Community Updates 4/25/15 (including new theme!)

Dark-Theme.jpg

The promised day has come at last! Behold the dark theme! I'll talk about that in just a sec, but first a few other notes:

My Absence

• I've posted about this before, but the last few weeks have been extremely challenging in school and I've been dealing with some depression. Sorry I haven't been around as much as I wanted to be. I'll need your help identifying where we're slacking so I can catch up on my Fuwa work
  • I gotta go through all those posts by Eclipsed. What's he trying to do? Do my job or something? : P

Forums Cleanup

• The mods and I will have a chat about some of the posts I'm seeing around the boards. Fuwa's meant to be a fun place, but we all need to work together to make sure it doesn't become trashy. Look for more info soon.

Front Site and Traffic Loss (This is the more meaty-part of my post today)

• (Recall: there was speculation as to how much traffic we'd lose after dropping torrents)
  • I've been saying a lot lately that we haven't seen the drop in traffic hit Fuwa yet. Well, I've crunched some numbers and it does look like we've lost ~18-23% of our traffic to the front site (it varies month-by-month, so that range is a cumulative average which is the best data we're going to get)
  • The forums and blog traffic haven't been significantly affected. In fact, both have generally risen in traffic
  • Fuwa's SEO rating and visibility has increased dramatically -- especially in (randomly) Indonesia, Spain and France. We've seen bumps in US search ranking, too.
  • The drop in front site traffic may or may not be related to torrents. The front site is kinda crappy atm: I think part of the drop is that it isn't doing a whole lot, yet, so we really do need to get the new design up as soon as is reasonably possible. Nay and I have both been unavailable the last few weeks, but we both make it a goal to come back and hit the Fuwa work this coming week with some vigor and vim
  • I'm still not sure how much traffic we're getting to our VNTS posts from the link on the weekly Reddit post, but I just want to say it's awesome they are still doing it. The mods and demeatloaf are nice people, and I really appreciate their help
  • Also, the VNTS posts are starting to get a lot of references on social media and google analytics (which increases our SEO rating), especially on Saturdays. At least as of right now, our wager on Saturday posts is paying off
  • I'll be posting in the LC and then, after, publicly about site finances. I'll be trying something new in the second quarter of the year, so expect more details soon

Dark Theme

• The dark theme will be going live in 15 minutes. Please share the hype.
  • If we don't like the menu placement, we can make an easy change to the logo which would let the menu be flush on the left
  • All of the submitted dark theme logos were really nice (well... almost all of them : P), but they didn't all play well with the dark theme's background. I used this one b/c it works well, but I think we can swap through them periodically.
  • If we want to TRY an animated background, it's easy to turn on/off (just commenting/un-commenting a line in a .js file)
  • The theme's first name is "The Infinite Stomach", which is meant to be a shout-out and "thank you" to Clephas. You really class the place up and you single handedly fight the loli menace. Not to mention you're one of a very select club of true VN masters. We're lucky to have you with us. Much < 3.
  • The Dark theme's name will change periodically to recognize people, or be a prize in a site competition, etc.

D'acc, other themes will still be accessible right ?

Of course!

I'm liking the theme (knowing it would be a space background I would have gone for a different logo though).

Can't complain though. 

Glad you like it : ). The background image is super-easily changed, too, so I guess future logo changes can be submitted with a custom backdrop, too. The space background was easy and quick, that's the only reason I chose it : P.

EDIT: The theme is live!

Tried fixing the logo a bit with fading since I can't exactly code it to be behind the bar, it should look a bit better now.

When Nay's back I'll ask if it can actually go behind it.

I really like this theme, I might even switch over from fuwafabulous, we'll see.

I'm liking the theme (knowing it would be a space background I would have gone for a different logo though).

Can't complain though. 

Tried fixing the logo a bit with fading since I can't exactly code it to be behind the bar, it should look a bit better now.

When Nay's back I'll ask if it can actually go behind it.

I really like this theme, I might even switch over from fuwafabulous, we'll see.

Done and done. Logo is fixed. Gravity green is still the best.

Hi dark theme is awesome

But Tay pls see if there's anything wrong with shoutbox permissions for BMs all other user groups can edit their own posts

I'm sure there is, now that you mention it. I might as well merge the BM groups while I'm at it, tho. I'll make a post in the BM board. Because that's what I do. I make posts. Lots of them.

Forums Cleanup

• The mods and I will have a chat about some of the posts I'm seeing around the boards. Fuwa's meant to be a fun place, but we all need to work together to make sure it doesn't become trashy. Look for more info soon.

I blame the FSG :P

But seriously speaking, it's gotten to the stage where I just avoid certain boards on the forum. 

• I've been saying a lot lately that we haven't seen the drop in traffic hit Fuwa yet. Well, I've crunched some numbers and it does look like we've lost ~18-23% of our traffic to the front site (it varies month-by-month, so that range is a cumulative average which is the best data we're going to get)
  • The forums and blog traffic haven't been significantly affected. In fact, both have generally risen in traffic

Consequences doesn't seem to have been too harsh. Front page traffic is down because it's lost its purpose and Fuwa hasn't yet replaced it with another. I have to try and get more stuff to Zaka so we can all help boost the blog's value, but am dealing with some problems at home atm (Damage done and general consequences by recent violent storm in Australia. Sending messages to landlord. Helping out friends repair their homes. Watching all the glorious, GLORIOUS sport on TV yesterday... important stuff :P)

I blame the FSG :P

But seriously speaking, it's gotten to the stage where I just avoid certain boards on the forum. 

Consequences doesn't seem to have been too harsh. Front page traffic is down because it's lost its purpose and Fuwa hasn't yet replaced it with another. I have to try and get more stuff to Zaka so we can all help boost the blog's value, but am dealing with some problems at home atm (Damage done and general consequences by recent violent storm in Australia. Sending messages to landlord. Helping out friends repair their homes. Watching all the glorious, GLORIOUS sport on TV yesterday... important stuff :P)

In other words, typical Australia trying to kill you stuff.

I'm hoping we don't see more stagnation of Fuwanovel. Not sure how long a stagnated Fuwa survives. 

In other words, typical Australia trying to kill you stuff.

I'm hoping we don't see more stagnation of Fuwanovel. Not sure how long a stagnated Fuwa survives. 

To be fair, I don't think we've been stagnating. I mean, maybe there hasn't been anything crazy here on the forums, but I'd say we've done some really cool things in the last few weeks:

• VNTS posts were made every Saturday
  • (Edit) As part of ^ I've tweaked and improved VNTL-Moon
  • I arranged to have a link to our VNTS posts included in demeatloaf's /r/visualnovels/ weekly reddit post
  • Zaka hasn't killed me (yet)
  • I've networked with a big chunk of the TL groups on VNTL-Moon and have reached out to ~40% of the groups (if extant) who made the patches for games we used to host
  • Stray Cat still looks great
  • I've had great chats with J-List and some people who work at MG, and will be contacting Sekai tomorrow about getting game keys for reviews and other activities
  • One really cool thing I've been working on is networking with a bunch of really passionate otome bloggers/reporters and making cool plans (more on this, later)
  • I've made progress on the front site text assets
  • (Edit) Oh, and ~5 hours of work on the behind-the-scenes reviews site
  • The recognition team has done some really, really great work

I don't blame anyone on the forums for feeling like we were in a 'stagnation' period -- I didn't post about ^ this stuff, after all, until just now. That said, I just want to assure everybody that a lot of work is being done each week outside the forums : P. I don't think we've gone a week since the New Year without making progress on one major project or another.

Wow, this theme totally screwed my blog which I used white text instead of spoiler tag <_<

Try reading the recognition blog weekly lists with this theme, it's impossible. ;----;

• The recognition team has done some really, really great work

Hm, I'd say that we've actually been doing pretty poorly lately, due to RL issues happening to all the members and all that. You can tell by looking at our feed which was composed of only our weekly list until yesterday. Regardless, I still appreciate it.  :wahaha: