Tsujidou-san no Junai Road Review

BookwormOtaku

A few points for you... go ahead and write the names as the Japanese write them - last name first, first name second.  It just confuses experienced otaku to read Japanese names in English order.  Also, you included some spoilers that would ruin the story for a first-time reader, though giving people an idea of what to expect (your comments on how this was not Majikoi) is not a bad idea.  The mark of a good reviewer is how he/she can avoid spoiling the story while still giving the reader a good idea of whether they'll like the story or not, as well as its base quality. 

Being a Minato-Soft fan, I'd say that Tsujidou is below Majikoi (first and second game) in quality and above Noble Masters.  It shows all the classic signs of when a company has caught their pace and decided what their unique flavor will be (such as Propeller's tendency toward dark and hot-blooded plots with manzai humor and character humor or Akatsuki Works tendency toward groups of friends with a cynical edge).  Generally speaking, most companies will choose certain aspects of a hit work and make that the key point of their future works.  The incredibly exaggerated fighting, combined with mild melodrama (understand, my standard for melodrama is Dies Irae), as well as character-based humor and poking fun at society in general are Minato-soft's flavor, and it can be seen in this game. 

Thanks for the advice, though I actually was trying to keep the review as spoiler free as possible. I did try to avoid getting too specific with story elements for the routes as I talked about them, though it seems I need improvement on that front. I can say I've seen worse spoiler filled reviews, in fact one of the reviews I came across for this game flat out tells you without warning important plot details such as

who the villain in Renna's route is

Also I can understand liking Majikoi more as there are quite a few things it does better than TJR such as route branching, artwork, etc. In the end though I just happen to like the two about as much since I like the characters about as much.

I mostly rate Majikoi higher because of how well they managed to balance all the elements in the main heroine and true story paths.  The humor, the exaggerated beat-downs, and with just enough drama in the individual main heroine routes that I didn't get bored without depressing me.  The true route... had some problems but was good overall. 

Tsujidou is...'青春臭い’ to the extreme, and for me that is always a bit irritating...  The romance portions of the game lasted too long (I started to get bored long before the path went back to drama) which is something you expect from a normal moege, but Tsujidou is long in the first place, so that makes it more painful. 

Edit:  Not to give you the impression that I disliked the game... if anything, it is obvious that Minato-soft learned from the mistakes of Candy soft, its parent company in how they did Tsuyokiss (too obviously derivative from older manga/anime in the gakuen love/comedy genre, such as Love Hina).  Minato-soft took the few good elements of that series, transformed it into something that actually could amuse experienced otakus, and then gave it a semi-serious story with battles and overpowered martial artists in Majikoi.  It then used the 'ノリ’ from Majikoi to make something significantly different in Tsujidou, focused around juvenile delinquents in an exaggerated manner, with a huge dose of love-comedy.  This had a good all-around effect, and the Tsujidou-sequel gives it a nice conclusion as well.

Edit2: Incidentally, for those who are just beginning to play VNs in Japanese, I can't recommend Tsujidou, because you need at least some knowledge of Japanese delinquent-speech and culture to fully appreciate it and understand some of what is being said.