Translation Project for Otome ga Tsumugu Koi no Canvas

Glitch98

Hi,

I wrote that some time ago: http://wrttn.in/c03b7f

And this packer might work (untested): https://gist.github.com/mchubby/7754610

Edit:

where did I get that from??? Some Japanese developer called "nota"apparently, but I can't remember, sorry

http://www31.zippyshare.com/v/9237311/file.html

Edit2: site is http://anime.geocities.jp/notazsite1/soft/ number 009

Edited by Nanashi3

I have about 6 hours a day that are benign of anything useful. I am at the same level or less than CaptainCespa with my Japanese, but I am a hard worker and hard studier and would love to come on and help translate if you will have me. 

~@CaptainCespa: you nabbed me right off the bat and I thank you for it xD

Yea, a heads up,  I think that you might know more than me but idk XD

but also, my skills are very narrow, and I am still learning the language.

I can usually do the normal conversation types of translations, but anything with specific words that are not every day words might be difficult.

ESPECIALLY since in VN's they seem to have a good amount of both, normal language, and then meaningful sentences, for example "The human race is blah blah blah"  i dont know it right off of the top of my head, or words like Biology and Algebra, I have yet to learn >.<  so, yeah.   If you know obscure words or slang that is awesome!  if not, you are still EXTREMELY helpful, since by myself it would probably take more than 5 years to finish haha!

thanks for wanting to join in :D

Ok, v3 of the will_con was able to extract it easily and more comfortable for translating (its not a single file this time which was terrible)

here are the scripts in txt: DOWNLOAD

the game starts in KY01_01.txt so seems like KY is common route and the remaining letters represent the remaining characters (I checked vndb and it is always the first 2 letters of their romanized given name).

I will now try the insertion.

Ok, v3 of the will_con was able to extract it easily and more comfortable for translating (its not a single file this time which was terrible)

here are the scripts in txt: DOWNLOAD

the game starts in KY01_01.txt so seems like KY is common route and the remaining letters represent the remaining characters (I checked vndb and it is always the first 2 letters of their romanized given name).

I will now try the insertion.

Thanks for the help

Yea, a heads up,  I think that you might know more than me but idk XD

but also, my skills are very narrow, and I am still learning the language.

I can usually do the normal conversation types of translations, but anything with specific words that are not every day words might be difficult.

ESPECIALLY since in VN's they seem to have a good amount of both, normal language, and then meaningful sentences, for example "The human race is blah blah blah"  i dont know it right off of the top of my head, or words like Biology and Algebra, I have yet to learn >.<  so, yeah.   If you know obscure words or slang that is awesome!  if not, you are still EXTREMELY helpful, since by myself it would probably take more than 5 years to finish haha!

thanks for wanting to join in :D

Np, I know some slang and less common words, but I'm still shaky on a lot of things. Luckily my room mate is fluent and she can help me here and there. (I asked her already if she would like to join in, and got a firm no...) Hopefully this project will help us become more proficient no?

I ran the game to check it out today and wow is it pretty.

Since we have the scripts should I get to work?

Np, I know some slang and less common words, but I'm still shaky on a lot of things. Luckily my room mate is fluent and she can help me here and there. (I asked her already if she would like to join in, and got a firm no...) Hopefully this project will help us become more proficient no?

I ran the game to check it out today and wow is it pretty.

Since we have the scripts should I get to work?

erm, well I think we can start translating as much as we can for now,  but I think we might find some more translators while we are doing that-- Glitch98 should be messaging translators right now about this, and asking for help, if he gets some positives, we will hear from him

I do definitely think this will give us experience points for future translations XD

Also,  we should divide up the different work by routes, as that seems most efficient, where one person does one route, another does another route, if you get what I am saying lol

From the extracted script, courtesy of Steve, I think I can see 6 routes, AN being Anatasia, CH being Chiharu, KY being Common Route, RE being Rena, SH being Shizuku, and YU being Yuki.

I will be translating CH, chiharu and you can pick from the remaining.  Tell me which one though, because there are hopefully going to be more translators that are more experienced than me who would be willing to mainly work on other routes, and maybe help us a bit if we need it.  So yea, which would you like?  I will do Chiharu

So it's safe to say the project will start soon enough?

You should let Nayleen know when you start so he can post it on the main page with the translation progress.

Translation has officially started, however we definitely need more than just me and Road to start speeding up, as neither of us are 100% fluent and could just live in japan forever XD

Again, we need more translators, anyone reading this lol

Ok so status on the hacking side: the scripts that I uploaded will be good for the translation, that is fine.

For insertion however, the will_con software removes all the other info needed in the script files and only prints the text of the lines in the file.

I first tried writing the software with the formula posted by Nanashi and failed horribly (one of the attempts I even managed to turn 20kb file into a 5MB of nonsense). Then Luch tried it and was more successful, using the formula there and the formula found in the source code of the will_con he managed to extract the arc into a file without removing the info about the music and addresses the game uses, the text was readable there but the addresses and such were still nonsense, only names of like voice files or backgrounds were visible with the lines. And that's when even luch run out of options to try and declared this to be impossible to hack for him (and definitely for me).

So yeah, you will need some good hacker for the WSC > TXT (including the important info) and then TXT > WSC.

For now you can start the translation with the text only script

Worst case scenario you will then insert the lines into VN Reader or something, but I think once the translation moves closer to finishing, you will have much better chance to find someone to help, people are much more willing to help with a project that is almost done as they know their work will not be for nothing (unlike when the project is dropped at 1-30% as most of the projects are).

Ok so status on the hacking side: the scripts that I uploaded will be good for the translation, that is fine.

For insertion however, the will_con software removes all the other info needed in the script files and only prints the text of the lines in the file.

I first tried writing the software with the formula posted by Nanashi and failed horribly (one of the attempts I even managed to turn 20kb file into a 5MB of nonsense). Then Luch tried it and was more successful, using the formula there and the formula found in the source code of the will_con he managed to extract the arc into a file without removing the info about the music and addresses the game uses, the text was readable there but the addresses and such were still nonsense, only names of like voice files or backgrounds were visible with the lines. And that's when even luch run out of options to try and declared this to be impossible to hack for him (and definitely for me).

So yeah, you will need some good hacker for the WSC > TXT (including the important info) and then TXT > WSC.

For now you can start the translation with the text only script

Worst case scenario you will then insert the lines into VN Reader or something, but I think once the translation moves closer to finishing, you will have much better chance to find someone to help, people are much more willing to help with a project that is almost done as they know their work will not be for nothing (unlike when the project is dropped at 1-30% as most of the projects are).

In any event I would like to thank you for trying and for the time you put into this. 

Good going! Hope you guys finish the game in an efficient manner! Hope I really can help (with the large amount of free time I have) but I don't think I have any skills that could actually help in the translations T_T (not much knowledge in japanese as I can't even read kanjis past JLPT N5).

I probably should have said this before, but this is an excellent choice of games to translate.  Though, I do think some things won't translate or will be difficult to translate.  If I have a suggestion for yall, it would be to beef up on your art terms vocab, as well as figure out the painting names (the old paintings are mostly real ones, so it would be nice if you had it right).  This game will present a unique challenge to translate, but then all VNs that aren't moege present their own challenges...lol

• 2 weeks later...

If ya'll are still looking for a hacker, while I haven't reversed any formats like wsc yet, I've cracked a lot of software. I'm obtaining a copy of the game and will take a look at it to see what I can work up and document the format as I take it apart. This game seems quite interesting to me so I'll glady do what I can to contribute as a reverse engineer.