[Android] - Visual Novel Reader

Synthicify

Hey there, I wanted to share a visual novel app I have been working on for the last 6 months!

Visual Novel Reader allows you to read any visual novel converted to VNDS(++) format on your android.

Google Play Download

Instruction Video

Personally I like reading my visual novels on my phone or tablet, it is much more comfy than sitting in front of an computer. Reading a visual novel is like reading a book, it is preferable to be able to read it anywhere, like if you're travelling or somewhere with no internet access.

Since this is indeed a visual novel forum, I suppose most of you have heard about the VNDS and VNDS Interpreter option for reading visual novels on android already. And so did I. Since I started reading visual novels I have read almost every visual novel playable by the VNDS and also made contributions myself (Kagetsu Tohya and Kanon converters). However the developer seems to be gone, and the app has been unpurchasable for a year now. Which is why I around christmas decided I would attempt to make my own VNDS interpreter. And instead of making a new platform I decided to extend upon the VNDS-format so it could support all existing VNDS novels. It would be a waste not to. Hence I am just calling it VNDS++.

Additions to the VNDS scripts so far includes the ability to play videos, AND and OR operators (rather than a pure kernel scheme as in the original), as well as easier sprite positioning. The upside of having made it myself is that whenever I create a converter for a visual novel, if I find there is some essential support lacking I can extend the interpreter, rather than having to find nasty work-arounds.

I'm not sure if this is of any interest for you, considering the VNDS is quite an old platform now. But being one of those who prefers to read visual novels on tablets, this is something I have been working hard on: to extend support and availability for visual novels on android.

I will be using the summer to create more converters and bring more visual novels to android. I'm currently working on a converter for Clannad:Tomoyo After. If you are interested and would like to play a certain VN, feel free to suggest visual novels you'd like to be able to read on android.

I hope this may be of interest to some of you :)

- Synthicify

Good luck for your project, nice work! For those other than VNDS converted games, what other engines are you intend to implement? I see you're adding Clannad:Tomoyo After and Kanon which use Reallive and Kagetsu Tohya which uses Nscripter. Does this app work just like Onscripter for Nscripter engine (meaning:works exactly just like on the computer)?

Good luck for your project, nice work! For those other than VNDS converted games, what other engines are you intend to implement? I see you're adding Clannad:Tomoyo After and Kanon which use Reallive and Kagetsu Tohya which uses Nscripter. Does this app work just like Onscripter for Nscripter engine (meaning:works exactly just like playing on the computer)?