Winter 2016 Anime Discussion

Nosebleed

Dimension W: By the end the story was all over the place and not really making a lot of sense and the ending was only okay. Shame after the first episodes started so strong.

Schwarzesmarken: Meh to the end. Couldn't care less about any of the characters and it just spent the entire series with each episode trying to outdo the previous one for pointless plot twists, depressing developments for the good guys, and elevating bad guys out of nowhere.

Ao no kanata: Very predictable but... extremely satisfying ending for a show that otherwise wasn't really that special.

Snow white with red hair: Love it. No huge surprises but so fulfilling, and despite the super sweet tone, they didn't choose to go the completely obvious ending.

Season Overview 
Gate – Didn’t really enjoy it as much as first half but still pretty great. Felt that towards the end of the show it started to rush things though. 
Phantom World – I enjoyed it. Boring and fun episodes throughout the show. Too bad that just as actually plot begins to creep in, it is coming to an end. 
Dagashi Kashi – Some okay moments but not really that amazing. Decent show to kill some till in. 
Schwarzesmarken – If it would not have gone all dramatic and stuff I would of enjoyed it a lot more but overall it was pretty meh. I am curious how the game changes up the endings though.   
Girls Beyond the Youth – I enjoyed Saekano better.  
Hai to Gensou no Grimgar – Totally was into it initially but it didn’t really change things up. Each episode was the same as the last, also everyone sucks. 
God Eater – A finely polished turned that I did not really find all that enjoyable. Good moments: that one episode about MC’s past was alright though. Also dude went super saiyan in final episode, that was dumb. 
Aokana – No expectations so I could not really be disappointed. 
HaruChika – Average till the end. 
Dimension W – Le

Musaigen ending was quite good for a show that never got to be that special.

Dagashi was consistently disappointing to the end. Quite sure I won't bother watching another season should it come out unless someone tells me there's character progression.

That ends the winter season which as predicted was quite meh overall. Here's hoping for a better spring season, where I'm looking forward to continuing series more than the new ones listed (Ushio and Tora the most.)

2 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Welp, just watched the first episode of Ace Attorney. It feels like a case of bad adaptation, sadly...

Amidst all my hype I'm nowhere near a position to judge, but why do you say that?
The main complaints I've seen are its OST, which, as is only natural, fails to live up to the games', the animation, which is nothing stellar, and people also express concern for the pacing and whatnot, as there's many cases to adapt. It'll be two cour, but that is still a lot of cases, unless some are skipped.
Personally, I had no issue with the animation and I didn't expect anything from the OST in the first place. Can't really judge pacing from the tutorial case, which was, as should be evident, shoved out of the way quickly.

I'm all for the ridiculously cheesy OP, too.

Just now, Tiagofvarela said:

Amidst all my hype I'm nowhere near a position to judge, but why do you say that?
The main complaints I've seen are its OST, which, as is only natural, fails to live up to the games', the animation, which is nothing stellar, and people also express concern for the pacing and whatnot, as there's many cases to adapt. It'll be two cour, but that is still a lot of cases, unless some are skipped.
Personally, I had no issue with the animation and I didn't expect anything from the OST in the first place. Can't really judge pacing from the tutorial case, which was, as should be evident, shoved out of the way quickly.

I'm all for the ridiculously cheesy OP, too.

Oh, I personally enjoyed it.

The main problem I found is that a big part of the game's charm relies on the investigation of the scenes and pre-trial stuff, where you meet speak with the characters and flesh them at least a bit, and that the court scenes are kind of a 4-band conversation with the prosecutor, defendant, judge and witnesses. The necessity of a 20-min episode means that they rush through absolutely everything.

This includes the cross-examination and all that stuff. It gets done really fast, with barely any thinking, which causes the whole scene to have no tension whatsoever. So we lack more time for the characters and scenes, which is impossible unless they spread cases between quite a bunch of episodes, which I'm not sure they can do.

Ofc, I plan to keep watching it and see where it goes. At least up to episode 3-5. I don't want to rush to conclusions too much since it's only the first episode (aka tutorial case), but it lacking all the tension and intensity from the game might be a huge deal breaker. So I'm keeping my hopes low and crossing fingers.