told him to hold the horses, we'd arrive at the true route quickly enough anyways. 

I think on tvtropes they explain it as Kyohei backing off for his brother's sake if he hooks up with someone other than his despised enemy.

I think on tvtropes they explain it as Kyohei backing off for his brother's sake if he hooks up with someone other than his despised enemy.

They can explain it however they want. The point here is, the visual novel makes no effort of its own to do so.

He brought a whole town (or was it something smaller? Can't recall) to ruin and destroyed it., he killed endless amounts of people and he'd stop his plans because "Kyousuke found someone to spend his life with"? Somehow, I don't buy it.

They can explain it however they want. The point here is, the visual novel makes no effort of its own to do so.

He brought a whole town (or was it something smaller? Can't recall) to ruin and destroyed it., he killed endless amounts of people and he'd stop his plans because "Kyousuke found someone to spend his life with"? Somehow, I don't buy it.

could be he had that amount of humanity left orr it also could be Usami caught him herself

All of the routes is enjoyable but out of the side routes I like Tsubaki's route the most, hell there is a lot of drama going on there. I especially like the part when Kyousuke brought Tsubaki to his room for the last time and then I thought "finally, it will end with a happy ending" but then Kyousuke whisper to Tsubaki and said "Let's break up". I don't really like Kanon's route, dunno why though,  but Mizuha's route had more impact for me, especially the "reunion scene". And there's also no some kind of epilogue in Kanon's route, though I understand that it is not possible with them being brother and sister in name only and all, but I still want to see how older/mature Kanon look like  :ph34r:

I remember in Kanon's route, Maou said something like "He has discovered love", so I guess in the side route the thing that stop him is the love for his brother and maybe that the events that happen in the true route send him past the brink of no return where even his love for his brother couldn't bring him back. Just my opinion though.

I remember in Kanon's route, Maou said something like "He has discovered love", so I guess in the side route the thing that stop him is the love for his brother and maybe that the events that happen in the true route send him past the brink of no return where even his love for his brother couldn't bring him back. Just my opinion though.

Well, I didn't remember any such thing. If I knew the context and the timing of the quote perhaps I'd be able to speculate.

As is, I'll just say that Maou had a spare heart stored away somewhere to put in use whenever Kyousuke fell in love.

Did you feel that way?

I noticed it, but I think that the character's routes were introduced somehow like a side stories not related to the main story, so the story here revolved about them and their development and kyousuke stopped to care about maou and haru, it's not that he disappeared, it's just that kyousuke didn't care anymore. also, it's very hard to make maou appear from the writer's perspective, because he would've to give him another conclusion like what he did with Azai Gonzou.

Also just curious, have you read Sharin no Kuni?

not yet, but I hope to do soon, is it as good as maou ?

There's just something wrong with loving and always forgiving your abusive parents just because they gave birth to you - which is why I hated the Kanon chapter.

there is no love in the world that's as strong as the love of a mother. maybe Kanon's mother lacked communicational skills and proper understanding for her child's needs, but she still tried to give her everything, even stating that she would die if her daughter failed. is it really wrong to forgive a person that supported you his own way ? is it really wrong to forgive a person with such good intentions ? sometimes you have to accept others the way they are, especially the people that are very close to you, because everyone in the world makes mistakes.

Glad you enjoyed it though!

thanx, it was a fantastic experience :)

Nice outline of the VN, I like the way you put it.

I've actually noticed that I've missed many things, like the battle between Maou and Haru, and Azai Gonzou who was a very interesting character.

( it seems that I can't qoute as many as I would, I will divide my post ).

THE UGLY;

Kyousuke Azai's personality put me off, and I don't think his backstory justifies that at all. I get that he has a certain superiority complex and is highly intelligent, but he's such a dick that he's almost difficult for me to sympathize with. Had he a little more humanity, the game would be more tolerable.

I think that it really justified his personality, have you met anyone as poor as him ? if someone was very poor like him and no one in the world left his hand to help him, isn't it natural that he will grow to be a very cold person ? his emotions died long ago. it's natural for him to think only about making money and gaining power and respect, he is very human, and there is alot of people like him.

bu there is a thing I want to say, I don't want to make excuses for his personality, he was a very realistic character, and faced many hardships, but he could've learned from what he faced and grew up to be more positive, caring person ( which really is hard under azai gonzou ).. and we shouldn't forget this important point, he's working under a merciless yakuza boss, and considering the harsh environment that raised him, he maybe was a bit soft lol.

I don't like often, but this is well deserved.

Thank you for giving a more devellopped impression of a game. Thank you ;_;

and thank you very much for taking your time and commenting like this, I really like to discuss the things that I love, and share my experience and emotion with other great people like all of you.

I agree about what you wrote about Tsubaki, when a person gets older, his awarness and understanding of others increases, but the beautiful thing that, as Tsubaki realised things about life she never understood before, she still chosed to act with her nice and simple nature, she even told Kyousuke that he is a kindhearted person, despite knowing that he harmed her family.

I really like Tsubaki.

Gonzou was a truly interesting character for example (in my opinion).

gonzou is a great character, he maybe evil in the eyes of people, but he is like a savior to the family that he created. they are not connected by blood, but they still have a strong bond, so gonzou himself can be seen as a good person from the perspective of his people, he gave them money, he gave them power, he gave them alot.

Kanon's story was too classic for me too appreciate it fully. The parents relfecting their desires/ambition on their children is a subject that is overused. Thus, making something that stands out from it is incredibly difficult and I don't think they managed it (It was good though).

yeah, but what about the excution ? in my opinion, it was really good :) great music, excellent writing and development for Kanon, and describtion of her performance was really powerful.

Regarding Mizuha... I don't remember her route ._. at all.

But it don't have and bad thoughs about it so I guess it was good ._.

you should play it again :(

true, but still didn't hurt to me, because I don't think it was possible to make him appear in those routes without affecting the side story that had a competely different focus.

All of the routes is enjoyable but out of the side routes I like Tsubaki's route the most,

it's the most emotional one for sure, and to be honest, I'm still affected by some of it's scenes, Like Tsubaki standing before the yakuza with all her courage, and inviting Kyousuke to join her warm family...

true, but still didn't hurt to me, because I don't think it was possible to make him appear in those routes without affecting the side story that had a competely different focus.

Allow me to make one thing clear.

I prefer it this way, as I said in my initial comment, it would've been a pain for Maou to be in the side stories. Even if the visual novel did not state the why, it's better this way, as far as I care.

there is no love in the world that's as strong as the love of a mother. maybe Kanon's mother lacked communicational skills and proper understanding for her child's needs, but she still tried to give her everything, even stating that she would die if her daughter failed. is it really wrong to forgive a person that supported you his own way ? is it really wrong to forgive a person with such good intentions ? sometimes you have to accept others the way they are, especially the people that are very close to you, because everyone in the world makes mistakes.

The thing about mother's love may be true in most cases, but you should try playing a certain route in Grisaia no Kajitsu to see if you'll still believe that.

Kanon's mother selfishly used her own daughter for self-gratification since she herself had failed to become a successful figure skater in her days (saying she would die from that simply meant she'd be too ashamed of herself). I don't think these intentions are anywhere near good.

I'm a suspect to talk about G-Senjou no Maou, it's my favorite VN ever. 

From the beggining to the end this VN just screams "GENIUS" at my face. All the routes are very well written (even though the true route is the real deal). I found the heroins to be very simple except for Haru (gentle, sister, tsundere), but the way the chapters build around the characters is SOOOOO GOOOOD that you become more and more attached to them. And when a VN makes you forget that is all just fiction and makes you feel empaty for their characters, you know that is was a job well done.

(fan-boy mode on)

The plot i'm not gonna even touch!

It's perfect!

Can't handle those twists!

The ending!

OMG!

My eyes are sweating!

(fan-boy mode off)

Allow me to make one thing clear.

I prefer it this way, as I said in my initial comment, it would've been a pain for Maou to be in the side stories. Even if the visual novel did not state the why, it's better this way, as far as I care.

Same here.

Yup, I actually liked it a bit more, although it also has its share of supposed asspulls.

I really hope to like it as much as this, though I'll surely miss the psychological side of the story!

The thing about mother's love may be true in most cases, but you should try playing a certain route in Grisaia no Kajitsu to see if you'll still believe that.

of course there will be exceptions, but in general it's true right ? anyway, sure I'll play Grisaia some time in the future.

what do you think of the ost in this game ?I can't get enough of listning to it! especially "Sayonara" and "Close your eyes II".

I'm a suspect to talk about G-Senjou no Maou, it's my favorite VN ever. 

From the beggining to the end this VN just screams "GENIUS" at my face. All the routes are very well written (even though the true route is the real deal). I found the heroins to be very simple except for Haru (gentle, sister, tsundere), but the way the chapters build around the characters is SOOOOO GOOOOD that you become more and more attached to them. And when a VN makes you forget that is all just fiction and makes you feel empaty for their characters, you know that is was a job well done.

(fan-boy mode on)

The plot i'm not gonna even touch!

It's perfect!

Can't handle those twists!

The ending!

OMG!

My eyes are sweating!

(fan-boy mode off)

you are my friend, I can't express how much I love this game.

who's your favorite character, and what's your favorite scene in the game ?

you are my friend, I can't express how much I love this game.

who's your favorite character, and what's your favorite scene in the game ?

My favorite character is probably Maou. I have a tendency to like smart and manipulative characters.

But my favorite heroin is Haru, oh boy! She's one of a kind...

My favorite scene..... that's hard.....

I guess it's the true ending. It was so touching when "Close Your Eyes" began to play and Kyousuke made his "sacrifice". Then you see all the girls visiting him, still believing, even after his effort to push everyone away.

But my heart cracked when the daughter appeared...

It has to be one of the best endings out there.