Pokémon Emerald: Moemon + Nuzlocke Challenge :D

Zenophilious

Yes, I'm making an official thread for this.  It is time.

9ba047b417e0aff4d3dc0015fa1bc218bc113b90

Required downloads

Emulator (obviously  :P): Visual Boy Advance-M (has Zeno's Stamp of Approval), Visual Boy Advance (out of date)

Pokémon Emerald ROMs: English (USA), Japanese, Spanish (All from Emuparadise, feel free to suggest other sites or link to other language ROMs)

Moemon Emerald: Source

IPS patching program: Lunar IPS, WinIPS

Rules

1) Any Pokémon that faints is considered dead, and must be released.

2) The player may only catch the first Pokémon encountered in each area, and none else.  (Feel free to ignore duplicates, because that would just make the game boring.)  "Catch" being the operative word, so traded, glitched-in, or cheated-in Pokémon are not allowed.  They must be native to your game and legitimate.

There are optional rules available, in case you want to spice things up, but you must follow the two most basic rules.  Of course, these rules can only be enforced by yourself, and as such you are on an honor code.  Please don't abuse this, it'll ruin the fun.

Not an official rule, but you should name your Moemon to give their possible "deaths" the most emotional impact possible.  Saving before every battle as insurance is just lame, and while it's not explicitly against the rules (it definitely kills the spirit of the game), if you do this, you are a scrub that needs to git gud.

Please take pictures of your team and show them off, and keep everyone updated on your progress!  It's no fun unless we can mourn the loss of your beloved Moemon as a group :sachi:

RIP

TexasDice: Waltraud (Wurmple)

Shikomizue: Yaeko (Poochyena)

Kiriririri: Azuma (Mudkip)

LinovaA: Natsu (Combusken), Azumi (Zigzagoon), Yoru (Poochyena), Aoi (Marill), Haru (Dustox)

If you are repeatedly getting a white screen upon loading the ROM with VBA-M, click Options -> Emulator -> Save Type and switch it from Flash 64 KB to Flash 128 KB, then click File -> Reset, and it should work normally.

If you want to be able to grow berries and have different tides in certain areas, click Options -> Emulator -> Real Time Clock.

Can I catch anything at route 101 or does it not count since I got my starter there?

You can decide either way.  It's not one of the mandatory rules, so it's up to you ^_^

Also downloading this immediately, though when I tried patching a ROM a couple years ago I could never figure it out..

Just download Lunar IPS or WinIPS and follow the instructions provided on the Moemon patch page.  Very easy to do.

I recommend naming your mon after your waifus. For maximum pain.

Edit: I also urge people to just stick to the normal rules. Trust me, even with just those there`s still a good chance of getting a game over. Not being able to pick your team is much more crippling than you might think at first.

Is there any difference to emerald other than sprites? And most importantly: Are all pokemon in the game moe'd?

I don't believe there is, no.  It requires a clean Emerald ROM, and I'm all but certain that it changes only the sprites, but since I have no way of investigating that or determining one way or the other even if I did, I have to go off of what the poster of the patch said, which is no, it only changes the sprites.  As to whether or not every single Pokémon in the game is moe'd, I'd hope so, otherwise you couldn't call it a complete release  :P

Okay, sign me in. I'm running Battlestyle: Set in addition to the other rules.

Japanese names are lame and you guys are lame too. That's why I'm giving my pokes really dumb german names. Like the dumbest ones wikipedia can think of, trust me.

I chose Treeko as my starter and soft-resetted for a female, because that's important.* :illya: Brigitte, is her name. Afterwards, I caught a Wurmple (Waltraud), a Zigzagoon (Kunigunde), K.Oed a Poochyena and lost said wurmple shortly after. RIP in piece Waltraud. 

dwm2015-05-2805-02-13o8kyq.png

Then I made my way further into the game and caught a Taillow (Gisela) and a Shroomish (Frauke). Sucks, because I really wanted a Slakoth... rimufaceemoticonslu6x.png

Anyway, I trained up.

dwm2015-05-2805-28-47jiken.png

*Note: I didn't savescum anything besides my starter. For some reason, all of my catches truly are female so far (except for poochyena, but that's ded). Go harem, go harem.

My team now consists of my Mudkip Kaori, Kita, a level 5 Wurmple, and Urako, a level 5 Poochyena.

Aaaaanyway...you guys know the girl with the black ponytails at the very end of route 102 and right by the entrance to Petalburg City?  Accidentally said no when it asked if I wanted to switch 'mon, and her Shroomish almost killed Kaori.  Little bugger got him down to yellow health and poisoned him.  Rushed over to the Pokémon Center, and I have no idea how much health Kaori had left, but damn, that was close.

*Goes into Route 102 hoping for a Raltz. Gets Zigzagoon*

My team now consists of: Haru, a level 8 Treecko, Hiroko, a level 7 Silcoon, Yaeko, a level 7 Poochyena and Kazue, a level 3 Zigzagoon.

I also have a Wingull that's not part of my Nuzlocke team and only there for completion purposes.

Anyone else impatient like me and using the spacebar to speed things up?

Aaaaanyway...you guys know the girl with the black ponytails at the very end of route 102 and right by the entrance to Petalburg City? Accidentally said no when it asked if I wanted to switch 'mon, and her Shroomish almost killed Kaori. Little bugger got him down to yellow health and poisoned him. Rushed over to the Pokémon Center, and I have no idea how much health Kaori had left, but damn, that was close.

Yeah, I was having trouble leveling my former Wurmple, and she almost died a couple times. I think the Nuzlocke challenge makes you think about your moves more than the regular game. From now on, I'll probably go and play all the Pokemon games with the challenge, It'd probably make for a better experience.

Anyone else impatient like me and using the spacebar to speed things up?

Yes, so much yes.  Ever since I started emulating GameBoy games I've gotten spoiled and used to not having to wait for anything to happen.  It's glorious.  Know exactly what a character is going to say?  Mash X while holding down space.  Have a long area to walk through?  Hold down Up and Space.

Yes, so much yes.  Ever since I started emulating GameBoy games I've gotten spoiled and used to not having to wait for anything to happen.  It's glorious.  Know exactly what a character is going to say?  Mash X while holding down space.  Have a long area to walk through?  Hold down Up and Space.

It always ends up messing me up on Pokemon when I try to do it, I press space and then barely tap it and i'm already halfway across Hoenn.

Alright, this is how I'm going to update from now on:

New Member(s): Level 8 Wingull named Kuniko. (I decided that if the pokemon I encounter in a new area isn't in my Nuzlocke team, I'll catch them and add them to the team even if I already have them from another area when they weren't my first encounter.)

Levels: Haru lv 9, Yaeko lv 8, Kazue lv 8 Hiroko lv 9.

Current area: Petalburg Woods.

Currently owned pokemon: 10

Comments/complaints/other stuff: Did anyone else edit their profile thing in the Petalburg city pokecenter? I sure did:

4NHmFHl.png

I reeeeeaaaaalllllllly wish Marill was my first encounter on Route 104. (south) It has my favorite sprite so far. Anyone else have a favorite sprite yet?

I also like to pretend I'm sonic by using the spacebar and running shoes together. :holo: