For Love of a Genre: A list of great Sci-fi VNs

Clephas

This is a list of VNs that are either science fiction  or science fantasy.  Science fantasy is a genre of science-fiction that utilizes disproved scientific theories, over the top uses of science that aren't quite realistic even in theory, and other similar themes.  Perhaps the most obvious example of science fantasy in western culture is Star Wars.

Translated

Muv-luv Alternative

Ever17

Remember11

Never7

Chaos;Head (I don't recommend any of Nitro+ 'Science' series personally, but I'm aware that many do like it)

Steins;Gate

Untranslated

Evolimit (kamige)

Sousei Kitan Aerial

Eden*

Harumade Kururu

Komorebi no Nostalgica (kamige)

SINCLIENT

Electro Arms - Realize Digital Dimension

Zero Infinity

Fake Azure Arcology

Natsukumo Yururu

Re:Birth Colony -lost azurite-

Sanzen Sekai Yuugi

Ryuusei☆Kiseki -Shooting Probe-

Sakura Iro Quartet

Strawberry Feels

Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete

Reminiscence (http://vndb.org/v7773)

Soshite Ashita no Sekai yori (this game made me cry until snot ran out of my nose)

Bradyon Veda

8/13/2014 edit
Girls in Black (Whirlpool charage)

Reminiscence Re:Collect

Harvest OverRay

Look forward to the next edition, on Fantasy VNs!

Edit: Added Soshite (forgot to vote on it, so it wasn't there when I was scanning my list, lol) and Bradyon Veda.

Edited by Clephas

If anyone wants to read more sci-fi translated VNs, there's also stuff like Dysfunctional Systems and Soul Link (I'll grant you that the second is pretty meh, though). And perhaps one could call stuff like Inganock sci-fi, though I particularly wouldn't. WEE also has a few sci-fi elements, though I wouldn't say it's the game main focus.

Well, great list, Clephas. Looking forward to the fantasy one!

Now that one really interests me. I'm a huge sci-fi lover. Will definitely take a look at those untranslated ones when I reach a more fluent level of reading.

Great list!

Btw, I've always heard about Baldr Sky when talking with robots lovers about VNs. Is it not SF? Or is it bad?

Mmm... I gave most of the Baldr games a 7 or a 6 out of ten, and the ones listed here all have 8 or better.  The Baldr series has average to decent story, but the games tend to rely too much on the frenetic battles to draw the reader in.  I've yet to run across a game in that series that I would consider to be truly great...

I'm a fan of Sci-Fi stuff but unfortunatly there aren't many of them (translated anyway...). They don't have to include giant robots but having the setting set in a futuristic setting or in a space is always something that intrigued me. Also... space elves <3

You forgot Demonbane

And apparently that's the only title from nitroplus I can bear to play till the end lol

For something without any H stuff inside, Galaxy Angel is a MUST have in that list~

And maybe planetarian too.

And I wonder if Dengeki Stryker is counted.....

Personally, I never did grow fond of space elves...

Heh, I haven't seen them much in games so... mostly just wishful thinking. ˇˇ'

Some VN with Phantasy Star setting would be cool. ˇˇ

For something without any H stuff inside, Galaxy Angel is a MUST have in that list~

And maybe planetarian too.

Oh yeah, forgot that. I adore Galaxy Angel. Took a great liking to the entire cast. 

Cthulu Mythos falls into the fantasy arena, so that is where Demonbane is, despite the mechs.   If you start putting everything with mechs in it into sci-fi, all sorts of things that have no business being labeled sci-fi will end up there.  You'd have to put Jingai Makyou and Muramasa there as well.  Neither belongs in the sci-fi arena, for similar reasons.

Planetarian... forgot about that one.  It was one of the first VNs I played, but it got buried under everything else.  As for Galaxy Angel, I couldn't get into that game, overall.  The series as a whole never held much of an attraction for me.  This is a list of 'great' sci-fi VNs, so while Planetarian probably qualifies, Galaxy Angel doesn't, at least in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

http://vndb.org/v7777

Forgot to put this on the list.  This game is based in a future where everyone has the right (yes, a right, not a privilege) to be freed from the threats of death by age or illness... and it is also a rather interesting view into what that world might be like.  There are a few huge twists to the unlockable endings, and if you have a heart you'll probably cry through the first two endings you can access, if for different reasons.  I know I did.  This game does have its flaws, but it is still something people with a fascination for immortality should try.

Thanks for putting this together!

I wish I spoke Japanese so I could read more of these.  Sci-fi's my favorite genre when it comes to normal non-visual novels, it's disappointing there's such a short list of translated VN SF works.. still enough to last me while though, I guess, if I alternate between these and more normal setting VNs.

There are other translated sci-fi VNs as I recall... but their stories were pretty weak.   Also, they haven't aged well (most were from eight or nine years ago).  I also forgot to add YU-NO because I haven't played it, lol

which one has no chuuni bullcrap like big swrods, super powers, idiotic fights etc? not much moe would be great too. just good plot and some romance with a little of supernatural or sci fi parts.

has somebody made such scifi vn? i don't even ask about pure fantasy because japanese fantasy is just... lame.

Loppez, if you want to troll, pick another site.  There is no place for trolls here.

Except for Muv-luv Alternative, none of the translated ones has serious action.  For the untranslated ones, Harumade Kururu; Sakura, Sakimashita; Komorebi no Nostalgica; Natsukumo Yururu; Ryuusei☆Kiseki -Shooting Probe-; Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete; and Reminiscence are free of chuuni.  Harumade Kururu, Ushinwareta Mirai wo Motomete, Natsukumo Yururu, and Reminiscence are free of excessive moe.   Really, Komorebi no Nostalgica and Sakura, Sakimashita are also free of excessive moe, but you might consider them borderline. 

Edit: When I say 'free of excessive moe', I mean moe for the sake of moe.  In that sense, Ryuusei Kiseki is completely out, as it is basically a moege, as is Sakura Iro Quartet.  You can't really play, watch, or read anything otaku without some  moe in it, lol.

I wouldn't go that far...  though moe does turn people's brains off when it is presented in excess.  That's the primary reason why I have trouble with straight moege... they do their best to turn off your brains and reduce you to a baby-talking creep.  I get enough of that when I talk to my cat.

lol... that's just my opinion on moege.  I recognize they fulfill certain needs... I just like to have moege with spice rather than plain vanilla ones.  A good protagonist, an interesting setting, an unusual situation, etc... something that isn't an average guy surrounded by pretty girls who love him for no reason that makes sense (this is pretty much the standard for all straight moege).

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...