Summer 2015 Anime Discussion

Nosebleed

Use this thread to discuss any anime airing during Summer 2015
All other threads made during this time will be merged into this one.

Here we go boiz.

As I mentioned in the chart thread, I plan on watching every anime this season, excluding sequels of things I haven't watched and ultra kiddy shows, so I hope to provide some insight for everything this time around~

Started the season off with Gangsta. I had no clue what this was, didn't even check the synopsis, but it was surprisingly fun.

The OP is awesome, I didn't expect this to be a serious show from the title, but it seems they're touching actual gangster/yakuza (not sure where this is set) themes in a more realistic manner (hell there's even sex in it) and it's actually pretty violent which is rather refreshing to see (no censorship either thank god), I don't know how long it's been since I've watched a more mature show. The visuals are slick, no moe to be seen around here.

I think this is the first time I have seen a deaf person as the protagonist, pretty cool. (Tfw I didn't realize this until 15 minutes had gone by).

I'm excited to see where this show goes, it looks rather promising and the execution was nice. I'm hoping for some cool action scenes to take place, don't disappoint me.

Finally started off with the right foot this season.

• Okusama ga Seito Kaichou.

Well, the good thing is that it's only 8 minutes per episode, I don't think I could put up with all this average comedy for 24 minutes Teeku

I'm pretty sure I read some chapters of this manga before.

If you like ecchi, this is probably a decent-ish option for a small snack. They actually show nipples which is fairly impressive nowadays so you don't need to fear censorship.

Characters didn't really make me feel much, but it's not like I should go into this expecting much character depth which is acceptable I guess.

I can sympathize with Ui's goal. That's a noble dream to strive for. 

The premise of the two main characters being married is at least pretty entertaining because they don't have to beat around the bush like so many romcoms do so they just cut straight to the action.

I'm also surprised they engaged in all that sexual activity in the first episode. 10/10 Pacing.

Remember this kids, anime teaches you everything you need to know about relationships.

Overall, pretty average/meh show but at least there's boobs so it's got that going for it which is nice

I think it'll be fun to actually start watching ongoing anime so I can actually discuss with other peeps on a weekly basis

So far I got my eyes on 

• Charlotte
  • Non Non Biyori Repeat
  • To LOVE-Ru Darkness 2nd (ahhh gotta hurry up and finish the first 3 seasons :makina: )

Looking forward to hearing(reading) NB's comments/reviews as well for other potential goodies I'll be interested in :D

• Okusama ga Seito Kaichou.

Well, the good thing is that it's only 8 minutes per episode, I don't think I could put up with all this average comedy for 24 minutes Teeku

I'm pretty sure I read some chapters of this manga before.

If you like ecchi, this is probably a decent-ish option for a small snack. They actually show nipples which is fairly impressive nowadays so you don't need to fear censorship.

Characters didn't really make me feel much, but it's not like I should go into this expecting much character depth which is acceptable I guess.

I can sympathize with Ui's goal. That's a noble dream to strive for. 

The premise of the two main characters being married is at least pretty entertaining because they don't have to beat around the bush like so many romcoms do so they just cut straight to the action.

I'm also surprised they engaged in all that sexual activity in the first episode. 10/10 Pacing.

Remember this kids, anime teaches you everything you need to know about relationships.

Overall, pretty average/meh show but at least there's boobs so it's got that going for it which is nice

• Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace 

A horror anime huh? Well, this is already a red flag for me since very few horror anime actually manage to be outstanding in any way.

*Sees protagonist is 13 years old*

Oh, it's going to be one of those "edgy teens do edgy things" show isn't it...

Also, why is everyone happily chatting in front of a dismemebered body, and even after that? Seems a bit odd.

Well, there's still this eerie and mysterious atmosphere lingering around so I guess in the end it all kinda works out, assuming there's something at the end of the tunnel. This could easily crumble down in the following episodes if they keep the show too formulatic.

I don't get the protagonist's personality, feels like the show is trying hard to make him look edgy by having him go "This is fun!" over serious matters. The problem is that it's not exaggerated enough to actually seem plausible so it comes off kind of as a half assed version of Suzuya from Tokyo Ghoul. All the protagonist did was smile at every possible mention of a crime happening because his old life was just soooo boring.

Maybe it'll improve over time or perhaps the anime will give us some reason for the protag's personality, right now for me it's a little iffy though.

But the protag's gay friend is reallyyyyyyyyyy annoying.

On the other side of the spectrum though, Akechi is much more entertaining to watch, I usually love logical types like him so I'm looking forward to seeing how his character evolves.

I'm going to assume this will be a case solving type of show which I'm usually not super fond of but can tolerate if done right. Reminds me a bit of Zankyou no Terror, except not as interesting or well directed, but has potential.

Soundtrack was pretty good in the first episode though so it's got that going for it.

It's... intringuing. That's the best word I can describe it as. I won't hype it up much yet but I want to see what it brings to the table since in this first episode there was only crime exposition and no particular development.

The original creator is pretty unknown which makes me lose some hope in the future of the show. The director did some shows I liked though as did the scripwriter so if they do a good job, maybe it'll be interesting.

For other people wondering about watching it, I'd say approach with caution or wait until more episodes are out to see what others think.

Also hoping for traps because the protag is obvious trap bait (and his friend is totally gay for him).

Thoughts on the released anime so far:
Gangsta. - Off to a great start already. It seemed a bit slow but steady. The soundtrack is great. The animation looks alright, nothing spectacular. The no censorship is a bonus too.

Okusama ga Seitokaichou - This is the series that will replace Danna ga Nani something something it seems. I guess the fanservice was to be expected since Seven has made some 18+ works with Pink Pineapple. Generic and subpar story combined with lame fanservice. Meh. That being said, the animation quality is surprisingly good but unfortunately not enough to save the horrible premise.

Haven't seen Ranpo Kitan yet. Will probably watch it in the morning.

• Wakaba*Girl

Cute girls doing cute things. It's only 7 minutes per episode so there's no reason not to watch it :D

It's by the same creator of Kiniro Mosaic. No excuses to miss out on it.

Main girl wants to be a gyaru? Now that's something I've never seen in any moeblob.

How good it is compared to other shows of its type, I'd say it's decently high, lots of friendship incoming is what I feel.

Yuri undertones very likely.

Also the opening is stuck in my head now.

• Miss Monochrome 2

8 Minutes per episode? Yes please!

Kind of sad that Ru-chan now speaks, I liked it more when it was just a regular vacuum cleaner, had this mascot charm.

I think the animation quality went up a bit which is nice. Everything else is just more Miss Monochrome antics so if you liked seaosn 1 season 2 will deliver more of the same.

This time around though it's not as spontaneous and there's a bit more story to the show now which is pretty nice.

Good luck Monochrome-chan, become a top idol~

• Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri 

Some kind of Military x Fantasy genre crossover?

Fantasy meets modern world type of thing.

At first I thought this would be some more Otaku glorification show, but the first episode quickly proved me wrong and the protagonist isn't just some useless teenage otaku which is a relief. It's unusual to see a protagonist that's part of the military, especially an otaku.

Either way, his otakuness doesn't seem to play a huge role in the story aside from shaping his own personality. It's good to know the protagonist actually works to support his hobby too and isn't just a useless NEET.

Some violence was in the first episode as well, even if it was tame, but it makes me hope the show will actually be serious and that there'll be some bigger conflict ahead.

It doesn't seem to be another harem romcom anime which is a big relief, if it turned into that after the way they presented the show in the first episode I'd be kind of disappointed.

I do expect there might be some romantic subplot, judging from all the girls in the opening, but I can not imagine it taking a big toll on the story if they keep focusing on the primary war themes.

I'm curious to see what kind of direction this will take. I'm hoping for exploration and expansion of the setting to be the focus as well as war.

Overall, I'm pretty positive about Gate. It didn't strike me as groundbreaking, but the themes presented were engaging enough to make me want to watch more and I think it has a good chance to succeed.

Also, that goth loli is already best grill even if she didn't appear yet.

Classroom Crisis - Too soon to tell, but it's at least mildly entertaining.  Apparently not going to be a SoL Romcom as previously thought according to the official Twitter account.

Oh, and apparently even the Japanese are aware of Texas Succession jokes...

WA9JpNC.jpg

EDIT:  Never mind.  Apparently that's Chile's flag.  My mistake.

• Classroom☆Crisis

​Uh​​mmm, I'm always 50/50 when it comes to sci-fi shows.

There's so many directions this could go I'm not exactly sure what to expect.

If they bring in some interesting story elements then it could be fun, have them strive for a big goal or something, make use of all the flying ships and other technology.

But if they stay too much time on the ground and focusing on average things it might get stale quickly.

However I wouldn't mind a proper slice of life approach to it either, provided that they make it fun.

There's a decently big cast of characters so the show can always expand on each of them. I hope they don't focus just on the two main girls.

From the synopsis and pictures it seems that it'll be more of a classroom based anime so I would expect the class to be some kind of team in something. Maybe they go on some kind of missions?

I'm not super excited for this because it's not what I normally like in terms of genre, but it's still too early to tell where exactly the show is going so who knows what might come of it.

At the very least it shouldn't be as terrible as Aldnoah.Zero was.

Gangsta is so.... gangsta.... loving it.

Gate feels like a very superior upgraded version of Outbreak Company. Not complaining, definitely hyped for next episode.

Classroom Crisis... well gotta hand it with the animation not CG for the spaceship, so far looks solid. Hopefully it'll turn out good.

• Wakaba*Girl

Cute girls doing cute things. It's only 7 minutes per episode so there's no reason not to watch it :D

It's by the same creator of Kiniro Mosaic. No excuses to miss out on it.

Main girl wants to be a gyaru? Now that's something I've never seen in any moeblob.

How good it is compared to other shows of its type, I'd say it's decently high, lots of friendship incoming is what I feel.

Yuri undertones very likely.

Also the opening is stuck in my head now.

• Miss Monochrome 2

8 Minutes per episode? Yes please!

Kind of sad that Ru-chan now speaks, I liked it more when it was just a regular vacuum cleaner, had this mascot charm.

I think the animation quality went up a bit which is nice. Everything else is just more Miss Monochrome antics so if you liked seaosn 1 season 2 will deliver more of the same.

This time around though it's not as spontaneous and there's a bit more story to the show now which is pretty nice.

Good luck Monochrome-chan, become a top idol~

• Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri 

Some kind of Military x Fantasy genre crossover?

Fantasy meets modern world type of thing.

At first I thought this would be some more Otaku glorification show, but the first episode quickly proved me wrong and the protagonist isn't just some useless teenage otaku which is a relief. It's unusual to see a protagonist that's part of the military, especially an otaku.

Either way, his otakuness doesn't seem to play a huge role in the story aside from shaping his own personality. It's good to know the protagonist actually works to support his hobby too and isn't just a useless NEET.

Some violence was in the first episode as well, even if it was tame, but it makes me hope the show will actually be serious and that there'll be some bigger conflict ahead.

It doesn't seem to be another harem romcom anime which is a big relief, if it turned into that after the way they presented the show in the first episode I'd be kind of disappointed.

I do expect there might be some romantic subplot, judging from all the girls in the opening, but I can not imagine it taking a big toll on the story if they keep focusing on the primary war themes.

I'm curious to see what kind of direction this will take. I'm hoping for exploration and expansion of the setting to be the focus as well as war.

Overall, I'm pretty positive about Gate. It didn't strike me as groundbreaking, but the themes presented were engaging enough to make me want to watch more and I think it has a good chance to succeed.

Also, that goth loli is already best grill even if she didn't appear yet.

The anime adaption of GATE is actually pretty damm tame.

Not in the otaku sense, the characters are pretty well done but in the mange in the attack on the city is a lot more viscous and....bloody.

seems like they toned things down a lot in the anime so it would appeal to younger adiences as well.

So we will most likely also not get all the political things that play a pretty big role in the background of the manga.

Kind of sad they did that but it is not neccesarily bad, i suppose.

The anime adaption of GATE is actually pretty damm tame.

Not in the otaku sense, the characters are pretty well done but in the mange in the attack on the city is a lot more viscous and....bloody.

seems like they toned things down a lot in the anime so it would appeal to younger adiences as well.

So we will most likely also not get all the political things that play a pretty big role in the background of the manga.

Kind of sad they did that but it is not neccesarily bad, i suppose.

No it is pretty bad, much of the appeal of the manga was its' grittiness. I mean the scene with the romanesque soldiers planting a flag on a giant mound of civilian bodies was downright bone chilling, which was completely cut from anime. There are soooooo many parts like that in the manga that give GATE its' unique flavor and edge to stand out amongest the other dozens of fantasy "with characters from the real world" stories out there. The fact that they are taking soo much out pretty much made me drop it. It's like censoring the gore and blood from a Saw movie, sure it's still going to be messed up, but there is soo much less impact to the scenes.

You know what the hell of it is? I'm not even entirely sure that it was their intention, gore and violence is a bit harder to animate and the animation for Gate... while not terabad.... is pretty damn close. You can even see where they tried to cut corners with that "Hulk" movie like style of shifting scenes in boxes over other scenes (with absolutely no animation in the scenes) and the battle at the begining was pathetic compared to the manga. 

If there is one thing positive I kinda like about the anime, before I tossed it into the metaphorical bin and metaphorically pissed on it, was it's focus on the main character Youji Itami. In the manga he is bearly focused on, and pretty much dosn't get any development till the latest chapters.

In short read the manga drop the anime, it's on the road the mediocrity....... and yes I'm bitter.

If gore is needed as badly as you make it out to be for it to stand out, it probably isn't as good as you think. Regardless, I liked the first episode and will continue watching because I try to avoid dropping things.

Also according to MAL, it's an adaption of the LN, not the Manga. Not sure what that difference it makes, if any, but that's what it's listed as.

No it is pretty bad, much of the appeal of the manga was its' grittiness. I mean the scene with the romanesque soldiers planting a flag on a giant mound of civilian bodies was downright bone chilling, which was completely cut from anime. There are soooooo many parts like that in the manga that give GATE its' unique flavor and edge to stand out amongest the other dozens of fantasy "with characters from the real world" stories out there. The fact that they are taking soo much out pretty much made me drop it. It's like censoring the gore and blood from a Saw movie, sure it's still going to be messed up, but there is soo much less impact to the scenes.

You know what the hell of it is? I'm not even entirely sure that it was their intention, gore and violence is a bit harder to animate and the animation for Gate... while not terabad.... is pretty damn close. You can even see where they tried to cut corners with that "Hulk" movie like style of shifting scenes in boxes over other scenes (with absolutely no animation in the scenes) and the battle at the begining was pathetic compared to the manga. 

If there is one thing positive I kinda like about the anime, before I tossed it into the metaphorical bin and metaphorically pissed on it, was it's focus on the main character Youji Itami. In the manga he is bearly focused on, and pretty much dosn't get any development till the latest chapters.

In short read the manga drop the anime, it's on the road the mediocrity....... and yes I'm bitter.

Oh I don't know, tried the first chapter of the manga. Feels completely rushed. I think I'll rather stick with the anime and if it indeed gets bad, I'll switch to the actual Light Novel. 

Meanwhile, I almost skipped the anime because the manga's art sucks hard (dropped the manga at chapter 0).

If gore is needed as badly as you make it out to be for it to stand out, it probably isn't as good as you think. Regardless, I liked the first episode and will continue watching because I try to avoid dropping things.

Also according to MAL, it's an adaption of the LN, not the Manga. Not sure what that difference it makes, if any, but that's what it's listed as.

Huh, didn't eveny know that there was a LN and here I am giving shit to people who didn't know that Grisaia was adapted from a visual novel. What I tried to get at is the immersion factor when a Dragon breathes fire on people and nothing is left but some smokey shoes, my brain flicks a switch and goes yup this is a fantasy show. Then there is the Dragon that breathes fire on people, but it isn't an instant kill, the people are screaming while making horrible gurgling noises. When something is PGified it takes me out of the experience, I become increasingly aware that this is a fictional story and view the material more to critize (a nasty habit of mine) instead of enjoying the experience.  

Still though, was I wrong about the animation? Perhaps I was just getting pissy since it wasn't like the manga, I'm an emotional bastard I know, but it did seem like they cut more corners than is standard.....

Oh I don't know, tried the first chapter of the manga. Feels completely rushed. I think I'll rather stick with the anime and if it indeed gets bad, I'll switch to the actual Light Novel. 

Well, I can't really deny that.

On a side note I find it interesting that several of the novels were rewritten with less political commentary and a different ending in the transition from online novel to light novel. I gotta dig deeper........ Well never fucking mind, neither the original online novel or the light novels have been translated. (flips table)