Choose One to Save

Kurokusari

Choose one  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Yourself, Your Wife/Husband, Your Child?

This poll is closed to new votes

Yeah this was shamelessly ripped from Eien no Aselia but I was really intrigued by this question. Believe it or not, I spent good 10 minutes thinking about my answer on this one. The question goes something like this:

"You are married to the woman/man you love and you have a happy family with one child. But this didn't last forever. You were suddenly hit by an accident and you can only save one. Who will you save; yourself, your wife/husband, your child?"

The choices are the same but I added the 'None' to mix it up a bit.

For some missing details, try to imagine the situation as your own in the future. On what is the most possible situation you'll have at this point of time. Your child can be a boy or a grill, whichever you prefer.

I hope you won't simply slap an answer and that's it. I'm curious to how will you reason your morals and views on why did you choose that specific person to save. We can discuss about our different answers and views but please try not to get butthurt too much. And people, try not to provoke others into it. I'm sure you guys are good enough to phrase it non-aggressively. I'd like to keep this as civil as much as possible.

Now to start off, my answer.

I'd choose my child. I'm sure that it'll be hell after he survives but at least he has some hope. I have my siblings and I'm very sure that they'll take care of them when I'm gone. Living without parents will be tough but he still has a long road ahead of him. I'll pray that he'll find his happiness like his parents. The reason why I didn't choose myself or my wife is because by this point of our lives, I'm sure that we already enjoyed the ups and downs in life. 

I'm aware that this a bit too sentimental since the forums have a lot threads like boobs, traps, lolis, moe, boobs, etc. Some sort of serious discussion might be a good change of pace. Or you guys might raise pitchforks and chase me out of town

Edit: I CAN'T MAKE A POLL. IT'S SO HARD.

Edit: I did it. Now praise me.

It might sound horrible but I would save myself, as the damn human I am I want to live and happiness can achieved multiple times so yeah....

It's your choice so dw about it. I only want live until I'm satisfied so I'll gladly pass the baton at this point in my life. I don't mind dying early as long as I won't regret anything. They do say that happiness is a choice so you do have a point here. Being happy again after recovering from something like this is feasible.

Myself, there's no question about it. I can't even think of how to explain it besides "My life is worth more to me than anyone else's". Never been particularly sad about anyone's death either... Also don't think I will in the future.  

Now to what really matters, waifu wars.

Orpha is still the best of the three. And Tokimi is the best heroine of that game. 

Myself, there's no question about it. I can't even think of how to explain it besides "My life is worth more to me than anyone else's". Never been particularly sad about anyone's death either... Also don't think I will in the future.  

Now to what really matters, waifu wars.

Orpha is still the best of the three. And Tokimi is the best heroine of that game. 

That's one deep degree of being apathetic. I won't say that it's selfish since most people don't want to die but there's always a chance for that to change. I was the same back then until I got a dog. I loved that dog more than people and her death pretty much almost killed me. I was also apathetic back then, too, but one person changed that. Who knows? Life's a pretty long road and you might also have the same experience. I sound like an old man.

Haven't been that deep yet but I'm glad that Tokimi is the best heroine. I already had a good impression of her.

I'm aware that this a bit too sentimental since the forums have a lot threads like boobs, traps, lolis, moe, boobs, etc. Some sort of serious discussion might be a good change of pace. Or you guys might raise pitchforks and chase me out of town

On the contrary, many have been complaining recently of the lack of serious and meaningful threads, and it delights me, as I'm sure it does many others, to see a new one pop up. You should be proud.

Now back on topic. I chose child because well, out of the things a human must sacrifice himself for, children are one of the most important. I don't think I have to point out why children are important, like for the continuation of mankind and all that, but at least when compared to yourself and even your wife, they definitely come first.

Would you be able to even live with the knowledge that you prioritized your own self over your wife and child? Will a women accept the fact that her life was prioritized over her own child and husband? I think these are both rhetorical questions, at least for most people.

That's one deep degree of being apathetic. I won't say that it's selfish since most people don't want to die but there's always a chance for that to change. I was the same back then until I got a dog. I loved that dog more than people and her death pretty much almost killed me. I was also apathetic back then, too, but one person changed that. Who knows? Life's a pretty long road and you might also have the same experience. I sound like an old man.

Haven't been that deep yet but I'm glad that Tokimi is the best heroine. I already had a good impression of her.

Nah, I embrace being selfish. To further develop my rationale with the question, if I were already safe and it were, say, a wallet with one hundred thousand dollars instead, I'd pick it over the other two without hesitation (if people weren't looking. Wouldn't like making headlines for my choice).

Lived most of my life like this, but who knows. Maybe I'll get scared of an afterlife when I'm old and try to change my ways before death.

A dog, huh? That's an interesting story. Thanks for sharing.  

I'd probably choose my child, if I get to the point where I have a wife and a child, i assume I love my wife and most defintive my child, if I survived and both of them died i'd loose the assumed happiness I had managed to finally gain, I wouldn't say that I would not have been able to live with myself, but i'm sure it'd make my life hard.

On the contrary, many have been complaining recently of the lack of serious and meaningful threads, and it delights me, as I'm sure it does many others, to see a new one pop up. You should be proud.

A reformist is usually someone who is met with cold glares. Although I wouldn't exactly call myself a reformist either. Just a bit weird, I guess. Thanks for this one. I'm glad that it could be well-received by some people in the community.

Nah, I embrace being selfish. To further develop my rationale with the question, if I were already safe and it were, say, a wallet with one hundred thousand dollars instead, I'd pick it over the other two without hesitation (if people weren't looking. Wouldn't like making headlines for my choice).

Lived most of my life like this, but who knows. Maybe I'll get scared of an afterlife when I'm old and try to change my ways before death. 

You're quite the unique person, I guess? But still choosing money over family, it makes me curious as to what kind of experiences you had to turn out like this. No offense or prying intended.

They say wisdom comes with age. People definitely experience those life-changing moments before that kind of age. Or they just have more time to think then. I'm too young to know  :P

"Self Preservation above all else" is my motto.

Of course, during the actual event  I wouldn't know. I'm not married nor do I have a child, I wouldn't know my feelings then.

There are a lot of events where what people choose rationally is different from their choice in the actual event. Maybe it's because of the atmosphere or just the lack of time to think. 

Btw, if it were you, would you like experience something that would change that motto of yours? I'm not questioning it since all of us abide to some sort of personal virtues.

100k over your wife/child? As always, Kaguya, you're 3edgy5me.  :P

As for directly answering the question, beats me. I've never been close to married, but I've been pretty selfish when I've been in relationships. I would *like* to think I'd go with saving my own child over myself though, but I don't truthfully know if I'd have it in me.

Logically through an evolutionary standpoint the only two picked are the only two options since either you go on to make more offspring or your existing offspring survive.  

I'd go with child just more sentimentally but I see the logic behind either of them. 

Btw, if it were you, would you like experience something that would change that motto of yours? I'm not questioning it since all of us abide to some sort of personal virtues.

The question is pretty pointless you know? If it's my motto now it's because I believe it, if it isn't then I'll stop believing it.

I promise you I would end up saving myself. I might like to think otherwise, to make myself feel like some kind of hero, but let's be realistic. It is so easy to say you will save someone else if that ended up happening... but I would love to see how many people would actually follow through. I don't believe that the number of people who would is particularly high.

As you might have been able to tell, I don't have very much faith in humanity.

I promise you I would end up saving myself. I might like to think otherwise, to make myself feel like some kind of hero, but let's be realistic. It is so easy to say you will save someone else if that ended up happening... but I would love to see how many people would actually follow through. I don't believe that the number of people who would is particularly high.

I assume we're talking ideal happy marriage here.  

Everyone is mostly picking their child/himself and almost no one picks their wife/husband. I understand not dragging everyone to the grave but doesn't anyone feel anything for their partner? Or maybe I should replace it with waifu.

As for directly answering the question, beats me. I've never been close to married, but I've been pretty selfish when I've been in relationships. I would *like* to think I'd go with saving my own child over myself though, but I don't truthfully know if I'd have it in me.

I just hope that you'll have the resolve when you have the decision like this.

Logically through an evolutionary standpoint the only two picked are the only two options since either you go on to make more offspring or your existing offspring survive.  

I'd go with child just more sentimentally but I see the logic behind either of them. 

What no one wants their 3d waifu? Jokes aside, I don't think most people can bear it to be this pragmatic in this kind of decisions.

The question is pretty pointless you know? If it's my motto now it's because I believe it, if it isn't then I'll stop believing it.

True but a change of values is never boring imo.

My child. I don't see any reason to have one if you're not willing to put it above all else.

It seems like there are a lot of people who prioritizes their child.

My wife

I don't want to have children and I don't really value my own life highly so

So you hate kids? Might be different if it's your own flesh and blood.

promise you I would end up saving myself. I might like to think otherwise, to make myself feel like some kind of hero, but let's be realistic. It is so easy to say you will save someone else if that ended up happening... but I would love to see how many people would actually follow through. I don't believe that the number of people who would is particularly high.

This is mostly how you honestly feel and how you value people's lives aside from yourself but if that's your take on this then it's all good. And yes, there are people who will fail to follow through but this is just a theoretical situation where you have time to rationalize on what you really want.

I assume we're talking ideal happy marriage here.  

Yeah I did mention a happy marriage.

10k would probably be good enough, realistically speaking. Or less. No idea 'bout the market price for a person and don't know how I would feel about giving away the ideal partner (plus one brat I don't want, I guess... Can't really think of a kid I'd like having, except if they generated income with their awesome supah-genius) for cash that won't make too much of a difference until it happened, but 100k is definitely enough. 

You're quite the unique person, I guess? But still choosing money over family, it makes me curious as to what kind of experiences you had to turn out like this. No offense or prying intended.

Nothing particularly interesting. As far as I remember, I've always been extremely selfish and no one managed to convince me that's not the optimal path for maximum happiness through my life (alongside with planning for the future, having a more or less balanced diet and keeping as much money as possible, of course. Just being selfish won't do you much good) . Though if you want experiences, a teacher who was obsessed with logic and rationality (who had a pretty strict moral code, actually... Though I never saw the logic in it) and being exposed to extreme poverty (without living in it, thankfully) since ever may have gotten me like this.

It is so easy to say you will save someone else if that ended up happening... but I would love to see how many people would actually follow through. I don't believe that the number of people who would is particularly high.

I don't know. While I don't know if I could personally do it, you do hear/read plenty of news stories of people being that selfless. Definitely not the majority, no, but I wouldn't say it's such an insignificant number to say people wouldn't go that far for their own flesh and blood or even their romantic partner.

My wife

I don't want to have children and I don't really value my own life highly so

This, more or less. And my wife would hopefully be the person I love, while the child is just a byproduct of that. But if I had a child anyway it might be better to save the child. I don't think the wife would be happy to be alive after both the husband and child has died. And the child would probably get out with the lest amount of trauma. But in the heat of the moment I would probably save my self, if there is some thinking time, maybe not.

What no one wants their 3d waifu? Jokes aside, I don't think most people can bear it to be this pragmatic in this kind of decisions.

Just thinking that way makes the most sense to me, not to say it isn't a hard choice.  However, having a child means putting them first, and protecting their future is essential.

so what kind of death are we facing here? I need more details to help me make a conclusion... but assuming its painless, probably myself/ my wife, because 1, I don't want to die, no one would want that, 2,I wouldn't want whoever surviving that tragic to miss me since I saved them instead of myself.3. The child is got to have a parent around, assuming he/she survived. , #3 is thinking hypothetically in the situation where I saved someone else, so assuming I'm dead, i'm assuming the most positive situation in which the child survives...   One really nice you have done is you left parents out...I thought this was one of those...but it got slimmed down I guess, would have been a much more difficult choice