Fuwanovel Video Game Club

Kurisu-Chan

LhZPwWFl.jpg

Welcome to the Fuwa Video Game Club

The purpose of this video game club is to... well... play games and talk about them. To being with, it is divided into two groups, a retro club, and a modern club. You absolutely can take part in each group. Each month, I will pick a genre, and we will pick a game for each club from that genre, and over the course of the month, aim to play a certain number of hours. After a week, we will discuss the games in dedicated threads as we play them. This thread will be for giving out the info each month, regarding what games are being played, as well as assisting people in necessary emulation for certain titles. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. 

For the retro group, emulation may become necessary, as many games are no longer in print or are on hard to find/costly systems. The retro group may also at times be playing an older PC game, many of which can be found on GoG.com. I highly encourage people to purchase the games when at all possible. That said, below, in the spoiler tag, is a list of what I feel are the best emulators for certain consoles. You can always use The Emulator Zone to find alternative emulators.

April Games

Modern Club: One Way Herocis (Available on Steam for under $5 USD Log ~3 hours of Game time)
Retro Club: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Gameboy Advance, Log ~3 Hours of Game time)

May Games

Modern Club: Limbo

Retro Club: Super Robot Taisen: OG 

June Games

Modern Club: F.E.A.R.

Retro Club: The Legend of Zelda: Ocirina of Time

You have found the club now. Let us move on to a thread that is close and dear to my heart. I show my love for this little series.

If we're spending a whole month on a single platformer it should probably be something with quite a bit of depth with lots to explore. My recommendation would be Super Mario World (SNES) since it has an insane amount of secrets and alternate paths to explore, besides just being a pretty beefy platformer to begin with.

However, I have a question: do Metroidvania games count as platformers? If so I would suggest any of the following three:

Super Metroid (SNES), Metroid II Return of Samus (GB) or Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)

Super Metroid is just amazing, hands down, and a classic everyone should play. Return of Samus is the gameboy Metroid that maybe not as many people are familiar with, but has all the goodness of the other Metroid games but with more of a 'hunt down all Metroids' feel to the progression/gameplay. Castlevania Circle of the Moon is the first of the portable Castlevanias and has all their awesome atmosphere, music, monsters and exploration but unlike the games that came after it it doesn't place as much emphasis on item collection and micromanaging of souls and weapons and stuff, so it's more of a platformer and less of an RPG than the later ones.

I think we could easily spend a whole month exploring any of those four games.

If we're spending a whole month on a single platformer it should probably be something with quite a bit of depth with lots to explore. My recommendation would be Super Mario World since it has an insane amount of secrets and alternate paths to explore, besides just being a pretty beefy platformer to begin with.

However, I have a question: do Metroidvania games count as platformers? If so I would suggest any of the following three:

Super Metroid, Metroid II Return of Samus or Castlevania: Circle of the Moon

Super Metroid is just amazing, hands down, and a classic everyone should play. Return of Samus is the gameboy Metroid that maybe not as many people are familiar with, but has all the goodness of the other Metroid games but with more of a 'hunt down all Metroids' feel to the progression/gameplay. Castlevania Circle of the Moon is the first of the portable Castlevanias and has all their awesome atmosphere, music, monsters and exploration but unlike the games that came after it it doesn't place as much emphasis on item collection and micromanaging of souls and weapons and stuff, so it's more of a platformer and less of an RPG than the later ones.

I think we could easily spend a whole month exploring any of those four games.

Yes, I consider Metroid games platformers. Rather the older ones. As for spending a single month on a platformer, it'd be more of a time based thing. Once I see what is picked, I'll set a certain time goal for people to meet. The discussion posts will go up towards the end of the month just for organizational and timing purposes. Alternatively, I can post them a week after the game is picked to allow for "on the go" discussion. Actually, I'll do that. I like it better.

On another note, if I see enough people want to play something a bit out of genre, I don't mind one bit. This should be about having fun, not going by strict rules. 

I have no idea what a modern rogue-like is.

For retro platformer, I'm game for Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance all the way. Or any Castlevania for that matter, so as long as it's easy to get. 

Games that make you go through hell for nothing and redo everything if you mess up.   :makina:

For retro, I'd like to nominate Mega Man X. I can't remember which one I played, but Mega Man was my favorite game for the NES. I kinda skipped from NES to N64, so I never got to play any SNES games. :(

I don't believe I've played any modern games that fit the bill, so I'll just leave that you guys. :> Good opportunity to try something different.

Modern roguelike: Binding Of Isaac Rebirth, hands down.

Retro platformer: Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA)

It is a remake of the first Metroid. My first run took me near four hours (arguably more since death brings you back to your last save, but part of the fun of the game is to make subsequent runs to improve your time).

So for retro, I'm getting the feeling we will either be doing a Metroid game, or Castlevania game. For modern, Issac and One Way Heroics seem like the common ones. Keep your suggestions coming. Tomorrow, I'll pick the games. Again, next month will be picked differently and in a more organized way 

Just their boss, and actually he retired from that studio.

So please, don't blame innocent people.

refer above

Anyway, it was an interesting game. Might play that as well, though I'd have to "buy" it (I cannot buy anything right now, saving up to buy danganronpa 2 and 999)

I will keep my vote for One Way Heroics for the rogue-like but I'll also put my vote towards one of the metroid or castlevania games for the retro platform game. (I didn't see anyone even show interest in the "godzilla" game I offered). that saying I rather dislike platform games in general so couldn't care less really what get picks although I would prefer if it were not megaman.