VNDB Tips n' Tricks

Eclipsed

Heya Fuwanovel, Eclipsed here, ready to do another trolly trolls filled with pure enlightenment and innocent funzies.

First, let's talk about VNDB: Vector Newton Digimon Battlefield.

With this site, you can diary-style all of the Visual Novels that you've read over the course of your career.

I. Linking your VNDB profile to Fuwanovel
"Want your profile & sidebar to look sexy (and taller) while roaming the forums? Load it up with your VNDB!"

1. Create your VNDB account over at https://vndb.org/
  2. Go to your VNDB profile, make note of your ID number, then go to your Fuwanovel profile -> Edit Profile and input that number under the VNDB section (without the letter "u")
    1. You can also link other things such as your MAL and Steam!sdfdsfsfs
Spoiler

8Awa2KJ.png (883×304)

~~
Result:

Spoiler

rKvUyxz.png (195×417) <- Listing out your VNDB, MAL, and Steam = +3 sidebar profile height!

II. Commentating on your listed Visual Novels
"Want your VNDB list to look SEXY (& cluttered wall-of-texty) as hell?"

1. Tick the Visual Novel you want to comment on
  2. "Set Note"
  3. Type in your comment
  4. "Update"
Spoiler

1. ulaYsUQ.png (1599×227)

nqWXnPG.png (1591×499)

zNfWziH.png (1595×409)

4.   vkN1uiY.png (1591×153)

~~
VOILA 0b8aWuA.png (1585×172)

~~
Result:

Spoiler

QHRbWcP.png (1599×751)

III. Rating Visual Novels with "Fractionals" (cr. palas), Because Whole Numbers Are Too Mainstream & Hipster
"Sometimes, you just wanna rate things the SEXY way using decimals!"

1. Go to your desired Visual Novel's profile. Select "Other" from the voting menu.
  2. Input your desired score, ranging from 1.0 to 10.0 (one decimal place only!)
Spoiler

Q3KRI5u.png (808×383)

2. yxKze9T.png (1593×357)

IV. VNStats!
"It's all about dem stats."

1.  "Noslyl from Reddit made VNStats, a cool site that hooks into VNDB's api to analyze its data. It gives some broad data on VNDB's overall voting habits and then it allows you to dig deeper and see data on individual VNs, tags, character traits, and users of VNDB.
  2.  My favorite feature of the site is the way it gives you an analysis on the VNs you've voted on and your own reading habits. " -Decay

V. The English-only Pleb's Odyssey for the TL'd Vector Newtons (Search Filtering for Translated Visual Novels) cr. Nosebleed

On 2/9/2016 at 5:55 AM, Nosebleed said:

They've recently incorporated this feature so I figured it'd be useful to share if you didn't catch it.

You can use the "Release Filter" instead of, or in conjunction with, the "Visual novel filter" when browsing visual novels to more accurately look for translations. The visual novel filter will only give you visual novels that have a language listed (it could be complete, partial or TBA) but the release filter lets you specify if you want a completed translation or not, it also lets you specify if you want only English licensed VNs or translation patches.

Spoiler

rf2YcoT.png

VI. The Power of Chaos, Disorder, and... Randomness! cr. Final Chaos
"Sometimes. the only way to find what you are looking for, is to not look for it!"

1. Select "Random Visual Novel" from the upper left menu on VNDB.
    Spoiler

CDc6LbQ.png (168×243)

~~
Feel free to add any VNDB tips n' tricks that you think the public should know about, and I will compilethemtotheOPTM

28 minutes ago, kingdomcome said:

Are the notes for yourself to read, it's not posted as some review or something?

those are public just like everything you do, but you can hide them from everyone if you want, just go to "my profile" and check the line that says "Don't allow other people to see my visual novel list..."

On 2/10/2016 at 5:23 AM, Suzu Fanatic said:

though people with thin skin should avoid any discussion threads - a handful there tend to stab puppies and eat babies.  Have a bit of a chip on their shoulder(s). :Kappa:

oh, yea. ur right. vndb forums sucks- full of complaints bout everything (even the mere fact that some1 is translating a game is bashed by some) srsly

Thanks for the note tips, I searched for it myself, but without results. :P More people should be using this, cause this way I know not only your overall 'testes' in VN, but for example I now don't trust you at all, when it comes to romance, because of what you wrote about Cartagra. :P
So if more people would be using this, recommendations here would be much simplier. :P

I would like to bring to everyone's attention about the amazing feature present in vndb. Really I can't emphasise how important this feature is and also recommend Eclipsed to add it in the tricks.

I am of course talking about the legendary random visual novel option present in vndb. Without it's existence truly vndb would have but a fraction of it's current greatness.

22 minutes ago, FinalChaos said:

I am of course talking about the legendary random visual novel option present in vndb. Without it's existence truly vndb would have but a fraction of it's current greatness.

Nah, I prefer simply go to vndb.org and browse random VNs by their miniature screens on main page. I sometimes spend hours doing mostly that.

They've recently incorporated this feature so I figured it'd be useful to share if you didn't catch it.

You can use the "Release Filter" instead of, or in conjunction with, the "Visual novel filter" when browsing visual novels to more accurately look for translations. The visual novel filter will only give you visual novels that have a language listed (it could be complete, partial or TBA) but the release filter lets you specify if you want a completed translation or not, it also lets you specify if you want only English licensed VNs or translation patches.

rf2YcoT.png

A feature I love about VNDB, though not very big, is the random quote that appears at the bottom of most (if not all) pages of the site. By clicking on it you go to the entry of the VN the quote is from.

Sometimes you see a quote you didn't remember from something you already read, or realize how weird it's out of context. I've spent hours reading those quotes on boring days :wahaha:

4 hours ago, Ike said:

A feature I love about VNDB, though not very big, is the random quote that appears at the bottom of most (if not all) pages of the site. By clicking on it you go to the entry of the VN the quote is from.

Sometimes you see a quote you didn't remember from something you already read, or realize how weird it's out of context. I've spent hours reading those quotes on boring days :wahaha:

Ahahah, so awesome! :wahaha: