Super Dangan Ronpa 2 (PSP) Translation, Help Needed

VNDB: https://vndb.org/v7679

So an acquaintance of mine came up with a specific text hooking tool he made himself which allows one to replace directly (almost) every text instance in this game.

However, we ran into a major problem: the EBOOT.BIN file contained in the game ISO seems to establish a constant 16-character limit for japanese characters on each line, causing ocidental character text to do unproper line breaks and go unshowed after the limit.

vRO0QTx.png

Could someone help patching around that condition? He has been trying to fix that manually via a hexadecimal editor, but the process seems to make the game crash.

A great part of the code necessary for that was already left by previous translators, but we can't sort out much of what's in there. It might be helpful.

Here

Thanks in advance.

I think it's important to notify you that the translators of the original Danganronpa for the PSP, Project Zetsubou, officially cancelled their SDR2 translation because the Vita version was getting localized. You'll most likely receive no assistance from the makers of the original patch. Consequently, a lot of people who share their view might also decline to help.

That said, I'm glad someone else is coming around to finish this. Would be nice to play it on PC (via emulation).

If it helps, Danganronpa 1's "PSP The Best" version was translated. If SDR2 also has a "PSP The Best" version, then maybe you can examine the source code linked above and find something.

They also released something called "Super Duper Script Editor", which aims to make it easy to translate DR1 to other languages. PZ said that the program needs to be patched to use with any game other than DR1, possibly you could try to adapt that program to SDR2 as a last resort? Website for SDSE: https://danganronpa.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/release-the-super-duper-script-editor-v1-0-0-0/

Edit: I think you need to have an actual PSP with custom firmware to be able to set up SDSE, so be wary of that.

Edit 2: Lines 66-248 from that link you posted seems to be the part you need to analyze (it's specifically dedicated to extending line length). I can offer no assistance for this, however. I lack almost any programming knowledge.

I think it's important to notify you that the translators of the original Danganronpa for the PSP, Project Zetsubou, officially cancelled their SDR2 translation because the Vita version was getting localized. You'll most likely receive no assistance from the makers of the original patch. Consequently, a lot of people who share their view might also decline to help.

[...]

Edit 2: Lines 66-248 seems to be the part you need to analyze (it's specifically dedicated to extending line length). I can offer no assistance for this, however. I lack almost any programming knowledge.

We are aware of that. It is actually theorized that blackdragonhunt purposefully released the code unsupported and incomplete as to difficultate patching and translation for average users, as Project Zetsubou was actually halfway done with the PSP translation when the localization was announced.

About the code for line length extension, said acquaintance has been having some trouble with the 0x000...000 lines in special. As I have little to no knowledge about that level of editing, he told me he doesn't know that are those lines for (to add new bytes or to replace the already existent?) as the offsets in the hexadecimal code do not ever match.

cs1X5o3.png

He says that if they're supposed to append new bytes for more characters, that might be the solution.

They also released something called "Super Duper Script Editor",

I cringe every time I see that phrase *shudder*. What possessed them to translate that into something so childish, I'll never know.

Anyways, why are you guys trying to translate something that's already going to be localised? Seems a bit of a wasted effort imo. There's a ton of games not being released for you guys to work on *shrugs*.

I cringe every time I see that phrase *shudder*. What possessed them to translate that into something so childish, I'll never know.

Anyways, why are you guys trying to translate something that's already going to be localised? Seems a bit of a wasted effort imo. There's a ton of games not being released for you guys to work on *shrugs*.

The reason for this is mainly emotional. The localization exclusivity for PS Vita turned the game way more unaccessible for the crushing great part of the fans, who still wait for an anime adaptation for the game (which was stated by the author to never come), and consequently, the fandom has been dying more and more ever since. Getting a more accessible translation for everyone should at least remediate that.

Also, about other games without a proper translation, I can say for myself I put effort on them, as I am part of a crew who translates the Touhou series to our native language.

I can take a look in the code, when I can at least get a grab of my PC (maybe next weekend)...

We are aware of that. It is actually theorized that blackdragonhunt purposefully released the code unsupported and incomplete as to difficultate patching and translation for average users, as Project Zetsubou was actually halfway done with the PSP translation when the localization was announced.

About the code for line length extension, said acquaintance has been having some trouble with the 0x000...000 lines in special. As I have little to no knowledge about that level of editing, he told me he doesn't know that are those lines for (to add new bytes or to replace the already existent?) as the offsets in the hexadecimal code do not ever match.

cs1X5o3.png

He says that if they're supposed to append new bytes for more characters, that might be the solution.

I do not know what is in code, but from this screenshot it seems that POS is position in eboot, ORIG - original bytes there and PATCH - data to replace original bytes.

I can take a look in the code, when I can at least get a grab of my PC (maybe next weekend)...

I do not know what is in code, but from this screenshot it seems that POS is position in eboot, ORIG - original bytes there and PATCH - data to replace original bytes.

Indeed, that is the correct placement. However, in the lines marked in red, the said position doesn't match the one inside EBOOT.BIN. Even when trying to edit that manually or adding new bytes, the game will not start.

4z4qgL8.png

Other lines seem completely normal.

yrbwz1T.png

Did you actually try running the code? The eboot runs fine for me after patching it automatically, but I don't have edited text to test with it. The reason your stuff is wrong there is because that's a newly-added section (see the extend_eboot function on line 281), so the whole thing should be blank.

Here it is patched anyway if for whatever reason you can't do it: http://a.uguu.se/mgaosy_EBOOT.BIN

The issue has been solved by your file, Kelebek1, so thank you very much for your assistance.

Though two more problems have arisen. The first is that pretty much only the first script file can be actually saved through the tool - all the other ones close the application when attempting to save.

LgnVtol.png

As of the minor problem, in the only file we managed to save, ocidental punctuation goes garbled in-game, so we're forced to write text like this.

NTtnGrK.png

Help appreciated.

The reason for this is mainly emotional. The localization exclusivity for PS Vita turned the game way more unaccessible for the crushing great part of the fans, who still wait for an anime adaptation for the game (which was stated by the author to never come), and consequently, the fandom has been dying more and more ever since. Getting a more accessible translation for everyone should at least remediate that.

Also, about other games without a proper translation, I can say for myself I put effort on them, as I am part of a crew who translates the Touhou series to our native language.

You have my deepest thanks for even attempting this. If you want to make youeselves known and notify ppl about your project then i recomend you link this to Zenabataous super D2 comment section since thousands have been begging for what your attempting

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

9 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

I don't knew if this is still alive or not. But considering that the last update was at one year ago, I think it's already been dead for quite a while. Sorry about that.

too bad i thought i finally find some groups who are willing to translate it