The one VN you want...

Do you know a specific untranslated visual novel that you want to be translated above all others? If so, what is it? Tell us about the game, why you think it's exceptional, what you (expect to) enjoy about it, and if you think it will benefit fandom as a whole.

If you can not name an untranslated VN you'd really want, but you can imagine an awesome VN that doesn't currently exist, then start talking about this ideal game concept. If possible, let us know what it would take in order to create this game. (For instance, specify what sort of dev team, software programs, and funding would be necessary.)

Ideal: (See here)

Untranslated: The Baldr Sky series has consistently been rated one of the best VN series of all time. Translations of articles about it rave about the "mystery", "drama" and "romance" being on the same level as FSN, G-Senjou, etc. Why do I want it? To be honest, simply because it's a classic. I want to play the classic VNs. Some people will make fun of me for it, but hey--just like with truly great literature, there's a reason why they're called "classic". Dostoyevsky forever, man. Long live Steinbeck. Hemmingway's my home dog.

Give me Baldr Sky.

The one I would like to see translated is Akaka from Haccaworks* It seems it is quite short and it has a translated manga on Mangafox and it seems popular. Also It is nice to have more shorts stories translated. not everybody has the time or want to start reading very long works. Here goes the opening it is quite good.

I would like too to see Queen of darkness translated. The second reproduction got popular because it was rather different of more generic otomes with cute and silly heroines. Queen of Darkness goes way more far away. It can be interesting even for male players. (better the first moon edition, 1st game graphics are kinda bad)

I haven't really played enough VNs to strongly want a translation of any (at this point i'm still massively spoilt for choice) but having played Muv-Luv Alternative i would like to have Kimi ga Nozomu Eien be completed so i can see more backstory (as i recall the translation was dropped halfway). I also think Soukou Akki Muramasa would be good, from the summaries and descriptions i have seen if it was translated i would probably have played it already. And as mentioned Baldr Sky looks very interesting too, but at the rate the project is going i think i could self-study Japanese the the point where i can properly read VNs before it is translated, or maybe just suck it up and use the Chinese patch.

Although it's technically being translated right now, I would really like to see the finished translation of mahotsukai no yoru. My understanding in japanese is quite elementary and I can play an "everyday" VN just fine, mahoyo contains so much specific terms that I don't understand, and being a type-moon works, those terms are integral to the story. After finishing it, I can only understand the general idea, but not any specific explanations they do in the story.

I think people want the anime ones too, like Kokoro no Connect, or Koichoco, or Oreimo or Haganai, or Sword Art Online, ro ku bu, Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi, Ao no Exorcist, Guilty Crown, etc

Adult Video King sounds incredibly crazy and amazing in all the right ways, although I doubt that will ever get translated so I might as well learn Japanese so I can play it. Figu@mate is another one of those weird games that I would love to play someday.

Since I personally think most anime based on games are garbage (because they are always short and never can make any progress or pick a heroine that I just absolutely loathe), it would be nice to see some of those get translated. Examples would be "They Are My Noble Masters", "Do Love Me Seriously!" (I know its being translated but very slowly), and "Final Approach" (no sexual content) are just some that I would love to play.

Adult Video King sounds incredibly crazy and amazing in all the right ways, although I doubt that will ever get translated so I might as well learn Japanese so I can play it. Figu@mate is another one of those weird games that I would love to play someday.

Since I personally think most anime based on games are garbage (because they are always short and never can make any progress or pick a heroine that I just absolutely loathe), it would be nice to see some of those get translated. Examples would be "They Are My Noble Masters", "Do Love Me Seriously!" (I know its being translated but very slowly), and "Final Approach" (no sexual content) are just some that I would love to play.

Adult Video king sounds very funny! You guys should read the Vndb summary.

reading japanese seems like the only choice lol, well maybe in a year... I could try.

Personally I'd really love to see a translation for Walkure Romanze ~Shoujo Kishi Monogatari~ because jousting is so rare a topic to come up, and I really like knights and chivalry. With most heroes wed to the sword these day and lancers on foot, it's rare for people to remember how duels were really fought! The art's very pretty and I like the setting. It's like A Knight's Tale the VN!

The extensive TVTropes main article about Mitsumete Knight really sold me on the game. It sounds like a one-of-a-kind gem: a cute romance game with lots of gameplay... and even unexpected, plot-relevant character deaths. It was created about fifteen years ago (exclusive to the original Playstation), had one follow-up, and nothing else. There is no current or planned fan translation, though there are a decent amount of video clips on Youtube.

My ideal romance game that doesn't current exist would include:

* Quite a bit of complex gameplay, as well as optional narrative sequences.

* The option to customize characters, and add/modify content. (Heartache 101 is a decent step in this direction.)

* NPCs that can go from potential love interest to committed partner. (LovePlus does this fairly well, though the cast doesn't really age, and the game has few side characters.)

* No random stat increases or decreases. The main character should be growing, not constantly on the verge of becoming weaker.

* The ability to politely opt out of a relationship, and thus break ties with an NPC. (The lack of this feature in Tokimemo Girls Side was annoying.)

* Multi-platform support. It would work on a variety of computers, devices, and perhaps even consoles.

All these features would be a tall order for even the best indie devs. I'm not sure what current professional creators could make an upbeat, 2D game which would be remotely similar. I have a lot of faith in WayForward Technologies to create amusing 2D games, but they're not perfect, as you should expect...

I am not highly familiar with VN's yet, er, at least probably not on the level of some other people, but the ones I am looking forward to would be:

Fate/Hollow Ataraxia and Witch on the Holy Night(I am a Type-Moon fanboy so yeah >3>~)

Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai!(Sounds hilarious and awesome~)

Baldr Sky(Sounds intriguing to me)

Narcissu PSP...actually I am not sure about this one. I heard it was already translated, but I haven't been able to find said translation.

11eyes

And that's about all I can remember at the moment.

harry_kinomoto's very brief idiot's guide to creating a balls-to-the-walls awesome VN that will go down in HISTORY as a classic that changed the world

Guiding principles:

• A desire to create something beautiful.
  • A desire to create something wonderful.
  • A desire to create something perfect.
  • A complete and utter disregard for everything else.

Suggested ways to go about doing this:

• Creativity: as long as undertaken in the pursuit of the abovementioned.
  • A team of people who will talk to each other about the abovementioned.
  • A team of people who will listen to each others' ideas about the abovementioned.
  • A team of people who will work on each others' ideas about the abovementioned.
  • In other words: lots and lots and lots of love, tolerance and [pink]encouragement[/pink]. Pink colours optional.

Possible results of implementing the abovementioned (adapted somewhat from here):

• A protagonist that isn't a blank slate.
  • A storyline that doesn't JUST focus on fappability.
  • More animated scenes.
  • More than one "true end".
  • Writing that doesn't rely so much on cultural references as it does fundamental human values everyone will recognise....
  • ...but paradoxically, something that most people will not understand or "get", and thus...
  • A team who will be trolled to their graves for creating an absolute abomination; only to be recognised for their wisdom 50 years after their death.

tl;dr: a VN that is in the true sense of the word "ideal", does not exist at present,. :mellow:

I would like to second Akaya Akayashi ayakashino

there is a demo of it on the official site, but I cant get it to work...

The soundtrack and drama cd and manga are all amazing, and I just wanna play it...

I cant find a link for it anywhere

and all the BALDR games would be awesome to play sometime.

[*]More than one "true end".

...but you can't have more that one true end that doesn't make any sense...

It would also throw off any sort of canon, ya know, in case they wanted to make a sequel (which alot of these games with true ends do have sequels). I do get your point though, give equal opportunity to every heroine.

Baldr sky would be awesome if it got translated. I've heard great things about it.

Ofcourse there is a lot I want translated but Baldr is the one I want the most. (except rewrite but it should be done this year with the godlike speed they translate it at the moment)

There is one I would love to see translated, it's called Moujuutsukai to Oujisama Portable.

It's a really cool otomegame and after I read other gamer's reviews on the game, I just couldn't wait to see it get translated!!!!

It's about a girl of a famous beast tamer who wanted to be an outstanding best tamer like her father. She met a guy selling animals and bought them : a lion, a wolf, a duck and a rabbit..soon after, she realized that they were cursed princes!!! and her job is to break the curse.

The game features a petting system where you can pet the princes..which I think is really cute.

Also, the artworks are gorgeous.

It's not completely a VN, but more like a romance simulation game.

And anybody interested should check it out!!!

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/09/27/beast-master-and-prince-portable-playtest-training-up-and-loving-cursed-princes/

I'm so hooked up with the game after reading this article

...but you can't have more that one true end that doesn't make any sense...

It would also throw off any sort of canon, ya know, in case they wanted to make a sequel (which alot of these games with true ends do have sequels). I do get your point though, give equal opportunity to every heroine.

Equal opportunities are a good place to start but I think the problem's bigger than that.

Put it this way. So we know how VNs sometimes have that ONE heroine (or hero for otomege) that the story was very clearly written for - the one whose route leads to the so-called "true end". Thing is, the routes for the other heroines in such VNs more often than not seem forced and unnatural. Often, it's not even that said heroines didn't get the opportunity; it's just that they end up being what we know as "filler". Why would authors even consider including something of sub-par quality in their works? Sure, there are times where I don't mind a bit more content, but if you want your work to be taken really seriously, you wouldn't make public anything that's not your absolute best foot forward. imho, devs who consider their work having some semblance of a "true end" ought to remove all choices that could potentially lead to these less satisfying "false ends", as it were, or even consider making a choiceless "kinetic novel".

But you see, I don't think the potential of the VN medium stops at choiceless kinetic novels. One of the strengths of VNs is their extent of immersion - and including choices can help enhance that immersion. Unfortunately as I had argued, if these choices lead to "false ends", they can lessen the impact of the work. So clearly, a highly-successful VN, imo, should have choices - but they should all lead to routes with equal impact.

The question, then, is how this should be done??

Regarding Canon

I'm not sure doing this would necessarily mean canon would cease to exist - the VN and its characters could still be clearly defined. Sure, sometimes the choices we make reflect our personality in fundamental ways, but other times, they don't always seem important - and are more often than not made simply on instinct and without too much thought. Should I be doing my work instead of writing this now? What about when I'm done? Should I arrange a day out with a date later, practice some piano, or go post something somewhere else? What is life but an endless series of choices, after all? And I am sure I don't need to explain how choosing to go on a "date" could potentially have radically different results than staying at home! Of course, this is not to say dates could just as easily be an event of little or no consequence, but I guess what I am trying to demonstrate is that every single one of our everyday choices could affect us in ways we mightn't have ever imagined. This phenomenon happens to us countless times every day in our lives, and if a VN ever decided to take this further, yet successfully keep it just as low-key as it is to us in everyday life, I'd love to take a look at it~

Oh and PS:

I illustrated my point using romantic examples, only because romance is the most recognised area in the VN scene. However, that may also lead me to add one more point in my last category: not necessarily a romance: or, if it ends up being one, not BLATANTLY a FIND ME AND DATE ME romance where right from the get-go it is OBVIOUS which girl/guy you will end up with

:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

I strongly need Innocent Grey's Novels translations.

Cartagra, Pianissimo, Caucasus and upcoming Uro no Shoujo.

It's exceptional, VERY.

I mean, really. Is there any other developer who make such stylish classical grim-dark detectives with such intriguing story?

I don't know any.

There is only Kara no Shoujo translated, and it's very sad. I just want to read more novels of that kind but it seems genre isn't so popular. Neither in Japan nor outside of it.

Except Robotics;Notes (which is console only, so there won't be translation anyway) Innocent Grey's works are the only ones that I really want to read.

Hmmm...Theres a few VNs atm I would love to see Translated...

1.Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi My link

-As far as I know. No one has picked this one up nor does anyone plan to...

2.Rewrite. My link

-Currently being worked on at Godlike speed...I shouldn't have to wait too much longer.

3.Fate/Hollow Ataraxia My link

-Also being translated atm...Very slow though.

4.Air My link

-Ive waited a long time for this one...No one really seemed interested in doing it anymore so Im going to do it myself...It may take a year but Ill do it.

As Aozaki said, Air is one of the big-name VNs with no full fan translation. Only a few partial patches exist. And I don't expect any company will license it for any platform. Though according to what I've read on VNDB recently, there is a group that plans to work on Air in the near future...

how can you say "I want to play this game" without knowing it's content

From the following:

1) pictures and opening videos

2) previews and reviews in English (how else would I have heard of the '90s game Fire Woman Matoi-gumi?)

3) official anime/manga/novel spinoffs that are more likely to get translated

4) fan-made creative efforts. The Flash game Nanaca Crash was made by a fan, and became surprisingly popular. It was loosely based on the adult VN Cross Channel, which did not have a complete fan translation until 2009, and which is still fairly obscure.