Jump to content
  • entries
    609
  • comments
    1,620
  • views
    289,373

Burned out

Sign in to follow this  
Clephas

686 views

It's been a while since a single VN burned me out completely, but Silverio Trinity managed it.  That VN had many of the best elements of its predecessor, while being more balanced, having added unique soundtracks, and overall creating a mostly new experience that, while it didn't completely transcend the original, still managed to stand on the same plane.

Unfortunately, it was a highly emotional experience, with a lot of excitement along the way... so I know I won't rate any VNs I play at this moment fairly, regardless of genre.  As a result, I'm taking a week's break from my VN of the Month to recover my sanity, lol.

Sign in to follow this  


12 Comments


Recommended Comments

That's what I like to hear lol. The "immersion high" (and the unfortunate period of coming down off it) is an experience that is truly unique to VNs, and the best sign of a great one imo .

Definitely looking forward to reading it for myself.

Share this comment


Link to comment
27 minutes ago, Valduran said:

That's what I like to hear lol. The "immersion high" (and the unfortunate period of coming down off it) is an experience that is truly unique to VNs, and the best sign of a great one imo .

Definitely looking forward to reading it for myself.

Remember to play Vendetta first... without that, you won't know the 'why?' of what is going on.

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, Clephas said:

Remember to play Vendetta first... without that, you won't know the 'why?' of what is going on.

Yep, for sure. But alas it's gonna be a (long) while. My backlog is absurdly huge on account of only just having developed my reading ability to the level of Native-Language VNs--also saving Light for later since they are the company I am looking forward to most. I haven't even read Dies Irae yet, sadly. We'll see whether or not I even get to it before the localization is released. That'll be an interesting race lol.

...I wonder how long its going to take me to catch up to how much you've read for that matter.
You've cited the number you've read as somewhere around 600 I believe, and while I probably plan to skip many of the charage and more slice-of-life romance stuff that you've read over the years I'm sure that still leaves me with a fair few hundred to go on. ^^

At any rate, your blog is adding titles to my backlog faster than I can read them atm lol. But in a way that's a good thing. :)

Share this comment


Link to comment
21 minutes ago, Valduran said:

Yep, for sure. But alas it's gonna be a (long) while. My backlog is absurdly huge on account of only just having developed my reading ability to the level of Native-Language VNs--also saving Light for later since they are the company I am looking forward to most. I haven't even read Dies Irae yet, sadly. We'll see whether or not I even get to it before the localization is released. That'll be an interesting race lol.

...I wonder how long its going to take me to catch up to how much you've read for that matter.
You've cited the number you've read as somewhere around 600 I believe, and while I probably plan to skip many of the charage and more slice-of-life romance stuff that you've read over the years I'm sure that still leaves me with a fair few hundred to go on. ^^

At any rate, your blog is adding titles to my backlog faster than I can read them atm lol. But in a way that's a good thing. :)

https://vndb.org/u10917

Also, that doesn't count the replays or the nukige, lol.

Share this comment


Link to comment
13 hours ago, Clephas said:

https://vndb.org/u10917

Also, that doesn't count the replays or the nukige, lol.

Well then. :)

But yeah, it's nice that you've already voted on practically everything that might be interesting to me, gives me a more firm idea on stories that aren't really getting proper ratings due to lack of western audience.

Share this comment


Link to comment

Anything with an 8 or above is good, if it isn't an action type.  I tend to rate more harshly with chuunige than I do with other types.  The ones I really like, I rank highly, but the ones I'm not satisfied with tend to fall into the 6-7.5 range.  Any charage that gets below an 8 you should avoid, since they are crap.  I rarely rate below 7 on commercial VNs, because most of them reach a certain level by default.  An 8 means the VN is potential VN of the Month material, meaning it meets the basic 'acceptable level of quality' to be considered, even if it isn't chosen.  A lot of this is that I didn't want my dislike of charage/moege coloring the ratings on vndb too much, so I start most games with a default of 4 and add points for good stuff in them.  Games have to be truly terrible for me to rate below a 4, lol.

2 minutes ago, Valduran said:

Well then. :)

But yeah, it's nice that you've already voted on practically everything that might be interesting to me, gives me a more firm idea on stories that aren't really getting proper ratings due to lack of western audience.

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
8 hours ago, Palas said:

How do you even get to appreciate a soundtrack if you read in the speed of light? I always wanted to ask this but never had the opportunity 

The soundtrack plays while you play the game.  I don't read at the speed of light.  I just read as fast as the voice-acting and my own reading allow, though I do skip h-scenes.

Share this comment


Link to comment
6 hours ago, RedK said:

Play a moekamige like floflo or natsunagi.

Edit: nevermind, you've already read those.

Rule of thumb... if you have read it, I probably read it before you, lol.

Share this comment


Link to comment
5 hours ago, RedK said:

I'm sorry Clephas-sama, I doubted your might.

*Clephas shows a bear-trap smile, his eyes glinting with humor* You may believe you are forgiven.  I give my permission.

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×