Denpasoft Info & Announcements

kyrt

What is Denpasoft?

Denpasoft is a software company based in California with a focus on quality adult visual novel games from Japan and around the world. They strive to acquire titles that fans in the West want to see and enjoy in English. The company is very very young and the few members on the staff are also work in Sekai Project. The staff is made up of industry veterans and fans of japanese bishoujo games of all kinds.

The website was created to keep adult titles away from the all age titles. Sekai Project puts most if not all titles on steam and Steam has a strict policy with adult content being directly linked in descriptions and the like plus it's a matter of keeping things legal. The website has not really been updated or worked on for quite some time but a website update/overhaul is in the works.

A recent post on Sekai Project's forums explains the current issue with Denpasoft and why it hasn't been updated recently and remember this is a new company;

Dovac: "Denpa's lack of updates is sorely due to not having anything ready for it. Now that we have some more titles coming in we will have staff work on it more and update it. Additionally we've been looking at outsourcing store operations mainly because we're just not good at it."

This post will change over time as new information is added and old information is depleted.

The website went up December 22, 2014. 

Released: 

Nekopara vol.1 18+ currently out of stock (this was a physical release the digital version can be downloaded from DLsite)

Sunrider Academy 18+ a digital release and still available for purchase. Currently selling for $30.00

Grisaia no Kajitsu/Fruit of Grisaia Unrated 18+ digital release currently selling for $39.99 (unrated means that it has all the original 18+ content but the original japanese mosaics are not uncensored)

Sakura Swim Club: An 18+ digital release and the first hentai title of the sakura series. It is currently selling for $9.99.

Upcoming:

Sacrament Sheep: 18+ Yuri VN announced for eventual release by Denpasoft. According to the twitter the game is currently in beta testing. Those interested in viewing an OP can go here.

Atom Grrrl: 18+ Yuri VN announced for eventual release by Denpasoft. Those interested in seeing the OP video for the Japanese version can go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYui6kvzSOk. 

Current Denpa News: 09/11/2015

Sakura Swim Club released.

This will primarily be used to inform people on any announcements, releases, and other information as well as a place to discuss the company itself.

Well, so far. It's not that SP/Denpasoft has some natural aversion to mosaics. Frontwing's unmosaiced CGs are apparently of exceptionally poor quality (so I heard) and were considered unusable. As for Nekopara, there is one adult version of that which was released to the world, in three languages. It isn't like SP took a game that was already made and released an english version of it. In fact, SP/Denpasoft aren't the publishers of the adult version, technically Neko Works are fully responsible for that version. The way that worked is that they contracted SP to translate the 18+ version for them, basically the reverse of what typically happens. Then Neko Works released that version themselves with no decensoring. This is due to the game shipping with all three languages included, and initially (and currently, incidentally) only sold through their own site based in Japan. 

It's a bummer for people who like uncensored CGs, but that's the story for both games. For what it's worth, none of the Sunrider games have mosaics (which should probably be obvious, since they're OELVNs). I imagine that if their other Japanese partners can provide good quality uncensored CGs, they will be used in the future Denpasoft releases. 

What I do not like is unhonest behavior of that publisher. It is not honest not to mention that title have mosaics on product landing page on clearly visible place, I consider that as tricking buyers like me.

MangaGamer state that clearly on product page and so everyone is aware, what they are buying. Denpasoft - opposite, want everyone to think that this is "unrated 18+" version (what first comes to your mind when you see these words together? uncensored, correct?), while in the reality it is mosaic censored one and that stated somewhere deep in FAQ, not visible on landing page, for sure to trick buyers to think that this is uncensored game...

I am absolutely against such fraudulent behavior of Denpasoft (and Sekai as well).

It's honest. They never promised not to have mosaics, and an 18+ version of the game doesn't equate to an unmosaic'd 18+ version of the game. They've clearly mentioned it in other places, and will tell you if you ask, but they're also inexperienced and aren't exceptional at operating a shop (due to inexperience.) This is very different to dishonest behaviour.

MG made some very early stuff ups also.

What I do not like is unhonest behavior of that publisher. It is not honest not to mention that title have mosaics on product landing page on clearly visible place, I consider that as tricking buyers like me.

MangaGamer state that clearly on product page and so everyone is aware, what they are buying. Denpasoft - opposite, want everyone to think that this is "unrated 18+" version (what first comes to your mind when you see these words together? uncensored, correct?), while in the reality it is mosaic censored one and that stated somewhere deep in FAQ, not visible on landing page, for sure to trick buyers to think that this is uncensored game...

So even that I understand, that sometimes not possible to get uncensored images, I cannot stand the fact how they try to trick buyers.

First off i have to respectfully disagree and point out that at no point has Denpasoft been dishonest as far as uncensored/mosaic etc... go. If you look clearly on their website not only do they give a brief summary but they have a FAQ which asks the question if the product is uncensored and the answer is that it is the same as the Japanese release which is mosaiced. There is no tricking because they tell you everything you need to know on the page. 

They are also not against releasing titles without mosaics as we have Sunrider Academy which was made without mosaics. Frontwing's unmosaiced images were horribly drawn and the case is true for a lot of visual novels since often times Japanese artists don't bother to really do anything in detail since they are just going to get a mosaic over them. So far they've only dealt with three companies two of which were from Japan and had either poor quality unmosaiced images or had the company they were talking to be adamant about not having it to protect their own ass. 

I also want it to be known that while Grisaia's page is not yet up "Unrated" is NOT the same thing as "Uncensored". Unrated means it has content not included in the rated version. Uncensored means it removes any censorship that was added in.

To be perfectly frank, no, what enters my mind when I first see "unrated 18+" isn't "no mosaics". In fact, I never even consider mosaics at all. I tend to forget about the issue entirely because I don't care at all. For the few people out there that really deeply care about mosaics, I'm sure it's a bummer when you buy something thinking you'll get one thing and get another, but for me it really doesn't matter.

Sekai Project should just contract out sales of its adult titles to Mangagamer or JAST.  There's really no point in them having their own shop.  Mangagamer can handle both physical and digital distribution.  JAST and J-List are equally capable (though JAST seems to have a no DRM stance on digital releases that might cause issues for Sekai Project).

The website was created to keep adult titles away from the all age titles. Sekai Project puts most if not all titles on steam and Steam has a strict policy with adult content being directly linked in descriptions and the like plus it's a matter of keeping things legal.

Calling BS here.  Mangagamer doesn't use a different brand name for Steam.

I also want it to be known that while Grisaia's page is not yet up "Unrated" is NOT the same thing as "Uncensored". Unrated means it has content not included in the rated version. Uncensored means it removes any censorship that was added in.

this doesnt make sense, because grisaia was censored, plot(jokes sex, violence stuff, etc)+eroge scenes(pure sex scenes), so the unrated version is not going to be uncensored but it's going to include the content that was not included aka the censored content...  :blink: or do you just call censorship to the mosaic included in the eroge scenes?

It's honest. They never promised not to have mosaics, and an 18+ version of the game doesn't equate to an unmosaic'd 18+ version of the game. They've clearly mentioned it in other places, and will tell you if you ask, but they're also inexperienced and aren't exceptional at operating a shop (due to inexperience.) This is very different to dishonest behaviour.

MG made some very early stuff ups also.

You seems missed the point. It is not hard to write "mosaic censorship" on the product page, correct? But no, they avoid doing this, and only reason I can see is that they want to keep that "unrated" != "uncensored" misunderstanding. As I remember dovac told that they refunded people who complained that they wanted uncensored, so Denpasoft is perfectly aware about this matter. But... there is still no mention on product ladning page, so I consider this is intentional and this why I call this dishonest behavior.

I think I was damaged by the hundreds of mosaiced vns I've read; I can't even look at the non-mosaiced HCGs anymore -- they look real creepy to me now xD (I can only imagine how'd they look to a native Japanese that has been brought up on mosaics from the get-go).

Poor guy... :)

To be perfectly frank, no, what enters my mind when I first see "unrated 18+" isn't "no mosaics". In fact, I never even consider mosaics at all. I tend to forget about the issue entirely because I don't care at all. For the few people out there that really deeply care about mosaics, I'm sure it's a bummer when you buy something thinking you'll get one thing and get another, but for me it really doesn't matter.

Yes, and I am along these "few people", who want to know what they buy before they did that. It seems you consider VNs as something special, so you forgive publishers such thing, but I consider them as usual goods, so if I will buy a TV with 3D, but after I bought it I see that there is told in manual, that 3D is supported only for half of screen and it is intended behavior - I would be furious as hell and will be arguing as hell with the shop, etc.. Not the best analogue, but maybe you can get what I mean...

You seems missed the point. It is not hard to write "mosaic censorship" on the product page, correct? But no, they avoid doing this, and only reason I can see is that they want to keep that "unrated" != "uncensored" misunderstanding. As I remember dovac told that they refunded people who complained that they wanted uncensored, so Denpasoft is perfectly aware about this matter. But... there is still no mention on product ladning page, so I consider this is intentional and this why I call this dishonest behavior.

The question is “why should it be needed”? Some part of the community does care about mosaics, but some part of the community care about a lot of things. There’s only so much real estate on the product page, so not everything can be included in big letters as soon as you enter because a certain few believe it’s the most important information. They will learn which information their fanbase most cares about in time. The fact that it will be released in the form that the Japanese received theirs in is the most important thing. Any deviation from that is just a bonus that wasn’t delivered by the original company in question.

Once again, it’s in the FAQ, and once again Sekai hasn’t been shy about telling people about it. You seem to overestimate the number of people who have been kicking up a fuss though.

So once again, because the information is out there, and they’ve been open and forthright about it, it isn’t dishonest.

The question is “why should it be needed”? Some part of the community does care about mosaics, but some part of the community care about a lot of things. There’s only so much real estate on the product page, so not everything can be included in big letters as soon as you enter because a certain few believe it’s the most important information. They will learn which information their fanbase most cares about in time. The fact that it will be released in the form that the Japanese received theirs in is the most important thing. Any deviation from that is just a bonus that wasn’t delivered by the original company in question.

Once again, it’s in the FAQ, and once again Sekai hasn’t been shy about telling people about it. You seem to overestimate the number of people who have been kicking up a fuss though.

So once again, because the information is out there, and they’ve been open and forthright about it, it isn’t dishonest.

It is like telling that cell companies are honest, because they write the info in such small text under the end of contract that you owe them your soul and your wallet for generations. Well, I just wanted Denpasoft to show that information on the landing page, nothing else. User should see all important information (and this is really important information about VN, as it always raise a fuss) when he want to buy an item. I believe I can even prove it in lawcourt, when something like that would make me mad enough and I will have enough time for that  :) My opinion is different from yours, it seems. Anyway, dovac seems do not care about people like me at all.

Not like that at all, actually. Like I said before, they freely give out the information if asked, it's on their website in the FAQ, in normal sized font, and the game they will deliver is the same 18+ game originally given out to the Japanese public, so it's not unreasonable for them to think it wasn't a gigantic issue.

Users will never see all the important information, because there's only so much real estate on the page, and what's important differs from user to user. Most of the information everybody believes is important will be on the page though.

Okay, I got it, you here are die-hard fans of Denpasoft, you worship mosaics and I am like alien from another planet it seems.

Anyway, hello from Earth, inhabitants of the moon :) We here live without mosaics and we like it this way and we consider it important to mention on main game page. Especially because I always thought that "published in the west" means "no mosaics". It was this way for years... Yes, childhood was so good, free from mosaics...

I think I was damaged by the hundreds of mosaiced vns I've read; I can't even look at the non-mosaiced HCGs anymore -- they look real creepy to me now xD (I can only imagine how'd they look to a native Japanese that has been brought up on mosaics from the get-go).

hahaha i know that feeling all too well, when one turns into a pixieshist...

& regarding censoring, even if the aforementioned were not the case, i would defiitely prefer a decent pixilation before pretty bad drawn mankos & chimpos

hahaha i know that feeling all too well, when one turns into a pixieshist...

& regarding censoring, even if the aforementioned were not the case, i would defiitely prefer a decent pixilation before pretty bad drawn mankos & chimpos

When I become rich and old I would definitely hire an artist, who would redraw all these mosaic hell to normal pOnOses and vagOOOOs :)

Wonder if Devil on gstring will also be available there? I mean, I already have the uncut version and will likely only buy the Steam version for the sake of my Steam collection, but I'm sure new fans will want the adult version.

I think I was damaged by the hundreds of mosaiced vns I've read; I can't even look at the non-mosaiced HCGs anymore -- they look real creepy to me now xD (I can only imagine how'd they look to a native Japanese that has been brought up on mosaics from the get-go). -Conjueror

I've been playing VNs for almost 20 years and despite many many years of seeing mosaics and being able to get off on the pics regardless, to me mosaics still suck pixelated dicks (insert long winded discussion about freedom, censorship, oppression and hangover from World War II American influence on Japan they never recovered from).

Wonder if Devil on gstring will also be available there? I mean, I already have the uncut version and will likely only buy the Steam version for the sake of my Steam collection, but I'm sure new fans will want the adult version.

You will get absolutely same version you have now. Means, it is same translation and same censor options (e.g. removing scenes completely rather than overplaying them). And I feel really pity for players in Steam, as lot of scenes actually affect player experience.

Btw, I have physical copy of G-Senjou myself, with really great fan translation, so I would never buy such a rip-off from Sekai, who want to sell same thing, the thing made fans for fans... Consider me as Sekai hater, as 2 monthes ago I was thinking about them positive, but after I checked how they do their biz, how they care about customers and had a talk with dovac - no, not anymore.

Maybe I should fund a demosaic campaign on Kickstarter? :) Well, why not (apart obv reason that Kickstarter most likely ban that)?