Pom pom hello

Renumnum

Hello everyone!

Well, well, it seems like forever since I last wrote an introduction topic on a forum like this. It brings back memories; this feels like the 2000s all over again. :) Anyway~, as you can probably see, I'm new around here. I've known the site for some time but I can't say I've been lurking much, even... in truth, I'm not really a great VN reader by any stretch of the imagination.

But recently, I started reading some VNs in Japanese, both as practice for my Japanese and because I just... I've just always liked romantic stuff, which happens to make up a lot of VNs out there. Well, since my Japanese isn't exactly stellar, I stumble quite a bit, and sometimes I'd find myself wanting to ask other people for advice on some (more or less basic) piece I don't get. So I was thinking, maybe on a community site like this, there would be some place to post this kind of questions?

Of course, I could always post on something like the Japanese StackExchange, but... it's kind of scary. :3 It's big, pro, with lots of very serious people, talking about very serious stuff like business, litterature, and what not...

All in all, I'm just looking for a friendly place to lurk, I guess!

Thanks for the welcome messages!

What is your favourite vn so far?

My favorite VN? Well, let's see, as I said, I haven't read a lot. The first VN I've ever played was Tsukihime and I liked it... since it was the first, I guess it's kind of special among VNs I've enjoyed. :) It's somewhat uncharacteristic though, as I find the other stuff that came out of Type-Moon really meh... I've also played a couple of more slice-of-lifey romance-focused VNs like D.C., Shuffle!, or Yume Miru Kusuri, but among those the one that I actually remember most fondly was a small VN called Crescendo; it was pretty short and rather modest, in both scope and execution, but I think it managed well in its own simple way.

I didn't realize it at first, but after being on the forum for awhile I noticed there are more people learning Japanese than I had originally thought. Soo~ there are lots of people doing the same thing as you on here ^_^ (including me)

That's good to hear. If you don't mind my asking, how far along are you in your studies? Do you understand everything that you read... or do you even try to? My (fairly limited) experience up to now goes something like this... I can understand a few paragraphs just fine and then comes a sentence I don't quite get, and my flow gets disrupted, and I start to obsess over that one mysterious sentence!

By the way, I read the last few messages from the topic Fiddle pointed me to and saw somebody complaining about it not being the right place for beginners, so I'm not sure I should be asking something on there... though the other topic "for beginners" ( http://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/4966-japanese-help-thread-for-beginnersstarters/) seems kinda dead...

That's good to hear. If you don't mind my asking, how far along are you in your studies? Do you understand everything that you read... or do you even try to? My (fairly limited) experience up to now goes something like this... I can understand a few paragraphs just fine and then comes a sentence I don't quite get, and my flow gets disrupted, and I start to obsess over that one mysterious sentence!

By the way, I read the last few messages from the topic Fiddle pointed me to and saw somebody complaining about it not being the right place for beginners, so I'm not sure I should be asking something on there... though the other topic "for beginners" ( http://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/4966-japanese-help-thread-for-beginnersstarters/) seems kinda dead...

One of my favorite romance VN is Crescendo as well^^

Umm, I'd say I'm about close to N3 level probably. I think I know a couple hundred kanji, but not sure what the exact number is... I might recognize more. It depends on how difficult the reading material is, and I do use text hooker to help me look up words I don't know. My progress sounds similar to you though, especially on more difficult VNs... even though it seems like I should know the grammar, and the vocabulary used in the sentence, I may still not totally understand what it's trying to say still... so yes, it can be frustrating~.  There's a VN I'm reading right now which seems to be more beginner level, so I don't encounter that problem nearly as much with the harder ones, and can read way faster without having to stop a lot.

Also, someone told me not to obsess over one sentence too much if you at least understand the gist. The point is to keep reading as much as you can to get more exposure and practice.

Well, it seems the thread Fiddle pointed you towards is catered more to help people who are trying to Translate something on their projects I think. It looks like the thread you linked is Pinned, so yeah, you could probably revive it even if it's dead. It's worth a try, someone may help you if they see it^^